Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: 6 May 2011, Oxford Union Debate on multiculturalism, Oxford

(Read 12791 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: 6 May 2011, Oxford Union Debate on multiculturalism, Oxford
     Reply #30 - April 26, 2011, 07:28 PM

If they want to wear it out of fear of their husbands, then it's not really a want.

isn't that obvious?

If they want to wear it because of their faith (which they've been indoctrinated to believe in their through fear or by deception of a life hereafter) - then I don't agree with it.

Would you want to see the Hijab/Niqaab criminalised then (as they've done in France)?
     Reply #31 - April 26, 2011, 08:17 PM

Would you want to see the Hijab/Niqaab criminalised then (as they've done in France)?

Niqaab yes, I support the ban and would like to see it in the UK, we need it more than France imo. Marayam supports the ban. Muslim women in Canada support the ban, even some French Imams support the ban.

Hijab no. Hijab hasn't been banned in France. There are big differences, how small the piece of cloth (imo).
     Reply #32 - April 27, 2011, 05:13 AM

HighOctane: So you are against both freedom of religion and freedom of expression?

I respect your pov - I personally find it utterly, utterly depressing to see a woman in Niqaab. *But* I would totally support her right to wear what she wants for two reasons:

1)banning stuff is an act of force. People always respond defensively to force - so for example, if a parent hits their child for doing X, the child will likely continue doing X when the parent's back is turned. Its much more effective for parents to explain and persuade..  

2)If I only believe in some freedoms and not others, or freedoms for some people and not others, I don't actually believe in them at all.. I couldn't genuinely believe in things like democracy and human rights if I support the criminalisation of the Niqaab.

I've also gotta say that Exmuslims against the Niqaab are kind of on the same boat as me - you can't really advocate for freedom from religion whilst wanting to curtail others' freedoms.
     Reply #33 - April 27, 2011, 07:27 AM

Hey sofian86.

Forget about the hijaab for a sec - why do you and I wear clothes at all; covering ourselves with bits of fabric is a very unnatural thing to do if you think about it, no?

Not really. Clothes enable us to survive in environments that would otherwise be too hostile. Initially that wasn't that much of an issue because Hominides initially evolved in a temperate environment.
    Later on the reason for wearing clothes evolved from something that is purely utilitarian into means of expressing ourselves.

Ofcourse we wear clothes because we've been 'indoctrinated' with seemingly arbitrary social norms.  We are moulded by our upbringing so ofcourse you'd expect it to influence our actions later in life.

The key difference between the Amish community and Western Muslims is that in the former case, the community lead segregated lives and as such, develop an extreme in-group mentality - this is a sociological/psychological explanation for the phenomenon you describe. On the other hand, sure, Muslims are by definition indoctrinated, but they are exposed to an alternative world view on a daily basis, through school, university, work etc.  

There are many different types of Muslims who experience Allah and interpret Quran in different ways hence their view towards Hijab or the Niqaab is going to differ significantly.
    In one side ultra-conservative and reactionary Salafi or tribalistic Deobandi interpretations and on the other side extremely progressive Sufi interpretations (a la Tailorite Sufism for example where veil becomes in itself completely immaterial and ceases to be a piece of clothing and becomes an idea).

Nevertheless a significant portion Muslims exhibit the same sort of in-group/out-group mentality as any other group that is fueled by tribalistic allegiance would. Consider the fact that Muslim women (this is a very much mainstream thing) are specifically forbidden from marrying partners outside of one's own group to the point that such a thing is seen as treason.

It is true that Muslims living in 'Western' countries are daily exposed to alternative world views but a lot see what they perceive as 'sinful Western hedonism' not as a legitimate alternative one could freely enjoy if one so wishes but as a threat.

Veiling in itself could be interpreted in different ways.

On one hand it signifies a belonging to a parochial Muslim 'community' - here the veiling cannot be a result of a 'free' choice even when the wearer claims that it is. Because it ignores the tremendous pressure of the social norms imposed on members of such 'community' to the point where such norms become completely internalized. Because after all Allah commands it.

On the other hand when a woman truly chooses wearing a veil - for example in order to realise their own spirituality the meaning of the veil changes. It becomes an expression of individuality rather than of the belonging to a specific community or trying to please a deity.

The difference here is a difference between Indian farmer 'choosing' to eat Indian food because that is a cultural norm and you or me deciding to have lunch at a local Indian restaurant.

Point is that such 'choice' is not a choice at all but a mere illusion designed to mask the lack of freedom.
     Reply #34 - April 27, 2011, 08:35 AM

Point is that such 'choice' is not a choice at all but a mere illusion designed to mask the lack of freedom.

If I read you correctly, that is what I think about women do say they truly WANT to wear the burka. They wear it not because they are free, but because they aren't free and were not free in their upbringing with the creed of Islam fed into their minds.

I respect your point of view also sofian86, and I know I come across as a harsh bastard, close minded even, but if I could offer you some trust it would be that it is tough love really!

HighOctane: So you are against both freedom of religion and freedom of expression?

To a certain extent yes. When religion goes too far (e.g. push homosexuals off a cliff) then yes there is a beneficial reason to curb religious freedom. The burka has enough social implications for it to be banned imo.

1)banning stuff is an act of force. People always respond defensively to force - so for example, if a parent hits their child for doing X, the child will likely continue doing X when the parent's back is turned. Its much more effective for parents to explain and persuade..  

I agree it is an act of force. I agree there will be defensive reaction. I disagree that most burka wearing woman have the choice to explain and persuade to their husbands and mothers and brothers why they don't want to wear it any longer. The social pressure are huge and intricate. There are many threads on these forums alone how women are trying to persuade their family not to wear a scarf. There are girls who've been murdered for not covering themselves by their fathers. It is a real problem and it does exist. If this ban comes in place think how a young girl can say, "afraid not dad, the law prohibits it". When brought up in a family where there are plenty of shouting matches of a scarf, I think the law should defiantly be on the side of such girls and women.

2)If I only believe in some freedoms and not others, or freedoms for some people and not others, I don't actually believe in them at all.. I couldn't genuinely believe in things like democracy and human rights if I support the criminalisation of the Niqaab.

I think there has to be a, okay will sound cheesy, an ethical and moral standard by what freedoms are given to people. Although we are very free in the West, we are also not free for beneficial reasons. We must wear a seatbelt, drive under the limit, respect traffic lights. To extend on this, we are not free to insult racial hatred or sexually harass women at work. To extend it even more, religious groups or people advocating violence like Zakir Naik get banned from speaking out. My point is I am afraid there are many, many freedoms which are curtailed for beneficial reasons. The Niqqab is just another. This does not mean a nanny state or a totalitarian 1984 life, it means people with the minds who can figure out what is right and wrong implement rules that are beneficial to the whole of society. And the society as a whole can vote on this. Most British, German and other European nations would ban the burka if it wasn't for the idealism of multiculturalism or the fear by spineless MPs (like my own constituent) who thinks it will cause even more extremism.

I've also gotta say that Exmuslims against the Niqaab are kind of on the same boat as me - you can't really advocate for freedom from religion whilst wanting to curtail others' freedoms.

Hope the above point explained this point.

Glad we are not getting all personal over our PoV's.  Smiley
     Reply #35 - April 27, 2011, 09:22 AM

If I read you correctly, that is what I think about women do say they truly WANT to wear the burka. They wear it not because they are free, but because they aren't free and were not free in their upbringing with the creed of Islam fed into their minds.

Somebody who is caught in their specific culture obviously cannot be truly flexible and free to choose an alternative because of conditioning that a priori classifies others as being in the wrong (to various degrees).

But much the same can be said about liberalism itself. In defending human rights it imposes its own version of human rights onto others. But again such self-reflexive criticism of oneself is only possible because liberalism values individuality and rationality.

This freedom of choice is often a mere formal gesture of consent to our own exploitation and oppression.
     Reply #36 - April 27, 2011, 09:57 AM

This freedom of choice is often a mere formal gesture of consent to our own exploitation and oppression.

How do you mean?
     Reply #37 - April 27, 2011, 10:29 AM

How do you mean?

Girl 'chooses' to wear a veil but in reality this is a mere consent to oppression brought about by imposition of social norms in Muslim community for example. The circumstances these girls will be in (as a result of indoctrination they received during the upbringing) at the time when they will make the choice is going to make this choice unfree. Hence this 'free choice' is an illusion, a mere gesture of consent masked as a 'free choice'.

Or somebody from 'Western', liberal society  who 'chooses' (but is in reality compelled and pressured into this 'choice' by societal values) to undergo procedures such as plastic surgery, cosmetic implants or Botox injections in order to remain visually young and 'beautiful' (thus remain competitive in the sex market).

Those are both generalizations, but you get the idea.
     Reply #38 - April 27, 2011, 11:36 AM

Hold up.

Comparing Europe and Japan on "social cohesion" or "humility" is apples and oranges.

I wasn't really comparing Europe to Japan, just saying that we Europeans don't have a monopoly on good ideas about how to make societies work.

Japan is changing - at its own speed, not at the breakneck speed of an ideology (Multiculturalism with a capital m) imposed on the many by a few.

I was treated with contempt when I first went to Japan in 1982. That was their right and their problem. It's much easier now, though of course I'm still utterly a foreigner. It would be presumptuous to imagine otherwise.

As Billy says, Cosmopolitanisn is where all the good stuff happens. It requires everyone to open their minds and be flexible, to enrich and be enriched.

(Enoiugh platitudes for now. Apologies.)
     Reply #39 - April 27, 2011, 11:42 AM

I was treated with contempt when I first went to Japan in 1982. That was their right and their problem. It's much easier now, though of course I'm still utterly a foreigner. It would be presumptuous to imagine otherwise.

Have you lived in Japan since '82, you dirty gaijin?

Why were you initially treated with contempt? Has the general attitude changed since?
     Reply #40 - April 27, 2011, 11:50 AM

Girl 'chooses' to wear a veil but in reality this is a mere consent to oppression brought about by imposition of social norms in Muslim community for example. The circumstances these girls will be in (as a result of indoctrination they received during the upbringing) at the time when they will make the choice is going to make this choice unfree. Hence this 'free choice' is an illusion, a mere gesture of consent masked as a 'free choice'.

Or somebody from 'Western', liberal society  who 'chooses' (but is in reality compelled and pressured into this 'choice' by societal values) to undergo procedures such as plastic surgery, cosmetic implants or Botox injections in order to remain visually young and 'beautiful' (thus remain competitive in the sex market).

Those are both generalizations, but you get the idea.

I see. I think with two you compared highlights something about Islam. Indeed, women pressured by the media can be serious and lead to eating disorders. But the difference that pressure isn't the same as that of Islam where there are constructs of fear, blind faith, blind sacredness, us Vs them division, male domination, etc is prevalent. It is up to society at large to make sure the media doesn't deceive people, hence why all the image enhancers you mention can freely be critiqued. There are trading standard laws on what can be sold. In the US there is the Federal Drug Agency and in UK we have MHRA monitoring what can be given to the public (e.g. botox). We have TV shows reporting about plastic surgery going wrong!

So I'm not convinced that Western cultures have illusionary choices like Islamic cultures do.
     Reply #41 - April 27, 2011, 12:03 PM

Have you lived in Japan since '82, you dirty gaijin?

Why were you initially treated with contempt? Has the general attitude changed since?

I've never lived there, but that may change in the next year or so.

I went the first time with my girlfriend, a model who was working there. We were treated not just rudely, but cruelly. It prejudiced me against Japanese people till I fell in love with one.

The general attitude has changed hugely, small step by small step. They don't want to be "multicultural", though. They are, however, utterly charming to this dirty gaijin.
     Reply #42 - April 27, 2011, 12:19 PM

Indeed, women pressured by the media can be serious and lead to eating disorders. .

It's not just media though, it's the pressure exerted by society as a whole with values that are based on consumerism, commodification of pretty much everything etc.
    And its not just women either, the same applies to men as well (hair transplantation, penis enlargement procedures) or even children (sexualization of children for example).
     Reply #43 - April 27, 2011, 12:45 PM

Kenen I can think of a simple answer to prove there is more real choice in the West: individualism. How much do people deviate from each other in the West, at an individual level, compared to Muslims? Take hair transplantation, people have a choice on that at an individual level. Put compare that to insulting Mohammed - that mind indoctrinating group think restriction at force.

I see what you're saying but I can't put it into words why I disagree. Haha ... stumped, almost.  Tongue
     Reply #44 - April 27, 2011, 02:31 PM

Because the communitiarian critique of individualism is deterministic.  It's obvious to say that external influences influence individual behavior but an individual choice is a concrete act that can profoundly go against communal pressures.  The fact that these decisions can be made, have been made, and continue to be made indicates that " freedom of choice" isn't just an proverbial nod but a concrete event that occurs and has continued to occur over the less concrete though definitely existent societal pressures in the form of societal norms gender roles etc.

A nice post modern approach would be to say that both are continually in conflict.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #45 - April 27, 2011, 02:45 PM

@HO

I am not even trying to compare the two but simply saying that both have their own biases.

@deus
    You are quite right. After all, people here are proof positive that there is such a thing as a free choice. But often the choices we perceive as free are anything but that.
     Reply #46 - April 27, 2011, 02:50 PM

Kenan:

The point I was making is that we are all shaped by our upbringing - the choices we make are 'determined' atleast in part by our experiences. I don't stick a metal knife into an electrical socket because my parents instilled into me the idea that such an act would kill me. Just as I believe what I do about the electrical socket, many Muslim women believe (rightly or wrongly) that they are sinning when not wearing the Hijab. Our beliefs make up who we are, to us they are truths and I think that is absolutely key. But, there is no universal truth outside the domain of mathematics: what's true to me isn't necessarily true to you. So when you say that a hijabi doesn't really have freedom of choice, what you are effectively saying is that her beliefs are wrong, according to your own which isn't particularly meaningful.

HighOctane:

The ban in France is seen as a campaign of delegitimisation and criminalisation of muslim life. If in the course of arguing with you, I slap you in the face, what's the first emotion you will likely feel? I'd say humiliation - you'd want to punch me back to restore your perceived loss of dignity. In the same way, the French goverment's actions will be met by resistance and increased extremism. That's just how humans work.

Yes, it's true that most muslims hold abhorrent views wrt to gender roles, but what needs to be done is outreach work which targets the communities and educates them about things like women's rights, gay rights, etc. You can't impose a cultural change - you need to convince people they really need it.

As regards you last point, yes you are right, freedoms can be curtailed but in very exceptional circumstances - namely when they impinge on the freedoms or rights of others. A woman wearing the Niqaab makes me despair, but it doesn't impinge on my rights at all.

But if a man forces a woman wear the hijab, he is clearly impinging on her rights (her personal autonomy) - in this case the law is unequivocally on the woman's side.

Same with inciting religious hatred - freedom of speech is curtailed if and only if it will likely lead to physical attacks on others.
     Reply #47 - April 27, 2011, 03:12 PM

The point I was making is that we are all shaped by our upbringing - the choices we make are 'determined' atleast in part by our experiences. I don't stick a metal knife into an electrical socket because my parents instilled into me the idea that such an act would kill me. Just as I believe what I do about the electrical socket, many Muslim women believe (rightly or wrongly) that they are sinning when not wearing the Hijab.

You 'believing' that sticking a metal knife into a live electrical socket is likely to harm you is not a belief as such. It is a fact firmly based in laws of physics. There is no moral judgement involved.

On the other hand somebody's belief that they are being moral by acting in a  immoral way is a simple culturally endorsed fallacy. Submitting to and acting according to whims of an external authority - a deity that observes us and ticks boxes is by definition immoral. Judgement is our own; that is what it means to be self-aware and entirely responsible for the choices we make: we never make them because we will get a "naughty tick" or a "nice tick" from an external observer. 

Our beliefs make up who we are, to us they are truths and I think that is absolutely key.

Beliefs can and should be re-evaluated and changed if necessary. That is what personal progress is all about.

But, there is no universal truth outside the domain of mathematics: what's true to me isn't necessarily true to you. So when you say that a hijabi doesn't really have freedom of choice, what you are effectively saying is that her beliefs are wrong, according to your own which isn't particularly meaningful.

I do not agree with your take on this.

Saying that a hijabi often does not have a real freedom of choice and that such choice is a mere mirage and that it actually obscures the fact that such a 'choice' is unfree is qualitatively neutral.
    In fact it's emancipatory.
    Such a statement does not endorse that a hijabi should change her conduct; all it says is that she should be brave enough to see what really lies behind her 'choice'.
    Only when she sees the real behind the illusion can she really make a free choice - whatever that might be.
     Reply #48 - April 27, 2011, 04:11 PM

Quote from: Kenan
    You 'believing' that sticking a metal knife into a live electrical socket is likely to harm you is not a belief as such. It is a fact firmly based in laws of physics. 

Well, even in physics there are very few universal truths. Physics is essentially about modelling the world/universe and tweaking the parameters to the model fit with whats observed - the underlying assumptions behind the models are always revised, and sometimes turned on their heads. Take Newtons laws - these aren't really laws at all, they are what we Theoretical Physicists call "second order approximations". It's just much easier to verify and make probabilistic statements about some beliefs over others.

On the other hand somebody's belief that they are being moral by acting in a  immoral way is a simple culturally endorsed fallacy. Submitting to and acting according to whims of an external authority - a deity that observes us and ticks boxes is by definition immoral. Judgement is our own; that is what it means to be self-aware and entirely responsible for the choices we make: we never make them because we will get a "naughty tick" or a "nice tick" from an external observer. 

Well we have to be very careful when using words like 'immoral' - again, words that are so abstract are impossible to universally define.

Beliefs can and should be re-evaluated and changed if necessary. That is what personal progress is all about.

Right on! But that is a matter for the person who believes in whatever he or she believes. You cannot mandate him/her to revise his/her
    beliefs. An open and genuine attempt to engage with people and their beliefs is a much better way of challenging dogma...

I do not agree with your take on this.

Saying that a hijabi often does not have a real freedom of choice and that such choice is a mere mirage and that it actually obscures the fact that such a 'choice' is unfree is qualitatively neutral.
    Such a statement does not endorse that a hijabi should change her conduct; all it says is that she should be brave enough to see what really lies behind her 'choice'.
    Only when she sees the real behind the illusion can she really make a free choice - whatever that might be.

The point is that your beliefs, in another situation, may also force you to act or think in a certain way - another person could look at you and pity you for not having a freedom of choice...
     Reply #49 - April 27, 2011, 04:33 PM

The ban in France is seen as a campaign of delegitimisation and criminalisation of muslim life. If in the course of arguing with you, I slap you in the face, what's the first emotion you will likely feel?

I think there is good reason to criminalisize certain aspects of Muslim life, and I don't think we shouldn't be shy about it. It's tough love imo.

Apart from burkas, I think certain madrassas should be closed or regulated higher (that hand out books advising pushing homosexuals off cliffs, or where they teach division and separation from mainstream society), Sharia Law obviously needs banning, Sharia finance needs to go, certain Islamic channels need to be regulated with what they are, and I think even minarets where Muslims can agree they causes too much division in the UK should be stopped from being built further like in Switzerland. I understand this all sounds extremely harsh, and that it will hurt Muslims deep in their faith. But that is the problem with Islam = it makes Muslims have false sacredness (to Mohammed, to Allah, to some even who are really absorbed a cloth on their face), their minds are filled with false fear (that they'll burn in hell otherwise), there is a clear division in society (men must wear bears, women must cover up and be shy like good Muslim women), and there is false-grievances and false-hate too (the whole hate Israel/feel for the Palestinian false emotional attachement).

Yes, it's true that most muslims hold abhorrent views wrt to gender roles, but what needs to be done is outreach work which targets the communities and educates them about things like women's rights, gay rights, etc. You can't impose a cultural change - you need to convince people they really need it.

I've not seen this work against Islam unfortunately. It is too much of a mind virus. You're average moderate Muslim listens to Zakir Naik for example (well, less and less since he's been banned). I'm not saying there is no chance of reconciliation or reform, but when many Muslim in the UK threaten or like the Ramadhan Foundation openly expresses negativity to a Muslim girl in a pageant competition you have to ask yourself how long will it take for Muslims to finally adapt and reform? I think if the law can accelerate the change required then it is a good thing.
     Reply #50 - April 27, 2011, 11:23 PM

There are many different types of Muslims who experience Allah and interpret Quran in different ways hence their view towards Hijab or the Niqaab is going to differ significantly.
    In one side ultra-conservative and reactionary Salafi or tribalistic Deobandi interpretations and on the other side extremely progressive Sufi interpretations (a la Tailorite Sufism for example where veil becomes in itself completely immaterial and ceases to be a piece of clothing and becomes an idea).

Nevertheless a significant portion Muslims exhibit the same sort of in-group/out-group mentality as any other group that is fueled by tribalistic allegiance would. Consider the fact that Muslim women (this is a very much mainstream thing) are specifically forbidden from marrying partners outside of one's own group to the point that such a thing is seen as treason.

It is true that Muslims living in 'Western' countries are daily exposed to alternative world views but a lot see what they perceive as 'sinful Western hedonism' not as a legitimate alternative one could freely enjoy if one so wishes but as a threat.

Veiling in itself could be interpreted in different ways.

On one hand it signifies a belonging to a parochial Muslim 'community' - here the veiling cannot be a result of a 'free' choice even when the wearer claims that it is. Because it ignores the tremendous pressure of the social norms imposed on members of such 'community' to the point where such norms become completely internalized. Because after all Allah commands it.

On the other hand when a woman truly chooses wearing a veil - for example in order to realise their own spirituality the meaning of the veil changes. It becomes an expression of individuality rather than of the belonging to a specific community or trying to please a deity.

The difference here is a difference between Indian farmer 'choosing' to eat Indian food because that is a cultural norm and you or me deciding to have lunch at a local Indian restaurant.

Great post! Afro

You must be getting fed up of having to qualify your posts about free and non-free choices with this part ^^.   LOL

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »