Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New smartphone theme (Omega Mobile RC)

(Read 12174 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New smartphone theme (Omega Mobile RC)
     OP - April 29, 2011, 11:38 PM

Ok groovers, the thing is loaded and seems to work, as far as I can tell at the moment. Afro

Feedback and suggestions are welcome but please read the following first. yes

The old smartphone theme is no longer linked from the theme changer, but it is still installed on our server. If you wish to use it, you can still access it via your profile.

The new smartphone theme is available in the standard theme changer, and is also linked from our reminder links block in the left side column.

At the moment, the new theme has only one variant. Three additional variants are on the way, but I haven't had a chance to finish the stylesheets yet. Once I have them finished I will enable selection of them.

Also note that if you are on a 320x480 screen, some profile pages will be better viewed in landscape mode rather than the standard portrait mode. This is a little inconvenient but I haven't had time to recode every page yet. Most pages should be fine on 320 width though. If you are one of the poor peeps still stuck on a 240 wide screen you can expect things to be a bit of a nuisance in spots.

The new theme has some added functionality.

The left side column with shoutbox, recent posts, etc is now available once you are logged in. Guests don't have it, they just get the basic setup.

The left column is collapsed and expanded by clicking the header bar across the top of your window. Also, each block within the left column can be individually collapsed and expanded by clicking anywhere on the header bar for that particular block. The forum will remember these settings until you change them.

Clicking on the forum logo at the left side of the theme header will take you back to the forum index from any page. Clicking on right side of the header will take you to the bottom of the current page.

Clicking on the left side of the theme footer (the black section above the copyright links) will take you back to the forum index from any page. Clicking on right side of the footer will take you to the top of the current page.

The theme's main menu bar is now greatly simplified, so it will fit on one line without stacking up (assuming iPhone portrait mode). There are drop menus beneath each tab, which open upon clicking the visible tab. The drop menus contain all necessary functionality.

When you go into your profile or personal messages sections, the sidebar menus with the various options are still called via clicking the header bar for them, as in the older theme. The behaviour is improved though. The menus will automatically collapse when you load a new page, and the collapse code is now separate from the shoutbox collapse code.

For the memberlist page, a similar collapsible menu has been added for the sorting options as the standard SMF links were no good for touchscreen. This menu is called from a half-width header bar at the left side of the top row. It has the standard collapse/expand icon on it so it should be obvious enough. This additional menu is not available for sorting memberlist search results as our software wont currently allow that.

The ignore user mod now works on this theme, however I have simplified the display by removing the show/hide buttons from each post. For this theme you only have the ignore and unignore options. This is a space saving measure and in practice the functionality is not much affected.

Smileys and BBC buttons are not yet available in the quick reply. I'll sort that soon but haven't had a chance to do it yet.

I will be recoding the BBC code tags (the # button) to make them into spoiler tags. This will enable hiding of some content (ie: long url's etc) which may break post layout due to the way Webkit handles (or doesn't handle) wrapping of long url's. This will be available soon.

However, the coding of the posts themselves has been changed so that, in the meantime, any long url's will only force a scrollbar on that particular post, rather than breaking width on that entire page of the thread. I'll be doing this with personal messages too, but at the moment they haven't been done.

I think that about covers everything. For this theme I've gone for button/keyboard styling in a lot of places in an attempt to make link sizes and spacing more suitable for use with a touchscreen. I've just taken what I felt was a good average as a starting point. If you find some of the sizes and spacings could still be better, feel free to say so.

Please be specific when giving feedback though as the more information I have the easier I will be able to sort things out. yes

That's all. Go for it. bunny

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: New smartphone theme (Omega Mobile RC)
     Reply #1 - April 30, 2011, 05:14 PM

Hey osman, thank you so much for your hard work. It feels like all my prayers to satan have been answered.  yes

I've just had a quick play and I love what I see. Particularly happy that recent activity in the forum is now easier to track, with your wonderful collapsable box on the left.

I'll report any problems I find in the next day or two. Only thing I've spotted so far is that some of the text on the homepage has become squashed...I think some lines are overlapping others, thus making parts of it impossible to read.

Anyways...Big  thnkyu bunny

Hi
     Reply #2 - April 30, 2011, 08:49 PM

Yes I noticed that myself. It's due to the portal blocks using a custom class. I didn't pay attenttion to the front page when testing. I know how to fix it anyway. Will do an update sometime this week.

Reply #3 - May 01, 2011, 12:33 AM

I've also noticed that you can no longer scroll down the shoutbox. You can now see two or three shouts, but the rest are obscured by the textbox used for posting shouts. Not sure if this is intentional?

Hi
     Reply #4 - May 01, 2011, 06:50 AM

There's still 20 of them stacked up, just like on the standard site theme. It still calls exactly the same code for both themes, so there is a scrollbar. You can see it if you use the mobile theme in a standard browser. Not sure if Android will let you scroll it though. Peru reckons Android does scroll on textareas (reply boxes) if you drag your finger within them, so perhaps it'll do the same for any div that has auto overflow. Try it and see if it works. I can always make the shoutbox section taller if necessary.

Reply #5 - May 01, 2011, 08:18 AM

Defo not working on my android. Can you make it taller on your next round of fixes?

Hi
     Reply #6 - May 01, 2011, 08:27 AM

No worries. I'll double it or something.

Reply #7 - May 01, 2011, 11:13 PM

Hi mate, noticed you logged in. All is working great as far as I can tell. And my life is easier and less frustrating as a result.

One last thing from me: when going into a thread via recent posts, part of the thread becomes obscured by the side-bar and this therefore has to be collapsed to read the whole thread. You then need to reopen once you are ready to leave the thread. As far as I can tell, it has to be this way?

Hi
     Reply #8 - May 01, 2011, 11:21 PM

Oh, and the number of posts a member has is no longer displaying within a thread. Not a big issue, I know...but I came accross a member I'd never heard of today and wasn't sure if he was new, or someone returning from haitus. Newbies, I can bully, so the difference is important to me.

Hi
     Reply #9 - May 01, 2011, 11:39 PM

Hi mate, noticed you logged in. All is working great as far as I can tell. And my life is easier and less frustrating as a result.

One last thing from me: when going into a thread via recent posts, part of the thread becomes obscured by the side-bar and this therefore has to be collapsed to read the whole thread. You then need to reopen once you are ready to leave the thread. As far as I can tell, it has to be this way?

Not sure any change would be an improvement. I can change the js so that the setting isn't remembered on page load, which would mean the block would default to collapsed. That would mean reopening it all the time anyway. Also, if the post you're going to is down the page a bit the side panel wont get in the way anyhow. I'll have a think about it, but you may be stuck with the way it is, just because there's a limit to what you can do if you need the overlapping panel to call the functionality you want.

Oh, and the number of posts a member has is no longer displaying within a thread. Not a big issue, I know...but I came accross a member I'd never heard of today and wasn't sure if he was new, or someone returning from haitus. Newbies, I can bully, so the difference is important to me.

Ditched it to save space and clutter. Could put it back in. I like the look of it the way it is, but if people want the post count back I can do that. Of course, you can always check their profile by clicking their av.

Reply #10 - May 02, 2011, 07:32 AM

I think I agree about what you say about the side panel: it is only an issue whenever a thread is near the top of each page. When the thread is longer than the first quarter of each page, the panel retains its functionality, without being a nuisance. To collapse it by default would remove one of the aspects of the new theme that I am most happiest with. But I mentioned it to you just in case you could see a solution (I certainly can't).

Post counter is no biggie. The look of each post is better now. I thought I'd mention it in case it was a bug.

Hi
     Reply #11 - May 02, 2011, 09:57 AM

Had another thought on the sidebar issue. Can you make it automatically collapse when clicking on things like 'reply' and 'profile'? It definitely gets in the way in these screens and the user is forced to close it. If you were to collapse it, the user could then manually reopen when ready and when needed...the sidebar can be left as it is within threads, because the pros definitely outweigh the cons there?

Hi
     Reply #12 - May 02, 2011, 09:37 PM

I probably could, with a bit more fiddling with the javascript. I'll take a look at it sometime. Those pages do load you to the top of the page though, so the collapse bar is right there in front of you.

ETA: Come to think of it, it probably should just auto collapse on each page load. Keep the blocks themselves open according to whatever was last set, but auto collapse the whole panel on every new page. That is very easy to arrange and is probably what people are going to want 99% of the time.

Reply #13 - May 02, 2011, 09:45 PM

Good point. Just getting lazy, so you don't need to change that.

I feel like Columbo when I say this, but just one more thing: when I close down the website and come back in, I sometimes, but not always, find myself back on the default theme. This occurs even when I am only using my phone, and not switching between laptop and phone. Can you think what is causing this?

Hi
     Reply #14 - May 02, 2011, 10:55 PM

Not offhand. We'll look as sorting something though as it would be a nuisance.

Had another idea about the side panel. Really, all that needs to happen is that the blocks within the panel collapse on page load. When they are all collapsed, the remaining panel is quite small and doesn't really get in the way, because the link tree, page index and reply/notify/add poll buttons take up some height at the top of the page. That's inside threads of course, but there's still stuff up the top on pretty much any page.

So, if I make the blocks themselves collapse automatically the actual panel can stay visible most of the time, and any block can be expanded quite easily just by hitting the page up link and clicking the block header.

Reply #15 - May 02, 2011, 10:58 PM

Sounds good mate. I knew you wouldn't let it lie.

Hi
     Reply #16 - May 09, 2011, 11:42 AM

Hi mate

As from this morning, my pc keeps reverting to the mobile theme whenever I come back into the forum. On the other hand, my phone keeps defaulting to the full theme (though I think I reported this mobile issue already in this thread...)

Are you messing about with the settings today?

Hi
     Reply #17 - May 09, 2011, 03:00 PM

I havn't noticed that musivore, but my mobile seems to like switching back to the full theme on my mobile everytime I start it back up. Oh and one more thing, the toolbar seems to love blocking my whole screen, but its cool since I can retract it... any chance of putting it on the bottom part of the page instead osman?

All in all, a massive improvement from before, I even made a thread from my phone for the first time! Afro

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #18 - May 10, 2011, 03:21 AM

Hi mate

As from this morning, my pc keeps reverting to the mobile theme whenever I come back into the forum. On the other hand, my phone keeps defaulting to the full theme (though I think I reported this mobile issue already in this thread...)

Are you messing about with the settings today?

Haven't touched anything at all. Your profile is set to the site default theme, so I'm not surprised that the mobile goes to that automatically. At the moment, that smartphone theme selection link is session-dependent. IOW, it doesn't remember anything once you log out.

I don't know why your pc is reverting to the mobile theme.

Reply #19 - May 10, 2011, 03:23 AM

Oh and one more thing, the toolbar seems to love blocking my whole screen, but its cool since I can retract it... any chance of putting it on the bottom part of the page instead osman?

Well if it's at the bottom it'll be in the way of something else. Smiley

What I am going to do is make it disappear automatically when you load a new page. I just haven't got around to it yet, even though it's an easy change. I'll try to do it in the next day or two.

Reply #20 - May 10, 2011, 09:38 AM

Haven't touched anything at all. Your profile is set to the site default theme, so I'm not surprised that the mobile goes to that automatically. At the moment, that smartphone theme selection link is session-dependent. IOW, it doesn't remember anything once you log out.

You could be right Osman. If I close the website on my phone, and don’t come back in for a while, I do revert to the default theme. But if I close it down and then come back within about an hour, it is still always set on the mobile theme. I think that this fits in with what you are saying because I have chose the option of ‘logging on forever’ on my phone, and when I close down (without logging out), it takes some time for the system to realise that I am not online. If I return before the cut-off period (whatever that may be), it keeps me on the mobile theme. If not, it puts me back on the full theme.

^^ Anyways, I’m typing all this in case it helps when you try to apply Muddy’s earlier suggestion of automatically recognising if you are on your phone or pc.

My pc is working okay now btw and not reverting to the mobile theme.

Hi
     Reply #21 - May 10, 2011, 09:38 AM

Cheesy Cheesy

Hi
     Reply #22 - May 13, 2011, 03:40 PM

Well you tell that bottom part to pick his crap up and go somewhere else. xD

Nah but it's cool, it's only a click of a button to get rid of it anyways Smiley

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #23 - May 14, 2011, 01:42 PM

Hey Os, you've done a great job on the mobile theme. I would recommend however that you store all theme information in cookies rather than sessions. It would be much more convenient for everyone and the most logical choice Wink
     Reply #24 - May 14, 2011, 11:08 PM

Yeah I know. Just haven't got around to it yet.

Reply #25 - May 15, 2011, 09:08 AM

lol ok Tongue
     Reply #26 - July 15, 2011, 12:54 AM

Bumping. So I'm about to start coding up the new version of this thing for our upgrade to SMF 2.0. Yes, I know I'm a lazy bugger. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Tongue

So I know what extra stuff people want me to add to the thing, but is there any stuff that people never use and would like removed?

Trimming out unused crap would make for a better gui, yes? yes

Reply #27 - July 15, 2011, 12:59 AM

the left bar which contains shoutbox and recent posts is big and stuff

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #28 - July 15, 2011, 01:10 AM

No tisn't. Your screen is small n stuff. Tongue

People wanted that. They grumbled when it wasn't there because they were used to having it on the full desktop theme and found it very convenient (which is why it's on the full theme, obviously).

There's not a lot I can do to make it smaller, unless you fancy reading text with a microscope. Wink

Reply #29 - July 15, 2011, 01:15 AM

I find everything is too small on my BB bold. Just magnify it all and make it all PINK and GLITTERY , and I'm good to go Afro

Lol! Cheesy I just know what Ossy is gonna say and its going to start with something along the lines of .. "NO..." Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »