Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Test your political affiliation

(Read 31819 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Test your political affiliation
     Reply #30 - May 09, 2011, 05:23 PM

You are an anarcho-capitalist. 0 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 8 percent are more extremist than you.

cool2

Against the ruin of the world, there
    is only one defense: the creative act.

-- Kenneth Rexroth
     Reply #31 - May 09, 2011, 05:27 PM

i took the shot test idk how they could base all that.. i feel like i got cheated this is not me lol

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #32 - May 09, 2011, 06:30 PM

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat . 14 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 26 percent are more extremist than you.

Reply #33 - May 09, 2011, 06:59 PM

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #34 - May 09, 2011, 07:57 PM

Yep ... pretty left ... it's all good though  Smiley

what do you mean by 'liberalism from its conservatism'? liberalism in what sense? and conservatism in what sense?

and how does it follow that one needs to be centrist of centre-right, or even has to have an allignment to 'right' politics(har har) to 'defeat' islam?

So, to clarify:
    - In order to leave Islam, I think one needs to be liberal. Liberal enough to ask as a woman, "Why do I have to wear a scarf/burka or dress so conservatively?" or, "Why cannot I not eat bacon or drink alcohol when many good people out there do the same?". So this is what I mean, liberalism is needed to escape the conservatism of Islam.
    - Now, once leaving Islam, to be highly critical on the socio/economic/religious doctrine I think requires not just liberalism (to see the bigger picture), but more idealism, barriers, restrictions and generally being able to say "no" to Islam which brings people back to the centre, or move slightely right-of-centre. Being consistently on the left is where I think fails (liberalism can't defend itself, e.g. "Oh but women choooose so badly to wear a burka!"). I understand the irony that  idealism, barriers, restrictions are almost the same characteristics of an illiberal Islamic mindset, but there is a key difference: theocratic justification (ban pork because it is written in the Quran) compared to pragmatic/consequential justification (ban Sharia Law for the equality it brings to Muslims with respect to the general non-Islamic population).

Btw, I'm not writing the above as facts - merely my my own personal observations.
     Reply #35 - May 10, 2011, 08:11 AM

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 14 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 34 percent are more extremist than you

Did the long test and didn't know how to answer some of the questions so I remained neutral. Also, some of the questions need further pondering before I feel comfortable answering them.
     Reply #36 - May 10, 2011, 08:37 AM

Yep ... pretty left ... it's all good though  Smiley

So, to clarify:
    - In order to leave Islam, I think one needs to be liberal. Liberal enough to ask as a woman, "Why do I have to wear a scarf/burka or dress so conservatively?" or, "Why cannot I not eat bacon or drink alcohol when many good people out there do the same?". So this is what I mean, liberalism is needed to escape the conservatism of Islam.

in this sense of the term, i'd agree with you to an extent. so i suppose i have no qualms with you there.

- Now, once leaving Islam, to be highly critical on the socio/economic/religious doctrine I think requires not just liberalism (to see the bigger picture), but more idealism, barriers, restrictions and generally being able to say "no" to Islam which brings people back to the centre, or move slightely right-of-centre. Being consistently on the left is where I think fails (liberalism can't defend itself, e.g. "Oh but women choooose so badly to wear a burka!"). I understand the irony that  idealism, barriers, restrictions are almost the same characteristics of an illiberal Islamic mindset, but there is a key difference: theocratic justification (ban pork because it is written in the Quran) compared to pragmatic/consequential justification (ban Sharia Law for the equality it brings to Muslims with respect to the general non-Islamic population).

Btw, I'm not writing the above as facts - merely my my own personal observations.

i think you're misrepresenting a lot of things here. first off, there's no inherent link between a pragmatic and a consequential justification, but i suppose this is a pedantic point as i think you're saying your justifications for your 'idealism' are both pragmatic(ahaha what the fuck this makes no sense) and are derived from a consequential morality of some sort.

i would agree that some sort of barriers and restrictions to the treatment of islam are required to 'defeat' it, but these barriers and restrictions i speak of aren't exclusively limited to islam - i would generalize this principle to state that these barriers(such as not letting religious schools be state-funded) must exist for ALL religions and their manifestations in public. now yes, islam is a different religion but i don't think it should, in the core principles be treated differently to other religions, as it most certainly has the same base characteristics of the other abrahamic religons, and a similar manner of imposing morality on its followers to a broader spectrum of religions(though i'm not sure to the extent that this is true as i'm pretty ignorant of religions outside of the abrahamic spectrum).

though i'm surprised you conflate being on the 'left' with a tendency to appease other religions. you don't need to be centrist or right-of-centre to realise that the appeasement of religion(and specifically islam) within the 'west'(i fuckin hate this term but it seems relevant) is bullshit and is the reason that muslims believe they must be specially treated(yes generalization, but what i mean is that their religion is treated differently in the sense that we, in the 'west' don't generally viscerally criticize it in our media in the same way we say, say that the story of lot in the bible is completely vile and lot's 'gift' of his virgin daughters was a terrible thing - imagine saying this about anything to do with muhammad).

now hear me out: i'm not saying you NEED to be left either to efficiently combat islam - but i do think that on the other hand, you don't NEED to be centrist or centre-right to do so either. i think that however, one NEEDS to be consistent in their treatment of islam as with other religions, as it's linked to other religions by being defined as a religion at the very least, and singling out islam as a particularly 'dangerous' ideology(in the sense of national security and 'community cohesion) because of terrorism and the tendency of its followers to be conservative with respect to their ideals is sorta like picking out christianity as a particularly 'dangerous' ideology(in the sense of scientific progress) because, quoth the dawkins, that 45% of americans in the US believe that the earth is 6000 years old(idk how accurate that stat is, i just heard it in an episode of the big questions, but you see my point).

however, i will note that the 'left' doesn't really exist within the UK, or even the US anymore. the 'left' is composed of those who wish to appease islam and the cultural values of say, pakistan by virtue of the fact they are 'different' to western ideals and cultural values, which i find to be absurd. i won't appease ideals like honour killing(which admittedly has fuck all to do with islam), forcing children to wear hijabs, forcing apostates to return back to islam and the refusal to accept criticism of islam as even existent beyond the word of 'filthy infidels wishing to destroy the islamic ummah'. i will oppose them. however, i'd like to make it clear that the manner in which i oppose them does not include not allowing them to present these ideals before the 'west'. it doesn't include outlawing these ideals from any academic discussion, nor does it include the marginalization of those who identify as muslim but might not believe that shit, or those who do but are willing to argue their case. it includes not allowing their ideals to conflict with the basic human rights of other individuals.

anyway this post is pretty unorganized and i think i've been slightly vague so please pick holes in this.
     Reply #37 - May 10, 2011, 04:37 PM

You are a Social Democrat

Cosmopolitan: 44%
    Secular: 52%

What, only 52% because I think RE should be taught in schools? Fuckin' 'ell.
    Visionary: 61%

How is visionary a political stance?
    Anarchistic: 46%
    Communistic: 61%
    Pacifist: 35%

LIES. I mean I like a fight once in a while but starting a war...? Hmm. Maybe, actually.
    Ecological: 22%

This is true. I'm unashamedly anthropocentric.
     Reply #38 - May 10, 2011, 04:40 PM

This is true. I'm unashamedly anthropocentric.

Not that I think it's a bad thing... grin12

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #39 - May 11, 2011, 07:28 PM

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat . 14 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 31 percent are more extremist than you.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #40 - May 11, 2011, 07:41 PM

You are a social democratic Cosmopolitan. 17 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 48 percent are more extremist than you.
     Reply #41 - May 11, 2011, 07:44 PM

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 13 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 55 percent are more extremist than you.

Reply #42 - May 11, 2011, 08:01 PM

You are a social democratic Cosmopolitan. 17 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 29 percent are more extremist than you.

Reply #43 - May 11, 2011, 08:01 PM

You are a Liberal. 4 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 9 percent are more extremist than you.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #44 - May 11, 2011, 08:31 PM

i think that however, one NEEDS to be consistent in their treatment of islam as with other religions, as it's linked to other religions by being defined as a religion at the very least, and singling out islam as a particularly 'dangerous' ideology(in the sense of national security and 'community cohesion) because of terrorism and the tendency of its followers to be conservative with respect to their ideals is sorta like picking out christianity as a particularly 'dangerous' ideology(in the sense of scientific progress) because, quoth the dawkins, that 45% of americans in the US believe that the earth is 6000 years old(idk how accurate that stat is, i just heard it in an episode of the big questions, but you see my point).

- I think Islam has evolved to be a religion than unlike it's cousins, it has developed a resistance to progress that goes beyond a threshold for it to be tolerated in advance nations (and I think people are learning that more and more - Muslims themselves).
    - I think the impact of Christianity today in the West compared to Islam on areas such as  human advancement, social cohesion, national security; prove there Christianity is far from the negativity Islam causes.

ps: these are opinions, not facts ...
     Reply #45 - May 11, 2011, 09:22 PM

You are a social democratic Cosmopolitan. 17 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 86 percent are more extremist than you.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #46 - May 11, 2011, 10:13 PM

Yet another cosmopolitan Social Democrat...

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 14 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 52 percent are more extremist than you.

Reply #47 - May 11, 2011, 10:43 PM

The questions were a littl ambiguous it depended on the situation etc really, also i needed more knowledge on certain things to make a fair stance.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #48 - May 11, 2011, 10:44 PM

What is the difference between a cosmopolitan Social Democrat and a social democratic Cosmopolitan? 

Thinking hard
     Reply #49 - May 11, 2011, 10:49 PM

I think it's in order of which is most strongest in you.

Reply #50 - May 12, 2011, 11:21 AM

- I think Islam has evolved to be a religion than unlike it's cousins, it has developed a resistance to progress that goes beyond a threshold for it to be tolerated in advance nations (and I think people are learning that more and more - Muslims themselves).

i disagree, if anything its resistance to progress is a result of the fact such 'progress' has attempted to be forced into their countries. what i mean here is that the rhetoric that comes with the invasions of say, iraq and afghanistan is one that refers to imposing democracy and 'freedom' regardless of the wishes of the people. i think that's an inherent contradiction - democracy cannot come except by the wishes of the majority, as that's the core principle that democracy relies on. thus, as a result, the progress we speak of is seen as a product of western imperialism rather than something that might help their societies. the recent history of the islamic world is very different because of these very facts.

now whether it can be 'tolerated' in 'advanced' nations is sorta a different issue. i refer you to one of the parts of the post i made in response to yours, as i addressed this:
    however, i will note that the 'left' doesn't really exist within the UK, or even the US anymore. the 'left' is composed of those who wish to appease islam and the cultural values of say, pakistan by virtue of the fact they are 'different' to western ideals and cultural values, which i find to be absurd. i won't appease ideals like honour killing(which admittedly has fuck all to do with islam), forcing children to wear hijabs, forcing apostates to return back to islam and the refusal to accept criticism of islam as even existent beyond the word of 'filthy infidels wishing to destroy the islamic ummah'. i will oppose them. however, i'd like to make it clear that the manner in which i oppose them does not include not allowing them to present these ideals before the 'west'. it doesn't include outlawing these ideals from any academic discussion, nor does it include the marginalization of those who identify as muslim but might not believe that shit, or those who do but are willing to argue their case. it includes not allowing their ideals to conflict with the basic human rights of other individuals.

- I think the impact of Christianity today in the West compared to Islam on areas such as  human advancement, social cohesion, national security; prove there Christianity is far from the negativity Islam causes.

ps: these are opinions, not facts ...

lolwat. it wasn't inherently christianity that helped the 'west'(europe specifically) evolve from a aristocratic construct with a literalistic theological backdrop from a set of secular democracies - it was the very re-interpretation of the importance of this theological backdrop. the idea that christianity itself was a catalyst to this(bar being the subject of the reformation and arguably the enlightenment) i would say is very very wrong.

but this is mostly irrelevant: i've already addressed this but i'd like if you tell me why this neccesitates a right-of-centre or centrist view - i've explained why the combating of islam isn't necessarily a 'right-wing' concept and you haven't responded to that.

n.b: sure they're opinions. fuck all in politics isn't opinion - that doesn't mean i can't criticize it.
     Reply #51 - May 12, 2011, 02:05 PM

... within the 'west'(i fuckin hate this term but it seems relevant) ...

+1
    I hate it too for the same reason that I hate constructs such as 'my/their community' or 'my/their people' etc.  Such terms imply uniformity of values, opinions etc. that simply do not and should not exist and are hence sectarian and divisive.

i disagree, if anything its resistance to progress is a result of the fact such 'progress' has attempted to be forced into their countries.

Don't you feel that such assessment is a bit too simplistic? This 'resistance to progress' is nothing new when it comes to mainstream Islam and can be traced all the way back to Al Ghazali.  
    It seems that Muslims allowed parochialism and traditionalism to run amok within societies that are based on Islam by shunning constructive criticism.

I think the impact of Christianity today in the West compared to Islam on areas such as  human advancement, social cohesion, national security; prove there Christianity is far from the negativity Islam causes.

You mean like in US where politics is ripe with religious bigots?
    In Europe Christianity has been completely defanged; Vatican has almost no leverage when it comes to policy making. This did not happen because of Christianity but rather inspide of it. Secularism only came after centuries of struggle against religious authority.
     Reply #52 - May 12, 2011, 02:27 PM

You are a bourgeois patriot. 4 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 75 percent are more extremist than you.

Reply #53 - May 12, 2011, 04:33 PM

j
     Reply #54 - May 12, 2011, 05:21 PM

Hold your horses MAB. Where exactly did I assert that theocracies flourish because of Islam and that Islam specifically is to be blamed for everything bad that permeates societies that are 'Islamic'?

Imo a certain interpretation of Islam became predominant because the gates of ijtihad were closed and because institution of taqlid became widespread.
    But surely you are not going to claim that impregnating every pore of society with religion and all of its truth claims and limitations is good when it comes to progress?

Furthermore I am perfectly aware what colonialism did to 'Muslim' countries but the decline of Muslim civilization is something that started long before those countries were colonised by Europeans or is that something you would disagree with?

Do you disagree with my assertion that constructive criticism (including criticism of Allah, Moe, Islamic cultural mores etc.) is not exactly something that most Muslims find appealing to say the least?

Reply #55 - May 12, 2011, 05:47 PM

w
     Reply #56 - May 12, 2011, 06:25 PM

Who abolished democracy in Iran - Islam or Uncle Sam?

Short sighted geopolitical interest of the US administration that was in charge at the time when it happened did.

However to say that "Ill fares the land where Uncle Sam goes." is something I again find a bit too simplistic. Undoubtedly your assertion can be backed up by hard facts in lot of cases. But to say that US influence is uniformly caustic is too one dimensional.
    Ask the Germans. Or Japanese.
    Even though in the case of the latter I do agree that American puritanism fucked up Japanese porn completely. Damn censorship.

But that does not answer the spirit of your question. What you mean by that is do I think Islam is the stumbling block in Absurdistan. No. Because the art of criticism, destructive or otherwise, can only flourish in a democratic setting. Abolish the democratic structure in which it grows and there is no progress.

Again I do understand the issues with colonialism. However the decline of Islam is something that started long before that and is something that was not a result of outside interference.
     Reply #57 - May 12, 2011, 06:59 PM

w
     Reply #58 - May 12, 2011, 07:33 PM

... Japs had been trying to surrender for months with the single caveat that the holy emperor go unmolested ...

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of a few good quality sources for the said assertion? I have seen this argument before elsewhere but it was never substantiated with any hard facts.

Mind you we are talking unconditional surrender here (the same unconditional surrender Nazi Germany offered in May of the same year) with the single exception you mentioned above.
     Reply #59 - May 12, 2011, 07:45 PM

q
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »