Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Apostates - Naming your children

(Read 33385 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Apostates - Naming your children
     Reply #60 - March 08, 2013, 03:01 AM

I don't really want kids. And I don't think I'll ever want one. I really want to enjoy a childless life.
    However if by accident I get pregnant, I will MAKE sure my kid won't have an arabic/muslim name. I've always loved Candice or Charlotte for a girl. And for a boy, it would be Eryn or Elvis.

Il faut savoir grandir et aller de l'avant.
     Reply #61 - March 08, 2013, 05:35 AM

I'd think it's be better to give them some non arab/non muslim names.  

Cuz I wouldn't want other kids to keep asking my child in school are you muslim ? why not you have a muslim name?

This isn't judgement, it's a genuine question: How far would you go with that?

A boring little side story:

In a "diversity" class (inclusion for "disabled kids"), we were asked to write reasons why we don't want to include certain kids in our classroom. I wrote that they shouldn't be included because they will get teased. Of course, all the reasons ended up being debunked, but the funniest thing was the statistics that showed that teasing was one of the least likely problems that may arise.

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #62 - March 08, 2013, 05:50 AM

This isn't judgement, it's a genuine question: How far would you go with that?

A boring little side story:

In a "diversity" class (inclusion for "disabled kids"), we were asked to write reasons why we don't want to include certain kids in our classroom. I wrote that they shouldn't be included because they will get teased. Of course, all the reasons ended up being debunked, but the funniest thing was the statistics that showed that teasing was one of the least likely problems that may arise.

I agree with him on the non-arab/non-muslim name, I wouldn't want to be reminded of Islam. Being named Osama would really suck!
     Reply #63 - March 08, 2013, 12:59 PM

Its because for one reason I wouldnt want islam associated with my family. 

Ill still give them my last name cuz its persian but not muslim.  I have never even heard of a muslim outside my family who has the last name.

Plus I dont really want to discuss religion with the children ill have ib the future until their at least a teenager. why people believe in religion is a hard concept to explain to kids.

I would wanna let them live their childhood without the annoyance of religion. 

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #64 - March 15, 2013, 03:24 PM

I'd think it's be better to give them some non arab/non muslim names. 

Cuz I wouldn't want other kids to keep asking my child in school are you muslim ? why not you have a muslim name?

Obviously you should name your kids whatever you want and should not be restricted by the culture you grew up in. But I do think that specifically rejecting Arab names because of religion sends the wrong message in the long run. Doing that only perpetuates the stereotype that you are trying to break out of. I.e. if the stereotype is that all people with Arab names must be Muslim then by giving your kids “western” names you are letting the Muslims win and allowing them to define your culture. Perhaps it could be better to keep your culture and be proud of it whilst at the same time rejecting religion, that sets a better example for others that are also trying to break out of religion.
     Reply #65 - March 15, 2013, 03:38 PM

^ I like your reasoning TonyT. I think an easy-to-pronounce name (that lacks religious connotations) in your native language is a good idea.
     Reply #66 - March 15, 2013, 08:55 PM

I don't really want kids. And I don't think I'll ever want one. I really want to enjoy a childless life.
    However if by accident I get pregnant, I will MAKE sure my kid won't have an arabic/muslim name. I've always loved Candice or Charlotte for a girl. And for a boy, it would be Eryn or Elvis.

Good job, adopt judaeo-christian/western names why don't you? Agree with everyone re: preservation of culture. Do you really want a homogeneous, fatty, mcdonalds guzzling society to be the norm? Because I fucking don't, and I should be proud of my culture so long as it fosters the individual which most eastern cultures can achieve with great success if they do away with inherited blind belief.

I mean, let's take the example to its logical conclusion. You refuse to eat at a halal restaurant just because you don't want to associate with muslims. Where on earth is the humanism and secularism here?

It's all subjective and all but I wouldn't want religion to breed an irrational hatred for a culture or demographic.  Smiley
     Reply #67 - March 16, 2013, 01:28 AM

Obviously you should name your kids whatever you want and should not be restricted by the culture you grew up in. But I do think that specifically rejecting Arab names because of religion sends the wrong message in the long run. Doing that only perpetuates the stereotype that you are trying to break out of. I.e. if the stereotype is that all people with Arab names must be Muslim then by giving your kids “western” names you are letting the Muslims win and allowing them to define your culture. Perhaps it could be better to keep your culture and be proud of it whilst at the same time rejecting religion, that sets a better example for others that are also trying to break out of religion.

Well the only part of my Pakistani culture that I actually don't mind is the food. That's pretty much it.

I don't think thats enough to consider "pakistani" as part of my culture since I also like Chinese food. (that doesn't make me chinese)

I was born in a western country and lived my entire life here so the local culture here like christmas and what not was part of my experience in school at least.

So i guess the western country I reside in is the culture I identify with. Hence me giving my future children a "western" name instead of a muslim name.

Reply #68 - March 16, 2013, 01:57 AM

Good job, adopt judaeo-christian/western names why don't you? Agree with everyone re: preservation of culture. Do you really want a homogeneous, fatty, mcdonalds guzzling society to be the norm? Because I fucking don't, and I should be proud of my culture so long as it fosters the individual which most eastern cultures can achieve with great success if they do away with inherited blind belief.

I mean, let's take the example to its logical conclusion. You refuse to eat at a halal restaurant just because you don't want to associate with muslims. Where on earth is the humanism and secularism here?

It's all subjective and all but I wouldn't want religion to breed an irrational hatred for a culture or demographic.  Smiley

I don't want to sound mean but what if I really wanted to name my kids like that? What if I actually don't give a fuck about my culture? I don't actually have one to be honest. I just grew in the culture of my parents because I opened my eyes to that. My origins are from Algeria, but that doesn't make me Algerian. I don't identify myself like one.... I don't actually have a specific culture (I just live my life without any... rites, events, celebrations specific to one region). I don't like associating names with cultures nor with religions. I just give names to my kids because I like those names. Why do we have to complicate ourselves by researching deep explanation about names or for etymological reasons.

Reply #69 - March 16, 2013, 03:25 AM

Your post is complicated and you stray into geopolitical territory so I'll concede the point. Essentially, ideally I agree with you but there are issues of semantics that I don't wish to delve into here.

And no, why would you be mean. It would seem that people haven't realised that my posts are not to be taken literally; I endeavour to entertain the fantasy that I'm a provocateur of some sorts. Roll Eyes
     Reply #70 - March 16, 2013, 05:44 AM

I think I've said it before on this thread but I really like the names Helena (Grecian) and Mina (Persian IIRC) and that's probably what I'd name my daughter/s because I think those are nice names and I like the way they sound; they're also free of religious connotations. I don't care that they aren't culturally relevant to me in any way. Similarly, I wouldn't hesitate to name my child a Somali/Arabic name if I came across one that sounded nice to me, and didn't have any religious connotations. 

I don't really identify strongly with any one culture/group considering I'm a bit of a mixed bag and I'm sure a lot of us who were raised in the West don't identify with our parents' culture (we're technically "Westerners" too) but I can understand those who do and wish to preserve their culture through their children's' names. It's just that religion and culture are so entwined in some communities that it can be difficult to keep one whilst abandoning the other, which is why I think TonyT had a point. 

Reply #71 - March 16, 2013, 06:46 AM

I agree with people who want to name kids based on what they like. I would never go out of my way to name a kid "Mohammed" just to raise an atheist Mo Cheesy Nor go out of my way to avoid any Arabic name I like, because it's Arabic.
    If you go out of your way to avoid association with an entire group though, it is a bit weird. Makes me wonder how far a person would go. Aiming to marry outside your race maybe (for the sake of avoiding)? Lying to kids about background? Who is the audience? It's really just a question.
    I say that because no matter what my name is, I am obviously not a descendant of white convicts (Tongue) so I get asked about my background at some point in the conversation. Only met a handful of people tat make my background the entire subject, and the friendship rarely continues in those cases.

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #72 - March 16, 2013, 07:44 AM

I noticed I used to get asked about my background a lot in high school. Being "ethnic", hijabed and REALLY quiet probably had something to do with it. 

I find that I don't get asked as much now. I talk more and don't wear a hijab so people aren't wondering whether I can speak English Cheesy I don't know why the hijab automatically has you labelled as "foreign" to so many people wacko I don't mean foreign as in second generation I mean "she probably doesn't speak English" FOB foreign. I've noticed the difference sans hijab. 

I don't mind being asked about my origins at all. It can be quite funny to see/hear people's reactions and the stereotypes. I've had a "Do you know any pirates?" "Are you related to a pirate?", somebody mentioned models, terrorists pop up occasionally Cheesy But yeah, as long as its not made the entire subject it's cool. 
     Reply #73 - March 16, 2013, 12:36 PM

My name is full on Arabic and long as hell, so I always get the "so where are you originally from?" It's funny because even when I say the US, people just continue on like I said some foreign country "Oh well Immet a guy from Uzbekistan once, he was a really nice fella"
     Reply #74 - March 16, 2013, 03:58 PM

I agree with people who want to name kids based on what they like. I would never go out of my way to name a kid "Mohammed" just to raise an atheist Mo Cheesy Nor go out of my way to avoid any Arabic name I like, because it's Arabic.
    If you go out of your way to avoid association with an entire group though, it is a bit weird. Makes me wonder how far a person would go. Aiming to marry outside your race maybe (for the sake of avoiding)? Lying to kids about background? Who is the audience? It's really just a question.
    I say that because no matter what my name is, I am obviously not a descendant of white convicts (Tongue) so I get asked about my background at some point in the conversation. Only met a handful of people tat make my background the entire subject, and the friendship rarely continues in those cases.

I'm not trying to avoid my race or anything like that.

It's just the association with the religion of Islam that I would not want to put on my future children.

Plus Islam is not associated with any race.

It's bigotry is promoted by people of all races.

Reply #75 - March 16, 2013, 04:23 PM

Your post is complicated and you stray into geopolitical territory so I'll concede the point. Essentially, ideally I agree with you but there are issues of semantics that I don't wish to delve into here.

And no, why would you be mean. It would seem that people haven't realised that my posts are not to be taken literally; I endeavour to entertain the fantasy that I'm a provocateur of some sorts. Roll Eyes

In how my post is complicated? XD
    I just said I don't choose names for origins, or cultures, but simply because I like how the name sounds to my ears. It's very subjective and simple.

I understand your point at preserving cultures and stuff, but like I said, I don't belong to any. I just replied to you that some people want to keep their cultures with them even though they aren't religious, but you also have to understand that some people do not desire to keep any relationship between cultures and religions when they choose names. I think people are too sneaky and curious for no reasons when they ask questions about my own name.  " Where do you come from? "  " Canada" " No, but I mean...where do you essentially come from? " " Canada, but my parents origins are from Algeria. " It's annoying as fuck...because we could go on and on and I could say oh my grandgrandgrandma is French and this grandfather is blablabla. But that doesn't mean, just because we're from the same family, that we have the same cultures. Tongue

So huum...sorry I got carried away, but all what I wanted to say is that you also have to respect that some people don't care about their own cultures, their parents cultures and they do not wish to perpetuate those origins on names or on anything other things to their kids. It's a choice just like some people want to do so.

Reply #76 - March 16, 2013, 05:20 PM

I've always loved the name Widad for a girl, I read it meant 'love' in arabic so that's not a religious meaning. Then there's this danish name: Maiken, I have no idea what it means but it sounds so cute. Also these japanese names: Ami, Sumi, Mai and Shoko.. But that's not gonna happen :( One of the few somali names I like are Aiyanna (Flower) and Waris (Desert flower) As for boys... I have no idea.
     Reply #77 - March 16, 2013, 05:41 PM

What about Bob?
     Reply #78 - March 17, 2013, 04:56 AM

I am gonna make my children's life miserable by giving them such names as Muhammad Krishna or AbdulZeus. If I have a favorite son, I will call him Rabbullah (meaning 'Master of Allah')

...Alright, I won't be doing any of that!
     Reply #79 - March 17, 2013, 07:59 AM

AbdulZeus Cheesy

Reply #80 - April 05, 2013, 03:32 AM

Can't believe people are forced to marry and have kids under Islam -since it's a requirement of all men and women. What horrible thing to put pressure for someone to have children, no matter whether they have maternal/paternal instincts.

Wonder if there were many muslims who chose not to marry and have kids, yet remain a muslim...

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #81 - April 05, 2013, 04:30 AM

I am gonna make my children's life miserable by giving them such names as Muhammad Krishna or AbdulZeus. If I have a favorite son, I will call him Rabbullah (meaning 'Master of Allah')

...Alright, I won't be doing any of that!

You evil genius. ROFL @ Rabbullah Cheesy
    I'm tempted to name my kid AbdulOptimusPrime or RaheemulRahman now.

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #82 - April 05, 2013, 05:59 AM

Can't believe people are forced to marry and have kids under Islam -since it's a requirement of all men and women. What horrible thing to put pressure for someone to have children, no matter whether they have maternal/paternal instincts.

Wonder if there were many muslims who chose not to marry and have kids, yet remain a muslim...

There's a lot of pressure to marry and have children but it's not compulsory; you won't get any sins for not marrying/procreating. 

Reply #83 - May 23, 2013, 12:15 AM

Despite it having Hebrew origins and my parents would most likely spank me -- I've always liked the name Malichi (Pronounced Maliky) which means my angel or messenger.
     Reply #84 - May 23, 2013, 01:36 AM

Japanese names are nice. Yukiko = Snow Child, and so on. Secular as they come.
     Reply #85 - May 24, 2013, 08:04 PM

So the chap I have in my profile pic at the moment was called Dhamar Ali Yahbur II, a King of Yemen during the pre-Islamic Era. I thought it was interesting that his middle name was "Ali". Just goes to show that all those Arabic names like Ali, Umar, etc. are actually Pagan, not Muslim, seeing as all those guys were originally Pagans. I also thought it was a very impressive piece of art, just goes to show how advanced and wealthy the ancient Arabs were in the so-called "Age of Ignorance".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dhamar_Ali_Yahbur_II.jpg
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »