Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 06:44 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Became Ex-Muslim almost a year ago

(Read 10717 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Became Ex-Muslim almost a year ago
     OP - May 14, 2011, 11:30 PM

My whole family is non-practicing Muslims but almost a year ago I started studying about Islam and became an Ex-Muslim. Most Muslims I do know are good people but I think all the prayers, fasting, and stupid rules are unnecessary and a waste of time.

The Quran is so ambiguous that it's not worth debating over it to any Muslim. As long as they interpret it in a good way, which most Muslims do anyway, there is no harm in anyone being a Muslim.

I've been lurking on these forums for a while and am surprised at how everyone here seems to just attack Islam and discriminate against Muslims when the majority of Muslims are actually good people. It's almost as if people here have their own religion of hating Islam. Maybe that's a side effect of believing in Islam and then finding out it's not true?

Instead of reading the Quran literally, or copying/pasting verses, please go out and meet Muslims around you and you'll see that they are good people. Just because they practice some rituals does not mean that they are bad, or stupid.

• Re: Became Ex-Muslim almost a year ago
     Reply #1 - May 14, 2011, 11:37 PM

Welcome -Tmp-! bunny

Firstly I'd like to address, as you say 'am surprised at how everyone here seems to just attack Islam and discriminate against Muslims' not everybody does, but you could say a big majority. In any case, I would believe most people are bitter over how the 'reading the Quran literally, or copying/pasting verses' by their parents or family members has affected them. I myself include myself into this catergory.

I would say your very lucky for having very liberal and lax parents. Most people don't have an opportunity to speak about such a subject with strict or those who blindly follow the religion without question.

With that ado, I hope you enjoy your stay on CEMB!

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #2 - May 14, 2011, 11:58 PM

Quote from: Fomble
    Firstly I'd like to address, as you say 'am surprised at how everyone here seems to just attack Islam and discriminate against Muslims' not everybody does, but you could say a big majority. In any case, I would believe most people are bitter over how the 'reading the Quran literally, or copying/pasting verses' by their parents or family members has affected them. I myself include myself into this catergory.

Ok fair point.

Quote from: Fomble
    I would say your very lucky for having very liberal and lax parents. Most people don't have an opportunity to speak about such a subject with strict or those who blindly follow the religion without question.

With that ado, I hope you enjoy your stay on CEMB!

Thanks for the welcome! Actually my parents are really conservative type even though they are non-practicing Muslims. If I told them I don't believe in Islam they would not be happy because they'd probably think I'd go to Hell. It's kind of funny considering that they don't practice themselves. Cheesy
     Reply #3 - May 15, 2011, 12:13 AM

I've been lurking on these forums for a while and am surprised at how everyone here seems to just attack Islam and discriminate against Muslims when the majority of Muslims are actually good people. It's almost as if people here have their own religion of hating Islam. Maybe that's a side effect of believing in Islam and then finding out it's not true?

You have to understand that this is primarily a sanctuary for ex-muslims to speak freely about Islam away from familial/societal pressures, a lot of members are having problems directly because of islam/muslims, and so I think it's to be expected that they, certainly the newer members, will rant about it here. Most of us soften eventually, I know I have, but this is just about the only place where ex-muslims can converse with like-minded people and release their frustration, so I wouldn't begrudge anyone that. A clarfication of the CEMB's position:

"The Council is strongly against the advocacy and implementation of Political Islam i.e. Sharia Law and  harmful, regressive practices and beliefs in general.

It holds no discriminatory or disparaging views against individual Muslims, or Muslims as a group. It is important to keep in mind that most Ex-Muslims have family and friends who are Muslim."
     Reply #4 - May 15, 2011, 12:14 AM

Hello, btw. Here's your parrot.  parrot
     Reply #5 - May 15, 2011, 12:25 AM

Welcome Tmp. Smiley

My whole family is non-practicing Muslims but almost a year ago I started studying about Islam and became an Ex-Muslim. Most Muslims I do know are good people but I think all the prayers, fasting, and stupid rules are unnecessary and a waste of time.

The Quran is so ambiguous that it's not worth debating over it to any Muslim. As long as they interpret it in a good way, which most Muslims do anyway, there is no harm in anyone being a Muslim.

I feel that we've discussed Islam to death.

What we need to do now is start to take the steps to move on with our lives.

Instead of reading the Quran literally, or copying/pasting verses, please go out and meet Muslims around you and you'll see that they are good people. Just because they practice some rituals does not mean that they are bad, or stupid.

There's a fine line between hating Islam and hating people for being Muslims.

We have friends and family that are devoutly Muslim, of course.

And when it comes to hating Islam there's a fine line between bigotry and valid criticisms.

Most of us left Islam for ideological reasons.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #6 - May 15, 2011, 12:34 AM

Hi -TMP-, welcome to the forum.

Its good that you've expressed how you see some of the discussion here. I have to say though, that this forum is meticulous in delineating between rigorous criticism of Islam and individual hostility to Muslims. I'd say there is nowhere else on the internet where this is observed so finely.

Islam and Islamic politics are such that often those who criticise it sometimes mimic the rhetoric and prejudices of Islam, maybe because they have been staring into the abyss themselves for so long, something like that. Its a curious phenomena.

Islam has to be scrutinised. To fail to do so because of the offence some feel at that criticism would be self-censorship, and silence that betrays the conscience. That is a fate that is quite simply, bleak, and so the discussion and scrutiny must continue.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #7 - May 15, 2011, 12:37 AM

If you want to stay on this board for much longer you must deposit your digits and a photo in my inbox right now.
     Reply #8 - May 15, 2011, 12:44 AM

You have to understand that this is primarily a sanctuary for ex-muslims to speak freely about Islam away from familial/societal pressures, a lot of members are having problems directly because of islam/muslims, and so I think it's to be expected that they, certainly the newer members, will rant about it here. Most of us soften eventually, I know I have, but this is just about the only place where ex-muslims can converse with like-minded people and release their frustration, so I wouldn't begrudge anyone that. A clarfication of the CEMB's position:

"The Council is strongly against the advocacy and implementation of Political Islam i.e. Sharia Law and  harmful, regressive practices and beliefs in general.

It holds no discriminatory or disparaging views against individual Muslims, or Muslims as a group. It is important to keep in mind that most Ex-Muslims have family and friends who are Muslim."

Ok, I understand now. I did initially feel frustrated when I was studying Islam, because I had started praying 5 times a day for some years and fasting in Ramadan and then realized I had wasted my time. It didn't effect me that much because I didn't "really" believe in Allah and just fasted/prayed to fit in. Now I can't imagine how it is for someone who has been studying this for their whole life and really believed it and then found out. I'm happy that I found out now instead of later because then I would probably have wasted my time practicing unnecessary rituals and starving myself every Ramadan.
     Reply #9 - May 15, 2011, 12:45 AM

What we need to do now is start to take the steps to move on with our lives.

Hi olweasel. Yes, I think that's the most important steps for Ex-Muslims. Otherwise if they keep thinking about Islam it will just make them even more depressed.
     Reply #10 - May 15, 2011, 12:50 AM

Its good that you've expressed how you see some of the discussion here. I have to say though, that this forum is meticulous in delineating between rigorous criticism of Islam and individual hostility to Muslims. I'd say there is nowhere else on the internet where this is observed so finely.

Hi billy, you're right this is the best forum for Ex-Muslims out there. I did come across another forum called FaithFreedom, but didn't like it because a lot of people there are bigots and sensationalize things about Islam.
     Reply #11 - May 15, 2011, 12:52 AM

If you want to stay on this board for much longer you must deposit your digits and a photo in my inbox right now.

Is this a threat? I'll have you reported to the mods. Baseball bat
     Reply #12 - May 15, 2011, 01:00 AM

Islam has to be scrutinised. To fail to do so because of the offence some feel at that criticism would be self-censorship, and silence that betrays the conscience.

So beautifully put.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #13 - May 15, 2011, 01:00 AM

I did come across another forum called FaithFreedom, but didn't like it because a lot of people there are bigots

They certainly are.

Its important that criticism of Islam / Islamism is accurate and proportional, because these things matter. Not only because disproportionate and innacurate criticism lends itself easily to a kind of blindness to the issues, but also because the criticisms when innacurate are simply discounted and disproved easily, and then Islam or Islamic Identity Politics isn't scrutinised effectively and appropriately at all.

The main thing to keep in mind always, and to have a scent for, are attitudes that privelige the collective over the individual, and that then elide into assertions of collective responsibility.

What ever fine lines there are, have to be drawn with care.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #14 - May 15, 2011, 01:11 AM

Ok, I understand now. I did initially feel frustrated when I was studying Islam, because I had started praying 5 times a day for some years and fasting in Ramadan and then realized I had wasted my time. It didn't effect me that much because I didn't "really" believe in Allah and just fasted/prayed to fit in. Now I can't imagine how it is for someone who has been studying this for their whole life and really believed it and then found out. I'm happy that I found out now instead of later because then I would probably have wasted my time practicing unnecessary rituals and starving myself every Ramadan.

For most of us the problem isn't that we regret wasting time on Islam, it's that we have to pretend to be muslim to our parents/friends, some members have been disowned by their parents, been cast out by their friends, forced to wear hijab/pray etc. It gets frustrating and sometimes you just want to vent. If not here, then where?
     Reply #15 - May 15, 2011, 01:42 AM

Welcome -Tmp0

I don't know how long you've been lurking bit while many people here might hate islam not many hate muslims. We are not idiot, and we do have empathy, we all know that not all muslims follow islam exactly as it says (especially the worse parts) and that most of them are nice regular people, most of families are muslims and most of the people here love their families (despite some of the hardships they had to endure because of them).

And just a little tip, don't base your opinions of us off of DH please.  Tongue  
     Reply #16 - May 15, 2011, 06:26 PM

Welcome tmp - I agree with you Smiley  Though I disagree that "everyone here seems to just attack Islam and discriminate against Muslims." We certainly criticise Islam - but I think most of that criticism is reasonable (with the exceptions of idiots like DH who is not an ex-Muslim btw).

Do you think Islam should be immune from criticism?

As for discriminating against Muslims - most here have Muslim families like yourself and know that most Muslims are good decent people and certainly don't discriminate against them.

I think you'll find most criticise the beliefs - and not the person. (There may be exceptions of course - but on the whole.)
     Reply #17 - May 15, 2011, 06:31 PM

+1... my wife is one of the exceptions Hassan mentions

Welcome from me also mate...

Hi
     Reply #18 - May 15, 2011, 07:09 PM

Great to meet you friend, hope your time here is productive.

Wayfarer
     Reply #19 - May 15, 2011, 07:50 PM

As an ex-muslim, I have nothing against muslims nor have I criticzied them as a community, even though I disagree with their religious practices.  I am critical of some of the teachings of Islam, if not most.  I don't believe in prophets,  Koran is cannot be the word of some higher power, and the foundation of all Abrahamic  :yes:faiths are built of myths and fables  - that's it !!!
     Reply #20 - May 15, 2011, 08:10 PM

Welcome Tmp Smiley what does your nickname mean?

And like others have said, nobodys attacking muslims, its just sometimes there's frustration due to almost every aspect of our lives being affected by islam that is let out here on the forums. It's nice to know there are people out there who have/are going through similar things and to talk with.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #21 - May 15, 2011, 09:04 PM

With all due respect, you don't have to tell ex-Muslims to go out and meet Muslims around us.  We all had/have plenty of interaction with Muslims.

Nevertheless, welcome to the forum.  Smiley

Reply #22 - May 22, 2012, 02:41 PM

Hey there, handsome.  Wink Welcome to the forums, have a rabbit.  bunny

Excuse me for being so forward, but wanna  Just do it sometime?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #23 - May 22, 2012, 04:46 PM

Hey there, handsome.  Wink Welcome to the forums, have a rabbit.  bunny

Excuse me for being so forward, but wanna  Just do it sometime?

Well hello there! 

While I can't give you a  Just do it, I 'll give you a hugs asbie.  Afro
     Reply #24 - May 22, 2012, 05:13 PM

Aww, well I guess that will do...  far away hug

for now... Wink

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #25 - May 22, 2012, 10:56 PM

why resurrect the thread. Cry
     Reply #26 - May 23, 2012, 04:09 AM

Welcome to Cemb. Have a parrot  parrot
     Reply #27 - May 23, 2012, 05:44 AM

Welcoming a person who has been here for a year... Grin

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #28 - May 23, 2012, 07:05 AM

this is primarily a sanctuary for ex-muslims

Serious question: Do you mind non-ex-Muslims (like me) intruding on your Sanctuary?

Reply #29 - May 23, 2012, 07:07 AM

They don't mind me and Cheetah and Maya (as long as we don't pick our noses in public).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »