Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CEMB Android/iPhone App

(Read 16133 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: CEMB Android/iPhone App
     Reply #60 - April 22, 2011, 06:07 PM

Forsooth it worketh now. parrot I'll say one thing for sat links: they go really well in the right conditions.

See wotcha think of the changes to the theme.

ETA: There have been css changes so you may need to clear your cache. And I haven't had time to mess with the profile template yet.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #61 - April 22, 2011, 06:49 PM

CSS is buggy Tongue Are you using an emulator to test this on? Emulators are usually better than the actual product making them fucking useless. Can you get any proper smartphones to test this on Os? I'd volunteer to help you test this but I'll be away on holiday until May. I'm sure there's plenty of others here to test it anyway.
     Reply #62 - April 22, 2011, 08:00 PM

CSS My crappy phone is buggy Tongue

Thank you for your detailed and informative bug report.  Tongue Tongue  Care to elaborate?  Roll Eyes

Reply #63 - April 23, 2011, 02:48 AM

Your crappy Tongue Two quick ones: the menu at the top doesn't float so it's still stretching across the screen. Above everyone's posts the thread name overlaps the username.

Anyway, I'm off on holiday so can't really test properly for you. Will do some proper testing when I'm back if you're still having issues.
     Reply #64 - April 23, 2011, 04:20 AM

Bloody hell. Does your phone do and css at all?

Reply #65 - April 23, 2011, 04:33 AM

It does, you just suck at it Tongue I'm surprised the floaty divs didn't work, smartphones are usually really good with Css. I never really had many problems when I was developing for the android and iphone. You could try testing the theme on safari and switch the useragent to iphone, see if that's buggy. It's what I mainly used. If not, get someone to volunteer as a lab rat.
     Reply #66 - April 23, 2011, 04:34 AM

I used Chrome, which has the same engine as Safari anyway. Bloody thing was perfect at the appropriate zoom levels and screen widths.

Reply #67 - April 23, 2011, 04:44 AM

Two more problems. There is still a lot of scrolling from side to side when you zoom in, are you using fixed widths? Also the templates are behaving funny and keeps forgetting that I'm using the mobile theme. You're not storing that information in the session are you? That's pretty much how its behaving.
     Reply #68 - April 23, 2011, 04:48 AM

I used Chrome, which has the same engine as Safari anyway. Bloody thing was perfect at the appropriate zoom levels and screen widths.

Fair enough. I'll see what I can help with after the holiday. I might still have access to an iphone at work so can also test on that if you need it.
     Reply #69 - April 23, 2011, 04:52 AM

Ok, so it's fine on Safari set to iPhone too. Go figure.

Reply #70 - April 23, 2011, 04:55 AM

Not using fixed width except for a couple of elements (avatar size, etc).

Reply #71 - April 23, 2011, 04:58 AM

Ah. I know where there are a couple of buggers. Can sort those.

ETA: Oh and if you're just using the link in the side column then yes, it is session-dependent. Could change the code to make it do a profile setting instead, but the basic link is just for the session.

Reply #72 - April 23, 2011, 05:20 AM

Aha! The BBC code box is breaking it on this page. The auto overflow isn't doing the biz. Safari/iPhone borks it because of the white-space: pre; css declaration for code boxes. It should hide that with the auto overflow but doesn't. Can change that.

Reply #73 - April 23, 2011, 05:23 AM

Why don't you just use cookies?

Anyway, I'll be boarding the plane soon so speak to you when I'm back. Bye!
     Reply #74 - April 23, 2011, 05:35 AM

What sort of cookies? I've used heaps of cookies. dance

Anyway laterz.

ETA: Figured it out. It's a Safari/iPhone bug. It wont deal with url's properly. Refuses to line break them no matter what you do with the css. It's the link in Reply#55 about a quarter of the way down this page that is screwing it up. I edited the link out of the post and it's fine on this page now. Unfortunately it means that anytime anyone posts a straight url anywhere it will bork iPhones. Thank you, Apple. You've done it again. Tongue

Reply #75 - April 23, 2011, 06:22 AM

dance dance dance dance dance parrot parrot parrot parrot bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny sloshed popcorn Punk victory cheers

banana dance banana dance  w00ty bananas!  banana dance banana dance

I think I have it sorted. It was a bloody mobile-specific meta tag. It should fit for width now and I should be able to adjust text size ok.

ETA: Hmm, still doesn't like url's when zoomed in though. :p Meh.

Reply #76 - April 24, 2011, 06:38 PM

Well done Os, that's much much more usable!
     Reply #77 - April 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

If you know anyone else who is having the same problems the meta tag is this one:

<meta name = "viewport" content = "initial-scale = 1.0">

• How is the default text size upon initial load now?
    • Do you still need to zoom in for legibility? If so, I should be able to tweak the default text size now. Just give me an idea of how much magnification it needs.
    • Also, does this particular page now fit the viewport for width? The reason I ask about this particular page is that it doesn't currently have any content that I know for sure will break layout.

Oh and I've sorted the overlap problems with thread title too I think, but haven't loaded that change to our server yet. Have it local though.

Reply #78 - April 24, 2011, 10:39 PM

Oh yeah, latest plan for next version is as follows:

Quote from: MSN convo (edited a bit)
    Me says:
     Oh Cylon numbers
     got it now
     anyway
     figured out a good layout for mobile theme
     bearing in mind that my bunch of nutters really want recent posts in a left column and shoutbox somewhere else
     and will grumble otherwise

She says:
     You haz pics/demo?

Me says:
     Not yet
     It crystallised while I was asleep last night
     Ok I've decided you are right about using absolute positioning for bars
     not enough space for fixed
     so I have two of them, one top and one bottom

She says:
     Sounds like a fair compromise

Me says:
     two 50% width anchor blocks in each bar
     left anchor calls out recent posts on left
     right anchor calls out shoutbox on right
     with the textarea at the top and shouts in desc order
     also
     since the panels are called by onclick
     the actual target of the bottom anchors gets set to the top ones
     so if you're at the bottom of the forum and call a panel
     you get sent straight to the top of it for the latest content

She says:
     nice

Me says:
     and easy to do to
     *too [/grammar Nazi]
     also
     header and footer of the actual theme index template bits
     are also 50% width anchors
     left anchor of both takes you to forum home page (board index)
     right anchor of both does the top/bottom thing
     so the whole thing is functional and logically consistent
     oh and of course this is all stacked for z-index
     bars are uppermost layer, recent next, shoutbox after that, forum at bottom

Reply #79 - April 25, 2011, 03:34 PM

Been messing around with it. Had enough for today. Seems to work. Will load soonish (sorta tomorrowish) so Peru can bitch about it. Tongue

Bar across top of screen expands/collapses portal side panel (shoutbox, etc).
    Drop menus for main menu bar open on click and stay open so you can pick the link you want.
    Tapping left side of theme header or footer takes you to the top of the main forum index.
    Tapping right side of header takes you to bottom of any page, right side of footer takes you to top.
    Sidebar menus in profile/messages/admin are better behaved now.
    Lotsa other shit too. Hopefuly the bloody thing will work on an actual phone. whistling2

Reply #80 - April 25, 2011, 06:27 PM

It looks pretty nice. But I don't know I've not used a phone to surf the net in like two years. Wating for the Iphone 5. But it's a good idea to evolve to knew platforms. 
     Reply #81 - April 25, 2011, 06:31 PM

Does the text not look abit small in those pictures? it's readable but seems like it'll give you eyestrain after a while, should have an option to increase the text, but I suppose that might screw the layout?
     Reply #82 - April 25, 2011, 06:55 PM

I'm on holiday, no bitching from me till I'm back Wink

The text is very readable at normal zoom now so no need to worry about that Smiley
     Reply #83 - April 25, 2011, 07:06 PM

Wow osman. Massive improvement. I didn't want to hurt your feelings before by saying that the mobile theme wasn't quite fit for purpose on my android. But now, before even looking around properly, I can see that most of my concerns have been addressed.

It's finally looking and feeling right. The text is all legible now, without zooming, and I've spotted a few handy features already. I'll use it for the next day or so and report any remaining problems.

I'd finish this post with a big thumbs up, but unfortunately smilies are missing from the quick reply box...

Hi
     Reply #84 - April 25, 2011, 07:11 PM

Forgot to say, 100% of the width is being used now...great job on that.

Hi
     Reply #85 - April 25, 2011, 07:21 PM

Awesome work. Looks great. Only thing left now is to automatically switch based on request.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #86 - April 25, 2011, 07:29 PM

Plus, improving recent posts...

Hi
     Reply #87 - April 25, 2011, 10:43 PM

Does the text not look abit small in those pictures? it's readable but seems like it'll give you eyestrain after a while, should have an option to increase the text, but I suppose that might screw the layout?

No, the layout is pretty tolerant of text size. In fact I have increased it over the current mobile theme, just to take account of possible variations in pixel pitch and eyesight. It still looks fine. I've been testing it down to 240 wide with a bit of zoom thrown in. Breaks then in a couple of places but nothing too nasty. It's still beta/rc anyway.

I'm on holiday, no bitching from me till I'm back Wink

The text is very readable at normal zoom now so no need to worry about that Smiley

Ok cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Wow osman. Massive improvement. I didn't want to hurt your feelings before by saying that the mobile theme wasn't quite fit for purpose on my android. But now, before even looking around properly, I can see that most of my concerns have been addressed.

Cheesy Bug reports don't hurt my feelings. They may make me grumble about bastards who make dodgey browsers, but they don't hurt my feelings. Debugging is normal.

See this? That's the new version of our software, which we'll probably be upgrading to shortly once a few more mods and things are available for it. I'm the poor bugger who was tasked with, among other things, making in work in LTR and RTL and in bloody IE6 as well as the other browsers. I'm used to bug reports. grin12
    It's just that in this case I was pretty much flying blind, and since nobody gave much feedback I assumed there wasn't any fixing needed.

It's finally looking and feeling right. The text is all legible now, without zooming, and I've spotted a few handy features already. I'll use it for the next day or so and report any remaining problems.

I'd finish this post with a big thumbs up, but unfortunately smilies are missing from the quick reply box...

Good point. I'll add them in. I left it basic before for quicker loading, but I'm not sure there is any significant penalty. I may also reinstate viewing of attachments.

Awesome work. Looks great. Only thing left now is to automatically switch based on request.

Thanks. TBH I'm not quite sure how to do that. I'm a gfx/template/css bloke and know bugger all about some of the guts of it. I'll ask some of the other teamies, or if somebody here wants to grab a downlaod and throw SMF on their local host to look at it that'd be cool too. I know which files the offending code is in.

Plus, improving recent posts...

In what ways?

Reply #88 - April 25, 2011, 10:58 PM

Smiley Wasn&#8217;t quite a Freudian slip, I needed a shortened version of your name because I struggle to type on my phone (I considered &#8216;Mr God&#8217; and &#8216;Mr Not Great&#8217;, but felt those could possibly cause offense).

Osman &#8211; The mobile theme solves many of the problems I was having on my Smartphone. I&#8217;m using a Samsung Galaxy S (Android) and I suspect that the problems I was having are specific to my phone:
    &#8226;   Firstly, the menu bar at the top was not fitting on the screen for the default theme &#8211; it had the effect of the left half my screen showing some of the menu bar, whilst the right contained the rest of the website. Some of the options (such as &#8216;Profile&#8217; and &#8216;Logout&#8217;) were also missing. Your mobile theme solves all of that and everything fits smuggle on my phone.
    &#8226;   I like many of the features on the mobile theme &#8211; the handy arrows at the top; the way not everything clutters your screen, unless you want it to; the way the text is folded within posts to save from expanding and scrolling.
    &#8226;   The shout box could not be seen at all from my phone. Now I have the option of seeing this (or not).
    &#8226;   Creating/Replying to posts is mush easier to use and seems much more stable. I was constantly frustrated by laboriously typing out posts and finding that they were refusing to send

However, the mobile theme does not have the feel of the website itself. I realise that this was necessary to accommodate the spatial problems you were trying to solve, but this does take some getting used to. In particular, the fact that &#8216;recent posts&#8217; are not shown on the left, but at the bottom (and less of them are shown &#8211; I realise you can click on &#8216;recent posts&#8217; to show more, but this again requires a little more navigation than in the default theme). Also, as far as I can tell, you can only see these &#8216;recent posts&#8217; if you click on the &#8216;Forum&#8217; tab and not from within a thread. This means that extra work (i.e. clicking) is needed to keep an eye on recent activity.

Muddy &#8211; What is a &#8216;cell&#8217;? Are you in prison again, young man?

I mentioned it above mate?

Hi
     Reply #89 - April 25, 2011, 11:06 PM

Ok cool. The thing with the menu bar splitting from the rest of the site is a Webkit glitch to do with floated divs (or is it lists. meh). Not hard to fix if I know to look for it. Seen it before elsewhere. I'll check the main site theme again in Webkit just to see if it happens on full desktop browsers.

Not sure why posts wouldn't send from the full theme as it uses the same posting code as the mobile theme. It may just be down to less marklup making things easier on the connection. No idea, really.

But yes, the latest version will sort the recent posts problem. I've also been going through the templates and increasing spacing between links to make them better for touch screen. It's not perfect everywhere yet but it's getting a lot better.

• Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »