Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Music in Islam

(Read 4740 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Music in Islam
     OP - June 09, 2011, 01:41 AM

The comments in this video are depressing! These people think Islam prohibits music when it really doesn't if you check in the Quran.

"after i watched this i deleted all my song list it hurt at first; but i feel so much more happier now."
    "Ok I'm giving up music! Please make du'a I dont revert back to it insha'Allah"
    "Mashalllah, i aint ever ever and ever going to liesten to music."
    "Today i'm attempting to rid my life of music. Inshallah i'll succeed"
    "By listening to "songs" you are going for feeling, like a drug. A HARMFUL drug, which is still, in Islam, not permissible."
    "anyone who even has an average level of Imaan, once they hear music, INSTANTLY it is like poison to the heart. it really is. at that moment ul realise its filth."
    "make one for games please, i seem addicted to them."
    "can muslims play video games?Huh??can somebody please answer"
    "
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nKzAmkB44ik
  • Re: Music in Islam
     Reply #1 - June 09, 2011, 02:15 AM

Ugh WTF are they talking about?

They are so brainwashed.

What are they scared of feeling? Heck, music CAN bring forth a spiritual feeling that makes you feel closer to your God!!!!!!
    I know this, because it's happened to me before.

At any rate... pure stupidity. I never have and never will understand this "music is haraam" thing.

Funny you made this thread actually because I was about to. Why do you guys think they consider it haraam? And what kind of insane justifications do they have for that?

And the lowest of the low stupid might pick the easy answer and say things like:
    "Because it has a curse word."
    "Because it's talking about romantic love and sex."

NO, YOU IDIOTS. TRY HARDER. I'll give you that those songs would be considered "haraam" even though I don't think so.  Roll Eyes However, what about songs/music that don't fit this? Just beautiful music that does no harm. (There are a lot of artists doing amazing things out there, that I don't think these guys realize exist. They're just speaking out of musical ignorance and speaking out of personal experience about popular mainstream music and the junk it brings to the world.) Music without words even - instrumental.

I can go on and on but the point is this is the stupidest thing about Islam ever I think.

And to say certain INSTRUMENTS are haraam? WTF?Huh?Huh?  Huh? *a bunch of angry expletives*  finmad

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #2 - June 09, 2011, 05:07 AM

The comments in this video are depressing! These people think Islam prohibits music when it really doesn't if you check in the Quran.

"after i watched this i deleted all my song list it hurt at first; but i feel so much more happier now."
    "By listening to "songs" you are going for feeling, like a drug. A HARMFUL drug, which is still, in Islam, not permissible."
    "anyone who even has an average level of Imaan, once they hear music, INSTANTLY it is like poison to the heart. it really is. at that moment ul realise its filth."
    "

I can't give up my AC/DC and Metal Gear games. But I really haven't heard much of this until a year ago. Which I was pretty astonished to hear.
     Reply #3 - June 09, 2011, 07:14 AM

Reminds me of this:
    "These are real bad times…Islam is cracking up. We’ve got women talking back. We’ve got people playing stringed instruments. It’s the end of days."  Cheesy
     Reply #4 - June 09, 2011, 08:22 AM

Take all you need but my music leaves with meee.

Get crunk.
     Reply #5 - June 09, 2011, 09:05 AM

All that is human and beautiful, is to be hated and destroyed.

Music is one of the most beautiful things humans have. And it comes from us, from humans, and is at the centre of a human centric universe. So all that impedes Islam's status must be destroyed.

If it was feasible, these types of Muslims would say that Islam forbids sight, and call for Muslims to blind themselves because sight distracts and tempts and contemplates beautiful things, and is therefore away from Allah.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - June 09, 2011, 09:21 AM

hopeintheair:

I have figured out why its considered haram among some Muslims. Its because Allah is jealous on Lady Gaga and musicians in general. For Allah this is a popularity contest. Allah is like an attention seeking child. Seriously. According to the Muslims who consider music haram its haram because it will make you go astray from the religion since you are using your time on something else then prayer and dhikr.....

But the question is what about when you are sleeping then? You sleep for 8-10 hours. Why didnt Allah just drop that part so humans can pray to him more hours?

And that Ex-Musician is a douchebag who is generalizing music. "Music is all about drugs and sex"? Even Beethoven?

A religion which consideres music (and art) as a threat is a pretty fucked up religion to be honest.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #7 - June 09, 2011, 09:25 AM

Afghansolja wrote:

When Allah (SWT) has forbid music then u must not listen to it. there shouldn't be any question asked. if u ask questions like why or it is a lie then you are claiming that u r more knowledgeable than Allah (SWT).

Basically Allah is Stalin with supernatural power. An intergalactic tyrant.  whistling2

- John Keats
     Reply #8 - June 09, 2011, 09:29 AM

LOL. He is quoting Plato at 6-7 minutes.

I dont think Al Ghazali will approve that.  piggy

- John Keats
     Reply #9 - June 09, 2011, 10:22 AM

Sick!! finmad At this rate nothing, very soon nothing will be halal !

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #10 - June 09, 2011, 10:27 AM

hopeintheair:
    Its because Allah is jealous on Lady Gaga and musicians in general. For Allah this is a popularity contest. Allah is like an attention seeking child.

Good observation. In other realms it plays out like this - Allah is jealous of those people who do not worship him also, jealous of other religions or belief systems. Thats why his dawah emissaries devote their lives to converting people so this petty little Wizard of Oz can be assuaged.

A religion which consideres music (and art) as a threat is a pretty fucked up religion to be honest.

To be honest, those who want to turn Islam into this anti-human, anti-art, anti-beauty bleakness are not just puritans, they are expressing a dark pathology.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #11 - June 09, 2011, 10:51 AM

I don't think I'm allowed to reproduce the whole article, but this bit seems faintly pertinent as a historical footnote.

Quote from: Farmer, H.G., "G̲H̲inā", The Encyclopedia of Islam, Second Edition, E.J. Brill, Leiden
    At the birth of Islam there was no opposition to singing, since even the Prophet Muḥammad himself had joined in the toil-song at the digging of the trenches at Mecca, yet the four Orthodox Caliphs are reported to have been—more or less—in opposition to any indulgence in listening (al-samāʿ) to singing or any music. As a result, the rigid school of religious law in ʿIrāḳ prohibited, and that, more accommodating, of Madina, allowed singing, and a whole library of literature—both for and against—came into existence on al-samāʿ. Indeed a legal fiction arose which argued that the cantillation ( tag̲h̲bīr) of the Ḳurʾān was not the same as singing, as we read in Ibn Ḵh̲aldūn. Yet, as Ibn Ḳutayba pointed out, the rule and practice of cantillation and singing were identical, and—as we read in the ʿIḳd of IbnʿAbd Rabbih—if the artistic song was illegal, so was the chanting of the Ḳurʾān. Human nature, being what it is, could not accept the bigoted ruling of the pious, and so there arose, in addition to the privately owned ḳayna or singing-girl, the professional musician (mug̲h̲annī), the first recorded being Ṭuways (10/632-92/711 [q.v.]).

Reply #12 - June 09, 2011, 10:59 AM

Music being effectively haram was one of the last straws for me... I mean, imagine an i-Pod filled with male voices chanting over drum beats whilst Sami Yusuf or Zain Bhika whines incessantly about A being for Allah...  Cheesy My mother works in a Muslim school, and just hearing the songs they make children listen to (with no instruments of course) made me die a little inside, just thinking about a room full of 60 kids listening to the same repetitive, droning, propaganda, learning their place in Allah's dictatorship.

Music is only banned with instruments of course... there is a hadith that anyone who listens to it (or wears gold or silk) will get turned into pigs on the day of judgement or something.
     Reply #13 - June 09, 2011, 11:21 AM

"Music has the power to cross borders, to break military sieges and establish real dialogue."
    ~ Zack de la Rocha

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #14 - June 09, 2011, 11:38 AM

"Music has the power to cross borders, to break military sieges and establish real dialogue."
    ~ Zack de la Rocha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3stg7RstE

Azam Khan  Bangladesh RIP... A 60 year old Bangladesh freedom fighter and Rock Star of Bangladesh

I don't think I'm allowed to reproduce the whole article, but this bit seems faintly pertinent as a historical footnote.

At the birth of Islam there was no opposition to singing, since even the Prophet Muḥammad himself had joined in the toil-song at the digging of the trenches at Mecca, yet the four Orthodox Caliphs are reported to have been—more or less—in opposition to any indulgence in listening (al-samāʿ) to singing or any music. As a result, the rigid school of religious law in ʿIrāḳ prohibited, and that, more accommodating, of Madina, allowed singing, and a whole library of literature—both for and against—came into existence on al-samāʿ. Indeed a legal fiction arose which argued that the cantillation ( tag̲h̲bīr) of the Ḳurʾān was not the same as singing, as we read in Ibn Ḵh̲aldūn. Yet, as Ibn Ḳutayba pointed out, the rule and practice of cantillation and singing were identical, and—as we read in the ʿIḳd of IbnʿAbd Rabbih—if the artistic song was illegal, so was the chanting of the Ḳurʾān. Human nature, being what it is, could not accept the bigoted ruling of the pious, and so there arose, in addition to the privately owned ḳayna or singing-girl, the professional musician (mug̲h̲annī), the first recorded being Ṭuways (10/632-92/711 [q.v.])

[/quote]Well you could give the link Toor., but those people who wrote that have not used COMMON SENSE to analyze the history of Islam.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #15 - June 09, 2011, 12:03 PM

Harie Gese...Khuje Pabona...Azom Khan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt4-twBLfng
    DHAKA: Tens of thousands of mourners gathered on Monday at a university in Dhaka to pay their last respects to Azam Khan, the country’s most famous pop star who died over the weekend.

Khan, 62, who also fought in the country’s liberation war against Pakistan in 1971, died on Sunday morning after a year-long battle with cancer, triggering an outpouring of grief in Bangladesh’s vibrant music world.

Khan was rushed to Singapore last year after he was diagnosed with oral cancer but was forced to abandon the treatment and return to Bangladesh due to a lack of money, which he blamed on music piracy.

Khan has repeatedly bemoaned Bangladesh’s poor copyright laws, telling AFP in November that he could not pay for his medical treatment despite having made 17 hit albums which have sold millions of copies.

“I would have been a millionaire with personal jet of my own had I lived in the West. Yet I live like a pauper. All I have got is love from ordinary folks,” he said.

Reply #16 - June 09, 2011, 12:07 PM

yeezevee:
    More Bengali (from Gitanjali):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGuDO7FfDWQ

Beautiful!

- John Keats
     Reply #17 - June 09, 2011, 12:36 PM

yeezevee:
    More Bengali (from Gitanjali):
    Beautiful!

Gitanjali...Gitanjali... Beautiful!.. indeed Beautiful!..

Flow of Emotions on Migration from the Land you Love

Garry Schyman - Praan ... - Praan ..  - Praan ..Life.. The life

Reply #18 - June 09, 2011, 01:18 PM

Well you could give the link Toor., but those people who wrote that have not used COMMON SENSE to analyze the history of Islam.

Cheesy Common sense? The ghost of Gramsci would like a word with you..

I have access to Brill Online through my employers' library. Sadly, my link wouldn't do anybody outside our IP space any good.
     Reply #19 - June 09, 2011, 01:23 PM

Cheesy Common sense? The ghost of Gramsci would like a word with you..

Well.. Iam zombie and I don't mind talking to ghosts..

I have access to Brill Online through my employers' library. Sadly, my link wouldn't do anybody outside our IP space any good.

are you talking about this bookE.J. Brill's first encyclopedia of Islam, 1913-1936  By M. Th. Houtsma
     If it is , we can read quite a bit of that book at that link..  http://www.brill.nl/uploadedFiles/EI3preview.pdf

Reply #20 - June 09, 2011, 02:20 PM

I'm loath to use Wikipedia, but this tells you all you need to know.

And my quote was from the second edition (as per cite above), published between 1960-2005. What you have there is a preview of the third edition..
     Reply #21 - June 09, 2011, 02:29 PM

"

I suppose that makes nasheed songs haram too, then?  Because by listening to them you're going for a "feeling" too. Roll Eyes
     Reply #22 - June 10, 2011, 12:54 AM

All that is human and beautiful, is to be hated and destroyed.

Music is one of the most beautiful things humans have. And it comes from us, from humans, and is at the centre of a human centric universe. So all that impedes Islam's status must be destroyed.

If it was feasible, these types of Muslims would say that Islam forbids sight, and call for Muslims to blind themselves because sight distracts and tempts and contemplates beautiful things, and is therefore away from Allah.

Seriously.  Let's just forbid hearing.  Roll Eyes There are so many sounds in the world that can be pleasant.. it's not even just music..

Music comes from humans - but that's just the thing, isn't it? It comes from us, but then shouldn't Muslims consider that means it actually comes from Allah? Since he created you and gave you all these talents to make music, therefore it is permissible. "Everything comes from Allah."

But, I guess with this thought, they could argue Allah gave them a sex drive too...  that doesn't mean sex is allowed (besides under the obvious circumstances, of course).  Roll Eyes

Another stupid argument I hear is that music is haraam because it causes dancing. (and dancing can lead to sex?  Cheesy)

I listen to a lot of music that is not dance-able. You just can't dance to it and anyone that does is probably doing it for jokes. It's like when you go to a show and someone crowd surfs to a band who's music completely does not call for that.  Cheesy

Reply #23 - June 10, 2011, 01:07 AM

I hate that this form of Islam is being practiced in my own household  mysmilie_977

My mum always insisted that me, my sister and brother should stop listening to music/watching tv. She stopped listening to music about a year ago and it's really sad to see her stressing out with the triple shift she has to deal with and not a single hobby that she could release it all out with. She loved classics like Rahat Fateh Ali Khan who i personally think is amazing too. Now all she listens to is Nasheeds and sermons of a sheikh in Multan.

I remember how i had to abstain from listening to music on Umraah and oh my fucking lord was it painful or what finmad i had to make do with some rap nasheeds which were pretty catchy and not too bad, LOL thank god at the time i was still a muslim, in fact probably the most islamified i had ever been.

I hate that since i've apostasised my brother has taken to the deeper end of Islam, he is less understanding of other cultures and faiths than me and my sister, and he also has stopped listening to music. How i wish i could do something to bring some life and soul back into his life sad but i guess i've completely ruined my chances of fixing anything with him since i came out to my family. He hasn't spoken to me for four months sad

Islam is so self- no wait Allah is so fucking self conceited. So bloody insecure of his own needy demands, it makes no sense why a NON human characterised GOD would be so self conscious that he needs constant devotion and admiration?!

finmad finmad
     Reply #24 - June 10, 2011, 01:19 AM

I know what you mean, girl.

My mom always tells me to stop playing so much music in the house, or at least to turn the Quran on every once in a while. (She says this because she knows what I'm like and trying to be thoughtful towards me. However, if it was up to her she'd tell me to play the Quran way more often.)

Is it just me or.... do you guys also get depressed when you hear it?

And I don't mean just now. I mean before when you were a Muslim, however religious you were... I've never enjoyed hearing it. It actually made me quite sad.
    And that's not because I understood what it meant.. although that would probably have the same effect, albeit for a completely different reason  Cheesy

Reply #25 - June 10, 2011, 01:26 AM

Cheesy is it cos it did not turn you on?

Yeah my mum plays the quran ( i think surah baqarah) every morning on fucking loud speakers and jesus fucking christ it makes me wana go deaf finmad

I don't mind the way the quran sounds by certain speakers, Wink LOL look at me turning a completely pious (pervy i mean Tongue) man's voice into voice sex Cheesy

but seriously i do like the sound of some imam's who make it sound so melodious, unlike some shitty mullah who makes it monotous and makes me brain dead  mysmilie_977
     Reply #26 - June 10, 2011, 07:03 AM

This is one of the things that infuriates me about Islam, i remember long time ago when i was a child, i asked my mum to buy headphones for me,then a wife of my uncle warned that during the day of judgement, the angels will put a balls of fire in your ears to be burned blah blah blah. I said "whatever" Mum just buy me the headphones and besides there was no such thing as headphones during Mo's time so how could they know.

Another instance, i had a friend of mine who was going to burn her whole original CD collections with their jackets because she quits listening to music and i said hold up wait a minute let me have them since you dont need them. She gladly gave it to me.

It irks me anytime i hear such things like that.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »