Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Children as young as four to be educated in atheism

(Read 4238 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Children as young as four to be educated in atheism
     OP - March 30, 2011, 09:06 PM

School pupils aged just four are to be taught atheism in a move schools hope will equip them to be 'citizens of the world'.
    Education bosses in Blackburn with Darwen, Lancashire, have radically restructured the RE syllabus to accommodate non-religious beliefs.
    Youngsters will continue to learn about the six major faiths - Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism and Sikhism - but they will also be taught humanism, the belief that there is no God or Gods, and that moral values are founded on human nature and experience

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371084/Children-young-educated-atheism.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: Children as young as four to be educated in atheism
     Reply #1 - March 30, 2011, 09:07 PM

If this is true (daily mail) then good move.  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - March 30, 2011, 09:40 PM

What about Zionism? Kids need to be warned about the dangers of Zionism. And Free-Masonry.

Joke aside, this is pretty fucking cool.
     Reply #3 - March 30, 2011, 10:17 PM

nice one Smiley
     Reply #4 - March 30, 2011, 10:26 PM

Some Muslim parents will probably demand that their children be excempted from these classes on religious grounds just like they are excempted from music and gym. classes.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #5 - March 30, 2011, 10:29 PM

tell them to go back to kabul
     Reply #6 - March 30, 2011, 11:05 PM

School pupils aged just four are to be taught atheism in a move schools hope will equip them to be 'citizens of the world'.
    Education bosses in Blackburn with Darwen, Lancashire, have radically restructured the RE syllabus to accommodate non-religious beliefs.
    Youngsters will continue to learn about the six major faiths - Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism and Sikhism - but they will also be taught humanism, the belief that there is no God or Gods,  and that moral values are founded on human nature and experience

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371084/Children-young-educated-atheism.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Hmm...    More Dawkins Mutants from London??

So which is better? Atheism or Humanism  and what is the difference between the two??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - March 31, 2011, 08:05 AM

what about sned em back to raiwand in Punjab too?
     Reply #8 - March 31, 2011, 05:48 PM

excellent news.  Having religous education without mentioning athiesm is a bit like a geography class having a world map without africa on it

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #9 - March 31, 2011, 06:22 PM

I thought the best bit about this was that its in the heartland of wahhabi style mentality, the northern milltowns of Blackburn & Lancashire

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - March 31, 2011, 07:15 PM

its in the heartland of wahhabi style mentality, the northern milltowns of Blackburn & Lancashire

Paul Scholes lookalikes start commonsense fightback.

Twenty years too late, but who's counting?
     Reply #11 - April 01, 2011, 06:21 AM

Quote from: Pashtun link=topic=15278.msg42t0749#msg420749 date=1301558757
    what about sned em back to raiwand in Punjab too?

yep that too, lol, you took offense to me mentioning kabul?
     Reply #12 - April 01, 2011, 06:25 AM

Probably a good move to try and expose them to a wider set of ideas but it's a dangerous path to go down - humanism shouldn't become a dogma to be ranked against those other dogmas.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #13 - April 01, 2011, 06:27 AM

Its not being taught as a dogma imo, rather as a 'this is what some people believe', right?
     Reply #14 - April 01, 2011, 06:28 AM

Yes, but if it becomes the official doctrine of atheismTM then it is a dogma.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #15 - April 01, 2011, 07:11 AM

The only attribute shared between atheists is the lack of belief in god(s).  We shouldn't conflate this with particular worldviews.

Against the ruin of the world, there
    is only one defense: the creative act.

-- Kenneth Rexroth
     Reply #16 - April 01, 2011, 11:17 AM

Good news. Just the fact that children are exposed to a wide set of beliefs and values means that they are capable of growing up more open-minded...
     Reply #17 - April 03, 2011, 12:28 PM

How long would a lesson on Atheism last? Considering that, as some have already pointed out, it doesn't have a unified dogma as such (not yet, anyway).

You can teach about the basic tenants of Hinduism, Islam etc over multiple lessons. Discuss their beliefs, stories etc.

What can you teach about Atheists? Other than that they believe in no God.

...nor shall they encompass aught of His knowledge, except as He willeth...
     Reply #18 - April 03, 2011, 12:48 PM

How long would a lesson on Atheism last? Considering that, as some have already pointed out, it doesn't have a unified dogma as such (not yet, anyway).

You can teach about the basic tenants of Hinduism, Islam etc over multiple lessons. Discuss their beliefs, stories etc.

What can you teach about Atheists? Other than that they believe in no God.

Just like theism then, but with a God.

The subject is humanism, which is a very long subject like any other religion, particularly when you start speaking about its history & philosophy.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - April 03, 2011, 12:54 PM

Ok, so the lessons would be on "Humanism" as oppose to Atheism? And this would be taught in a religious education class? Is humanism a religion? Does it have a set of codified beliefs?

Reply #20 - April 03, 2011, 01:03 PM

Ok, so the lessons would be on "Humanism" as oppose to Atheism? And this would be taught in a religious education class? Is humanism a religion? 

Does it have a set of codified beliefs?

Not like Islam, its more a philosophy of life like Buddhism (like I believe it should be, given the changing nature of knowledge & environment we live in).  And I do think the versions of religions we have these days have been strongly affected & influenced by humanism more than anything else, perhaps even the original tachings, so its a very important subject to study.

So yes,  I think its only fair that it should be taught in classes given that its becoming more & more popular particulary in the West.  Unless you believe our kids should be forced to learn Islam & Christianity, and not about our personal philsophies in life? 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #21 - April 03, 2011, 01:20 PM

I'm just struggling to come to terms with what Humanism actually is. Most people would consider Buddhism to be a religion of sorts. It has a central figure, a set of beliefs etc. Humanism, as far as I am aware, is a philosophy which teaches a belief in primacy of human values. Many religious people would (perhaps erroneously) consider themselves Humanists too.

Bottom line. Humanism is not a religion and should not be taught as part of religious education. By all means, teach the philosophy, but it should not be treated or portrayed as a religion, because it isn't one, frankly.

Reply #22 - April 03, 2011, 01:34 PM

No, I wouldnt call humanism a religion.  I think it makes sense to change the name of RE classes, as previously ethics & morality was often drawn from religion.  Actually you could change the name to that, only problem with it is I would not be happy if Islam came under a subject talking about ethics. 

Anyhow lets not get hung up on the title for such classes, the point is its as important & as relevent to such subjects today, as Christianity or Islam was back then, which is why this R.E popped into the educations system in the first place. 

Either scrap the subject altogether, or make it useful & relevent, just dont waste our kids lives taching them about mythology & 7-headed serpeants.  There's already too much to learn that is actually useful!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #23 - April 03, 2011, 02:12 PM

In my RE classes most of what was discussed was regarding ethics, and which religion's followers had which ethics. It never occurred to me that non-religious people had ethics too, (I was young, okay?)... so I think it makes perfect sense to teach children what sort of ethics non-religious people have, and that you don't have to derive morals from a barbaric 7th century book, or the like.
     Reply #24 - April 03, 2011, 04:20 PM

Reply #25 - April 03, 2011, 05:14 PM

+1

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #26 - April 04, 2011, 04:27 PM

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »