Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 11:51 PM

Is there anyone who know ...
Yesterday at 03:20 PM

مدهش----- لماذا؟؟؟؟
by akay
April 23, 2019, 11:49 AM

Scientists and .............
by akay
April 22, 2019, 07:23 PM

Freely down loadable Boo...
April 16, 2019, 12:50 PM

Hello Everyone in Oxfords...
April 14, 2019, 09:14 PM

Urgent! Trying to get in ...
April 11, 2019, 01:21 PM

An Atheists Concession to...
April 03, 2019, 08:56 PM

ركن المتحدثين هايد بارك ل...
by akay
April 03, 2019, 09:30 AM

Does Negative Atheism Adv...
March 31, 2019, 09:18 PM

Ex-Muslim Group in the Mi...
March 31, 2019, 08:06 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 267949 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 215 216 217« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6480 - Yesterday at 11:15 AM

Altara .. Hi Altara.. what happened ??  I read your response to me .. and I was reading my good friend Akay  and by the time I was trying to respond to you your response to me has been deleted.. Why?  there was NOTHING WRONG  in what you said along with few yawns 

Cheesy
    It is true it is NOT there in "RABBINICAL JUDAISM " or In Islam or in that Zoroastrianism

Of course.

were there any Jewish sects that were practicing  some sort of Monasticism or Monastic way of life with in Jewish faith of that time .say between 1st century AD to 5th century??

Nope.  One does not know Jewish sects with this feature. Because after 70, there is not  (known) Jewish sect that one might call them "sect"  apart Rabbanism. Qumran  is not "monastic" place ( in fact, nobody knows what is Qumran...). Is the movement of Jesus (born before 70) a Jewish sect? Yes it is. But what one calls Monasticism or Monastic way of life is a Christian (maybe influenced by contemporary Gnosticism) feature.
    Yet, Gnosticism is a Jewish before Jesus (I think...) invention which has developed traits that can be found in the monastic life developed by Christianity.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6481 - Yesterday at 03:46 PM

Yes, Karaism is an interesting thing. Somehow, it could be very tempting to see it in relation with the Quran. But it seems appears after the 7th c. I think Dye thought about it.

I think the example of Karaism can be useful to show what kind of sects (secretive or not) could be formed in Late Antiquity. Out of what exactly originated Karaism, we can only guess. Just as we can only guess what the origins of proto-Islam were. But we do have an ealy text (Quran) and generals behaving in a novel way showing some people had the idea of merging Christian with Jewish material.

Yeez, I think your question of Jewish monasticism is relevant. Apparently there was quite some reticence towards monasticism although there are records of desert preachers (eg St John the Baptist) that fit quite well in the tradition later on developed in Christianity.

So we have both contrasting elements in the Quran: 1/ praising the monks  2/ Jewish style marriage promotion above all.

A sign to indeed look at a sect that was formed by intellectuals coming from both traditions?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6482 - Yesterday at 11:51 PM

Out of what exactly originated , we can only guess

Internal sectarian struggle : Karaism vs Rabbanism

there are records of desert preachers (eg St John the Baptist) that fit quite well in the tradition later on developed in Christianity.

No need of John. Jesus is sufficient.
    A sign to indeed look at a sect that was formed by intellectuals coming from both traditions?

https://www.academia.edu/38143375/Jewish_Christianity_the_Qur_%C4%81n_and_Early_Islam_Some_Methodological_Caveats  (yawn...)
  • Previous page 1 ... 215 216 217« Previous thread | Next thread »