Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Creation - BBC Film Portrays Darwin as he Completes On the Origin of Species

(Read 1797 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Creation - BBC Film Portrays Darwin as he Completes On the Origin of Species
     OP - July 21, 2011, 10:33 PM

"Paul Bettany portrays Charles Darwin during his great misgivings on completing his masterwork on evolution which contravened his wife's beliefs and would cause religious turmoil.

In anguish about the religious turmoil it could cause, and the tension it creates with his wife, Charles Darwin is delaying completion of his masterwork On the Origin of Species.

Taking pleasure in his children's interest in scientific truth, he is mindful of the disapproval of the village and does not want to incur the wrath of the whole world.

But as his health, and that of his beloved daughter Anne, deteriorates, he finally realises he must press on, despite his wife's misgivings."

Not much (if any) science in this, but a moving account of the psychological, professional and familial pressures associated with Charles Darwin's heresy and apostasy. This isn't new, though I'm not sure when it was first broadcast. I enjoyed it very much Smiley. It will disappear from BBC iPlayer on Sunday so watch it while you can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012rfpt/Creation/
  • Re: Creation - BBC Film Portrays Darwin as he Completes On the Origin of Species
     Reply #1 - July 21, 2011, 11:11 PM

All the good stuff's never available in US. Crossing my fingers in hopes that it is in the future.

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
  • Re: Creation - BBC Film Portrays Darwin as he Completes On the Origin of Species
     Reply #2 - July 21, 2011, 11:12 PM

Actually he was spurred into publishing by receiving a copy of Wallace's manuscript. He then realised the idea was going to get out soon anyway, so figured he might as well be in on it.

He was writing up his theory in 1858 when Alfred Russel Wallace sent him an essay which described the same idea, prompting immediate joint publication of both of their theories.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - July 21, 2011, 11:40 PM

^and Wallace was a little more terse!
     Reply #4 - July 31, 2011, 09:41 PM

All the good stuff's never available in US. Crossing my fingers in hopes that it is in the future.

me too, the wyre.  Was only able to get a short clip on the making of the film.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »