Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Future of Islam in the Age of New Media

(Read 3195 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Future of Islam in the Age of New Media
     OP - June 01, 2011, 11:34 AM

Just came across this: http://www.islamintheageofnewmedia.com. You'll need to enter your email to get access to the MP3.
    Something big is happening. For over a thousand years, Islamic scholars have generally maintained significant control over the production, interpretation, and dissemination of Islamic texts and content to Muslim masses throughout the world.

Now, for the first time ever in human history, that is beginning to radically change. New media—Facebook, WordPress, Twitter, YouTube, and many more online tools—have made publishing and the sharing of content easy and democratized.

As a result, millions of Muslim Internet users today are getting exposed to a huge diversity of ideas and theological opinions on Islam, unlike ever before. Moreover, they have newfound freedoms to speak their minds and spread their ideas hardly with any restrictions at all.

Some of these ideas are troublesome and seek to lure young Muslims into extremist groups. Many further reinforce current mainstream Islamic thought. Others are deemed too liberal, heretical, and illegitimate by the orthodoxies, but are growing in influence. Some ideas attack Islam.

Regardless of where you stand, there seems to be more questions than answers, and a few important questions stand out in particular.

•   In what ways is the Internet affecting Muslim societies and culture?

•   How are young internet-savvy Muslims changing the image of Islam in the West?

•   What is the future of internet freedom and censorship in Muslim-majority countries?

•   And last but not least, what is the future of Islam in the age of new media?

• Re: The Future of Islam in the Age of New Media
     Reply #1 - June 01, 2011, 11:40 AM

Just came across this, it was made yesterday: http://www.islamintheageofnewmedia.com. Has influential speakers like Reza Aslan. You'll need to enter your email to get access to the MP3.

I don't know "HOW INSIGHTFUL" it will be when each speaker has 60 seconds to speak and 60 of them speaking for an hour.. It would have been more useful if they could write couple of pages and publish it as a web book of 120 pages or so..

It is ok to get together and speak few words.. but reading their views in bit more detail is more important  than looking at them for 60 seconds..  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - June 01, 2011, 11:47 AM

Yea, just got a chance to listen to some of it and it's boring. The person who organized this is "Fundamentalist Muslim, Turned Science-Advocating Sufi".
     Reply #3 - June 01, 2011, 11:53 AM

Yea, just got a chance to listen to some of it and it's boring. The person who organized this is "Fundamentalist Muslim, Turned Science-Advocating Sufi".

Grin Grin   that is a funny wording..

but we must realize here.. either way PROGRESS IS MADE BY INTERNET..

people change and we should be glad he changed, moving out of " "Fundamentalist Muslim with Jinns, houris and graves" in brain to Science-Advocating Sufi dopi   is very +ve step

But we don't want people moving in the opposite  direction i.e Sufi-dopi to Fundamentalist" ...  I think over all the change is good.. lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzJOl2ZSE8

Reply #4 - June 01, 2011, 12:22 PM

So at that link TMP put out http://www.islamintheageofnewmedia.com/

So There are 60 people in that link list., Maajid Nawaz   is missing in that list , but that Indian   Zeba Khan IS ONE OF THEM..

Let us watch and read some of them.. they are on the tube.  So let us listen to that Indian Muslim "Zeba Khan" in these videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6PUK4wmni4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjesMMYFXB0

Reply #5 - June 01, 2011, 12:26 PM

Something big is happening. For over a thousand years, Islamic scholars have generally maintained significant control over the production, interpretation, and dissemination of Islamic texts and content to Muslim masses throughout the world.

Now, for the first time ever in human history, that is beginning to radically change. New media—Facebook, WordPress, Twitter, YouTube, and many more online tools—have made publishing and the sharing of content easy and democratized.

Do you think they have thought through the implications of it fully?

Modern communication technologies, in particular the internet, has already done, and is going to do more to destroy the death taboo against criticism, dissent, scrutiny and rejection of Islam than anything else in history.

Because of the dissemination of knowledge, the anonymity afforded by it, people can speak the truth without fear of being assaulted, threatened or killed. Mohammad, Quran, hadith, Islamic history, Islamic culture, is all up for assessment, scrutiny, ridicule, satire, and rejection. The structures that have kept Islam unquestioned for so long, are simply circumvented. This genie can never be put back on the bottle now. I don't think believing Muslims have thought the implications of this through.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - June 01, 2011, 01:03 PM

Do you think they have thought through the implications of it fully?

Because of the dissemination of knowledge, the anonymity afforded by it, people can speak the truth without fear of being assaulted, threatened or killed. Mohammad, Quran, hadith, Islamic history, Islamic culture, is all up for assessment, scrutiny, ridicule, satire, and rejection. The structures that have kept Islam unquestioned for so long, are simply circumvented. This genie can never be put back on the bottle now.

I don't think believing Muslims have thought the implications of this through.

Cheesy Cheesy  well billy you think that way., but the believing Muslims think other way., They think

"this Islamic genie in now completely out in open with internet, so by reading all that preaching  on Islam on internet,  100s  of thousands of Christians, juice.. pagans.. hindus.. buddhists.. Sikhs ..jains  .. atheists will turn in to Islam because of honey filled rivers and dove eyed big bosom houries in after life.."    lol..  

Reply #7 - June 01, 2011, 01:18 PM

well billy you think that way., but the believing Muslims think other way., They think

But they are not doing so in an environment in which they are protected, have power on their side, have the coercive structures in place in their favour. They are 'competing' against other ideas and ways of seeing life and the world that are more seductive, attractive, and ultimately, fatal to their endeavour.

Remember, they don't have the death taboo to protect them in the modern ocean of free communication and exchange. They lost the one thing that has enabled them to bully and petrify.

Now, in the real world this remains to a greater extent within closed spaces. They also try to enforce the taboos on Islam onto non Muslims. But gradually, they are failing (I am talking in the context of the UK here). And ultimately, the ideas from the free open communication ocean, will seep through into the 'hard' world.

Verily, they are screwed.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - June 01, 2011, 03:40 PM

So long as we can keep freedom of speech from being shackled.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #9 - June 01, 2011, 04:28 PM

So long as we can keep freedom of speech from being shackled.

well I tell you this., if That "FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS UNSEALED" in Islam without any one bothering Muslim guys.. It is certain 90% of them will become.. this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmYehA7row

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »