Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: CEMB Android/iPhone App

(Read 16143 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • CEMB Android/iPhone App
     OP - April 13, 2011, 04:19 PM

Hey guys, sorry if this thread has been made before, everytime I click search it just takes me to the archives and my laptop doesn't seem to load them up...

As the title states, is there anybody in this forum thats capable of doing that? Basically porting the forum into a app, similar to those you find on the Android market with miniture forum browsers...

I dunno if I'm asking for much or if it is even possible, it would be more convinient for people like me who have shared computers and the internet browser on my phone is a right douche when it comes to posting :/

Thanks for reading!

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
  • Re: CEMB Android/iPhone App
     Reply #1 - April 13, 2011, 04:57 PM

bump

Hi
     Reply #2 - April 13, 2011, 06:18 PM

The site works fine on my iPhone.
     Reply #3 - April 13, 2011, 06:38 PM

Its not too bad on my galaxy android. But an app would help to out any problems.

Hi
     Reply #4 - April 13, 2011, 07:00 PM

Welcome back btw mate. Nice cruise?

Hi
     Reply #5 - April 13, 2011, 07:38 PM

Have you tried the mobile theme?

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #6 - April 13, 2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks godisgreat; that's much better  Smiley

Hi
     Reply #7 - April 13, 2011, 09:32 PM

^Freudian slip? sheikh

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #8 - April 13, 2011, 11:33 PM

Hey guys, sorry if this thread has been made before, everytime I click search it just takes me to the archives and my laptop doesn't seem to load them up...

Eh? Must be something to do with the touch screen not being big enough to hit the search link for this forum with your finger without also hitting the link to the archives in the drop menu.

Have you tried the mobile theme?

This. It's not perfect but should help. I'll do some more work on it sometime.

ETA - Other mobile theme topics:

Omega Mobile theme: questions... and Omega Mobile layout

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - April 14, 2011, 04:53 AM

I still use kinda blue from my cell, rather then omega mobile which doesn't serve the purpose at all.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #10 - April 14, 2011, 04:56 AM

Ok cool. So what's wrong with the mobile theme then? I don't use it on a smartphone myself (don't even own one as i have no use for it) so I had to make the theme just going off common sense and known screen sizes.

Reply #11 - April 14, 2011, 08:55 AM

^Freudian slip? sheikh

Smiley Wasn’t quite a Freudian slip, I needed a shortened version of your name because I struggle to type on my phone (I considered ‘Mr God’ and ‘Mr Not Great’, but felt those could possibly cause offense).

Osman – The mobile theme solves many of the problems I was having on my Smartphone. I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S (Android) and I suspect that the problems I was having are specific to my phone:
    •   Firstly, the menu bar at the top was not fitting on the screen for the default theme – it had the effect of the left half my screen showing some of the menu bar, whilst the right contained the rest of the website. Some of the options (such as ‘Profile’ and ‘Logout’) were also missing. Your mobile theme solves all of that and everything fits smuggle on my phone.
    •   I like many of the features on the mobile theme – the handy arrows at the top; the way not everything clutters your screen, unless you want it to; the way the text is folded within posts to save from expanding and scrolling.
    •   The shout box could not be seen at all from my phone. Now I have the option of seeing this (or not).
    •   Creating/Replying to posts is mush easier to use and seems much more stable. I was constantly frustrated by laboriously typing out posts and finding that they were refusing to send

However, the mobile theme does not have the feel of the website itself. I realise that this was necessary to accommodate the spatial problems you were trying to solve, but this does take some getting used to. In particular, the fact that ‘recent posts’ are not shown on the left, but at the bottom (and less of them are shown – I realise you can click on ‘recent posts’ to show more, but this again requires a little more navigation than in the default theme). Also, as far as I can tell, you can only see these ‘recent posts’ if you click on the ‘Forum’ tab and not from within a thread. This means that extra work (i.e. clicking) is needed to keep an eye on recent activity.

Muddy – What is a ‘cell’? Are you in prison again, young man?

Hi
     Reply #12 - April 14, 2011, 09:17 AM

Hmm. Well I could add a side column. Problem is that it will take up almost the entire screen width on most phones, but if it's collapsible like the one on the standard theme that may be useful. That way you could bring it out to check content, then collapse it when reading theads. I'd have to do it to overlay the forum when expanded though, otherwise it wouldn't fit.

Reply #13 - April 14, 2011, 09:30 AM

If you could try that, I'd be a big fan...

Most Android Smartphones are now getting 4 inch screens and can certainly handle what you are proposing. From what I hear, the iphone 5 ,looks set to have a 4 inch screen also. Its the way forward; so any modification you make will become ever more relevant to future forum users.

Thanks for listening  Afro

Hi
     Reply #14 - April 14, 2011, 09:47 AM

K I'll have a look at it over the weekend. Shouldn't be hard to arrange as I can mostly just nick the collapse/expand code for the existing sidebar.

If I get time I'll take a bit more of a look at some other details too. Feel free to make any suggestions you think might be useful. Afro

Reply #15 - April 14, 2011, 10:16 AM

Wasn't working for me but is now. Thanks, that's useful to have.

Hi
     Reply #16 - April 14, 2011, 10:19 AM

^^ Shit, that last post was supposed to be in the 'Quick Edit' thread...

Now, I wonder where the 'move post to different thread' icon is... Huh?

Hi
     Reply #17 - April 14, 2011, 10:22 AM

Cheesy Only staff have that option. Don't worry about it. As long as the edit is working it's cool.

Reply #18 - April 14, 2011, 01:26 PM

Looks like there is an app for Android and iphone, but it cost $2.96. It is client side app.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=379720.0

and many others...
     Reply #19 - April 14, 2011, 01:55 PM

So what's wrong with the mobile theme then?

Reply #20 - April 14, 2011, 02:27 PM

^^ I agree. The App is extremely generic, so won't be a fraction of the use that the mobile theme is.

Save your $2.99 mate.

Hi
     Reply #21 - April 14, 2011, 02:39 PM

So what's wrong with the mobile theme then?

You still have to drag through the whole screen to find the text, and zoom in/out to read the text. But the apps designed for smartphones (facebook for example) use minimum required screen space, and text is readable at default zoom level.

and many others...
     Reply #22 - April 14, 2011, 02:46 PM

Ok, the zoom thing is probably just a css problem. From memory I set the font size in px, and it probably should be set in em or % to deal with different phones.

When you say "drag through the whole screen to find the text", exactly what do you mean by that?

ETA: The reason I'm askling is because I also want something for people who do not necessarily have tapatalk, and even for those who do plan to have it I still would have to run quite a bit of testing first. Tapatalk was buggy earlier on and I would want to be sure we wouldn't be introducing problems with forum permissions, etc.

Reply #23 - April 14, 2011, 03:27 PM

The size of the content isn't a problem. On my phone the page loads at the same size as it does in regular theme, because of the headers. It does leave grey areas on both sides.
    If you can get rid of grey areas from both sides, it would be much better.
    Also I would apreciate if you switch the themes automatically when user logs in from cell and and desktop. You need to keeptrack of user's prefered skin on both cell and desktop.

and many others...
     Reply #24 - April 14, 2011, 03:31 PM

Ok. Grey areas sounds like you have a phone which has a lot more pixels across it than the iPhones, etc that were available when I first made this. I can take out the max-width on the css easily enough and see if that helps. I'll do it now.

For switching I'd have to add some extra detection but that should't be that hard to manage.

Reply #25 - April 14, 2011, 03:37 PM

CSS max-width is changed. I should probably install the Android IDE on my desktop. I did grab a copy but never bothered setting it up, since it's based on Eclipse and personally I find Eclipse to be an unwieldy bugger of a thing. Could be useful though.

Reply #26 - April 14, 2011, 04:25 PM

Cool.. Now grey areas are gone. But I still need to zoom to read the text. It is unreadable otherwise.
    By the way, I have HTC EVO 4G. I think it is the biggest screen cell phone available.

and many others...
     Reply #27 - April 14, 2011, 04:29 PM

'But I still need to zoom to read the text. It is unreadable otherwise'.

I have this issue too (though I never had the grey areas). But its not hard work to zoom in Muddy?

Hi
     Reply #28 - April 14, 2011, 04:33 PM

I'll figure out something for the text sizing problem.

Reply #29 - April 14, 2011, 04:34 PM

'But I still need to zoom to read the text. It is unreadable otherwise'.

I have this issue too (though I never had the grey areas). But its not hard work to zoom in Muddy?

No, its not hard work. Just don't see the point of having to zoom mobile theme rather then regular theme.
    May be a bit less data requirement, but I have unlimited high speed internet on it anyways..

I'll figure out something for the text sizing problem.

Thanks

and many others...
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »