Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Former Egyptian/Persian Christian. I'm new!

(Read 2214 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Former Egyptian/Persian Christian. I'm new!
     OP - June 16, 2011, 01:17 AM

I know this is a website mainly for ex-Muslims but I feel like what I went through being an Agnostic in a Middle Eastern Christian household gives me a reason to be here Smiley

I was born in Cairo to an Egyptian father and Assyrian/Persian mother both of whom were deeply religious. We ended up moving to America when I was about 6 and I've been back quite a few times. I probably won't be going anytime soon given the current situation. Anyways, I was essentially raised to have a deep resentment towards the religion of Islam, not the people. Sometimes in Church, I thought they talked more about hating Islam more than they talked about being a Christian. They used to scare me into believing. I was threatened with going to Hell for any transgression. I knew by the time I was 14 that it was all BS. When I told my parents that I was Agnostic they kicked me out of the house when I was 17.

I don't like the religion of Islam at all. I hate what it instructs Muslims to do in regards to non-believers and women but I can't really say that Arab Christians are much better. Sure, my parents didn't threaten to kill me but they disowned me for such an unimportant reason. I could understand if I was a hard drug user or gang-banger but my faith? What made the situation worse was they constantly pissed and moaned about how Muslims were so intolerant of other faiths........surely you can see the hypocrisy in their actions.

I know there are many, many ex-Christians and Muslims of Middle Eastern descent perhaps even among my own peers but I also know very well their fear of coming out. You become isolated and people look at you as a black sheep. Luckily, my close friends many of whom are either Christian or Muslim of various origins in the Middle East have accepted who I am. However, there are still quite a few who look at me with disgust when I tell them I'm Agnostic. I'm even luckier to have a great gf who is Syrian and also Agnostic.

Well, I won't bore you anymore with myself lol I'm glad to have found this website and look forward to meet and getting to know some of you  thnkyu
  • Re: Former Egyptian/Persian Christian. I'm new!
     Reply #1 - June 16, 2011, 01:39 AM

signwelcome  Masri Infidel (what is with these n00bs with such amazingly intriguing names?!) 001_tongue

You're absolutely correct for thinking you have the right to be here. Even muslims have the right to be here, they just don't get off with the best of our interests. Anyhow, I am shocked and disappointed at your parents actions. What a clever and caring move to disown their son at the mere age of 17. Disgusiting. I suppose hypocrisy, intolerance and lack of understanding surpasses all divisions; even religion.

I'm also extremely surprised at the unsurprising act of inciting racial discrimination by your church/parents. It's unfortunate that people can function with such immoral indefensible belief systems.

So since you have moved out of your family home, where are you in your life now? how long has it been since you left home? Are you still in contact with your family?

parrot

Reply #2 - June 16, 2011, 01:52 AM

how old are you?

and welcome ofc Cheesy

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #3 - June 16, 2011, 02:22 AM

Welcome!  We have ex christians as well as ex muslims here.
    You will find all the support you want/need here, you have
    come to the right place.  Again, WELCOME!   bunny

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #4 - June 16, 2011, 02:55 AM

I'm even luckier to have a great gf who is Syrian and also Agnostic.

Sounds like you got a good thing out of the deal.

Welcome. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #5 - June 16, 2011, 09:11 AM

Ahlan wa sahlan.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #6 - June 16, 2011, 04:38 PM

Welcome.  Smiley

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #7 - June 16, 2011, 04:45 PM

Welcome from an ex-Christian! Reading your post I'm beginning to think that problems with apostacy have to do with culture rather than with religion. Although my Dutch parents ware not very pleased with my apostacy they allowed me, saying that I had to live by my own concience. I still thank them for that  Wink

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #8 - June 16, 2011, 04:48 PM

Welcome, brother.

"In battle, the well-honed spork is more dangerous than the mightiest sword" -- Sun Tzu
     Reply #9 - June 19, 2011, 11:11 AM

Ahlan yal masri  parrot
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »