Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Riots in London

(Read 49953 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Riots in London
     Reply #480 - September 29, 2011, 09:34 PM

Never mind the jerks who rioted in London. If you want to see some real heroes - people with real balls - watch some of the videos coming out of Syria.
     Reply #481 - September 29, 2011, 09:51 PM

Plenty of those rioting had a dodgy (criminal) past:

fucking twat knacker! w.london24.com/newe/lndon_rots_scale_of_asrimal_recs_vealed_
     Reply #482 - September 29, 2011, 11:17 PM

Yes, it's more likely for you to need to steal and do stuff like sell drugs if you're poor.

Roll Eyes
     Reply #483 - October 01, 2011, 05:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94DNV6oM8HU&feature=related

fuck you
     Reply #484 - October 01, 2011, 05:46 AM

I predict an even bigger shistorm with this.

"I measured the skies, now the shadows I measure,
    Sky-bound was the mind, earth-bound the body rests."
    [Kepler's epitaph]
     Reply #485 - October 02, 2011, 04:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7I_bvuDglE
     Reply #486 - October 02, 2011, 05:48 PM

woops wrong thread

Formerly known as Iblis
  • Riots in London
     Reply #487 - September 16, 2014, 11:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAjrIvxz8SU&feature=player_embedded

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Riots in London
     Reply #488 - September 16, 2014, 12:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITJcparImeQ

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Riots in London
     Reply #489 - September 16, 2014, 12:37 PM

Cool book, going to read it again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobs-Englishmen-Myths-realities-riots-ebook/dp/B006654U9U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Riots in London
     Reply #490 - September 17, 2014, 09:59 AM

Hmmm, my ban appears to have been lifted, and I am now properly confused.  Never mind, onward and upward.

I have read things on this thread which have caused me great alarm.  How people can seek to justify criminal behaviour and mindless damage is beyond my ability to comprehend.

There is, and can be, no justification for injuring innocent people and destroying their property.  Poverty is not an excuse for taking that which does not belong to you, as this is the way of uneducated and uncivilised louts.

If no law existed, or there was no-one to enforce it, there would be a mindless free for all as savages roamed the streets looking for their next victims.  The logical extension of this would be that your only recourse was to carry a bigger club or knife.  Result = utter carnage.

Those on here who seek to justify unjustifiable behaviour are part of the problem, and I can only hope that they would be as philosophical if they were attacked by a baying mob of low-life rioters.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Riots in London
     Reply #491 - September 17, 2014, 10:03 AM

You may benefit from reading the book I linked, Stephen. It does a good job in dismissing the post hoc riff raff approach of analysing riots.

Kind regards,

Qtian.

• Riots in London
     Reply #492 - September 17, 2014, 10:33 PM

Dear Qtian, et al,

Messrs Reicher & Stott are not unique in their ability to cut through political rhetoric.

The little I have read leads me to suppose that they are unequal to the task of fairly representing the riots and the rioters in a manner which could be understood or accepted by victims.

My own very extensive (first hand) experience of riots leads me to an entirely different conclusion.  Though I passionately dislike and distrust all politicians, and am quite prepared to place the blame for many things at their doorsteps, none of that comes close to mitigating the behaviour of thugs and violent criminals.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Riots in London
     Reply #493 - September 17, 2014, 10:41 PM

I'm not sure that your little reading has done the entire (academic) work justice, Stephen.
    Perhaps you would have a different view of said publiciation if you read it all?

I would love to discuss it with yourself at a later date.

• Riots in London
     Reply #494 - September 18, 2014, 12:30 AM

Dear Qtian,

Perhaps my reluctance to read this work in its entirety stems from having bricks bounced off my head on several occasions. 

Maybe the burns I received from petrol bombs have caused me to be a bit dismissive of attempts to justify such behaviour.

It could be something to do with the fact that I have interviewed and processed dozens of these people, and have found them to be lazy, deceitful, grossly inadequate and criminally motivated.

With experience in Belfast and Londonderry during the bleakest time of the troubles, and in some major UK cities at a time of unparalleled unrest, I think I know rather more about riots than either Mr Reicher or Mr Stott will ever know.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Riots in London
     Reply #495 - September 18, 2014, 09:39 AM

Dear Stephen,

Although I can empathise with your position, I still believe that judging the book on the basis of the "look inside" function on amazon is not a fair representation of the actual material covered.
    You may be surprised to know that the book doesn't actually detract from those who have suffered in riots.

Anyway I'm not here to drag this conversation on for too long, I appreciate your input.

• Riots in London
     Reply #496 - September 18, 2014, 09:46 AM

The "they all have a criminal background" approach however cannot account for cases such as: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024952/London-riots-2011-Olympic-ambassador-Chelsea-Ives-said-best-day-ever.html

• Riots in London
     Reply #497 - September 18, 2014, 10:36 AM

Football hooliganism was a major problem in the 1970's & 80's, as some here will be aware. 

Though it was specifically labelled football hooliganism, it was actually just rioting in and around football grounds.

As some of those who were arrested were professional men, including solicitors, the notion that the causes were socio-economic were laid to rest.

It is an insult to the majority of poor people, who live blameless lives, to suggest that poverty is the cause of bad behaviour.   

I have spoken out on numerous occasions about legislation which I believe to be dangerous and unfair, but it is certainly necessary to uphold those laws which protect life and property.

There is an assumption that ignorance of the law is no defence, and that right and wrong is taught at a Mother's knee.  There is no defence for rioting, and those who seek to mitigate mindless violence are part of the problem.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.

• Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17« Previous thread | Next thread »