Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: AAA - Anime Addicts Anonymous

(Read 17245 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • AAA - Anime Addicts Anonymous
     OP - March 30, 2011, 10:44 PM

Embarrassed

So, in order to stay away for all that time from this place, I had to find something else to keep me amused, and ended up becoming addicted to Anime.

Anyone else love it?

So far to my grown up shame, I have watched every:

Bleach episode religiously, (and all the movies)
    Death Note,
    Elfen Lied (infact, new avatar, Lucy rocks),
    Blood +,
    Hitman reborn ( Cheesy ) ,
    Gunslinger girl (so sad),
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    Darker than Black
    Paranoia Agent
    Vampire Knight/ Knight Guilty
    Vampire Hunter D
    Ghost in a shell (all of them)
    Full Metal Alchemist

I have watched more, but I've watched so many its sort of blending in right now lol.

If anyone else has this addiction, then recommend me something as sad, and dark as Eflen Lied.

If you can't, at least admit your anime addiction so I don't look so sad.   Tongue

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: AAA - Anime Addicts Anonymous
     Reply #1 - March 30, 2011, 11:08 PM

Hadashi no Gen (Barefoot Gen)
    - Heartbreaking fact-based story about the effects of the Hiroshima bomb, as seen through the eyes of a young boy. the Schindler's List of anime. Based on the directors own experiences as a Hiroshima survivor.

Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies)
    - Another heartwrencher. About an orphaned boy and his little sister struggling to survive during WWII. Based on the semi-autobiographic novel by the same name. Pulls no punches.

And yeah, the epic Ghost in the Shell - Poetic reflection on identity and humanities relationship with technology. They pretty much remade this and called it The Matrix. Some of the most iconic scenes and set pieces in The Matrix are lifted straight from this animation, as well as some of the philosophy and a lot of the art direction. Also a great philosophical narrative on artificial intelligence and transhumanism. And one of the best opening credits of any movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA0EVZbnOW4

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #2 - March 30, 2011, 11:18 PM

I hadn't heard of the 1st yet, but Grave of the fireflies is on my list.  Just moved up the list based on the recommendation.

And yea, I remember reading that the Watchowski brothers said they were influenced by it.

Reply #3 - March 30, 2011, 11:19 PM

Anime or Hentai, Berbs?  whistling2

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #4 - March 30, 2011, 11:21 PM

Grin Billy, I think only Elfen Lied comes close to the hentai mark.

Although, is it wrong that sneak glimpses of Hentai do it for me?  Embarrassed

Reply #5 - March 30, 2011, 11:23 PM

Although, is it wrong that sneak glimpses of Hentai do it for me?

Just as long as it really is only sneak glimpses (30 seconds or less)  grin12

I think Kenan is a big anime fan, not so much into it myself.

God is Love.

Reply #6 - March 30, 2011, 11:26 PM

I hadn't heard of the 1st yet, but Grave of the fireflies is on my list.  Just moved up the list based on the recommendation.

Those are the saddest I can recommend. Not ashamed to admit I sobbed like a baby at both.

Reply #7 - March 30, 2011, 11:27 PM

Just as long as it really is only sneak glimpses (30 seconds or less)  grin12

I think Kenan is a big anime fan, not so much into it myself.

If that.  literally the time it takes me to flick to the group category on redtube.  I see Hentai in its own category, and then I'm gone.

You should try some anime, go Death Note or Elfen Lied.  These 2 kept me up through the night.

Shamefully, so did all 300 odd Bleach episodes.  

I learnt some Japanese in the process.  K'saaaa

Reply #8 - March 30, 2011, 11:28 PM

I definitely want to get into it. Everyone keeps saying I've got to watch Akira. I've seen Spirited Away and thought it was really strangely affecting.

God is Love.

Reply #9 - March 30, 2011, 11:34 PM

Also, have you seen Where The Wind Blows? Not anime, but if you like animation in general and want a good cry, there is no better.

IMDB: With the help of government-issued pamphlets, an elderly British couple build a shelter and prepare for an impending nuclear attack, unaware that times and the nature of war have changed from their romantic memories of World War II.

You can watch it on YouTube even: Part 1

Very, very sad though.

Reply #10 - March 30, 2011, 11:35 PM

Those are the saddest I can recommend. Not ashamed to admit I sobbed like a baby at both.

I've seen your posts enough to know, that if it made you cry, it will satisfy me.

I definitely want to get into it. Everyone keeps saying I've got to watch Akira. I've seen Spirited Away and thought it was really strangely affecting.

I love Spirited Away, it's something I get to watch with the kids and they love it too.  Along with Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika and Princess Mononoke.

You should listen to your friends, I saw Akira years ago.  And some bizarre anime called wicked city (in which I vividly remember some woman's snatch turning into a spiders mouth) and Lord of the Overfiend (in which the main star is raping some nurse, but his penis just keeps getting bigger and bigger, until it bursts through her, continues to grow and small penises start shooting out of the side and swallowing everyone, on every floor, as his penis got bigger and bigger.........that shit scarred me for life)

Reply #11 - March 30, 2011, 11:36 PM

I got teary at the end of GoTF, too.

Here's an excerpt from Roger Ebert's review:

"Grave of the Fireflies" is an emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation. Since the earliest days, most animated films have been "cartoons" for children and families. Recent animated features such as "The Lion King," "Princess Mononoke" and "The Iron Giant" have touched on more serious themes, and the "Toy Story" movies and classics like "Bambi" have had moments that moved some audience members to tears. But these films exist within safe confines; they inspire tears, but not grief. "Grave of the Fireflies" is a powerful dramatic film that happens to be animated, and I know what the critic Ernest Rister means when he compares it to "Schindler's List" and says, "It is the most profoundly human animated film I've ever seen."

It tells a simple story of survival. The boy and his sister must find a place to stay, and food to eat. In wartime their relatives are not kind or generous, and after their aunt sells their mother's kimonos for rice, she keeps a lot of the rice for herself. Eventually, Seita realizes it is time to leave. He has some money and can buy food--but soon there is no food to buy. His sister grows weaker. Their story is told not as melodrama, but simply, directly, in the neorealist tradition. And there is time for silence in it. One of the film's greatest gifts is its patience; shots are held so we can think about them, characters are glimpsed in private moments, atmosphere and nature are given time to establish themselves.

Yes, it's a cartoon, and the kids have eyes like saucers, but it belongs on any list of the greatest war films ever made.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #12 - March 30, 2011, 11:36 PM

Also, have you seen Where The Wind Blows? Not anime, but if you like animation in general and want a good cry, there is no better.

IMDB: With the help of government-issued pamphlets, an elderly British couple build a shelter and prepare for an impending nuclear attack, unaware that times and the nature of war have changed from their romantic memories of World War II.

You can watch it on YouTube even: Part 1

Thanks, will check it out.  The review on the IMDB link sounds good.  Afro

Reply #13 - March 30, 2011, 11:43 PM

I got teary at the end of GoTF, too.

Here's an excerpt from Roger Ebert's review:

Its all true. The power of animation as film and as an emotionally-charged storytelling artform should not be underestimated.
    Thanks, will check it out.  The review on the IMDB link sounds good.  Afro

Just to add, it is extremely sad, but it's also such sweet story.

Reply #14 - March 31, 2011, 12:22 AM

I used to watch Sailor Moon when I was in kindergarten, 2 ep.s and 2 movies from Pokemon when I was 8, dragon ball Z when I was 9. When was 11 or 12 I started to notice how stupid Japanese cartoons are. Weird fish eyes, spiky hair, choppy animation (and their mouths just open and close), those creepy "cute" mannerisms....and the dialogue! I fuckin' hate the way they talk. It sounds so lame and gay (no homophobe)

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #15 - March 31, 2011, 12:24 AM

I used to watch Sailor Moon when I was in kindergarten, 2 ep.s and 2 movies from Pokemon when I was 8, dragon ball Z when I was 9. When was 11 or 12 I started to notice how stupid Japanese cartoons are. Weird fish eyes, spiky hair, choppy animation (and their mouths just open and close), those creepy "cute" mannerisms....and the dialogue! I fuckin' hate the way they talk. It sounds so lame and gay (no homophobe)

WTF?  you watching dubbed or something?

Maybe watch some adult themed anime?

Reply #16 - March 31, 2011, 12:50 AM

Have you seen Animatrix, Berbs?

@moe
    Haters gonna hate
     Reply #17 - March 31, 2011, 12:54 AM

Yes, when it first came out, although a rewatch could be in order since I don't remember much of it lol.  Think I was high at the time.

Reply #18 - March 31, 2011, 01:51 AM

Black lagoon is one of my Favourites.

Paprika, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Howls Moving Castle are also good.

"In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks" - Henry Drummond
     Reply #19 - April 01, 2011, 03:56 PM

Black lagoon is one of my Favourites.

Paprika, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Howls Moving Castle are also good.

I'm doing it in order, so tonight it's Ishina's 1st recommendations.  However you have remined me that Tokyo Godfathers was on my list too  (the one I write in my head and usually forget).  I will check out some trailers to Black Lagoon and Perfect Blue as I've seen the other ones.

Reply #20 - April 01, 2011, 04:00 PM

Anime sucks.

fuck you
     Reply #21 - April 01, 2011, 04:01 PM

^ You suck sweaty balls.

Reply #22 - April 01, 2011, 04:05 PM

That does not refute my statement.

I don't see how people can enjoy this crap without huffing six cans of Scotchgard prior to viewing.

fuck you
     Reply #23 - April 01, 2011, 04:08 PM

That does not refute my statement.

I don't see how people can enjoy this crap without huffing six cans of Scotchgard prior to viewing.

(Clicky for piccy!)

See, your problem here, is that you are trying to compare anime to the crap baby anime you've probably watched.  That's like trying to compare LOTR to a cheap sinbad movie.

Watch some dark, adult anime.

Or die.  Tongue

Reply #24 - April 01, 2011, 04:11 PM

Saying anime sucks because you don't like Pokeman is like saying movies suck because you don't like Hannah Montana: The Movie.

Reply #25 - April 01, 2011, 04:12 PM

Saying anime sucks because you don't like Pokeman is like saying movies suck because you don't like Hannah Montana: The Movie.

^^ This is a much better example of what I was trying to say.  Grin

Reply #26 - April 01, 2011, 04:15 PM

The only anime I ever liked was Bacanno.
     Reply #27 - April 01, 2011, 04:16 PM

That's like trying to compare LOTR to a cheap sinbad movie.

I like Sinbad

If you'd spend more time watching QUALITY films like "Jingle All The Way", your tastes would be refined so that you would reject this japcrap animation.

Watch some dark, adult anime.

Or die.  Tongue

The choice is clear then

fuck you
     Reply #28 - April 01, 2011, 04:20 PM

Anime or Hentai, Berbs?  whistling2

Nothing wrong with either Wink
     Reply #29 - April 01, 2011, 04:25 PM

<snipped confession to having no taste>

The Japanese forgive you.   cool2

• 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »