Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: British Muslim who entered Miss Universe contest receives death threat

(Read 15877 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • British Muslim who entered Miss Universe contest receives death threat
     OP - March 20, 2011, 01:35 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/20/muslim-miss-universe-death-threat

Shanna Bukhari was subjected to a tide of online hate after entering the British heats of the beauty contest. Now she fears her life could be in danger

Huh? And they say your ethnic background doesn't disadvantage you....
  • Re: British Muslim who entered Miss Universe contest receives death threat
     Reply #1 - March 20, 2011, 01:44 PM

British Muslim ....

Ass holes., send these baboons to Arabian desert, King will take care of them

hey Beauty.. with brains..  She looks like that Indian Sharmila Tagore  Patuadi  in her prime..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - March 20, 2011, 01:49 PM

Ridiculous.. I really don't get why these 'online haters' don't just focus on getting their own morality up rather than going out and trying to teach others. They clearly haven't mastered it themselves yet.
     Reply #3 - March 20, 2011, 01:50 PM

She looks like my roommate, btw.
     Reply #4 - March 20, 2011, 03:23 PM

She looks like my roommate, btw.

So... in that case...where exactly do you live?

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves." - from Goethes Faust
    "Only the wisest and the stupidest men never change." - Confuzios
    "there is no religion of peace, only people who are peaceful while being religious."
     Reply #5 - March 20, 2011, 04:03 PM

She says:

"It has highlighted the divisions that exist, a lack of social integration, a lack of adhesion between white and coloured people, and this needs to be addressed,"

Well, I don't think its a question of white and 'coloured' people, I think she's missing the issue there completely.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - March 20, 2011, 04:19 PM

Well, I don't think its a question of white and 'coloured' people, I think she's missing the issue there completely.

+1

But if she was to criticize the predominant misogyny of mainstream Islam, its truth claims and all other bullshit it stands for, that would imply that there is something inherently wrong with mainstream Islam. That is something that she as a Muslim who believes that Islam simply is all about peace, love & rock n' roll simply cannot do.

Imo the quote below implies that misogyny is not something that is absolutely widespread in mainstream Islam.

Most of the negative comments have come from a minority of Muslim men. "I get people saying, 'you're not a Muslim' and 'you're using religion to get attention'.

Many of the comments are, she says, from individuals who want sharia law instead of a liberal democracy. "We simply live in a multicultural society where there are significant numbers of Muslims. Islam is about peace; abusing me is itself wrong in Islam."

Reply #7 - March 20, 2011, 04:57 PM

Bukhari, born in Blackburn, grew up in Lancashire and is no stranger to intolerance. When she was nine, she ended up in hospital after a man screaming racist abuse had thrown a brick at her, causing so much damage to her stomach that she suffered a blood clot and had to undergo surgery

does this really happen in Britain?! because i can't imagine it happening in the US (the authorities would rip the offender's balls off!)

After 9/11, I heard that Muslims in the US were subject to the the LEAST ill-treatment (by random crazies) compared to Britain/Australia/Canada.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #8 - March 20, 2011, 05:00 PM

and someone here posted a video of crazy british youth attacking a McDonald and throwing bricks at the glass (the McDonald had SouthEast Asians dining in).

again, such an incident would never happen in the US! the perpetrators would be gang-raped in prison for this!

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #9 - March 20, 2011, 05:15 PM

:/ does she have any moderate Muslim fans? How come you never here any of them supporting people like her. :(

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #10 - March 20, 2011, 05:58 PM

does this really happen in Britain?! because i can't imagine it happening in the US (the authorities would rip the offender's balls off!)

If it does it is extremely rare. Personally I have never heard of an incident of such severity before.

After 9/11, I heard that Muslims in the US were subject to the the LEAST ill-treatment (by random crazies) compared to Britain/Australia/Canada.

No idea. Haven't seen any stats on that.

and someone here posted a video of crazy british youth attacking a McDonald and throwing bricks at the glass (the McDonald had SouthEast Asians dining in).

You are probably referring to the video showing what happened during an EDL protest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdTEVzzr_s

Again this is a rare anomaly perpetrated by a bunch of crazies and not something that occurs frequently.
     Reply #11 - March 20, 2011, 06:05 PM

@ Kenan

i know it's rare, and i know it's perpetrated by crazies... the point is, the US authorities seem to be way tougher in handling hate crimes (and crimes in general).

i've never been to the UK, but I really felt at home in the US (actually I felt way better in the US than at home).

Reply #12 - March 20, 2011, 06:09 PM

Where did you stay in the US?

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #13 - March 20, 2011, 06:31 PM

Michigan, but I've been to a lot of places: Ann Arbor is where i lived, but i've been to (rural) Northern Michigan (although decidely republican, people up north were very nice) + Colorado/the ENTIRE West coast (except for Alaska)/DC/Boston/North Carolina (Asheville).

Except, for Asheville, North Carolina, Americans were nice everywhere I went. People weren't bad in Asheville, either, but I just sort of felt *invisible*, besides my stay was brief in Asheville, so I couldn't really judge it properly.

I've been to Canada too (Toronto/Niagara Falls), and i didn't like the people's attitude: they weren't rude, but there was an air of being unwelcome (at least compared to the situation in the US). In the US, I never felt like a foreigner. Never! (well, except at INS entry points).

Reply #14 - March 20, 2011, 06:42 PM

I've been to Canada too (Toronto/Niagara Falls), and i didn't like the people's attitude: they weren't rude, but there was an air of being unwelcome (at least compared to the situation in the US).

I find that hard to believe.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #15 - March 20, 2011, 06:53 PM

I've been to Canada too (Toronto/Niagara Falls), and i didn't like the people's attitude: they weren't rude, but there was an air of being unwelcome (at least compared to the situation in the US). In the US, I never felt like a foreigner. Never! (well, except at INS entry points).

What??  Toronto such a beautiful place and very nice people   No way??

well may  be debunker might have looked  like this   Cheesy

so Canadians were bit  wary and bunker felt unwelcome in Toronto   Cheesy

Reply #16 - March 20, 2011, 07:04 PM

@ yeezevee

why oh why are you acting like a piece of gum stuck to the soles of my shoes?... the more I walk all over you, the more you get stuck!

Reply #17 - March 20, 2011, 07:08 PM

Can't you believe Canadians can be less welcoming than Americans? are you Canadian, by any chance? Anyway, you can think of it as more of a compliment of the American people than it is criticism of the Canadians. 

Reply #18 - March 20, 2011, 07:09 PM

Oops wrong word there Debunker, let me correct it
    @ yeezevee

why oh why are you acting like a piece of gum stuck to the soles of my Ass?... the more I walk all over you, the more you get stuck!

Sorry debunker .. Now i will leave you alone..  

Reply #19 - March 20, 2011, 07:14 PM

can you even imagine how retarded you sound? and yet they give you a trophy!

Reply #20 - March 20, 2011, 07:23 PM

idk, i've had bricks thrown at me even when i was a muslim(though they were reasons more related to my race than religion)
     Reply #21 - March 20, 2011, 07:28 PM

where?! in the US?! what city/State?

Reply #22 - March 20, 2011, 07:39 PM

idk, i've had bricks thrown at me even when i was a muslim(though they were reasons more related to my race than religion)

seriously? what happened?
     Reply #23 - March 20, 2011, 10:44 PM

uh it was when i was like 15. i'd pissed of some bengali wankers for some reason i don't remember and they decided it was best to 'rush' me.

idk why you lot are so shocked, shit goes down all the time :/
     Reply #24 - March 21, 2011, 10:19 AM

So, in the US, Muslim Rima Fakih makes it as Miss USA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/c

... and in the UK, Shanna Bukhari is unable to progress in the contest. Shame really, but in a way shows how US Muslims are more integrated, I think.

She does not agree with David Cameron's speech last month in which he asserted that state multiculturalism in Britain had failed. She believes that more must be done to break down mistrust.

Sorry Shanna, you've experienced first hand what Islamic culture (via state multiculturalism) does to people. Native Brits have good reason not to trust such a culture or it's practices whether it is Sharia Law or Sharia Finance or just the way Muslim women have unequal status to Muslim men.
     Reply #25 - March 21, 2011, 10:24 AM

@ yeezevee

why oh why are you acting like a piece of gum stuck to the soles of my shoes?... the more I walk all over you, the more you get stuck!

can you even imagine how retarded you sound? and yet they give you a trophy!

they decided it was best to 'rush' me.

i c wot u did thar. l2tank
     Reply #26 - March 21, 2011, 10:37 AM

IMO, uk immigration is fucked up. Here in Pakistan, people are able to sponsor relatives upon relatives, many of whom can barely speak english or come from villages and have not even been to the cities of Pakistan. Then they raise their kids as if they were still living in chak mian wali or whichever village they come from.

In contrast the U.S's immigration requirements are much higher, only well educated, skilled people seem to be able to migrate.

No wonder UK immigrants find it harder to integrate.
     Reply #27 - March 21, 2011, 12:15 PM

Also, US has limited welfare with encourages integration a bit better.
     Reply #28 - March 21, 2011, 08:22 PM

She's competing in Miss Universe? Eh, I don't see it.

/shallowness
     Reply #29 - March 21, 2011, 08:26 PM

IMO, uk immigration is fucked up. Here in Pakistan, people are able to sponsor relatives upon relatives, many of whom can barely speak english or come from villages and have not even been to the cities of Pakistan. Then they raise their kids as if they were still living in chak mian wali or whichever village they come from.

In contrast the U.S's immigration requirements are much higher, only well educated, skilled people seem to be able to migrate.

No wonder UK immigrants find it harder to integrate.

Chain migration from Mirpur through arranged marriages to British Pakistani kids (I say kids because it often happens when they are barely out of their teens) and through cousin marriage is a major issue, especially in the towns and cities of the north of England.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »