Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hey New Member

(Read 20044 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hey New Member
     OP - June 05, 2011, 09:15 AM

Hey I'm a new member to this site. I found it while being linked to a thread in which discusses why many believe the Quran to be ambiguous. I found there to be some interesting discussions and I went in haste to discuss with the members. But as any person with manners I feel I need to introduce myself before stepping into someone's home. I'm a 19 year old Muslim man/guy who lives in the U.S I've recently been interested in religion and as such have been put under scrutiny to produce proof for said beliefs from a number of faiths Christians, Jews, Catholics, and atheists. But one side I've never considered learning about is "Ex-Muslims" as such I'm here to learn more. I hope to see many of you around the forums. See ya!
  • Re: Hey New Member
     Reply #1 - June 05, 2011, 09:32 AM

Hello Eternity, and welcome to the forum!

"But as any person with manners I feel I need to introduce myself before stepping into someone's home."

Haha, that reminds me of a particular aaya in the Quran. Hold on, lemme look it up...

Yeah, here it is, An-Nur:27

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَدْخُلُوا بُيُوتًا غَيْرَ بُيُوتِكُمْ حَتَّى تَسْتَأْنِسُوا وَتُسَلِّمُوا عَلَى أَهْلِهَا ذَلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ {النور:27}

Do you speak any Arabic?

By the way, I'd just like to point out that atheism is not exactly a faith as much as it is the lack thereof. So one doesn't really "prove" it; one merely defaults to it in the absence of proof for alternatives.

Anyway, glad to have you here! Here's a parrot!  parrot

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #2 - June 05, 2011, 09:33 AM

Welcome to the forum, but i have to be blunt with you for your own good. Dont come here with the notion that most ex-muslims here dont know a lot about Islam because we do or try to make a blind assumption. This is not the first time we received such hostilities from Muslims.

i hope am wrong, if so i hope you enjoy your stay in this forum.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #3 - June 05, 2011, 09:47 AM

Haha, if I were a Muslim I'd have hurled 49:12 at you, Naija Tongue

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #4 - June 05, 2011, 10:22 AM

Hello eternity, welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to finding out what you hope to gain from it.  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #5 - June 05, 2011, 10:50 AM

Welcome Eternity!

I pray your life isn't ruined by these forums&chat, as many have fallen and many on their way down, trapped in this section of the virtual world.....  Cry

On the brighter side, you get to have another parrot  parrot

Afro

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #6 - June 05, 2011, 10:58 AM

signwelcome

parrot
     Reply #7 - June 05, 2011, 04:43 PM

Yes! More 19 year olds from the US  dance
    Welcome Eternity grin12
    Where from the US are you?
     Reply #8 - June 05, 2011, 04:50 PM

Hola.

Smiley

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #9 - June 05, 2011, 05:00 PM

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #10 - June 05, 2011, 05:00 PM

Hello there Eternity.

Mind if I ask you a few questions regarding your beliefs?
     Reply #11 - June 05, 2011, 05:26 PM

oh no, everyone hide behind your couch Terror couch the Spinoza is out Tongue
     Reply #12 - June 05, 2011, 05:35 PM

Well Hello there Eternity, you're a brave soul for becoming a member right away and not lurking. I compliment that.  Afro Stick around and enjoy the debates and try as much as you can not to be ambiguous or emotional.

I'm open for debate (of why we should re-/embrace Islam), but I will no longer participate in this forum. Message me if you need anything. Good luck and may you all find your way... again...
     Reply #13 - June 05, 2011, 05:36 PM

popcorn

I'm open for debate (of why we should re-/embrace Islam), but I will no longer participate in this forum. Message me if you need anything. Good luck and may you all find your way... again...
     Reply #14 - June 05, 2011, 06:04 PM

popcorn welcome Smiley

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #15 - June 05, 2011, 06:12 PM

Welcome to the forum, Eternity.  I hope you are being honest about who you are and you are not a troll.  I look forward to discussing Islam with you.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #16 - June 05, 2011, 06:48 PM

Hello Eternity, and welcome to the forum!

"But as any person with manners I feel I need to introduce myself before stepping into someone's home."

Haha, that reminds me of a particular aaya in the Quran. Hold on, lemme look it up...

Yeah, here it is, An-Nur:27

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَدْخُلُوا بُيُوتًا غَيْرَ بُيُوتِكُمْ حَتَّى تَسْتَأْنِسُوا وَتُسَلِّمُوا عَلَى أَهْلِهَا ذَلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ {النور:27}

Do you speak any Arabic?

By the way, I'd just like to point out that atheism is not exactly a faith as much as it is the lack thereof. So one doesn't really "prove" it; one merely defaults to it in the absence of proof for alternatives.

Anyway, glad to have you here! Here's a parrot!  parrot

True, it is a lack of belief. But Gnostic Athiest like to believe with great certainty that God does not exist. In such cases as these do I ask for them to bring proof of their disbelief. Though regular atheist are just a lack of belief in the evidence of religon. That's where I hope to discuss certain things.

As for your question I don't speak Arabic aside from a few common words. Though I am learning.

Yes! More 19 year olds from the US  dance
    Welcome Eternity grin12
    Where from the US are you?

I'm from California

Hello there Eternity.

Mind if I ask you a few questions regarding your beliefs?

Question away. I've been doing the same to others I don't see why I can't be questioned.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome I hope to be more active here.
     Reply #17 - June 05, 2011, 06:54 PM

Usual question to start -Do you subscribe to the majority view that disbelief/polytheism is the biggest crime in Islam? If you are exposed to Islam, and reject it, you will be sent to hell forever?

And do you accept evolution?
     Reply #18 - June 05, 2011, 07:11 PM

Do you subscribe to the majority view that disbelief/polytheism is the biggest crime in Islam?

Yes, though I always saw Shirk as being the biggest. Not to mention seeing some convert back to Islam. But yes I do feel it's considered a big crime in Islam.

If you are exposed to Islam, and reject it, you will be sent to hell forever?

Well I know that's how it goes but I like to believe that it depends the person's knowledge and how he acted accordingly to it. I feel that's how we are to be judged. This is a opinion I've formed on my opinion can't really back it up. But in generally what you say is true.

And do you accept evolution?

Evolution? Yes I do accept it......to a certain degree. I don't understand how man can come from primitive monkey's. But I can't really much on the subject as there is much for me to learn. Hopefully I'll understand it better it's really interesting thing to think about.
     Reply #19 - June 05, 2011, 07:15 PM

And do you think belief is a choice? Do you think we have chosen to disbelieve?

Evolution is a fascinating subject, perhaps if you outline your understanding of it we could try to help you see how man evolved. And if you accept that man evolved... surely you can see that Allah's man-like character so obviously betrays the fingerprints of the man who dreamt him up?
     Reply #20 - June 05, 2011, 07:18 PM

Yes, I do believe "belief" is a choice. It's underlined in our free will. So yes I do believe you've chosen to disbelieve.

What I know?

Not much aside from seeing a few Islamic videos and it being briefly mentioned in High School. Aside from that not much. But I do feel I've grasped the general aspects of it. But still much is left to learn.
     Reply #21 - June 05, 2011, 07:21 PM

Can you choose to believe the keyboard you're typing with doesn't exist? Can you choose to believe flying pigs do exist? Can you choose to believe God is a spaghetti monster?
     Reply #22 - June 05, 2011, 07:26 PM

Can you choose to believe the keyboard you're typing with doesn't exist?

Yes I can. Though I would be considered delusional.

Can you choose to believe flying pigs do exist?

You can believe this.

Can you choose to believe God is a spaghetti monster?

You can but it would cease to be God with the definition of God.

Reply #23 - June 05, 2011, 07:26 PM

Hi and welcome Eternity.

I found it while being linked to a thread in which discusses why many believe the Quran to be ambiguous.

It's pretty much a fact that Quran is ambiguous. Even within Islam there are different interpretations of it.

Though regular atheist are just a lack of belief in the evidence of religon. That's where I hope to discuss certain things.

Not really. Certain religion might or might not be true. There certainly is no evidence to support extraordinary claims made by Islam.
    However as an atheist I find god completely irrelevant - at least as far as morality is concerned.
     Reply #24 - June 05, 2011, 07:31 PM

Can you choose to believe the keyboard you're typing with doesn't exist?

Yes I can. Though I would be considered delusional.

Can you choose to believe flying pigs do exist?

You can believe this.

Can you choose to believe God is a spaghetti monster?

You can but it would cease to be God with the definition of God.

I'm not asking whether it's possible or not for someone to believe those. I'm asking whetehr you can choose to believe them. Please try choosing to believe them, 1 by 1, see how far you get. And by that I don't mean simply stating you believe them, I mean actually altering your state of mind to believe them.
     Reply #25 - June 05, 2011, 07:34 PM

I'm not askign whether you can or cannot believe those. I'm asking whetehr you can choose to believe them. Please try choosing to believe them, 1 by 1, see how far you get. And by that I don't mean simply stating you believe them, I mean actually altering your state of mind to believe them.

I can't as I don't believe any of that to be true. So while I might believe it I'd be lying to myself.
     Reply #26 - June 05, 2011, 07:35 PM

So then why do you think our disbelief in Islam is a choice?  If you can't force yourself to believe in something, it should stand to reason that nor can we.

Welcome, btw.   Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #27 - June 05, 2011, 07:36 PM

I can't as I don't believe any of that to be true. So while I might believe it I'd be lying to myself.

Exactly. You can't just choose to believe something. You either do or you don't. You can be made to believe/disbelieve, by evidence, by argument, by experience. But you can't flick a switch and just choose to believe the opposite.

So I ask you again, do you think we can just choose to believe in Allah ad Islam?
     Reply #28 - June 05, 2011, 07:37 PM

Welcome to CEMB Eternity  Afro

popcorn

井の中の蛙大海を知らず。
    (I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu)
    A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
     Reply #29 - June 05, 2011, 07:38 PM

Such a typical trait of theists; to apply double standards.

popcorn
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »