Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Where is it all going?

(Read 5314 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Where is it all going?
     OP - May 13, 2011, 01:15 PM

So I've been an ex-Muslim for about 5 years now and been blogging on various forums the whole time. I would like to ask, what is your sense of the ex-Muslim community in the UK? Is it growing? Is it static? Is it declining? Are we attracting new members? If not why not.

Take the Pakman challenge and convince me there is a God and Mo was not a murdering, power hungry sex maniac.
  • Re: Where is it all going?
     Reply #1 - May 13, 2011, 01:25 PM

-Edited-
     Reply #2 - May 13, 2011, 01:29 PM

So you think we are increasing?

Take the Pakman challenge and convince me there is a God and Mo was not a murdering, power hungry sex maniac.
     Reply #3 - May 13, 2011, 01:30 PM

We're definitely attracting a lot of new members to this forum, but whether that means there's a growing number of ex-muslims, or this forum is just getting better known, I have no idea.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #4 - May 13, 2011, 01:51 PM

I get the feeling that those on the brink or the newly disbelieving come here for affirmation, reassurance, comfort and solidarity - and then they leave once fortified and buttressed in their new found independence. It's great to see that happen.
    It's  common to seek advice and reassurance when taking what seems to be such a big step but once the balloon is burst one sees what a great big illusion had been woven around us and that tearing down the veil was all we needed to do.
    So it's difficult to tell how many because of the throughput factor. And of course, there are those who possess sufficient inner resources and have no need of this place.
    This is a valuable resource for those who are being lied to and are made prisoners of their own minds. 50 years ago here was nothing to allay the anguish of sincere and serious minded people who could see the light but were told they were insane when they dared to voice it.
    No one is an island and this place is where people can come to examine the truth without fear of death or ridicule.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #5 - May 13, 2011, 01:52 PM

I have seen more discussions about Islam even among Pakistani friends of mine in UK and US and I have a feeling about one or two of them as closet agnostic or atheists.

What sort of discussions?
     Reply #6 - May 13, 2011, 02:02 PM

I'm not sure because I do see new faces popping up on here and that is heart warming but then I go to Tower Hamlets or Small Heath and I see nothing but Black niqabs, black hijabs and black beards everywhere and a bunch of south asian dressing like they are from the Arabian desert. So either a huge polarisation is taking place or things are getting worse. I don't really care if people believe in Islam or not I just don't like seeing all these ultra devout types around. Its so ugly.

Reply #7 - May 13, 2011, 02:34 PM

-Edited-
     Reply #8 - May 13, 2011, 02:35 PM

Pakman

Its not going to be linear. There are going to be more dissenters from Islam, more critics coming from within Muslim communities, and ultimately, more apostates.

But that is going to happen as simultaneously, a deeper literal and mental ghettoisation takes place in the British Muslim community, especially in insular localities, with already conservative communities being constantly injected with ultra reactionary Deobandi / Tabligi / Jamaat-e-Islami worldviews, morality, and atmospherics, to say nothing of salafism, and overarching that, Islamic Identity Politics, the entrenchment of sharia codes, and so on and so forth.

So, I think its going both ways. The ghettoisation is happening more rapidly than the liberalising, and they both feed off each other. So those Muslims who criticise and dissent from Islam add to the fire of entrenchment and reactionary ghettoisation, and that Maududi-ist insular belligerent Identity Politics of Islam further fuels the impulse of dissent by Muslims in the context of a liberal secular society like Britain.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - May 13, 2011, 02:47 PM

Wise words as always Billy.

Reply #10 - May 13, 2011, 02:50 PM

Most of the discussions have been on social networking sites like Facebook where some of them have at least rejected the ritualistic part of Islam openly, hajj, fasting, salat etc.

Do you happen to know why they did that? These are the very pillars of Islam - why would somebody find rituals rather than teachings problematic?
     Reply #11 - May 13, 2011, 03:01 PM

Jamaat-e-Islami

I giggled a bit, then got depressed knowing that this is the major cause of radicalisation in the Bengali community in the North East of England. If you ask the majority of the Bengali adults, 80% would place their votes on Jamaat-e-Islami.

But that is going to happen as simultaneously, a deeper literal and mental ghettoisation takes place in the British Muslim community, especially in insular localities, with already conservative communities being constantly injected with ultra reactionary Deobandi / Tabligi / Jamaat-e-Islami worldviews, morality, and atmospherics, to say nothing of salafism, and overarching that, Islamic Identity Politics, the entrenchment of sharia codes, and so on and so forth.

Bloody bang on. A rising issue within the North East again. Nobody objects nor speaks out against Islam and with the communities being small but tightly close makes it even more difficult.

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #12 - May 13, 2011, 03:05 PM

The key thing is that dissenters and critics and apostates will be 'evidence' to the believers that 'Islam is in danger', and that there must be more Islam in their lives, and in society. This in turn will lead to more questioning by Muslims, because the reactionary, divisive nature of Islamic Identity Politics and the orthodoxies will become more starkly ridiculous, reactionary, oppressive, and at odds with society as a whole.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #13 - May 13, 2011, 03:06 PM

So I've been an ex-Muslim for about 5 years now and been blogging on various forums the whole time. I would like to ask, what is your sense of the ex-Muslim community in the UK? Is it growing? Is it static? Is it declining? Are we attracting new members? If not why not.

It's been almost 5 years for me too - but in the grand scheme of things that is barely a split second. I do notice a steady flow of new members here come and go and I also see the ideas we put forward are slowly gaining currency amongst Muslims on the net and in real life.

But this is something none of us will see the fruits of, as most people we make think will disappear off into their community and things will change there.
     Reply #14 - May 15, 2011, 03:28 AM

At least this is proof that there are Ex-Muslims! A lot of Muslims refuse to believe that there is such a thing. Cheesy
     Reply #15 - June 28, 2011, 08:51 AM

It's growing buddy. I've been an ex-muslim in the UK for 2years and recently joined the forum.

Islam is a victim of its own success. All the things it uses to gain followers are the things that loses its followers.

The scientific miracle claims, its culture of marriage, the so called moderate lines, it's extremist lines and its PR lies about how it's a religion of peace all just a few example of its recruiting method that are backfiring. The greater accessibility on the internet is the catalyst.

Soon I expect to more people putting there faces on youtube channels including myself. I expect to see ex-muslim marches that is notable around the world where we demand religious freedom.

There is also a very large number muslim-agnostics at the moment who I think are not far from being an ex-muslim that is also growing. These people still maintain their personal relationship with Allah but never fast, pray or go to the mosque. They support religious freedom and even think the world would be a better place without religion. They are just too lazy go further. I think most of us have friends like that. Some may never go as far as calling themselves an ex muzzy but would always support us and religious rights of ex muslims all over the world.

It will just go on and on.
     Reply #16 - July 06, 2011, 01:08 PM

I would like to add a point  (if I may Smiley

Whatever the meter is reading we must continue spreading awareness, make and support our YouTube channels, forums, blogs and networks. I speak out to people I meet whenever the situation permits to talk, I would talk about how faulty the Quran is, what danger is posed by sharia law. I feel even small installments of shock or critic to the community can ripple to some far distances over time. Knowledge with consistency will surely erode Islam.

My position remains the same. I hate, yes hate, your religion, your god/s, your koran,bible, holy text, your prophet and all that sick nonsense.. but I don't hate YOU.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »