Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Another atheist from Turkey

(Read 4426 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Another atheist from Turkey
     OP - April 03, 2011, 08:52 PM

Hello dear ex-muslims. I'm proud to be with you. You are very brave for doing this. Here is my story:

I was raised in a secular family. I didn't get a decent islamic education till 4 th grade. I was poisoned that year and I gradually become a fundamentalist muslim. I was doing all my religious duty. Don't have sex, don't drink alcohol, pray 5 times a day, not shaking hands with gilrs, not looking at a girl more than one second... Then I joined a fundamentalist religious group called "Nur". I was pumped with hate and discrimination. I deny my mother and father for not praying, make them cry a lot. I did a lot of bad things. And I decided to change my life completely. I educated myself with criticism of Islam. I educated myself with DNA theories of evolution. This was the tipping point. Then I found Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, George Carlin and many others. I found their arguments are so satisfying and found out that Islam is not really a need for me to become a good person. And I gradually become an atheist. And found out you! I love you guys! I will want only one thing from you. Let's use our real names. I care to use my real name in internet, I know it's very dangerous but we can't win the fight with masks. We need to use our real identities to convince more people. I think that will help more muslim people to develop emphaty. Also we should be more polite, we should be persons that even muslims show their children us for a good example. If I get killed, I won't be sorry for this because my thoughts are more valuable than my life. Take care.
  • Re: Another atheist from Turkey
     Reply #1 - April 03, 2011, 08:59 PM

Welcome Yalcin and nice to read your background!

Mate, give me a year (or three :/ ) and I'll put my real name and picture. I did have the picture on but when I heard this website was going to be on the BBC I had to change it, more because of family shame bla bla while I still live under my parent's roof.

I think you are right though, this war (of winning over Muslims to be comfortable with apostates or become ex-Muslims themselves) will be better won without masks.
     Reply #2 - April 03, 2011, 09:02 PM

Hi and welcome Smiley

HO this site on BBC? Details please?
     Reply #3 - April 03, 2011, 09:12 PM

I educated myself with DNA theories of evolution. This was the tipping point.

evolution is way overrated... what would it take men to understand that if we eat, drink, yawn, sleep, urinate, defecate, fart, sweat, copulate, and stink like the rest of animals, then we are ourselves animals too, except we're bi-pedal, talkative, and superemly intelligent (compared to the rest of the animal kingdom).

welcome, by the way.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #4 - April 03, 2011, 09:55 PM

hen I joined a fundamentalist religious group called "Nur".

Hosgeldin canim dinkardesim, sefalar getirdin.

You know, when I read "fund. rel. group" I was expecting something like Hizbuttahrir, Nakshbandi, or anything aspiring for a shariah state and having a more cult-like structure. But you said "Nur". Well, still depends on what branch of nur you were in, the FG movement I guess?
    I don't understand how the FG movement can be labelled as "fundamentalist",- from what I've seen they don't have ideas to bring sharia, they don't have problems with secularism(although, they do despise ataturk for having mingled too much in religious affairs..)
    Anyway,- I never quite understood why people seem to focus that much on evolution: Sure, many muslims don't have a problem with "I created the wurld in 6 days, LOL" part of the quran. Just a matter of literalism vs. metapohorical read.
    The real and the simplest problem in islam is just the lack of evidence, punishment of hell, tons of other illogical things etc.
    Glad to see more freethinkers from my real country!(Not living there though (never have lived there), but I do plan emigrating to turkey some day..)

I shouldn't be here. Really. Shaytan SWT deluded ALL of us. Amen.
     Reply #5 - April 03, 2011, 10:12 PM

Hello dear ex-muslims. I'm proud to be with you. You are very brave for doing this. Here is my story:

I was raised in a secular family. I didn't get a decent islamic education till 4 th grade. I was poisoned that year and I gradually become a fundamentalist muslim.  I was doing all my religious duty. Don't have sex, don't drink alcohol, pray 5 times a day, .. Then I joined a fundamentalist religious group called "Nur". I was pumped with hate and discrimination.

that  is an interesting similarity between you and those who converted from other religions on to one of 100s of Islamic groups around the globe  Yalcin, Welcome to CEMB
    I deny my mother and father for not praying, make them cry a lot. I did a lot of bad things.

you must have felt bad for that, didn't you??  or did you take solace in one of those verse of Quran?
    And I decided to change my life completely. I educated myself with criticism of Islam. I educated myself with DNA theories of evolution. This was the tipping point. Then I found Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, George Carlin and many others.

this is  a good one to watch, specially the last part..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vueDC69jRjE

Let's use our real names. I care to use my real name in internet, I know it's very dangerous but we can't win the fight with masks. We need to use our real identities to convince more people.

you do have a point there Yalcin., but the problem is, it is not only you who may get hurt but those who love you and depend  on you.  And that is NOT acceptable to many Ex-Ms.
    I think that will help more muslim people to develop emphaty. Also we should be more polite, we should be persons that even muslims show their children us for a good example.

That I agree with 100% 
    If I get killed, I won't be sorry for this because my thoughts are more valuable than my life. Take care.

why do you say that?? Are you writing from Turkey?? I am under the impression that Muslims of Turkey are far more educated and far more liberal than any country that has large Muslim Population.

Any ways .. welcome again and I would appreciate any links on that "religious group called "Nur". from Turkey..

with best regards
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - April 03, 2011, 10:20 PM

Welcome Yalcin
     Reply #7 - April 03, 2011, 10:35 PM

Welcome to the forum, Yalcin. victory

Good to have you here.

Regarding your suggestion that we should be more open showing our real names and faces, I see your point.  However, for most people on this forum it is not really an option because they risk alienating their family/relatives/community.  Some people are fairly open (like Hassan, IsLame, Maryam Namazie etc) and that helps make us less of a shadowy group.  I think people have to really make this decision for themselves.   Although there are advantages of being more open, I also think when a blogger or YouTuber is anonymous it gives them more power to criticise Islam without worrying about death threats.

Your other suggestion that we should be more polite is also well taken.  I think we at the CEMB are mostly very polite towards Muslims (except the fanatics).  There is another apostate forum where the apostates (+many Christians etc) are very bigoted towards Muslims and couldn't care less about intellectual honesty when they criticise Islam.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #8 - April 03, 2011, 11:23 PM

Your other suggestion that we should be more polite is also well taken.  I think we at the CEMB are mostly very polite towards Muslims (except the fanatics).  There is another apostate forum where the apostates (+many Christians etc) are very bigoted towards Muslims and couldn't care less about intellectual honesty when they criticise Islam.

In that forum, there are very few apostates (no more than 3 regulars). The difference between this forum and that forum, is that you hate islam, but not Muslims (well, only the idiotic ones). Over at that forum,  they just need Islam to justify their hatred of Muslims. It's Muslims whom they target with their hatred, Islam is only the tool to deliver their poison.

anyway, you just gave me an idea i'll discuss after i win POTM.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #9 - April 03, 2011, 11:26 PM

@ yacin

since you're new here, allow me to give you this advice: clear away from yeezevee. for the health of your nerves, just ignore any post he makes (don't read his post, just skip them entirely).

Reply #10 - April 03, 2011, 11:51 PM

Welcome Yalcin Smiley
     Reply #11 - April 04, 2011, 12:07 AM

Welcome.

I just want to reiterate what others have said, not everyone wants to use their real name, for many different reasons some of us want to remain anonymous, or need time to stand up and be that exposed.

Doesn't make the argument less valid, facts are facts. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #12 - April 04, 2011, 03:48 AM

Welcome Yalcin
     Reply #13 - April 04, 2011, 09:02 AM

Welcome.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #14 - April 04, 2011, 09:12 AM

Welcome Smiley

<mchawking>: there's a 9 inch one coming out next month and I wish I had money
     Reply #15 - April 04, 2011, 04:18 PM

Mate, give me a year (or three :/ ) and I'll put my real name and picture.

I'm waiting for your news.  Wink

evolution is way overrated.

Don't despise evolution. It contradicts with all religions starting with Adam and Eve.

I don't understand how the FG movement can be labelled as "fundamentalist",- from what I've seen they don't have ideas to bring sharia, they don't have problems with secularism

You gotta live here and join them to understand them completely. All religious movements in islam want sharia laws to be valid in the system. They don't look they are wanting but when the right time comes believe me they will want.

you must have felt bad for that, didn't you??  or did you take solace in one of those verse of Quran?

why do you say that?? Are you writing from Turkey?? I am under the impression that Muslims of Turkey are far more educated and far more liberal than any country that has large Muslim Population.

Any ways .. welcome again and I would appreciate any links on that "religious group called "Nur". from Turkey..

actually i took solace mostly from secure hadiths about "good muslim and bad parents" parts.

dude, you definetely gotta see Turkey now. Everything is going worse and worse everyday. I fear that we are gonna be just like as Iran in 10 to 15 years.

Sory there are a lot of Documents in Turkish but I don't have English documents. You can google "Risale i Nur" for their main book.

I just want to reiterate what others have said, not everyone wants to use their real name, for many different reasons some of us want to remain anonymous, or need time to stand up and be that exposed.

Doesn't make the argument less valid, facts are facts. 

Thanks for your comment but we have to start some day. Today or tomorrow. I will try my chance today.

And other CEMB folks that welcome me, I love you guys. Take care.
     Reply #16 - April 04, 2011, 05:53 PM

actually i took solace mostly from secure hadiths about "good muslim and bad parents" parts.

dude, you definetely gotta see Turkey now. Everything is going worse and worse everyday. I fear that we are gonna be just like as Iran in 10 to 15 years.

Sory there are a lot of Documents in Turkish but I don't have English documents. You can google "Risale i Nur" for their main book.

huh! that guy and that book., I am not going to read his 1600 pages book Yalcin Can., But I thought he was great sufi of 19th century..

http://www.nursistudies.com/mod.php?lng=&ctgid=who-is-bediuzzaman-said-nursi

Turkey is indeed a great country produced lot of intelligent turkeys who can not differentiate between the happinessof this life and life after this life..  Anyways So who is the most popular Islamic turkey now??  

The dead Bediuzzaman Said Nursi??  or the present Sufi saint  Fethullah Gulen ??  or that Mehadi turkey Adana Oktar ?

And who will be the best Turkish leader after this  Tayyip Erdoğan that can herald new Islamic revolution from turkey to make new "TURKISH ISLAMIC UNION" with a Caliph centered in Turkey   dear Yalcin Can??

I read few sections from this large PDf file..

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2008/RAND_MG726.pdf

I am not sure how accurate is this but it does project the same thing what you said in few words..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #17 - April 26, 2011, 03:17 PM

Welcome to the forum. Here is your parrot  parrot
    I want to ask you, what is your favorite book by the authors you mentioned? And which was the first turning point that made you decide "I ain't buying this bullshit anymore!"?

Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent.
     Reply #18 - May 04, 2011, 12:22 AM

oh it's another turkish person. and an atheist.  dance

kanka gel bana yardim et beraber youtube videolari hazirlayalim.

i looked for god in the universe, but i didn't find him. instead i found an indifferent universe.

i can't believe islam is still around.
     Reply #19 - May 04, 2011, 08:40 AM

Hi, and welcome!

I suppose you are familiar with Turan Dursun? I really admire him.  Smiley
    http://www.turandursun.com/
    http://www.turandursun.net/

Bukhari 62:142 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:
       The Prophet used to pass by (have sexual relation with) all his wives in one night, and at that time he had nine wives.
     Reply #20 - May 04, 2011, 02:40 PM

Welcome to CEMB.  parrot

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #21 - May 04, 2011, 08:51 PM

In that forum, there are very few apostates (no more than 3 regulars). The difference between this forum and that forum, is that you hate islam, but not Muslims (well, only the idiotic ones). Over at that forum,  they just need Islam to justify their hatred of Muslims. It's Muslims whom they target with their hatred, Islam is only the tool to deliver their poison.

anyway, you just gave me an idea i'll discuss after i win POTM.

whistling2 whistling2

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - May 04, 2011, 09:04 PM

He's busy eating mate. Like yezeevee said, he's grown too fat to post now. Hell, he's probably eaten the trophy by now.

Seems he's also taken his best mate Alex with him. Shame.

Hi
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »