Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ishina Interview Thread

(Read 23478 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ishina Interview Thread
     Reply #60 - April 05, 2013, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the well-thought-out answers, Ishina. I'm really enjoying reading them (:

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #61 - April 05, 2013, 06:05 AM

^ Jema, your avatar is just too adorable.

Great responses Ishina Afro
     Reply #62 - April 05, 2013, 11:54 AM

marry me Ishina

LOL

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #63 - April 05, 2013, 12:37 PM

How many marriage proposals have you got since you started being awesome?
     Reply #64 - April 05, 2013, 06:31 PM

I don't care how many proposals she has had.  She's mine.  She is into grafitti art, likes to write and loves being a ninja.  She is my siamese twin dammit and she's all mine.  Screw proposals, I'm just gonna capture her in a bag like Borat did to Pam Anderson.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #65 - April 06, 2013, 02:46 PM

K, I'm trying to keep these answers short, but it's hard to stop writing once you start.

What's your favourite genre of music?

This is always one of my fave questions to answer. But also impossible to answer.

Music has always been fluid to me. I listen to all kinds of it. From Sex Pistols to Enya, gangsta rap to classical. I can appreciate music from any genre if it's crafted with love and art or has integrity and soul. There is no such thing as a good or bad genre to me, just good and bad music to my ears. You either feel it or you don't. My taste is subject to change, subject to my current mood, subject to what I happen to have listened to recently.  Ask me what my favourite music is today and I'll probably tell you. As me again tomorrow and it might be something completely different.

I think certain music universally reaches us all. Pavarotti in his prime hitting those high C's in Nessun Dorma. Only someone with a dead heart or the overly-cynical wouldn't be moved by that. And I think anyone can appreciate a typical lyrical song, me included. I can fall in love with catchy pop songs as fully as I can something more cerebral. There isn't much I wont dance or sing along to. I'm also suspicious of people who don't love the big Soul and Motown classics. I'd have to check their pulse if they said they don't appreciate it.

There are some genres I just don't 'get'. I don't have an ear for them. Like Country and Western, I couldn't tell anyone which song was a good example and which was a bad one. But I can still occasionally happen upon a C&W song that I quite like. Or someone who does know the genre could offer up some select choices, and I'd appreciate them, even if I might not rush out to buy it. Or jazz. I love jazz, or rather the jazz that I've heard. But I wouldn't know where to begin entering its mysterious depths and could never claim any expertise or musical knowledge. I've never really gotten into that world, have no real starting point to orientate myself. I know some of the big names. I know I love the jazzy stuff Robert Glasper does. I know I worship Nina Simone. I'm just not a jazz head. That might change in the future. I don't know.

I will give you an answer though. I think we all must have one kind of music that plays us like a fiddle. That strums the heart strings. And the music that hooked me the most is old skool dance. I know that's not really a genre, but that's the 'vibe' that gels with me. Old skool jungle/hardcore/rave/acid house/jazzstep. This kind of thing:

Nookie – Only You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgZqD8tTNQ

LTJ Bukem – Atlantis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxWuggikvyE

Goldie – Sensual
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Z7WND01xE

Adam F – Circles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRNYUucKvA

Source Direct – Shimmer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1VY0enVqvA

Trace – Lost Entity Remix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeTDhbm0HsI

As well as a bit of this kind of thing:

The Future Sound of London — Papua New Guinea
    Liquid – Sweet Harmony
    808 State – Pacific State
    The Prodigy – One Love
    N-Joi – Anthem
    Opus III – It's A Fine Day

There is something about those old skool piano chords and synth that lights my heart up. It's like the rest of the world fades out and it's just me and the music. I could reel off a list of thousands of tracks I want everyone to listen to, but I'll restrain myself. It's not everyone's cuppa, I understand that. Trust your ears. They don't lie to you.

I really wish I was born a few years earlier so I could have gone to those late 80s/early 90s raves. We only really caught the tail end of it. The Hacienda in here in Manchester is legendary. Ravers still tell tales of it to this day. It lost its licence before I ever got a chance to rave there. But still, rave lives on. The music and the ethos is still alive and kicking.

I love Jungle, Drum & Bass, Liquid Funk, Liquid Jazz, Dubstep, Techstep, Darkstep, Neurofunk, Hardcore, House, Trance, Acid House, Acid Jazz, Garage, Big Beat. I love Soul, R&B, Hip Hop (more on that later), Funk, New Soul, Reggae, Ragga, Blues, Trip Hop. Before I was a little older and got into clubbing big time, I'd be dancing along to stuff like TLC, SWV, Janet Jackson, Salt'n'Pepper, En Vogue, Mariah Carey, Eternal, Soul II Soul. Before that, I was dancing to Michael Jackson.

I also like band music too. I'm a Mancunian. No true Manc has got a bad word to say about Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Smiths, Oasis, The Verve, Joy Division. I love Massive Attack, Bjork, Amon Tobin, Radiohead, Blur, Jamiroquai, Air. I love Classic Rock, Rock'n'Roll, Britpop, Indie rock. Led Zep, The Rolling Stones, Queen, The Clash, The Who, The Jam, The Police, The Beatles. I love American rock too. Bands like The Doors, The Stooges, The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac. Heavier stuff like Rage Against The Machine, Guns'n'Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, Chilli Peppers, White Stripes. Metal, Punk, Grunge, Industrial. I love 80s New Wave and Synthpop. Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode, Human league, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Frankie Goes To Hollywood. I even love some Classical and Opera. Even some Folk.

I could keep going. I could list genres and artists I love and as soon as soon as I posted a list, I'd think of several more. I'd be like, damn, now I feel bad for not giving this artist recognition, or that artist. Or how the hell did I forget that artist? And that's before we even get to an extensive list of R&B and contemporary soul. Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill, D'Angelo, Floetry, Steve Spacek, Erykah Badu, Alicia Keys, Sa-Ra, Jill Scott... producers like Dilla, Glasper, Neptunes, Flying Lotus, basically everyone I've posted in your other thread. And the Hip Hop thread. How could I ever list them all? Why did I even try?

I spend almost all of my spare money on music. I'm an obsessive collector of vinyls, love spending hours in Vinyl Valley, scouring the boxes of record like a prospector sifting for gold. I'm an addict and music is one of my biggest vices. I've got so many vinyls I don't know what to do with them. I've started storing some in my mum's attic, my fiance's place. I'll become obsessed with some new artist or genre and hunt down the back catalogue to devour it all. I'm a greedy music monster. Sometimes it feels like there is just so much great music out there and I'll never get chance to listen to it all.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #66 - April 06, 2013, 03:00 PM

Who is your favourite artist/band?

My mother's music collection is my barometer of good musical artists. Nina Simone, Minnie Riperton, Motown, Prince, Seal, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Terrence Trent D'Arby, Bob Marley, David Bowie, Jimmy Hendrix, Tracy Chapman, Eddie Grant, Fine Young Cannibals, Massive Attack, INXS, Neneh Cherry, Eurythmics, Kate Bush... she got me into all of these and more.

My mum was only young when she had me. Into her music, her stars, her favourite albums and singles. Much of our formative musical soundtrack overlaps. I was a child bouncing around to Moonwalker in my pj's at the same time she was a young adult who had Bad in her prized musical collection. She used to sing me Nina Simone for lullabies. I don't remember it, but I can believe it. Neneh Cherry was her M.I.A. Terrence Trent D'Arby her Pharell. Herbie Hancock her J Dilla. She was raving before I was a twinkle in my father's eyes. I was raving in the womb.

My first choice is:

Prince
    It's no secret how much I love Prince. Anyone who knows me knows I am utterly and irrevocably obsessed with him. Shamelessly and outrageously obsessed. I have almost all of his music, and believe me, that's a fucking lot of music. He's the most prolific musical artist I can think of. So many classic, iconic, stand out, milestone, masterpiece songs it's hard to know which one to post. But if I could only ever listen to one Prince song for the rest of my life, it'd be this one:

The Beautiful Ones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLan6y9V4iA
    That song does strange things to me. He does strange things to me. In my imagination, he's singing about me.

Next, I'd have to say the warrior queen:

Nina Simone
    I desperately love Nina Not just for her voice, for her soul and strength too. This woman had so much fire in her. When I listen to Here Comes The Sun or Feeling Good, no matter what mood I was in, I'm smiling and recharged. It's my medicine. As effective as any drug. Then listening to Strange Fruit or Dambala, I don't think there is anything more harrowing to hear. It destroys me. The Civil Rights movement wasn't my fight and I can never understand her plight, but I feel her rage. I understand that much. And I feel her love, too. Fierce love. She 'got' it. She understood love is sometimes dark, not always hearts and flowers. I can't name another singer who takes me to so many different emotional places. But perhaps most of all I love her because my mum loves her. The music reminds of her. Good times, bad times. Ups and downs. Arguments and reconciliation. Unconditional love.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ckv6-yhnIY
    I chose that song because it perfectly sums me up. As though the lyrics were written especially for me. It's a theme tune for me. Credit to Ott, Benjamin, Caldwell and Marcus for the writing.

Last (and most) I'm gonna say:

Goldie
    He gave me my first musical awakening. I remember hearing Timeless for the first time. I obviously loved music before then, but I don't think I actually understood music before then. I loved sounds and dancing. But I didn't really understand the artisanship and crafting of music until then. The layers of production. The intricacies and complexities that make a piece of music move. Here's the first track off of the album:

Inner City Life (ft. Diane Charlemagne)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYA4DoZOiD8
    I played the album beginning to end. I mean, hardcore always had female vocalists. But that was usually more brassy and celebratory, big bold house vocals. This was more soothing and precious to me. More meditative. More thoughtful. The level of sonic detail gone into it. That delicate drum programming. That rousing, anthemic synth. That rolling, pulsing bass. Those orchestral layers. These soulful female vocalists, like beautiful sirens calling to me from out of an ocean of sound. It was music about our life. Dancing, passion, art, social and cultural angst and sweet release. Existential art. It keyed into something within me. Unlocked it. It was different from the ragga jungle and hardcore I'd been obsessed with until then. Somehow more sublime. The most complete sound experience I have ever felt. I had an epiphany. And I fell hopelessly in love with drum and bass.

Such is the subjective power of music. A piece of music can perhaps tap into you and tug at something that might not even exist in another person, that might be a property that emerged from one's own combination of experiences. Or perhaps it might become inter-subjective, when you meet someone who also picked up on and appreciates some element as fully as you, and there is that instant bond, recognition, a knowing glance, an understanding smile, a friend for life.

Timeless is a masterpiece of the genre. The seminal album in my own musical journey. The most important album to me. Music I want to hear when I die, to remind me of being alive. Music like this is heaven right here on earth for me.

Not many people know Goldie is actually a graffiti artist too. One of the deciding factors in why I went to art college at all is because of people like him. To actually try and do something with my life. Get some kind of education or career. But anyway, that's an answer for a different question and a different day.

Reply #67 - April 06, 2013, 03:52 PM

What is the best gig that you’ve ever been to? You’re not allowed to just mention a festival; if it is festival related, it has to be a set within a festival.

Whatever I do or do not say is the best gig I've ever been to, I'll have to give a special mention to The Prodigy. They've been consistently fantastic each time I've seen them through the years. From relatively smaller raves to the true stadium powerhouse they have become.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB3Lvyrc-qI
    I don't think I've seen a group evolve so much. They are some kind of insane fusion of rave, punk, metal, big beat hip hop. Such a massive genre-spanning sound that draws so many different kinds of crazy, sexy, cool people. And the lads themselves are so awesome. Just really down to earth, common-as-muck blokes that love what they do and give so much back to their fans.

The gigs I remember most fondly are back when I was at school. We'd take a change of clothes to school in our bags. Sneak out at some point during the day. Get on the bus or train, or cram loads of us into this beat up Rover metro that a friend's older brother drove (driving across the country in a metro was painful, I'm telling you). You could get an E for a few quid. And it used to be a nice, clean, quality E. Not cut with horse tranquillisers or some nasty shit. We'd split a White Dove between two of us and be buzzin our tits off. They didn't have a bar at most of those raves. It was just some warehouse or field with some guy's personal equipment. Half a pill and the rush of being there was enough fuel to dance all night (and never forget a bottle of water). Honestly, we used to wear our shoes down dancing like idiots and practicing our shufflin' so much. My mum used to go mad. We'd end up nicking those nasty black plimsolls from school PE to practice in. And I had worn a patch in my bedroom carpet.

I think the craziest gig I've ever been to was a rave in Amsterdam. It was on Koninginnedag (Queen's Day) which is one huge national party. Everyone wears orange (like we wear green on St Patty's day). Shops remove their windows and put speakers there. Barges and platforms float down the canals full of people dancing and cheering. People jumping in the water. The streets are absolutely ram packed with people, a massive free-for-all carnival. Anyway, we ended up in a multi-story car park where there was some rave going on. By the early hours of the next day, it was full on multiple levels with ravers. And the volume was just insane. The Dutch know how to party. But on this day, it was people from all over the world.

Most recently, I'd say the best gig was Glastonbury 2011, The Chemical Brothers set.
    http://vimeo.com/29892754
    Have you been to Glasto? If so, you'll know. There's just no way to describe the sheer scale of these massive open air festivals. You have to be there. And Glastonbury has it's own special kind of magic. Long and glorious tradition and prestige. It really is Mecca for summer festival goers. I just know, deep down, that I could travel all the world’s holy places, with all their riches and vistas, and I’d still want to come back to that dirty field in south of England, in that crowd.

The stand out moment was Swoon (about 9 mins into that video I linked). Me, the love of my life, and thousands of others. There is power and magic when that many people come together. But there was something really special happening while Swoon was on. Love was in the air. I think everyone must have surely turned to the one they love right then. It was like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. In his arms. I just wished we could be set in stone, like statues.

That wasn't even the best part, though. It was those arpeggios(around 15 mins in). When you can start to hear Star Guitar. They prolongued the drop beautifully. All those people could feel it I bet. When the night reaches a climax. Everyone's dancing, surrendering to it. You lose yourself in the crowd with all the other sweating bodies moving to the same beat. You feel the bass underneath your feet, the synth rolling over your skin, lifting the tiny hairs there. You feel the rising euphoria and anticipation waiting for the bass to drop, and then when it drops you let the rave take you up a gear. You let the music flow through you and move you. It's trance-like. A state of no-mind. It's a tribal thing. Tribal drums. It's the beating heart of everyone at once.

Understand that it isn't just the sound. It's a complete sensory assault. Chemical Brothers have one of the most visually impressive sets I have ever seen. It's hypnotic. Striking neon colours. Bold contrasts. I'm still intimately plugged into that moment. I'm just watching that video and I'm there again. Waves of joy. Those waves of joy that burst out of somewhere in your chest and flow all through your body, down your arms to lift the tiny hairs, up your throat, up to press against your eyes and push a tear out. You just feel fucking immortal when you're there, like life could never get any better. I cannot even describe it with all my words.

And speaking of gigs, Goldie is in Manchester tonight. Hoo-Rah.

Reply #68 - April 06, 2013, 05:48 PM

How did you become interested in Hip-hop music and what made you a develop a liking towards it?

2Pac. But before we get to him, there are other reasons too.

We didn't really listen to much hip hop growing up. It was all about jungle and rave from 90s to mid 00s. Jungle pretty much was our version of Hip Hop. It was a British underground breakbeat movement, the same way as hip hop was an American underground breakbeat movement. I mean, both genres took breakbeat to different places. But to me, there are so many parallels:

M Beat & General Levy – Incredible
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k

UK Apachi & Shy FX – Original Nuttah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkAYv0MuVTE

Tribe Of Issachar – Junglist
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGj67GCO2Ls
    If you muted the sound, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was hip hop. Predominantly black (like so much good music is). Typically the purview of the lower class, underprivileged youth. Rowdy and somewhat distrusted, shunned or ignored by the mainstream. A freestyle MC, a DJ mixing and scratching some dirty amen beats, a dancehall. There wasn't so much emphasis on rap, though, which is a significant difference. There wasn't much lyrical storytelling initially. The MC was more ragga, just there to get the crowd pumped. There was more emphasis on dance. Probably down to the house/rave roots. There was also a lot of 80s hip hop sampling. But both jungle and hip hop developed alongside each other, drawing upon the same pool of influences and innovations.

Even early 2000's, there wasn't really much hip hip in the underground music scene. It was grime. Hip hop/garage fusion. There was a fairly large appetite for American rap in the mainstream, but that didn't really intersect much in the circles I moved in. Bear in mind I was still a teenager in the 90s. At that time it's all about your friends, your crew, your brothers and sisters from another mother. There is no world beyond that. I'm only talking about my immediate sphere of experience. It would have been significantly different growing up somewhere else. Growing up on an inner-city council estate was like growing up in an insular goldfish bowl. Jungle/rave was the music I grew up with, what my friends listened to, the music I came of age with, first real musical love, that I continue to love. There was one dealer we used to go to who had American gangsta rap on all the time. That's probably the only time I heard new Hip Hip regularly. It was custom to sit and share a few spliffs with the dealer. We'd just sit in there, red-eyed, bobbing our heads in the smoky room.

Then we come to drum & bass. It's a natural progression from jungle to drum & bass. Mainly because it was largely the same artists. The same DJs. The crossover point between jungle and drum and bass is so indistinct that it's not really worth arguing about.  For me, jungle is defined by the things the very word might inspire. It’s tribal, untamed, primal, rowdy. Sometimes fierce, impenetrable and chaotic. Sometimes lush, beautiful and mysterious. It’s the wild heart of drum & bass. The roots of it. I would say it was structurally defined by deep rolling bass, choppy, feral amen break drums, and typically has ragga, dance hall and dub influence and vocals. It can be too aggressive and eratic for some ears, militaristic. And drum & bass, to me, is collectively the sub-genres that came out of the jungle. But there was a major paradigm shift around '95. Lots of artists released their definitive music around that time. And it just feels a little more progressive. A little smoother. A little more cleaned up from dirty jungle and hardcore beats. And so, we come to this kind of thing:

4hero (ft. Ursula Rucker) – Loveless
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_OJw4G4BoY

Roni Size & Reprazent (ft. Onallee) – New Forms
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFiAK4fD6Mk

Big Bud (ft. MC Conrad) - A Way Of Life (LTJ Bukem Mix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKMzbXcn26g

MC Conrad – Dawn Of Harmony
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3B7LowsEjk

Nookie (ft.DRS) – Pushing The Vibe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoH9T57g4-Q

LTJ Bukem (ft. MC Conrad) – Horizons
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beboh8Azuuo

It strikes me as having more of a spiritual dimension to it. MCs rapping about cosmic nature, the human condition, love, passion, sexual attraction, destiny, rapture, awe, raw emotion, enlightenment, expanding the mind, liberation of thought, innovation of self, elevation of intellect, higher states of consciousness, that which is salubrious to body and soul rather than street tales and material things. I guess that's why they called it 'Intelligent Drum & Bass'. I'm not sure if I like the name. It kinda implies a lack of intellect in other genres. But I can't deny that it's a somewhat fitting name. And I can't really deny that it's rap.

So I already have the basic ingredients to be a hip hop fan. I still did actually listen to it occasionally. There was more and more old skool 80s hip hop floating around the graffiti scene.  It all just blended into one lifestyle. All part of the same under-culture - the music, the street art, the street dancing, the chillin out in the park. I just wasn't into the mainstream hip hop 'scene' so to speak.

And then there is 2Pac. I can't even remember when I started liking 2Pac. But I was very young. Too young to really appreciate what he was talking about. My mum had an LP of his (she had so much good music). Me Against The World. I remember being sad when he died because my mum was sad. His music didn't really speak to me until later in life, though, when there started to be parallels between my life and what he was speaking about. I think what truly melted my heart and made me a fan for life was his love for his mother. That's what meshed with me.

What I love most about 2Pac, though, is that he actually tried. He tried to get out of a shitty situation. He even studied drama and dance at one point. Just wanted to make music and write poems. He was brought up by hardened criminals. His childhood was unstable and that's putting it lightly. He got moved around a lot, spent most of his early life on the move. The adults and peers around him as a kid were in and out of prison. His parents were violent activists linked with the Black Panthers. They were into some REAL serious shit, not just petty street crime and thuggery. They even had to change Pac's name because people had threatened to kill him if they ever found him. His step dad was on the FBI's top 10 most wanted, a man who eventually got locked up for murder or something.

Music was his way out. His poetry was escapism from an early age. He pours his heart out in some songs. It's why he gets so much respect from other artists in the genre, even though he isn't perhaps the most technically gifted rapper, like Nas or Method Man or someone like that. With Pac, it's all about the message and the simple unapologetic honesty. He spoke from the heart and spoke for a lot of people. Changes reached out across genres, 2 years after his death, and that isn't even his most raw and heartfelt verses.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nay31hvEvrY
    I mean, can we just stop and appreciate how good that tune is? Some might think it's overplayed, commercial, surpassed by better. But I don't. I don't care about any of that. Changes, to me, is what rap was all about. Forget this new money bragging. I'd rather listen to poets telling the story of the streets. Nothing has changed. It's as bad if not worse than before. But for just a brief moment when I listen to it, I can believe it. I can believe things can change.

Hard to imagine that he was younger than me when he was murdered. He didn't have the best start in life but he almost broke out of it. Could have been so different for him. I don't honestly think he got the type of fame he really wanted. But it worked I guess. He made an impact. He definitely impacted my life. I'm not excusing anything he did or might have done, but I can understand how easy it is to fall into the game. I've been there. I've lost my way so many times. I've fucked up so many times. Done things I'm not proud of. Who am I to judge?

I think it's easy to write off rap as just privileged boasting by bling and whore hungry arseholes, but the underground hip hop always had a real message. There is a lot of anguish to the some of the best rap songs, deeper meanings that spoke to underprivileged youth. Rappers were telling the story of the streets and nobody really gave a fuck. They just took it as criminals glorifying violence and crime, but I think they just wanted to be heard, maybe rub it in the face a bit, tell people what it's really like out there on the wrong side of the tracks, enjoy new money, the new privileges that it brought, a little taste of what the white man had for so long. Consider the mind-blowing fact that they lynched blacks in America barely a decade before hip hop was being born.

Humans are not meant to be alone. They'll take what they can get, be that a normal happy family or hard brothers and sisters in blood who watch each others back. We all need to belong, need to be understood and appreciated. We move through life, trying to establish ourselves and make our mark, discover our sense of identity, trying to be unique, but all the time silently crying out for others just like us. There are no sign posts sometimes. You end up where you end up.

There is a certain breed of hip hop hipster who think its cool to knock Pac because his MC skills aren't the best, or his verses are too simple, or because he studied poetry and dance, or had a few pop hits early in his career, or he's 'overrated'. I don't have any time for them. I think they completely miss the point of his music and the man behind it, and completely miss the point of rap altogether. He was as real as any rapper out there. He's been there, seen it, done it, tells stories about it. He made an effort to get out of it, snubbed the street life and wanted something else, and then ironically ended up being sucked back into it and became the thing he hated the most. He was a beautiful hypocrite. He has a charming, ugly, beautiful, flawed, uplifting, tragic story to tell for anyone who's listening.

RIP 2Pac.

Reply #69 - April 07, 2013, 07:13 AM

Can't say how glad I am that you took the time to answer my questions with rich details that are enjoyable to read(more than once). Thanks Smiley

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #70 - April 07, 2013, 08:37 PM

Question for Ishina

Who are the top 5 rap artists in your opinion ? (other than 2pac)

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #71 - April 07, 2013, 10:04 PM

Who are the top 5 rap artists in your opinion ? (other than 2pac)

Apart from 2Pac?

The ladies...

1. Jean Grae
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFz6ECvaiqQ
    2. Lauryn Hill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvSUCgTgUs
    3. Bahamadia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AKfHDTW7nM
    4. MC Lyte
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSeJP2HfaY
    5. Yo Yo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDm8s54Sscs

The gentlemen...

1. Nas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I19iUyD8-P0
    2. Biggie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktDeFS8KZPs
    3 & 4. Mos Def & Talib Kweli
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTnog5RRQo
    5. Rakim
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkWYTUiPTo

Reply #72 - April 07, 2013, 10:43 PM

Eric B and Rakim? Ok Ishina I think you need to stop before you overdose on awesomeness. There is only so much coolness one human is allowed to have.
     Reply #73 - April 07, 2013, 10:45 PM

Sexual orientation? ( Everbody asked all the interesting questions ! )

I'm sexually attracted to adult humans.

I've used pansexual to describe myself. It's a great word. I've thought I was straight, I've thought I was gay, I've thought I was bi. I've realised I don't even know what I am and concluded that I am too young to choose. I consider the choice to be irrelevant right now. I don't need a sexuality. Other people need to know my sexuality to simplify me and understand me.

The more you live and experience, the more you realise sexuality is a fluid continuum rather than categories. This is a world of so many sexual orientations, configurations, identifications. So many sexy creatures strutting around that make me salivate. Masculine, feminine, androgynous, effeminate, transexual, pre-op, post-op, never-gonna-op, hermaphrodites, pretty things, macho things, strong things, delicate things, nancy boys, dykes. I want it all. All the cocks and pussies. All the brains and hearts.

It makes less and less sense to me to call myself straight or gay or bi. I feel like I'm compromising something that doesn't actually need to be compromised. I happen to be with a man. Doesn't make me straight. Just means that I am in love with a particular human who happens to be a male. A self-identifying straight man.

That isn't to say people shouldn't choose if they want to. Gender/sexuality self-identity can be a beautiful and liberating thing, holding profound symbolic power for an individual and a mastery over a situation or discriminatory environment. I'm not saying that not-choosing is somehow a superior position or a more progressive approach to 21st century life. Because it simply isn't. It's just one of many approaches. I cannot discredit those who are sure they are straight or gay. They are both real and undeniable things. Individuals do not always take up a broad section of the spectrum, and their peculiar self-identity reflects a very sincere orientation. It should not be expected or demanded of someone to widen their sexual scope. Some people are perfectly comfortable with a specified preference. I understand that intimately since I have been there and it was real to me, as real anything can be real.

And in the end, is it even a choice? Humans are high-functioning mammals – sexual, sensual creatures with all kinds of wants, needs, appetites and kinks that you cannot distil down to some kind of binary selection. We are who we are. We are compelled by the innate power of mind and loin, spellbound by the magic in our blood.

I'm also sexually attracted to superbikes. One day I'll have my own one of these purring between my legs – the Kawasaki ZX-6R:

I don't care that it's outdated. I don't care that there are more powerful bikes out there. That's what I want. That's what I'm getting. I wanted the ZX-10R for ages, but the ZX-6R is so much more comfortable. It just screams "ride me" and I know my life wont be complete until I get one.

Reply #74 - April 07, 2013, 11:50 PM

The most fun you can have with three, four, five pairs of knickers on.

Strip poker. Was that a question?

When you prowl the streets of Manchester in your Reyes boxing boots, do builders whistle and shout: "Aren't you that Christopher 'Itchings?"

I wolf whistle builders.

Orange juice or apple juice?

Fresh orange juice. With juicy bits.

Do you like me? Because I like you.

I love you like a fat kid loves cake.

Do you pick your nose?

I've been known to occasionally dig for gold, yes.

I love you - will you love me back? (I don't want you to love my "back" literally - but it could sure do with a massage.)

I'll give your lovely back and lovely massage. How's that?

Who are Jon Snow's parents?

I thought it was Sean Bean and a hooker.

Do you like ketchup?

Yeah. But I'm a ketchup snob. It's gotta be Heinz.

Can I have your autograph?

Where do you want it?

Do you like llamas?

I kinda feel sorry for them. They are basically ugly arseholes. Evolution was not kind to them. Unlucky!

When you roll a cigarette, do you roll from the left hand side or the right hand side?

I'm right handed, so the smaller roach/filter end in my right fingers.

Can I call you Ishmish?

Colour me your colour, baby.

Reply #75 - April 08, 2013, 12:02 AM

Were any of us close when we were trying to guess what you looked like? http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=10293.500 (I have a feeling Shine was closest?)

Nah. You're still pretty cold.

How bad did Logical Mind get on a scale of 1-10? (Where 10 is a psycho ex-husband that is after your blood unless you agree to stay in his cellar for life, and 1 is just a guy who takes interest in you in a club, but goes away when you politely ask him to).

About a 3/10. More annoying than anything. Not a threat. Just a persistently irritating insect. I think he mistook pity for special interest.

Naija and Al Ma’arri have alluded to this, but I’m not going to hold back like they did: I don’t think I am talking just for myself here, but do you realise that you are held in complete awe by some of us? You do realise how blessed some of us feel just to have you amongst us?

Aww, you guys.

Reply #76 - April 08, 2013, 12:16 AM

Why are you so mean to dumb posters?

Here Adeimantus interposed and said, "To these statements, Socrates, no one can offer a reply; but when you talk in this way, a strange feeling passes over the minds of your hearers: They fancy that they are led astray a little at each step in the argument, owing to their own want of skill in asking and answering questions; these littles accumulate, and at the end of the discussion they are found to have sustained a mighty overthrow and all their former notions appear to be turned upside down. And as unskilful players of draughts are at last shut up by their more skilful adversaries and have no piece to move, so they too find themselves shut up at last; for they have nothing to say in this new game of which words are the counters; and yet all the time they believe they are in the right. The observation is suggested to me by what is now occurring. For any one of us might say, that although in words he is not able to meet you at each step of the argument, he sees as a fact that the votaries of philosophy, when they carry on the study, not only in youth as a part of education, but as the pursuit of their maturer years, most of them become strange monsters, not to say utter rogues, and that those who may be considered the best of them are made useless to the world by the very study which you extol. Well, and do you think that those who say so are wrong?"
    Socrates said, "YOU'RE A FUCKING DUMBASS."

Reply #77 - April 08, 2013, 12:20 AM

Why do you have me on ignore?

Can't remember. Did you do something stupid?

Why do men worship you?

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

The way Cembers revere you, does it have any effect on your character?

Nobody reveres me. It's all in good humour.

Do you enjoy their reverence?

I enjoy their company.

Do you think you're above everyone else because of the way you're treated here?

Not everyone and not necessarily because of how I'm treated.

What are your views on girls that aren't as intellectual or sensible and mature like yourself?

I don't consider myself any of those things.

And I think everyone has something in them that is good. Whether they are pretty, stylish, smart, creative, talented, practical – there is such a massive range of things to apply oneself to. Depends how much they want it. How much they are hungry to be excellent. Whether they have discovered it yet, or whether they will ever discover it, I think depends on how active they are and how much they fill their life with experiences. And how curious they are – about themselves, the world around them and their place in it. Whether they take constructive criticism on board and whether they rise above unconstructive criticism. It is how we tackle and engage the word that sets us apart from one another. How we make the most of the hand we got dealt.

Consider the words of this great thinker:

"More work equals more rewards – It's the law of averages; put in more, come out with more.

Aim at perfection in all endeavors – Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable; however, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much closer to it than those whose laziness and despondency make them give it up as unattainable.

Don't fear failure – Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is even glorious to fail.

The necessity for acting on our beliefs – Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.

The end of man is action – The end of man is action, and not thought, though it be of the noblest. In this world there are a lot of people who cannot touch the heart of the matter but talk merely intellectually (not emotionally) about how they would do this or do that; talk about it, but yet nothing is ever actualized or accomplished.

Action is a highroad to self-esteem – Action is a highroad to self-confidence and esteem. Where it is open, all energies flow toward it. It comes readily to most people, and its rewards are tangible.

Only actions give life strength – Only actions give to life its strength, as only moderation gives it its charm.

Not to think, but to do – Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand.

The point is the doing – The point is the doing of them rather than the accomplishments. There is no actor but the action – there is no experiencer but experience.

The reward of doing – The doer alone learns."

– Bruce Lee

Do you have anything against such people?

N/A

What is the first reaction/reflex that overtakes you when you come across comments such as those above, from Naija, Al marri and Musivore?

I smile.

Reply #78 - April 08, 2013, 12:36 AM

What is a typical day in the life of Ishina like? Does it involve slaying any dragons or single-handedly crushing complete armies of men?

I get up when I want except on Wednesdays when I get rudely awakened by the dustmen. I put my trousers on, have a cup of tea, and I think about leaving the house. I feed the pigeons. I sometimes feed the sparrows too. It gives me a sense of enormous well being. And then I'm happy for the rest of the day, safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it.

What hairstyle are you rocking right now?

I'm growing it out at the moment. I usually just tie it up or swept-up and pinned. Something lazy and easy. If I'm out, I'll have a bumped-up ponytail. Like this:

I love that square quiff-like front. There is something edgy and kinda masculine about it that appeals to me.

I rocked this for the longest time:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgffRW1fKDk
    Bob, square fringe, red streaks. First time I saw it I thought, yeah, that's mine. I just walked into the salon with a picture and said "gimmie that." Had it for years. It was just so easy to manage, hardly even had to touch it. Had it for so long that I never knew quite what to do with it after that. Tried all kinds of things. But I've just grown less interested in statement styles. I want something mature and classy.

Do you want any more tattoos? If so, what do you want to get done and where?

Yeah, for sure. I'll continue to document my life on my skin. I gain considerable strength and empowerment from them. I'll certainly have another major one if I ever have kids. I don't want to go overboard though. I just want tattoos that compliment each other. I think less is more. There's a fine line between a sexy and stylish symmetry and a trashy, tacky mess. Plus I'm an artist and perfectionist when it comes to tattoos, so anything out of synch would drive me crazy .

Favourite alcoholic drink?

Jack & Coke. But I'll drink anything really. I'm not picky. I love Baileys. I love a white wine spritzer to begin the evening's shenanigans. We've been hammering the jagerbombs recently too.

How did you perfect the very definition of cool?

You should meet my mum. She's cooler than me.

Reply #79 - April 08, 2013, 12:51 AM

She is beyond awesome I can tell that straight away.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #80 - April 08, 2013, 12:55 AM

i'm new round here, who is Ishina?

I'm the finger down your spine when all the lights are out. I'm the name on all the men's room walls. When I pout, the whole world tries to make me smile. And everyone always wants to know who... is... that... girl.

If you could have a room full of any one thing, what would it be?

Friends and loved ones.

Just kidding. I'd totally have it full of money. Just so I could swim in it and gloat at how rich I am.

If you were to go on a picnic, what would your perfect picnic basket contain?

Music. One of those little disposable barbecues (they are so effin great at a festival). Some belly pork strips. Or maybe Chinese spare ribs. Or fajita sauce and pita bread. Something really juicy and messy like that, something you can share and eat with your fingers. A few bottles of white wine. Or maybe a few magic mushrooms. Just enough for a mellow buzz, not a full-on hallucinogenic experience. Cadbury's cream eggs for pudding.

I want to know what Ishina would cook as a perfect meal for her best friends!

Usually a stir fry. Or fajitas. Or a paella. Something easy. Just throw everything in and cook it at once, like a mad bubbling witch's cauldron. Just make a big bowl of something and plonk it in the middle of the table with bread or tacos or rice or whatever. Let the animals help themselves.

If it was a special occasion I'd get my mum to make a big pot of her chicken stew. Which is actually more like a soup than a stew, but we always called it chicken stew. It's pure ambrosia. Proper mouthgasms. There's not even a recipe for it. She just makes it from her mind. Pulls it from the ether or whatever universe of heavenly delights it's from. It's just the most incredible thing. Pours like a thin soup. Almost-but-not-quite spicy. Succulent and stringy chicken. Chunky veg, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, onions. Always with soft and chewy French bread. If I could swim in it, I would. Mine is just a cheap imitation that pales in comparison. I told her she better put the recipe in her will or I'll kill her again.

Reply #81 - April 08, 2013, 12:57 AM

Thank you Ishina for your reply  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #82 - April 08, 2013, 01:01 AM

If you were given a choice to marry one of the CEMB members, who would be it? (No you don't have choice of outside CEMB here)

Hassan. Obviously. He's already my imaginary husband.

will you marry me?

We will both marry Hassan.

marry me Ishina

We will all marry Hassan.

How many marriage proposals have you got since you started being awesome?

In all seriousness, I've only ever had one marriage proposal. I said yes.

Reply #83 - April 08, 2013, 01:08 AM

Dayum, still so many to get through. And now it's all the deep and serious questions left.

Another day, though. Starting to get sick of talking about myself.

Reply #84 - April 09, 2013, 12:47 PM

your mothers chicken stew sounds amazing!
    i'm so much looking forward to more or your responses ..
     Reply #85 - April 11, 2013, 05:59 AM

This is a great thread Afro
    I'll just ask three questions of my own:
    What's your favourite colour?
    What's your occupation?
    What's your favourite film? 
     Reply #86 - April 12, 2013, 04:39 PM

bumpity bump...

popcorn

no pressure.. no pressure at all

popcorn
     Reply #87 - April 16, 2013, 11:42 AM

I'm not ignoring ya, ness. Just need to be in the right mood to answer all the deep and probing questions that are left. I'd rather leave them until I've got a good couple of hours spare rather than fob y'all off with crappy short answers. And a lot of my history is co-owned with my mum, so I wanna have a proper chat with her before I spill.

Reply #88 - April 16, 2013, 11:47 AM

What's your favourite colour?

I wanna say a cool colour like black or red, but I actually quite like orange for some reason. Dunno why. Or purple. Or neon colours (not to wear, just to look at).

Reply #89 - April 16, 2013, 12:13 PM

^ Thanks for answering Afro
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »