Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy

(Read 31573 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy
     Reply #180 - March 20, 2011, 05:10 PM

grin12

PM me
     Reply #181 - March 20, 2011, 05:17 PM

Placebo effect in some cases have show to have a medical benefit.
     Reply #182 - March 20, 2011, 05:26 PM

Where did placebo come from?

Anyway, like MaB, I also believe in power of symbols or placebo, thought sometimes I don't think they are desirable. I am completely against marriage which apparently has some placebo effects... Is marriage like Pascal's Wager? How?

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #183 - March 20, 2011, 05:35 PM

grin12

PM me

Reply #184 - March 20, 2011, 05:42 PM

I thought we're both straight males? I only love you as a brother. What do you think about my idea of exclusive Ex-muslim forum in Rants?

Reply #185 - March 20, 2011, 05:45 PM

Of course brother I support you with any idea you come up with.

Reply #186 - March 20, 2011, 05:50 PM

I missed your support on the thread, that is now dying, despite being purely genius.

Reply #187 - March 20, 2011, 05:59 PM

Where did placebo come from?

Anyway, like MaB, I also believe in power of symbols or placebo, thought sometimes I don't think they are desirable. I am completely against marriage which apparently has some placebo effects... Is marriage like Pascal's Wager? How?

Placebo, rather then Pascals Wager, that is what I was trying to point out.
     Reply #188 - March 20, 2011, 06:06 PM

@Alex:

Here's an old video I watched about the Placebo effect. It's one of the Dawkins uncut interviews.

Nicholas Humphrey Interview (3/4) - Richard Dawkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpkLfs43FxE

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #189 - March 20, 2011, 06:37 PM

Long ass video ateapot, I watched it for 3 min and it seems that the shayateen agree with everything I've been saying here?
    Thanks anyway, as I have been wondering who this famous Dawkins guy is. Who is he?

Reply #190 - March 20, 2011, 06:47 PM

He is our God, he is the God of the atheists.
     Reply #191 - March 20, 2011, 07:12 PM

I can't believe I know nothing about our "god." When was he elevated to the status? Must be after my apostasy. I'll leave atheism if he is not convicted to life in maximum security prison for impersonating Buddha, by atheists, democratically.

Reply #192 - March 20, 2011, 07:29 PM

Have a wank over him, that should fix you up lad.
     Reply #193 - March 22, 2011, 04:19 AM

Reply #194 - March 22, 2011, 12:25 PM

What's "you-know-what", dear? I'm not sure you realize who you are talking to anymore. Remember Alex, grandpa?, he's the guy who always makes more sense than you do. Scary what age does to the biggest fan of Mark Twain. Alex does not need 'prossies' if that's your insinuation.

About men storming off when girlfriend starts nagging. It's all BS and you know you can't prove otherwise. Nagging sucks, no doubt, as it is not easy for different species to cohabit. But have you thought about  when people normally get married, you dimwit? Answer: when they decide that they are not gonna storm off after the first fight, when they decide they will put up with their partners bullshit for a long long time. (I am talking about "how things should be type of reality", because we all now that in 9 cases out of 10 it's after the girlfriend has pierced the condom. I won't go there as I don't believe you are ready for the real world.). So, marriage is then a consequence of such a decision (normally, due to what's normal in current societies) and not the reason for a stable relationship as you've implied. I have to underline words for you, because you're a bit slow, old man. There's absolutely no reason why people can not be mature and decide to stay together for better or worse without a ring.

Why are you so catholic? Divorce, by the way, is an option these days. I know you haven't tried it and subconscious regrets force you to put marriage on pedestal. Thus there's little hope for you. Did you know that we even have serial "marriers"  now?  I am sure you would detest the fools. Read news once in a while, grandpa. For now we will operate in your make-believe-reality.

Anyway, like you, I also believe in power of symbols, but if marriage prevents euthanasia of dysfunctional relationships - it's an argument against the institution. Kids or no kids. Who says little buggers need a daddy and a mommy who hate each other? Did Muhammad grow up in such a family? No, yet you know how well he turned out to be. My point is - you have no rational, substantial argument for the institution. So stop repeating your loony rants and show me the evidence.

Reply #195 - March 23, 2011, 03:20 AM

Reply #196 - March 23, 2011, 03:33 AM

Because you did not post on my greatest thread suggesting a revolution on CEMB!

Reply #197 - March 23, 2011, 03:39 AM

Reply #198 - March 23, 2011, 04:00 AM

LOL@technocrats, you think we're fooling anyone?

I know you posted little something something, brazzer, but what about the follow up, did I not offer you a position of my chief propagandist and insane amount of turk lirasi?

Reply #199 - March 23, 2011, 04:17 AM

Reply #200 - March 23, 2011, 04:19 AM

No, never, I assume, because I see it everywhere all the time Smiley

Reply #201 - March 23, 2011, 04:22 AM

I see.
     Reply #202 - March 23, 2011, 04:37 AM

You are an authority on P, of that I have no doubt. Now what about the useless institution you lovingly refer to as 'marriage'?

Reply #203 - March 23, 2011, 06:53 PM

Reply #204 - March 24, 2011, 03:49 AM

Do you know how many books have been written, Mounting Bison? Suffice it to say that the number is not something you can easily pronounce. Thus, why should I bother reading a book recommended by you - someone to whom I need to break down my arguments almost to an atomic level? Besides saying that the Meinecken guy was so cool, you could not even name one good quote from him. I'd be shocked to learn that you have read anything besides the short suras of the Koran, a couple of dozen articles on Wikipedia and an Extra Short Introduction to Philosophy For Extreme Dummies.

Reply #205 - March 25, 2011, 09:24 AM

Charming guy.
     Reply #206 - March 28, 2011, 04:25 AM

Those are pretty good reasons for me to pick up the books you recommended. Maybe make Alex more smarter. However, I did not ask for good reasons, you mental mentor. I asked "why I should listen to you". Pay attention, professor! Your reasons are worthless unless you have authority. And as you don't have it, guess what? Your "good reasons" are in fact worthless. Got that, hominem?

P.S. Aren't you a kurd, anyway?

Reply #207 - July 23, 2012, 11:41 PM

How did you figure that?

Don, I was glad to see that you're using Wikipedia. Keep it up - you may be surprised how little you know about life. Here's one example:

"However, placebos can also have a surprisingly positive effect on a patient who knows that the given treatment is without any active drug, as compared with a control group who knowingly did not get a placebo."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

That can't be right. So what its saying is if a person KNOWS that he is being given empty tablets that will have no effect on him, that will have a positive effect in improving his health? Wtf, that makes no sense. I bet this is vandalism/inaccurate/biased source.

How can my health be improved if I know that I'm getting empty tablets? I can at least understand how theoratically it can have a positive psychological effect if they think its real treatment, but how the fuck can knowing that its not treatment improve anything? That's impossible.

Right, so I just checked the wikipedia page again, and that tidbit is still there. Its linked to this study as reference:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3008733/?tool=pmcentrez

I read through that link and found this:

Patients were randomized to either open-label placebo pills presented as “placebo pills made of an inert substance, like sugar pills, that have been shown in clinical studies to produce significant improvement in IBS symptoms through mind-body self-healing processes” or no-treatment controls with the same quality of interaction with providers.

Then later on it goes to describe this:

Prior to randomization, patients from both groups met either a physician (AJL) or nurse-practitioner (EF) and were asked whether they had heard of the “placebo effect.” Assignment was determined by practitioner availability. The provider clearly explained that the placebo pill was an inactive (i.e., “inert”) substance like a sugar pill that contained no medication and then explained in an approximately fifteen minute a priori script the following “four discussion points:” 1) the placebo effect is powerful, 2) the body can automatically respond to taking placebo pills like Pavlov's dogs who salivated when they heard a bell, 3) a positive attitude helps but is not necessary, and 4) taking the pills faithfully is critical. Patients were told that half would be assigned to an open-label placebo group and the other half to a no-treatment control group. Our rationale had a positive framing with the aim of optimizing placebo response.

Then:

Patients randomized to the open-label placebo group were given a typical prescription medicine bottle of placebo pills with a label clearly marked “placebo pills” “take 2 pills twice daily.” <snip> Patients in the no treatment arm were reminded of the importance of the control arm.

SO, both groups are told that the pill will be inert, however both groups are told by authority figures, i.e doctors, that placebo effect is very powerful and can cure them, etc, while not being told any of the problems with placebo. Isn't that basically the same as telling them, this pill is very powerful?

Then furthermore, one of the group is given the placebo pills, and the other group is given no treatment whatsoever. Then surprisingly, when the group who was given the pills shows more improvement over the other, they claim that it shows that 'placebo without deception' works, when in fact, what they showed is that they showed improvement VS the group which got no treatment whatsoever.

patients treated with open-label placebo had significantly greater scores than the no-treatment control on the main outcome measure

Seems like a very biased study, and unrelated to the point made in this thread, which is that even when you think that the treatment is laughable, placebo could still work.

Yeah an I am super ugly, I can't even beat my chest am too skinny and when I roaaar to attract women, they laugh at me, because it sounds like a girl screaming. I can't even attract any bitches!  Cry

• Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7« Previous thread | Next thread »