Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: One request, one suggestion.

(Read 4379 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • One request, one suggestion.
     OP - April 29, 2011, 01:11 AM

First, I was wondering if it was at all possible to have my username changed. Second, I was wondering what the opinion would be on including a sticky thread in the Sanctuary for resources on how to become  independent, financially or generally, for those living in situations with uncomfortably devout parents or guardians. Maybe include stories of how other members went about doing it and links to budgeting and financial planning websites, cost of living calculators, etc. Maybe some regionally indicated resources for shelters and stuff when it gets too hard to live at home. It's just an idea that I'm tossing around, just wanted to post in case I forgot later.

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
  • Re: One request, one suggestion.
     Reply #1 - April 29, 2011, 02:21 AM

It's a common a situation for apostates. Too damn common. There are often people in the chat room with the same concerns. Nice words, sympathy and emotional support don't actually help in any practical way. So yeah, would be awesome to have the resources all in one place. I bet lots of people here have things they can add to it, links, helpline numbers, addresses, etc, for general social support stuff as well as stuff specific to their experience.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #2 - April 29, 2011, 02:33 AM

s
    s
     Reply #3 - April 29, 2011, 04:29 AM

I haven't been here long enough to conclude that the mods are lazy (something tells me they have other aspects of life to consider), why don't we get a group together and make it so that registered members can highlight topics of importance? If they rank highly enough, we can have a poll to sticky it. The mod(s) can make it so that we have the authority of doing so at one time. Or why not have a new crop of moderators from members who frequent the forum and are known for providing helpful insight into various problems?
    I dunno. Feedback is more than welcome.

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #4 - April 29, 2011, 06:53 PM

Mods are volunteers who run this place on our own time and expense. As has been mentioned in numerous threads, we're not here to babysit anyone, but to provide a spam-free, relatively safe space that the members can take and run with.

I think it's a great idea, and it's not the first time something like this has been discussed. There is a Resource forum here, with several sticky threads that could be useful to various people. However, I agree that financial skills are something most young people, and many older people, ex-muslim or not, could learn a lot more about.

So members, if you want to start threads (in the Resources forum or wherever else your topic fits) to collect specific types of resources, please do so. You can always recruit other members to chime in and if the thread becomes a repository for resources for financial management or other types of help/advice/supportive sites, just ask a mod to sticky it. Best way to bring a post or a thread to our attention is by clicking on "Report to Moderators".

Do remember though that the members here are spread across the planet, though most are in the UK. And each member has his or her unique situation with their family, finances, age, status etc. But yes, overall, it's a good idea to collect resources, say, like links to articles, encyclopediae or calculators for financial management, etc. that may apply to most people. Or have threads for regional issues, like student loans in England, or the credit system in the US, etc. This forum is largely user-driven, and we would love to see more members engage in more constructive and productive ways with newer members and each other.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #5 - April 29, 2011, 09:10 PM

What Allat said.

Bison: just for the novelty value, how about doing something constructive instead of just grumping?  Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #6 - April 29, 2011, 09:20 PM

Mods aren't lazy at all.
    CbyW, the internet is full of financial planning tips. But in brief, imo, go into higher education and get the best job possible (that is secure and pays well).
    Independence requires one to be just that: independent and not being spoon fed everything.

Apologies if that sounded harsh.

PS: living calculators: Start> Programs> Excel, or use google docs.
     Reply #7 - April 29, 2011, 10:28 PM

Wow, I had no idea. I thought the Resources forum was for scriptural evidence and articles. But I'll totally take it upon myself to follow through with my idea when I have the time. Thanks so much for your input.

Now about that name change...

Muhammad Ali
     Reply #8 - April 29, 2011, 10:35 PM

A bikini change is far more urgent, CbyW.

That high-cut tanga is so last century.
     Reply #9 - April 29, 2011, 10:36 PM

Yeah, go for it on resources content. The more input we have, the better.

I can do the name change now. What would you like it changed to?

Reply #10 - April 29, 2011, 11:06 PM

A bikini change is far more urgent, CbyW.

That high-cut tanga is so last century.

Vintage is in and my steez is on point.

@Osmanthus: I'd like it changed to "The Wyre", please and thank you.

Muhammad Ali
     Reply #11 - April 29, 2011, 11:42 PM

Sorted. Smiley

Reply #12 - April 30, 2011, 12:37 AM

Mods are volunteers who run this place on our own time and expense. As has been mentioned in numerous threads, we're not here to babysit anyone, but to provide a spam-free, relatively safe space that the members can take and run with.

MAB is just a self-important blowhard, pay no attention.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #13 - April 30, 2011, 07:07 PM

c
     Reply #14 - April 30, 2011, 07:12 PM

q
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »