Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: British Humanist Association Presidency: AC Grayling has Stepped Down

(Read 1698 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • British Humanist Association Presidency: AC Grayling has Stepped Down
     OP - June 16, 2011, 08:10 PM

Anthony Grayling, President Elect of the British Humanist Association, has announced he is to step down from the position. I think Grayling, who has previously expressed support for the CEMB (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/jun/19/thecourageoftheirconvictions), would have made an excellent president but, in light of the current climate surrounding his academic ventures, this seems to be the right decision to make. The BHA have many critically important messages to convey to the public and the distractions that Grayling's presidency would have brought would have been most unhelpful. He has clearly recognised that and so I applaud him for acting in the best interests of the secularist and humanist movements. I do hope that at some point in the not too distant future he can take up his elected position.

Below is an email just received from Andrew Copson. The "other areas of my public life" to which Grayling refers relate to his much reported New College of the Humanities.

"Dear Member,

Anthony Grayling, the President-elect of the BHA, has decided to step down from that position and not to take office as President on 1 July.

In doing so Professor Grayling said, 'It was an honour to be named President of the British Humanist Association and I very much looked forward to working alongside the staff and trustees over the next two years to promote Humanism - a vitally important task in today's world. Unfortunately, I believe that controversy generated by activities in another area of my public life will make it difficult in the next two years for me to be the sort of President that I would like to be for the BHA and all its members and supporters. In deciding to stand down and let the Trustees of the BHA appoint an alternative President, I wish them all the best in their important task.'

Robert Ashby, Chair of the Trustees of the BHA, has responded, 'We thank Anthony Grayling for the concern he has shown for the BHA and its work and regret the circumstances that have led him to step down as our President-elect. His decades of work in the causes that humanists espouse – secularism in our public life, freedom and human rights at home and globally, science and reason in our struggle to know the universe and humanity in our treatment of ourselves and other people - remain of great value.'

Polly Toynbee, currently President of the BHA, will continue as President until a new President is appointed by the Trustees later this year.

Many thanks to all of you for your ongoing support of the work of the BHA.

Best wishes,

Andrew Copson
    Chief Executive"
  • Re: British Humanist Association Presidency: AC Grayling has Stepped Down
     Reply #1 - June 16, 2011, 08:26 PM

is this the controversy they are referring to??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/16/tory-party-donor-peter-hall-grayling-university

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - June 16, 2011, 08:36 PM

Not that this particular individual has helped finance it; more the whole concept of a private liberal arts college. It's attracted quite vocal and disruptive protests targeted at those associated with it, such as at the Dawkins/Myers talk last week (http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=15892.0).
     Reply #3 - June 16, 2011, 08:37 PM

such a shame he lost it over that - lets hope an equally high profile celeb takes over the reigns

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #4 - June 16, 2011, 09:07 PM

It'll probably be another of their current Vice Presidents or Distinguished Supporters (http://www.humanism.org.uk/about/people/distinguished-supporters). A rather high calibre bunch!
     Reply #5 - June 16, 2011, 09:42 PM

Whoever takes his place must not shy away from criticising Islam (as well as other religions of course).   Is Johann Hari on that list of distinguished supporters?

*checks*

No he isn't.  Someone like him would've been good.

Reply #6 - June 16, 2011, 10:03 PM

Whilst I agree Islam shouldn't get given a free ride, I'm not sure the BHA should be focussing on criticism of particular religions. Atheist and secularist organisations can tackle Islam and Islamism respectively, but humanism should for the most part be a positive expression of an alternative personal philosophy. For you and I, cold hard rational atheism may suffice, but for many it simply doesn't. For those, the warmth that comes from a positive humanist outlook can be an attractive alternative to the superficial niceties of religious community, self-purpose, dictated morality, etc. To put it a little more succinctly, I think humanism is most effective against religion when it isn't expressed in an overtly confrontational manner.
     Reply #7 - June 16, 2011, 10:16 PM

The above, I should stress, was not intended to be any reflection on Johann Hari. I know almost nothing about him but will endeavour to do some reading...
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »