Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CEMB Android/iPhone App

(Read 16132 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: CEMB Android/iPhone App
     Reply #30 - April 14, 2011, 04:43 PM

Just set the basic text size to 0.95em instead of 11px. See if that helps. Best I can do tonight. Off to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz soon.  Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #31 - April 14, 2011, 04:52 PM

I don't see any difference.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #32 - April 14, 2011, 04:53 PM

Ok. Will look at it later.

Reply #33 - April 14, 2011, 07:15 PM

Have you tried the mobile theme?

Hey, thanks for this tip! Still doesn't change the fact my thumbs are freaking huge, so yeh links are a nightmare to click, and while I'm typing this message, I can't see half the stuff I'm typing cause it goes off my screen...

I got a x10 mini pro so my screen is absolutely tiny, zooming really doesn't help in my case. Least the forum is set out properly on my phone I guess. But typing out messages on this is still pretty bad :(

Oh well, its good to know atleast osmanthus is trying to make it feasible using this forum on a smartphone I guess, thanks Smiley

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #34 - April 14, 2011, 11:13 PM

Looks like the problem is that Android doesn't read some standard css declarations. FFS. I thought these clowns were trying to make a decent, standards compliant app. If you Google "Android font size" you'll find all sorts of bitching all over the net.

Anyway it looks like it all has to be done in xml. http://mobile.tutsplus.com/tutorials/android/customize-android-fonts/

Reply #35 - April 14, 2011, 11:36 PM

You know what you can do? Instead of changing the font sizes, just divide the area in half. There is no need for two columns. The information on the right can go down below the text on the left. And you can remove unnecessary fields.Reducing header and footer to half the size might be difficult for you, but still well worth it.

and many others...
     Reply #36 - April 14, 2011, 11:40 PM

I used the mobile theme for this forum on a small Sony Ericsson phone a few months ago for a few days when I didn't have the internet. The screen resolution on my mobile was only 320 x 240.  I was impressed that I was able to do most things and even participate in the discussions.  The only thing I would prefer changed is the recent posts list -- I think it would be better if it was grouped by threads like the sidebar list is.  It seems to be a list of actual recent posts but without the content of the posts (just links).
    Just my 2 cents. parrot

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #37 - April 14, 2011, 11:45 PM

You know what you can do? Instead of changing the font sizes, just divide the area in half. There is no need for two columns. The information on the right can go down below the text on the left. And you can remove unnecessary fields.Reducing header and footer to half the size might be difficult for you, but still well worth it.

Not quite sure what you mean here.

Changing the markup is easy enough. To make this version of the theme (which was only ever intended as a beta anyway) I had to completely restructure a dozen of the primary templates from old-school-nested-tables-six-deep to something sane. Making adjustments to headers and footers is nothing.

Reply #38 - April 14, 2011, 11:46 PM

Oh and I think I'll simplify some things a bit, and also sprite what images are required. That should help.

I'll look at getting the Android declarations working too somehow. Might need to include a custom xml file. Bastards.

Reply #39 - April 14, 2011, 11:49 PM

Just add </tr><tr> tags between each column separation for now.

and many others...
     Reply #40 - April 14, 2011, 11:56 PM

You talking about the main forum index? That only has one table cell per board. The sections inside that (board name & description, last post, etc) are done with floated divs.

osmanthus thinks he really should go for a completely tableless index. They're easy but I was lazy at the time.

ETA: The div floated right should automatically go under the left div when the screen is narrow enough.

Reply #41 - April 15, 2011, 12:09 AM

Screenshot taken on Chrome at 207% zoom in a 430px wide window. Check the uber cool floaty divness. Wink

Reply #42 - April 15, 2011, 12:18 AM

Ah. I see what you're saying. The problem is on MessageIndex.template.php. I can sort that tonight. No problem.

ETA: Will check the unread posts templates as well as they probably have the same problem.

Reply #43 - April 15, 2011, 12:57 AM

Looks good.. do it..

By the way the image is not visible from mobile at the moment.

and many others...
     Reply #44 - April 15, 2011, 01:07 AM

Yeah I think I disabled viewing attachments on mobile. I can link it into a post like this though:

Reply #45 - April 15, 2011, 07:44 AM

Hey if you guys could let me know your screen widths in px, and the zoom ratio you have to use to make the text legible, that would help with troubleshooting.

Reply #46 - April 15, 2011, 12:14 PM

800 x 480 pixel resolution (480 is the width. Thats how I like to read. To watch videos, I use 800 as width)

Not sure much about zoom ratio. It keeps zooming to a certain point. It won't zoom out more then the width of the website.

and many others...
     Reply #47 - April 15, 2011, 03:54 PM

Hey there, my screen size on my smart phone is 240 x 320 (QVGA). My default zoom is at 100% but in order to read the text on this forum I scale it to 150% at the minimum, this causes the page to be absurdly long even in mobile theme and the reply box doesn't scale properly, so while I'm writing thhis response, I can only manage to see half of what I'm writing, unless I manually scroll which makes me have to select the box again.

Also if I am writing paragraphs that extend beyond the box size, theres no way of me scrolling up to my writing above cause theres no scroll bar on the reply box.

Reply #48 - April 15, 2011, 10:06 PM

That last one is a limitation of Android itself. Somone else ran into that problem. It's caused by the OS being set up for kinetic scrolling, as a result of which they have apparently disabled auto overflow on elements like textareas. Note that textareas have auto overflow by default as part of basic html standards. Android has overriden this, because they have kerfuckerated the primary scrollbar up the right side of the screen that normally scrolls the page for you, and this disabling of scrollbars is apparently carried down through all elements. There's nothing I can do about it at the moment.

However, Android may allow you to dynamically resize a textarea in the same way that FF and Webkit do. That would be your only option (if Android allows this). I can also modify the default height of any textareas, but I can't force Android to add scrollbars to them.

Reply #49 - April 15, 2011, 10:25 PM

Aaaaah bummer, well thanks for helping, I'll try what you suggested and see if anything works.

Reply #50 - April 15, 2011, 10:39 PM

If you want them taller by default that's an easy one for me to do. I just add some more rows to the textarea's html.

I think I've figured out how to do recent posts and the shoutbox too. I'm thinking of having two side columns: one left and one right. These would both be collapsible of course. Collapse/expand would be dealt with by a permanent bar fixed to the bottom of the screen, with a << Recent link/icon on on side and a Shoutbox >> link/icon on the other side. The z-indices would be staggered so that, when everything is showing, Recent Posts would be on top and the Shoutbox beneath that with the forum itself as the lowest layer. Of course the fixed bottom bar would be on top of the lot so that you can still access the collapse/expand functions.

I think this is going to be the best arrangement in practice.

Reply #51 - April 16, 2011, 04:21 PM

I think making the reply box taller and having less width would be the best way to go, as far as zooming and text size, that can be managed on my side of things. Thanks for all your work osmanthus.

Reply #52 - April 16, 2011, 10:45 PM

I have several other ideas too for improved layout and functionality. It may take me a while to implement them all, but I'll do a bit sometime today just to fix some of the worst glitches.

Reply #53 - April 17, 2011, 07:47 PM

i've got a blackberry, can you do anything for that  Roll Eyes
     Reply #54 - April 17, 2011, 09:30 PM

AFAIK Berbs was using the existing mobile theme on her Blackberry without any problems.

Reply #55 - April 22, 2011, 01:39 AM

Zelda: you can try the basic old wap2 interface if Blackberry wont handle a full theme. This is a very basic interface with bugger all user options, but it will do the trick if nothing else works. Fombles: with a 240 screen you may prefer the wap2 interface for the moment too.

The link for the wap2 is this one. Bookmark it, or you can just append wap2 to any forum url.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?action=forum;wap2

I've added a link to the wap2 interface in the Reminder Links block in the forum's left column, just above the Theme Changer block.

Wap2 link has also been added to the Welcome block at the top of the site's front page.

I've also made some changes to the mobile theme to make it more usable, but my sat link is playing up at the moment when I try to FTP files, so I'll load them a bit later.

Reply #56 - April 22, 2011, 07:34 AM

hey osman, would you code it so that it automatically pick mobile theme when requested from mobile? It is too much work to switch themes specially when on cell phone...

and many others...
     Reply #57 - April 22, 2011, 08:21 AM

Yeah I'll have a look at that. With the way the sat link is at the moment (storms n shit Tongue ) I don't want to try ftp'ing any critical forum files because it's likely to screw up. Will see if I can use a friend's link over the weekend if the weather stays crappy.

Just as a temporary measure I've added a link to the mobile theme in the Reminder Links block in the forum's left column, just above the Theme Changer block. That way you should be able to log in on the site default theme and then hit that link, and it'll set you to the mobile theme for that session. No need to screw around in your profile pages.

Reply #58 - April 22, 2011, 03:36 PM

Also if I am writing paragraphs that extend beyond the box size, theres no way of me scrolling up to my writing above cause theres no scroll bar on the reply box.

You can scroll inside those in Android (although it's not immediately clear). If you drag your finger downwards whilst inside the textarea it should scroll (same as scrolling in a normal page).

Just as a temporary measure I've added a link to the mobile theme in the Reminder Links block in the forum's left column, just above the Theme Changer block. That way you should be able to log in on the site default theme and then hit that link, and it'll set you to the mobile theme for that session. No need to screw around in your profile pages.

Might wanna test those. I'm getting template parse errors.
     Reply #59 - April 22, 2011, 05:52 PM

Yeah I know. Teh FTP was fuckered yesterday. Told ya so. Tongue

• Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »