Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy

(Read 31553 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy
     Reply #150 - March 19, 2011, 03:08 PM

The placebo effect doesn't work for cancer, infections and such.

As far as we know.

How big do you think the sample group should be for you to be positive that placebo effect happens when people know they're getting fake medicine? I'm completely fine with 80 people.

Btw, you mind telling donnie how you found the study - I think he could use the skill  Wink

I probably would have looked at the footnote from the Wikipedia quote I linked Smiley

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #151 - March 19, 2011, 03:14 PM

Btw, you mind telling donnie how you found the study - I think he could use the skill  Wink

I probably would have looked at the footnote from the Wikipedia quote I linked Smiley

Your study was about people being told that the pills they are taking is useless. This study is about people being told that the pills have been tested and are very powerful. Get your story right my nigga.
     Reply #152 - March 19, 2011, 03:32 PM

Donnie, I will tell you about footnotes. If you go the link I provided and find the quote (it's right in the beginning of the article), then you will see a little number on top of the line following it. Then you go to the bottom of the page and find the same number under "references". This is what you will discover next to the number:

"^ a b Kaptchuk TJ, Friedlander E, Kelley JM, et al. (2010). "Placebos without deception: a randomized controlled trial in irritable bowel syndrome". PLoS ONE 5 (12): e15591. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0015591"

Cool, huh?

(I will teach you about inappropriateness of racist language some other time, bro)

Reply #153 - March 19, 2011, 03:36 PM

Question of the day: homeopathics can not have any effect that placebicals can't. True or false? 

Reply #154 - March 19, 2011, 03:43 PM

"^ a b Kaptchuk TJ, Friedlander E, Kelley JM, et al. (2010). "Placebos without deception: a randomized controlled trial in irritable bowel syndrome". PLoS ONE 5 (12): e15591. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0015591"

Grb said that those patients were told that the pill could heal them. You said they were told that it was inert. L2read.

(I will teach you about inappropriateness of racist language some other time, bro)

Besides, you're not black, are you?
     Reply #155 - March 19, 2011, 08:42 PM

Reply #156 - March 19, 2011, 08:50 PM

Reply #157 - March 19, 2011, 09:18 PM

Cats, u mad? What does that have to do with my thread? Quit trolling.

Donatelo, I said nothing, you illiterate asian, I quoted Wikipedia, for the 100th time. Seems very obvious that both my example and GRB's rambling clearly refer to the same studies. Figure it out - your exercise for the day.

MaB, I remember reading your ramblings about importance of marriage. I don't remember seeing anything right in it.

Reply #158 - March 19, 2011, 09:27 PM

They don't refer to the same studies for the following reason:
    Grb said that those patients were told that the pill could heal them. You said they were told that it was inert. L2read.

Any more trolling and I start trolling again. P.S why didn't you login on maxwell today?
     Reply #159 - March 19, 2011, 09:35 PM

Don,

It's still wrong the second time you say it. Stop putting words in my mouth and show a quote where I have said such nonsense.

You mean you haven't been trolling all the time?

Mab,

Just so you don't get a wrong idea that I don't love you any more, I will show you one example of our differences.

Random point from above linked post: You believe that marriages save relationships that would have ended in case there was no ring.

Then you present it as an argument for marriage, while I consider it a clear argument against it. How can we agree?

Reply #160 - March 19, 2011, 10:18 PM

"However, placebos can also have a surprisingly positive effect on a patient who knows that the given treatment is without any active drug, as compared with a control group who knowingly did not get a placebo."

Whether it was you who said this or wikipedia is just arguing semantics, you know what I mean.
     Reply #161 - March 19, 2011, 10:28 PM

Of course I know what you mean, but that doesn't mean I don't get tired of correcting your mistakes. If you only paid more attention, I wouldn't have to waste time telling you that you misunderstood something.  Take your own advice and L2read

Is it placebo if doctor tells one it's placebo?

Reply #162 - March 19, 2011, 11:50 PM

Reply #163 - March 20, 2011, 12:38 AM

As far as we know.

How big do you think the sample group should be for you to be positive that placebo effect happens when people know they're getting fake medicine? I'm completely fine with 80 people.

We know it for a fact that placebo doesn't effect infections. The placebo effect is good, but it has its limitations.

I found the study in my reading list today, I guess someone else found about it before me and posted it on Wikipedia.

I think you're confused, the patients were told that the pills they're taking are useless sugar pills, but they told them about the placebo effect and how it works. The whole point of the study was to see if the placebo effect will work when the patients know about it.
     Reply #164 - March 20, 2011, 12:50 AM

^ I tried reasoning as well with brother don - I need a break now Smiley

Reply #165 - March 20, 2011, 01:53 AM

I saw that.
     Reply #166 - March 20, 2011, 02:23 AM

Mountain Bison,

True, I was primarily concerned with Adam and Hawaa. But, where is your proof of what is better for their childrenz? I say if a couple is not pushed into reconciliation by the fact that they have children, then fuck the in-laws keeping such a crappy family formally intact and under one roof. The children and the parents are probably better of with such parents separated.

The reaction to the red knickers will have a lot more to do with personalities and filosofies  of the couple in question than any state/church approved piece of paper or a talisman from Lord of the Rings, you silly vegetarian.

Refudiated again, aren't you?

Reply #167 - March 20, 2011, 03:43 AM

Besides, you're not black, are you?

Is it not enough to be simply human, turtle?

What difference would my color make?

Reply #168 - March 20, 2011, 02:36 PM

Change that back dude, I want that hentai vagina back.

I think you're confused, the patients were told that the pills they're taking are useless sugar pills, but they told them about the placebo effect and how it works. The whole point of the study was to see if the placebo effect will work when the patients know about it.

Oh, I get it now. But did these patients actually experience any physical improvement, or was it just 'feeling' better psychologically?

What difference would my color make?

Because if you aren't black, you have no valid objection for me talking to you in ghetto speak.

Reply #169 - March 20, 2011, 03:54 PM

If I am not black, then I have no valid objection to ghetto speak. Should that be the case? Is that what you think? Would it be the same if my wife and my children were black, L2PK? Should I still feel just fine with:
    Get your story right my nigga.

Reply #170 - March 20, 2011, 03:57 PM

Well yea because I'm not saying that to your wife or kids, am I?
     Reply #171 - March 20, 2011, 04:04 PM

Interesting: I should not care if you say something that would be offensive to my wife. Also I should react differently to your words based on your my color. If that is not the root of racism, I don't know what is.

As I suspected, you didn't answer the second question: Why is it not enough to be human?

Reply #172 - March 20, 2011, 04:07 PM

It would be offensive to your wife if she's black and I used that word directed at her. FYI, nigga is used commonly among people of all races to refer to each other, but its rude only if you say that to a black person and you're not black yourself. Nigga is not the same as the other 'n' word. That's what my ex g/f, who was black, told me.

Now where are you from?
     Reply #173 - March 20, 2011, 04:15 PM

I am from former USSR - it's been said in my intro in intro section.

So you're saying we should to speak differently to people of different colors? I've heard the theory before, but I believe that if we are truly not racist then we should speak to /treat all people the same. But that's just my crazy idea.

Reply #174 - March 20, 2011, 04:20 PM

So you're saying we should to speak differently to people of different colors?

Only when out of respect.

I am from former USSR - it's been said in my intro in intro section.

No, your intro was you saying you had a dream about ahmad2010. Or do you mean your other intro, the one you posted on maxwell?
     Reply #175 - March 20, 2011, 04:31 PM

Sorry to hear that you still didn't get over the dream. I swear, had I thought that ahmad2010 was your other identity, which you needed to explain your frequenting of the forum in case of being discovered, I would have not debunked you.

Why is "intro section" confusing to you? This thread is in "Miscellaneous", go to "Forum" then "Introductions"...

----------

"We should treat people of different colors differently only out of respect" LOL
    Like I said, I have my own "crazy" ideas of what racism is and you are certainly free to fit under the label.

Reply #176 - March 20, 2011, 04:41 PM

Sorry to hear that you still didn't get over the dream. I swear, had I thought that ahmad2010 was your other identity, which you needed to explain your frequenting of the forum in case of being discovered, I would have not debunked you.

By the way, you seemed rather suicidal on maxwell earlier, how're you feeling now?
     Reply #177 - March 20, 2011, 04:49 PM

u mad? sorry, i am not familiar with max yet.

Reply #178 - March 20, 2011, 04:51 PM

I respect you man, you're one of the few good trolls I've met.
     Reply #179 - March 20, 2011, 05:08 PM

love u2

• Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »