Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Yesterday at 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
Yesterday at 07:16 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 07, 2024, 07:55 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 04, 2024, 07:58 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy

(Read 32819 times)
  • 12 3 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Pascal's Wager and homeopathy
     OP - March 17, 2011, 02:27 AM

It seems to me that Pascal's Wager doesn't need a short introduction for the members of this forum. I have seen the nonsense mentioned here a few times myself during my short stay. Despite being a laughable idea, I think it offers a lot of insight into human nature. Everybody who is slightly honest with themselves (in my estimate about 6 members of the forum) know that similar reasoning held them back at least a week or a year from declaring their apostasy to the cyber-world.

I believe in (real) medicine, tested by science, approved by hospitals. However, when I fear that I may get a cold I buy some echinacea extract and homeopathic pills that have 2X amount of active ingredient. As far as I know, 2X is another word for 'magic nothing' and the pills are made of useless water and glucose. I laugh at quackeries like religion or homeopathy if someone mentions them to me, then why do I still waste my time and money on 'natural medicine' or whatever they call it?

Similarly to Pascal's Wager, I reason that it won't hurt but it could help, so why not? Does it help - I'm not sure. Could it be psychological placebo-effect? Maybe, but so what, if it helps?

Have you tried echinacea to strengthen your immune system, despite being almost certain that it is bullshit? What about homeopathy?

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
  • Re: Pascal's Wager and homeopathy
     Reply #1 - March 17, 2011, 02:40 AM

I believe in (real) medicine, tested by science, approved by hospitals. However, when I fear that I may get a cold I buy some echinacea extract and homeopathic pills that have 2X amount of active ingredient.

Well then, that shows either that you don't actually believe in real science, or that you're a dumbass.
     Reply #2 - March 17, 2011, 02:41 AM

^cool story, bro

Reply #3 - March 17, 2011, 02:42 AM

Well then, that shows either that you don't actually believe in real science, or that you're a dumbass.

What science is there, besides 'real science', ahmed?

Reply #4 - March 17, 2011, 02:44 AM

Well maxwell, if you try homeopathic medicine despite knowing that its not been tested, peer reviewed, or approved by the scientific community, you don't believe in science/the scientific method despite claiming to do so.
     Reply #5 - March 17, 2011, 02:51 AM

I couldn't care less what you think I believe. All I want to know from your intelctual-ass is what kind of science is there other than real? Have you not been wearing a turban for too long?, the hot sun of Sindh must have overheated your tiny brain. Stay inside, bro, stay inside. And away from computers.
     thnkyu

Reply #6 - March 17, 2011, 02:55 AM

There's no science other than real science, which you don't seem to follow. Also, nice try with the ad hominems.
     Reply #7 - March 17, 2011, 03:05 AM

The easiest comeback for you, if you had any functioning gray matter, would have been 'pseudo-science'. And if you want to see a real ad hominem, then you only need to find a mirror. I don't bother with logical fallacies like yourself.

Reply #8 - March 17, 2011, 04:07 AM

Pseudo science isn't science anymore than islamic miracles in the quran are science.
     Reply #9 - March 17, 2011, 04:12 AM

Well just because something is labeled natural medicine dosnt mean it isn't effective or that it hasn't been tested. There are studies that show certain natural or herbal medicine that some of them are effective and some have been used for hundreds of years to heal. The problem is quakes who claim to heal all this other BS or like u said homeopaths. Natural medicine is not the problem it's the lack of studies testing them.

On a side note I read this book 13 things that don't make sense and he basically said if the placebo effect helps a person symptoms then why is it a placebo and not treated as treatment? If the end gets the results you want for your health shouldn't it be ok? Why do we look so negatively on the placebo effect?
     Reply #10 - March 17, 2011, 08:55 AM

Agree with supermario. There are many things that aren't put into scientific tests, but they are a result of thousands of years of experience. So it might not work, but it might very well work too. And yes, I take a few of homeopathic stuff to boast my immune system. Also Calendula is best to heal cuts and wounds, much faster then any other.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #11 - March 17, 2011, 09:07 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7857349/Doctors-call-for-homeopathy-ban.html
     Reply #12 - March 17, 2011, 09:10 AM

Btw, does anyone know what homeopathy actually is?

Its taking the germs that cause a disease, putting them in water and giving them away as pills.

And this can help you how?

Seriously.. we're supposed to be skeptics here... this kind of gullability would be expected from a muslim/christian.
     Reply #13 - March 17, 2011, 09:13 AM

Because homeopathy actually treat a lot of stuff for very little money, which doctors and pharmacists charge a fortune for.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #14 - March 17, 2011, 09:16 AM

And yes, I take a few of homeopathic stuff to boast my immune system.

So do I.   I drink water every day.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #15 - March 17, 2011, 09:17 AM

Because homeopathy actually treat a lot of stuff for very little money, which doctors and pharmacists charge a fortune for.

Reply #16 - March 17, 2011, 09:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0W7Jbc_Vhw

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #17 - March 17, 2011, 09:49 AM

On a side note I read this book 13 things that don't make sense and he basically said if the placebo effect helps a person symptoms then why is it a placebo and not treated as treatment? If the end gets the results you want for your health shouldn't it be ok? Why do we look so negatively on the placebo effect?

Well whoever  that "He' is., he should have known that the moment the patient knows the treatement is nothing but placebo, then iy is no more placebo and it will not work. That is the key to placebo effect, A psychological effect..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #18 - March 17, 2011, 09:53 AM

^ I know your secret, dear yahoodi. You're indian Smiley
     Reply #19 - March 17, 2011, 10:11 AM

^ I know your secret, dear yahoodi. You're indian Smiley

yes i am Dante., and  I am braham from India.. Dante is a better nick for you Don.. donatelo.  and i am    Looking for Veena  malik of Pakistan in India..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxH1IoMU-8o

Reply #20 - March 17, 2011, 10:24 AM

Cheesy But its true, I found an old post on FFI where you told someone you're from India. So the secret is out now!
     Reply #21 - March 17, 2011, 10:32 AM

Cheesy But its true, I found an old post on FFI where you told someone you're from India. So the secret is out now!

You did??   holly cow,  You are terrific.,

did you read all of the posts??  there are three forums in FFI., two old ones and one new...

Dante  here are the links for you from there on "yeezevee"

http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum2/search.php?search_author=yeezevee  
    http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/search.php?search_author=yeezevee
    http://forum09.faithfreedom.org/search.php?author_id=195&sr=posts

Life is a open book Dante

Reply #22 - March 17, 2011, 10:35 AM

I didn't look through all of your 11000 posts lol, i randomly came across a thread on ffi after googling something, where a guy called you his 'indian friend' and you said 'how did you know i'm indian'.Tongue
     Reply #23 - March 17, 2011, 10:39 AM

It seems to me that Pascal's Wager doesn't need a short introduction for the members of this forum. I have seen the nonsense mentioned here a few times myself during my short stay. Despite being a laughable idea, I think it offers a lot of insight into human nature. Everybody who is slightly honest with themselves (in my estimate about 6 members of the forum) know that similar reasoning held them back at least a week or a year from declaring their apostasy to the cyber-world.

I ain't fond of homeopathy.  I think it's complete bullshit but I won't stop anyone taking it.  That would be illiberal.  Just keep it to yourself and out of public policy.  Also, I reserve the right to ridicule and criticise homeopathy and those who take it.

Regarding the psychology behind the placebo effect (cf pascal's wager), the answer yet again lies in evolutionary psychology.  It seems we evolved this bias from our days when we had predators to fear and we couldn't afford to take any chances when we sensed danger.  Those who took chances were wiped out from the gene pool.

See this nice short article on the subject:
    http://aminotes.tumblr.com/post/528057588/why-do-we-believe-in-god-we-are-religious-because

I believe in (real) medicine, tested by science, approved by hospitals. However, when I fear that I may get a cold I buy some echinacea extract and homeopathic pills that have 2X amount of active ingredient. As far as I know, 2X is another word for 'magic nothing' and the pills are made of useless water and glucose. I laugh at quackeries like religion or homeopathy if someone mentions them to me, then why do I still waste my time and money on 'natural medicine' or whatever they call it?

Similarly to Pascal's Wager, I reason that it won't hurt but it could help, so why not? Does it help - I'm not sure. Could it be psychological placebo-effect? Maybe, but so what, if it helps?

Have you tried echinacea to strengthen your immune system, despite being almost certain that it is bullshit? What about homeopathy?

To be honest, since becoming an atheist, I can't see even the placebo effect working on me.  Maybe one day I will wish I could fool my brain into thinking it is being cured, if I get cancer or something -- to at least stop me from getting too depressed.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #24 - March 17, 2011, 10:42 AM

I didn't look through all of your 11000 posts lol, i randomly came across a thread on ffi after googling something, where a guy called you his 'indian friend' and you said 'how did you know i'm indian'.Tongue

well you should read through all., but  only 11000??   there should be more Dante.  yes i am an Indian friend dante

Reply #25 - March 17, 2011, 10:47 AM

To be honest, since becoming an atheist, I can't see even the placebo effect working on me.  Maybe one day I will wish I could fool my brain into thinking it is being cured, if I get cancer or something -- to at least stop me from getting too depressed.

no..no.. placebo effect is nothing to do with atheism ateapotist.,

the moment the person  knows  that "it is placebo that s/he taking as medicine" the  placebo effect is gone.

Reply #26 - March 17, 2011, 10:48 AM

well you should read through all., but  only 11000??   there should be more Dante.  yes i am an Indian friend dante

Cool, which part of india may I ask? You sound like you're from delhi or calcutta
     Reply #27 - March 17, 2011, 10:56 AM

Sounds to me like he's from Madras or Utter Pradesh

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #28 - March 17, 2011, 10:58 AM

Cool, which part of india may I ask? You sound like you're from delhi or calcutta

No single place dante., I travel between calcutta and delhi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQii1L8fGk

Reply #29 - March 17, 2011, 11:00 AM

I thought yeezeevee was an Indian or Pakistani who lived in America.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• 12 3 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »