Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Religion is bullshit!

(Read 5277 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Religion is bullshit!
     OP - April 29, 2011, 03:16 PM

Hi good people!

I don't know why I haven't written this earlier. I have actually been following this forum a couple of months and i have been a member since the beginning of April. First of all i would like to apologize for my English – since English is not my first nor my second language. I know that especially one person is looking forward to this introduction ( i cant promise that it will be a good introduction).. I had a smalltalk with Prince Spinoza on the chat. Its was only a couple of comments.

First some information about me. I don't really know if i am Muslim anymore at all. The last year i have had atheist and anti-religious meanings and stance on lot of stuff. I despise the Abrahamic faith for its madness and falseness. Its an illusion and its quite infantile as Sigmund Freud said it.

I am 24 years old student and independent. I actually study human rights and political science (i prefer political philosophy – thats why i am fond of Spinoza for example.)  

What made me write this short introduction? I read this long post and was fascinated over its substance. It made my think even more. And its impressive that its written by a 17 year old. When i was at the age until not far ago i considered myself to be a Muslim apologetic. Something which i hate when i think about it.

I tried not only to harmonize science with islam, but islam and human rights also. But whatever i tried to do it was doomed to fail. After i while i understood that islam as all other religions are man-made and its all about power.

And unlike a great deal of the members i am not Desi (from the Indian subcontinent). I am actually from East Africa. A country which has lately been ravaged by religious extremists and their hate monger and violence.

Who is Al-Ma`arri (my nick)?

Al-Ma`arri was a blind Arab philosopher and poet. He lived in the 1000-th century. I haven`t read all of his poetry since i don't know Arabic (i envy does who knows it). But i have read some of the translated poetry.. My favorite is this one:

They all err—Moslems, Jews,
    Christians, and Zoroastrians:
    Humanity follows two world-wide sects:
    One, man intelligent without religion,
    The second, religious without intellect.  
                                       Al-Ma'arri

PS: I have a lot of interests which I will tell you about. That is when i become more active in the forum.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
  • Re: Religion is bullshit!
     Reply #1 - April 29, 2011, 03:28 PM

I didnt mention what my issue with islam is - since its to much to be honest  will only mention one thing. That is the lack of critical thinking.

A year ago i asked myself the following question: "Al-Ma`aari (instead of my real name) what if islam is not the truth?" After that simple question my doubt became stronger. Since I started studying at uni i have read extensively not only Western philosophy, but also Islamic philosophy.

The main issue is the following: Why is it not appriopiate to challenge the truth if it is the truth? Because if islam is the truth - it wouldn`t be difficult to prove it? So why the lack of critical thinking?

Is it because belief is irrational? Religion is irrational? And when an individual starts to think critically and wakes up a morning (a bit like the eternal recurrence which Nietzsche talks about) and challenges the foundation of everything he believes on. He or she will start seeing cracks in the glass. When you start challenging religious dogmas its like removing cards from the card house. And when you do that - the whole house falls.

- John Keats
     Reply #2 - April 29, 2011, 03:36 PM

Welcome to the forum! Here's your customary parrot. parrot

Fabulous introduction and a wonderful origin behind the name. I especially like the comparison of criticism of belief to the house of cards in the last bit. Your English is excellent, by the way.

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #3 - April 29, 2011, 03:41 PM

Hi good people!

Religion is bullshit!

Who is Al-Ma`arri (my nick)?

Al-Ma`arri was a blind Arab philosopher and poet. He lived in the 1000-th century. I haven`t read all of his poetry since i don't know Arabic (i envy does who knows it). But i have read some of the translated poetry.. My favorite is this one:

They all err—Moslems, Jews,
    Christians, and Zoroastrians:
    Humanity follows two world-wide sects:
    One, man intelligent without religion,
    The second, religious without intellect.  
                                       Al-Ma'arri

PS: I have a lot of interests which I will tell you about. That is when i become more active in the forum.

Oh common  Al-Ma`arri., please "Don't insult Bull shit"

It is a very useful thing to millions of people..

welcome to cemb Al-Ma`arri., Yes   "Abu 'L'Ala Ahmad ibn 'Abdallah al-Ma'arri" was a great guy.  He was a survivor and he knew how to survive using proper words to heckle the Islamic rulers.  So let us read one more sonnet from him

You’ve had your way a long, long time,
    You kings and tyrants,
    And still you work injustice hour by hour.
    What ails you that do not tread a path of glory?
    A man may take the field, although he love the bower.
    But some hope a divine leader with prophetic voice
    Will rise amid the gazing silent ranks.
    An idle thought! There’s none to lead but reason,
    To point the morning and the evening ways
    Y

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - April 29, 2011, 04:24 PM

Welcome Al-Ma`arri

Have a bunny  bunny

Cheesy @ yeez please "Don't insult Bull shit"

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #5 - April 29, 2011, 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forum, Al-Ma'arri. victory

Nice intro. Afro

And unlike a great deal of the members i am not Desi (from the Indian subcontinent). I am actually from East Africa. A country which has lately been ravaged by religious extremists and their hate monger and violence.

I was born and bred in East Africa too.  Kenya, to be precise.  Although, I am desi. Smiley

Al-Ma`arri was a blind Arab philosopher and poet. He lived in the 1000-th century.

11th century. Tongue

I didnt mention what my issue with islam is - since its to much to be honest  will only mention one thing. That is the lack of critical thinking.

Same here. Afro

The main issue is the following: Why is it not appriopiate to challenge the truth if it is the truth? Because if islam is the truth - it wouldn`t be difficult to prove it? So why the lack of critical thinking?

Is it because belief is irrational? Religion is irrational? And when an individual starts to think critically and wakes up a morning (a bit like the eternal recurrence which Nietzsche talks about) and challenges the foundation of everything he believes on. He or she will start seeing cracks in the glass. When you start challenging religious dogmas its like removing cards from the card house. And when you do that - the whole house falls.

So true. Afro Afro Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - April 29, 2011, 04:59 PM

Al-Ma'arri, Spanish is my third language, and it's not a patch on your English.

While I can shit to taxi drivers, I couldn't possibly write posts like yours.
     Reply #7 - April 29, 2011, 05:45 PM

English is my first language David, but I'd struggle to match Al Ma'aari's skills.

Al Ma'aari, welcome to the forum  Afro

You took a very interesting, philosophical route towards us. Look out for z10's posts; I can see you two getting on like a house on fire... I can see it now: define 'fire', he'll say to you.. Define 'define', you'll retort...

Btw, thanks for introducing me to the historical Al Ma'aari. I'm a fan already. It's good to know there has been a counter-culture to Islam all along, and that not everyone bought the bullshit, even during its heyday.

Yezeevee: love the line about bullshit having many uses to millions

Hi
     Reply #8 - April 29, 2011, 06:41 PM

Welcome to the forum Al-Ma`arri and certainly a great intro

First some information about me. I don't really know if i am Muslim anymore at all. The last year i have had atheist and anti-religious meanings and stance on lot of stuff. I despise the Abrahamic faith for its madness and falseness. Its an illusion and its quite infantile as Sigmund Freud said it.

You are not a muslim anymore for sure..... enjoy the dark side  Wink
     Reply #9 - April 29, 2011, 09:59 PM

Welcome to the forum! We have Darth Vader cookies on the dark side.  parrot

Grouchy  what is the  good reason for picking up an innocent girl  as Osama  bin Laden?    

Reply #10 - April 29, 2011, 10:06 PM

Yup, if only all Muslims are encouraged to search the truth no matter where it leads.

Welcome Al.  parrot
     Reply #11 - April 30, 2011, 12:31 AM

Welcome Al! Smiley  Here are THREE bunnies to welcome you!
     bunny bunny bunny

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #12 - April 30, 2011, 12:35 AM

Thanks folk!

I love parrots! I hope its African Grey parrots.

If you excuse me now I will get some pork ( was tricked to eat twice and i almost suffocated  piggy) and alcohol (never tried it).

As Omar Khayyam said:

"How much more of the mosque, of prayer and fasting?
    Better go drunk and begging round the taverns.
    Khayyam, drink wine, for soon this clay of yours
    Will make a cup, bowl, one day a jar.

When once you hear the roses are in bloom,
    Then is the time, my love, to pour the wine;
    Houris and palaces and Heaven and Hell-
    These are but fairy-tales, forget them all."

- John Keats
     Reply #13 - April 30, 2011, 12:39 AM

Al.. you dont have to do those things if you dont want to Smiley 
    you are FREE to choose now!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #14 - April 30, 2011, 12:41 AM

Hehe. I am not going to do it.

Just had to say something. I dont like meat that much.

- John Keats
     Reply #15 - April 30, 2011, 12:43 AM

we have vegans and vegitarians here, too Smiley 
    and some africans, too.

Helen Keller
     Reply #16 - April 30, 2011, 04:48 AM

I'm a Veggie here ^_^
    Welcome to the foruumm!!
     signwelcome
     Reply #17 - May 01, 2011, 09:42 PM

A year ago i asked myself the following question: "Al-Ma`aari (instead of my real name) what if islam is not the truth?" After that simple question my doubt became stronger. Since I started studying at uni i have read extensively not only Western philosophy, but also Islamic philosophy.

Indeed. You were right to be suspicious. Afro

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #18 - January 31, 2012, 03:01 PM

Al-Ma`arri ..  grin12 hi and welcome

how in the world did i miss all these great intros!!
     Reply #19 - January 31, 2012, 04:28 PM

Al-Ma`arri, you said you English is bad, from what I saw ur English is pretty good.

Reply #20 - January 31, 2012, 07:38 PM

Warm welcome!

"Children of Abel, Children of Cain
     Can live in harmony, without shame
     The keys that I grant thee, The Sacred Land
     Are dry desert sand on the palm of your hand
     Without the water, the wisdom of past
     Will run through your fingers, forgotten so fast"
     Reply #21 - February 01, 2012, 03:00 AM

Al-Ma'arri said:

We weep, yet inept is our laughter.
    Rather we should weep, and weep sore.
    For we are as shattered glass hereafter:
    We exist then are no more.

Interested in Buddhism? Check out http://www.accesstoinsight.org/!
    Consider Nalanda University, and never let it happen again.
     Reply #22 - February 05, 2012, 04:27 AM

Thanks!  grin12

- John Keats
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »