Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hola!

(Read 4448 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hola!
     OP - August 04, 2011, 10:29 PM

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for quite some time and just decided to join.

Now a little bit about me. I'm an 18 year old guy and was born into a muslim family. My dad is fairly religious, prays five times a day, goes to the masjid, things like that. I don't know how much my mom believes. I mean she willingly watched Religulous.

A brief background, there's more about my apostasy, but I don't feel like going into detail. Tongue

I wanted to become a better Muslim so I decided to learn more about Islam, but that would actually lead to my apostasy. When I started to read the Qur'an translation, I was shocked. I guess I had a different perception about Islam then what Islam actually was. I figured that there had to be something that I wasn't getting about the Qur'an. First off, I questioned hell. What does it accomplish? Why do good people of different faiths or no faith go there? It didn't seem very fair to send good people there since they honestly believe they are right and they're just following what their parents followed. I guess that's when I realized I was doing the same thing. Following Islam because my parents were muslim. I started to think, "If I was born to Christian parents would I ever convert to Islam?" I don't think so.

If you guys have any questions, then go ahead and ask. Smiley
  • Re: Hola!
     Reply #1 - August 04, 2011, 10:33 PM

Where are you from? where do you live? and what's your bank account details...

here have a  parrot   

Teach us to care and not to care / Teach us to sit still.
    What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult to each other
    You are the music while the music lasts.
    T.S.Eliot
     Reply #2 - August 04, 2011, 10:33 PM

You're name makes me think of verruca treatments.  Grin  Sorry   whistling2

Welcome to CEMB young one.  turnipovich

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #3 - August 04, 2011, 10:34 PM

parrot or turnipovich ... Ahh take both, I'm feeling generous tonight.

Welcome Bazooka! I love your user name .. it's like BAZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA grin12

LOL, how long has it been since you apostated? Have you told anyone? Are you fasting this month?

Smiley
     Reply #4 - August 04, 2011, 10:51 PM

Welcome Bazooka Smiley

Your name takes me back to when my two brothers and I used to pop into the sweet shop on the way home from school and by Bazooka Joe bubble gum with for a ha'penny  grin12

Reply #5 - August 04, 2011, 10:53 PM

Welcome to our humble abode. parrot

Yet another teen.  Cool.  Enjoy.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - August 04, 2011, 11:20 PM

Where are you from? where do you live? and what's your bank account details...

here have a  parrot   

My family background is Egyptian, but I live in the U.S. That's all you're going to get out of me. Tongue

You're name makes me think of verruca treatments.  Grin  Sorry   whistling2

Welcome to CEMB young one.  turnipovich

I usually have my first name in front of the Bazooka whenever I join a forum, and it would definitely remind you of verruca treatments (eww), but I guess I don't feel comfortable in case someone will recognize me.

parrot or turnipovich ... Ahh take both, I'm feeling generous tonight.

Welcome Bazooka! I love your user name .. it's like BAZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA grin12

LOL, how long has it been since you apostated? Have you told anyone? Are you fasting this month?

Smiley

I have been skeptical for about 3 months and just recently concluded that I don't believe in Islam. I leave for college in two weeks, so I don't think it's necessary to tell my family or anyone now. My parents are actually very lenient when it comes to Islam. They let me go out to concerts, hang out with friends until midnight, even hang out with girls (but no girlfriends lol). My dad would definitely freak out and feel like he failed as a father if I told him.

I spend most of the day sleeping so I usually wake up at 3 and I don't really mind waiting the extra 5 hours to eat. I don't like going to taraweeh, though. I've had to do that twice so far.
    Thanks everybody Smiley
     Reply #7 - August 04, 2011, 11:21 PM

hello
     Reply #8 - August 04, 2011, 11:53 PM

Welcome to the forums, Bazooka!  bunny

You seem to have a very similar path to apostasy as I did. Only when I took a neutral and unbiased look at the "book in which there is no doubt" did my doubts about the entire belief system really start coming to fruition. And at the same time I understood that the perception of Islam I had developed so far in my life, was an illusion sold to me which had nothing to do with the reality of Islam.

Anyway, hope you have fun here, this really is a swell place for former muslims to interact with one another.  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #9 - August 05, 2011, 11:57 PM

No Questions, Welcome to the Forum Smiley

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #10 - August 06, 2011, 10:35 PM

Hey Bazooka, welcome! Quite a lot of muslims apostated after reading the BS in which they are supposed to believe. Have a good time on this forum, and you deserve a  bunny

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #11 - August 07, 2011, 02:34 AM

Welcome Bazooka  Afro

Reply #12 - August 07, 2011, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. Smiley
     Reply #13 - August 07, 2011, 03:39 AM

Welcome Bazooka Smiley

Your name takes me back to when my two brothers and I used to pop into the sweet shop on the way home from school and by Bazooka Joe bubble gum with for a ha'penny  grin12

(Clicky for piccy!)

ohhhh my gawd, HASSAN! LOL I was just thinking the same thing! LOL!!!!

Welcome Bazooka!  Here's a welcome jinn for ya lol  ghost

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #14 - August 07, 2011, 05:21 AM

Welcome to CEMB brother Bazooka   parrot

Any muslim who reads Quran with an open, unbiased mind would struggle to continue to be a muslim. Your case just confirms my assertion.  grin12
     Reply #15 - August 07, 2011, 05:27 AM

Yeah, I mean there's some interesting stuff in there, but nothing where I thought, "Wow, this wisdom could not have come from anyone besides the creator."

I'm currently reading the bible out of interest and I have to say it's a much easier read. It's actually a story that doesn't jump around all over the place and doesn't threaten you with the brutal torture of hell all the time. Doesn't make it any more believable, though.
     Reply #16 - August 07, 2011, 06:17 AM

Yeah, I mean there's some interesting stuff in there, but nothing where I thought, "Wow, this wisdom could not have come from anyone besides the creator."

I'm currently reading the bible out of interest and I have to say it's a much easier read. It's actually a story that doesn't jump around all over the place and doesn't threaten you with the brutal torture of hell all the time. Doesn't make it any more believable, though.

Really? Bible is really toned down now. Did you read the old testament? Majority of the bad stuff is in there, and Jesus said that one shouldn't reject the old testament. Even without the old testament, there's a lot of absurdities in there.

Hindu/Buddhist texts are way better to read and has much more depth philosophically instead of this black-and-white theology. Doesn't make any of the BS true though.  Tongue
     Reply #17 - August 07, 2011, 07:24 AM

Yeah, I'm reading from old testament to new and I'm seeing a lot of the bad stuff. I'm just saying that it's a lot easier to follow than the Qur'an and the threat of hell is not in the abundance that it was in Qur'an. At least what I've read so far.
     Reply #18 - August 07, 2011, 07:48 AM

Yeah, I'm reading from old testament to new and I'm seeing a lot of the bad stuff. I'm just saying that it's a lot easier to follow than the Qur'an and the threat of hell is not in the abundance that it was in Qur'an. At least what I've read so far.

Haha, that's true. Quran is much smaller compared to the Bible, but is more "crowded" with the verses of hellfire and torture. So the "saturation" of hellfire and torture is more in the Quran. Perhaps Mo wanted to be extra sure that none leaves Islam afterall.  Roll Eyes
     Reply #19 - August 08, 2011, 08:41 PM

Welcome Smiley parrot
    Lol Judaism doesn't believe in hell so I guess if you're looking for a holy book without excessive talk about torture or hellfire might need to read the Torah as well. It's good to read up on other religions especially the main three because they all indirectly link up with each other. Granted if you're agnostic or Atheist it's BS ,but it's interesting to remove the spiritual bias and see how religion came to be and develope from an academic perspective.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »