Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 'Super mosque' in cambridge

(Read 12488 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 'Super mosque' in cambridge
     OP - August 09, 2011, 06:05 PM

I used to attend the current shabby little mosque in Cambridge for Jumma prayers, how I wish we had one of these when I was Muslim:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-14446488

A "buy a brick appeal" has been launched to help raise funds for Cambridge's first purpose-built mosque.

It is estimated around 350,000 bricks are needed for the Abu Bakr Jamia Mosque.

The appeal has been timed for Ramadan, the Muslim month of prayer and fasting. Each brick will cost £1.40.

Dr Tim Winter, head of the mosque's moving team, said: "We've got a target of about £500,000 for the appeal this year."

He added: "Ramadan tends to be the peak season for Muslim charities generally around the world, perhaps because people are not eating and drinking, so they're thinking of higher and spiritual things."

The building has been designed by Marks Barfield Architects, the company behind the London Eye and Kew Gardens' treetop walkway.

It will be on a one-acre site, formerly the Robert Sayles' warehouse, on Mill Road in Cambridge.

The interior will be lit by large roof windows to reduce the need for artifical light Overall it is expected to cost £15m, of which they have raised a third so far.

The plans include a prayer hall for 1,000 worshippers, an underground car park, a restaurant and a park.

Dr Winter said the look of the building is also important and residents' associations had been consulted.

"Cambridge is not just any old county town," he said.

"It is one of the world's great cultural hubs.

"You can't ignore the fact that on our doorstep we have some of the world's great architectural exhibits.

"So it has to be a structure that's really quite striking, not just the average British mosque, which is a brick cube with an aluminium dome on top."

Those behind the project said local materials would be used where possible, so the bricks for sale are yellow or white Gault bricks traditional to the Cambridge area.

They said it would also be as green as possible. Water from the ablutions unit will be recycled to irrigate the gardens, the roof will be covered in vegetation, and large glass windows in the roof will ensure it can be naturally lit even on grey winter days.

It is hoped the new building will help ease the lack of spaces at the current mosque on Mawson Road, where Muslims worship in shifts or have to pray in the street.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
  • Re: 'Super mosque' in cambridge
     Reply #1 - August 09, 2011, 06:14 PM

Blimey
     Reply #2 - August 09, 2011, 06:18 PM

that's it? blimey? one of my main reasons for posting this article was to try and rile you in particular  grin12

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #3 - August 09, 2011, 09:02 PM

I get depressed whenever I hear about a new mosque being built.  I almost feel physically ill.

Mosques should be emptying out like churches.

Reply #4 - August 09, 2011, 10:01 PM

Is there an actual demand for this or is it just showboating??

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #5 - August 09, 2011, 10:12 PM

the last time i went to jumma was about a year ago - in the current mosque (a converted house) they needed two seperate jamaats so that everybody could pray - so they do need a bigger mosque. but i don't think there was anywhere near a thousand people - i would say half that number at the most and i don't think the muslim population in cambridge has suddenly exploded in the last year. so there is some showboating going on perhaps that makes me  015
    the restaurant etc. would have been cool though

Reply #6 - August 09, 2011, 10:56 PM

They've raised £5 million so far?  Wow!  I hope they haven't accepted too much Saudi salafism-spreading donations.  And I hope Dr Abdul Hakim Murad (Tim Winter) will remain the khateeb.  He may have his flaws but he's the best around.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #7 - August 17, 2011, 05:32 PM

Hopefully it'll never get built.

Arthur.
     Reply #8 - August 17, 2011, 05:40 PM

I get depressed whenever I hear about a new mosque being built.  I almost feel physically ill.

Mosques should be emptying out like churches.

+1  Afro

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #9 - August 17, 2011, 05:41 PM

^ why not spend some of that money helping your 'brothers' in Somalia? What a waste of $$$

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #10 - August 17, 2011, 05:56 PM

From my window I can see a mosque that theyve been building since I moved to the UK... it's still not finished... already spent 6 million at last count... there are about 10 mosques within a stones throw. Roll Eyes
     Reply #11 - August 17, 2011, 06:33 PM

£6 million? Are they building an IMAX screen and luxury spa and gold taps to wash for wudu with?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #12 - August 17, 2011, 06:45 PM

They haven't even started on the inside yet... lipsrsealed
     Reply #13 - August 26, 2011, 05:42 PM

If I was a billionaire I would buy any building or plot of land that Muslims plan to build a mosque on before they do, and I'd build something much more useful in it.

Reply #14 - August 26, 2011, 05:43 PM

^ like a washroom

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #15 - August 26, 2011, 06:32 PM

CEMB headquarters.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #16 - October 08, 2011, 05:41 PM

And I hope Dr Abdul Hakim Murad (Tim Winter) will remain the khateeb.  He may have his flaws but he's the best around.

I have to admit, the first of his khutbahs that I sat through was a revelation. An actual attempt to address day-to-day moral issues that didn't induce cringing was something I hadn't ever expected. I sought him out after the prayer to tell him that it was the best khutbah I'd ever heard, and he was a little uncomfortable with it.

Given that other khatibs were either dedicated to impressively bland platitude-spouting, or satisfying community politics (one example being khutbahs delivered in Sylheti and Arabic - after what I assume were protests, the khatib switched to eccentrically phrased English and Arabic before being replaced), or firebreathing moral outrage (Palestine/the Balkans/insert foreign Islamic flashpoint here), I suppose almost anyone else would've been an improvement.

Reply #17 - October 08, 2011, 07:56 PM

Time to call in Mosque busters.

Arthur.
     Reply #18 - October 08, 2011, 08:07 PM

What, the EDL?

If their last outing in Cambridge was anything to go by, they're quite skilled at fighting among themselves and sockpuppeting on the Cambridge Evening News website. And good for them, I say.
     Reply #19 - October 10, 2011, 02:01 PM

What a LOVELY idea!

I am sure it will be a "moderate mosque" where "moderate", anti-sharia, anti-jihad pro-kafir, pro-feminist Islam which at least 99.99999% of the congregation will undoubtedly subscribe to will be preached forever and a day! Only an irrational phobe would conceive otherwise and NOT buy a brick for the masjid (as well as one to chuck at any bigoted anti-mosque haters who might descend on the place to express their hatred and anti-Muslim bigotry!)

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #20 - October 10, 2011, 02:13 PM

You may all be wondering how our resident seer knows quite so much in advance.

What DH neglects to mention is that he'll be the first khatib.
     Reply #21 - October 10, 2011, 02:52 PM

I have to admit, the first of his khutbahs that I sat through was a revelation. An actual attempt to address day-to-day moral issues that didn't induce cringing was something I hadn't ever expected. I sought him out after the prayer to tell him that it was the best khutbah I'd ever heard, and he was a little uncomfortable with it.

Given that other khatibs were either dedicated to impressively bland platitude-spouting, or satisfying community politics (one example being khutbahs delivered in Sylheti and Arabic - after what I assume were protests, the khatib switched to eccentrically phrased English and Arabic before being replaced), or firebreathing moral outrage (Palestine/the Balkans/insert foreign Islamic flashpoint here), I suppose almost anyone else would've been an improvement.

So in this Tim Winter's ideal world would adulterers be "pitilessly" flogged according to the Qur'anic commandment or not? It's difficult to tease out his position on such matters from his obscure ramblings.

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #22 - October 10, 2011, 02:57 PM

Ask him yourself, Imam sahib?

It's not like his contact details are difficult to find.
     Reply #23 - October 10, 2011, 03:00 PM

So you don't know his views on this and other similar matters?

Reply #24 - October 10, 2011, 03:02 PM

I try only to speak for myself, Imam sahib. Learn from me.
     Reply #25 - October 10, 2011, 03:20 PM

@^toor . I'm asking you to speak for yourself. I ask again:  have you YOURSELF heard or read anything by this Tim Winter regarding his views on flogging adulterers or related matters?

Reply #26 - October 10, 2011, 03:46 PM

You're as capable of using Google as anyone else, Imam sahib.

Even for an imam, your laziness is exemplary; any fool could have thought to use the search terms 'Abdul + Hakim + Murad + hudud', and yet you either could not or would not. With such an attitude, I think your well-deserved promotion is guaranteed. DH for Mufti of Great Britain, I say. You've got my vote.

This verdict, namely that one is well-advised to follow a great Imam as ones guide to the Sunnah, rather than relying on oneself, is particularly binding upon Muslims in countries such as Britain, among whom only a small percentage is even entitled to have a choice in this matter. This is for the simple reason that unless one knows Arabic,[54] then even if one wishes to read all the hadith determining a particular issue, one cannot. For various reasons, including their great length, no more than ten of the basic hadith collections have been translated into English. There remain well over three hundred others, including such seminal works as the Musnad of Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal,[55] the Musannaf of Ibn Abi Shayba,[56] the Sahih of Ibn Khuzayma,[57] the Mustadrak of al-Hakim,[58] and many other multi-volume collections, which contain large numbers of sound hadiths which cannot be found in Bukhari, Muslim, and the other works that have so far been translated. Even if we assume that the existing translations are entirely accurate, it is obvious that a policy of trying to derive the Shariah directly from the Book and the Sunnah cannot be attempted by those who have no access to the Arabic. To attempt to discern the Shariah merely on the basis of the hadiths which have been translated will be to ignore and amputate much of the Sunnah, hence leading to serious distortions.[59]

Let me give just two examples of this. The Sunni Madhhabs, in their rules for the conduct of legal cases, lay down the principle that the canonical punishments (hudud) should not be applied in cases where there is the least ambiguity, and that the qadi should actively strive to prove that such ambiguities exist. An amateur reading in the Sound Six collections will find no confirmation of this.[60] But the madhhab ruling is based on a hadith narrated by a sound chain, and recorded in theMusannaf of Ibn Abi Shayba, the Musnad of al-Harithi, and the Musnad of Musaddad ibn Musarhad. The text is: "Ward off the hudud by means of ambiguities."[61] Imam al-Sanani, in his book Al-Ansab, narrates the circumstances of this hadith: "A man was found drunk, and was brought to Umar, who ordered the hadd of eighty lashes to be applied. When this had been done, the man said: Umar, you have wronged me! I am a slave! (Slaves receive only half the punishment.) Umar was grief-stricken at this, and recited the Prophetic hadith, Ward off the hudud by means of ambiguities."[62]

Source.
     Reply #27 - October 10, 2011, 05:18 PM

What, the EDL?

If their last outing in Cambridge was anything to go by, they're quite skilled at fighting among themselves and sockpuppeting on the Cambridge Evening News website. And good for them, I say.

No, Mosque Busters is a legal team set up to oppose mosques, while we support them we are not part of them.

Arthur.
     Reply #28 - October 15, 2011, 10:05 AM

@^Toor. Thanks for that quote. That guy is obviously an out and out shariaist. You admire him?

Reply #29 - October 17, 2011, 03:15 PM

No, Mosque Busters is a legal team set up to oppose mosques, while we support them we are not part of them.

Arthur.

And your basis for supporting an organization that supports state discrimination against a particular religion would be?

@^Toor. Thanks for that quote. That guy is obviously an out and out shariaist. You admire him?

Yeah, he admires him.  Roll Eyes Fucking troll.

fuck you
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »