Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: 1001inventions

(Read 1781 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 1001inventions
     OP - April 09, 2011, 06:16 PM

www.1001inventions.com/

Have you heard of this? It's new to me, and what do you think about it?
  • Re: 1001inventions
     Reply #1 - April 09, 2011, 06:20 PM

Yah seen a few videos on youtube about it, I think its good.
     Reply #2 - April 09, 2011, 06:52 PM

I saw this exhibit with my Arabic class. It was awesome!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1465830223&aid=2081487

Is your grammar defective? Just askin'.

"The wound is the place where the Light enters you." - Rumi

Reply #3 - April 09, 2011, 07:31 PM

Off topic but I love your avatar Mohammed Muhi.
     Reply #4 - April 09, 2011, 07:34 PM

I'm skeptical as to what it is actually showing because I once saw an exhibit about Indian inventions in regards to The history of Hinduism; Almost all of which were simply inventions created or patented in India or by Indians with very little connection to Hinduism itself, if any.
    So are these 'Muslim inventions' or 'Things from a place where muslims happen to be hanging around'?

The website doesn't seem to give details of whats actually being shown, so I can't confirm or deny the accuracy or lack there of.
     Reply #5 - April 09, 2011, 07:36 PM

More proselytizing.

The only thing that Islam has given the world is..... well..... Islam.

Reply #6 - April 09, 2011, 07:43 PM

Getting rather sick of the attention this shit is getting day in and day out, it's like other religions don't even exist anymore. I hate to see more ammunition being in the hands of the pride-filled average Muslim who can just quote this stuff right out of his/her ass.

"I measured the skies, now the shadows I measure,
    Sky-bound was the mind, earth-bound the body rests."
    [Kepler's epitaph]
     Reply #7 - April 09, 2011, 08:13 PM

After 9/11, there was a concerted effort made to counteract negative images of Islam by making a lot of hagiography and rose-tinted glasses programmes, exhibitions and stuff about 'the glory of Islam' and so on and so forth. This was born out of a good place, a desire to prove that Islam was not just about intolerance and narrow mindedness.

However, it meant that in some ways the image became even more distorted, because it didn't critically analyse aspects of Islamic history, and in cases like this, just becomes a form of soft-dawah. Instead of making Muslims learn about how at some points in history, lands where there were alot Muslims were influenced by other civilisations, as part of the normal ebb and flow of human ingenuity, discovery and intellectual energy and curiousity, thus teaching the interconnectedness of human civilisations, there is an impulse to project an idea of Islamic exceptionalism. It becomes dawah to also raise the self-esteem of Muslims in the west, but it also becomes a kind of celebration of a pax-Islamica. It makes of these 'discoveries' an exemplar of Islam, but it also marginalises in some ways other civilisations in doing so. There is also the issue that mighty_cats raises - how to ascribe these things to Islam, when they were discovered or pursued not because of Islam but in spite of it, just as Indians made civilisational achievments not because of Hinduism but because the conditions of the time in that place cultivated free enquiry. Just as the scientific discoveries of Europe were made inspite of Christianity and often in opposition to it.

I mean, just imagine the silliness of an exhibition exalting the science, inventions and achievments of Europe, and claiming it as an example of 'The Glory of Christianity"

Its kind of stupid, isn't it?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - April 09, 2011, 08:17 PM

Also, the two great continuous ancient civilisations of China and India who in the past made great contributions to human knowledge don't seem to need to project the same kind of self-esteem raising exhibitions and chest thumping - they're just getting on with the project of building their science and discovery up again, whilst it seems that the Ummah is stuck in self-pity and depression.

As someone here so memorably said, its like a 40 year old man who lives in his parents spare room, boasting about how he won a school debate when he was 13.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - April 09, 2011, 09:16 PM

More proselytizing.

The only thing that Islam has given the world is..... well..... Islam.

I find this statement impossible to disprove without equating Islam with Muslims/people from Muslim countries.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »