Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Introdcution of an old member

(Read 3602 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Introdcution of an old member
     OP - March 06, 2011, 02:51 PM

I've been frequenting this forum for a long time but have never formally introduced myself on the behest of Q-Man.

I guess I'll start with my journey to this website and that story starts with my apostasy from Christianity.

I was looking for videos on YouTube to learn more about Christianity. What I found or to be more precise, who I found was Jesusfreak777. This is around the time he and TheAmazingAtheist were having  their debates. It was these debates that planted the seed of doubt in me that would cause me to questions everything I knew about how the world work. The first time I encountered atheism online was a song by Propaghandi called "Fuck Religion", this is also I had heard about Palestine/Israel issue as well but I'll talk about that later if anybody was wants to know.

As I was researching Christianity, atheism and science more thoroughly following a religious doctrine created more than 2000 years ago made less and less sense. After watching Thunderf00t's "Why do people laugh at creationists" series as well as other videos, I was fairly certain that the ideas of agnosticism and secular humanism were better suited to me.

Along with study into religion, I also came across political videos and websites. My first introduction into politics and religions effects on it was with the Muhammad cartoon controversy and a man named Ezra Levant. Ezra was a right wing journalist from Alberta who printed the cartoons in the Western Slandered and was brought to the Human Rights Commission or HRC. He videotaped his interrogation and posted it to YouTube.

I was disgusted with the conduct of this institution, and how easy it was for someone to abuse this institution, that was originally started to reduce discrimination, to silence free speech.

(If you want to know more about the HRC, you can look up more about Ezra's ordeal at his website, I'll leave links in another post if anyone's interested)

From there I started to get into European Politics, this is where I begin to flirt with Europe's far-right political parties and Islamaphobia.

I at some point found Jihad watch, even though reading Robert Spencer's blog did encourage cause me to resent Muslims, I had and still do think of him as massive prick, and the more news story commentaries of his I read the more this view was validated . As for Pam Geller, I have never been able to finish one of her blog post without becoming enraged and quitting due to how bigoted she was, even while anti-Muslim sentiment was at its peak for me.

Watching Hassan's videos opened my eyes and lead me to this forum, my views have become a lot less polarised since the the time I logged onto this forum.  As time went by and I learned more, I started to develop a more nuanced position. I have all of you to thank for that.

If you have any questions or if you feel I left something out or if you want me to go into the Israel issue more just ask.

I'm going off on a tangent here but the thing I hated most about Spencer and Pam was the way they talked about the average Muslim, like they were Muslims first and people second. This dehumanization that was even worse among the comments of those websites is another factor that pushed me away from the far right. They talk about Muslims the same way a lot of storm front users talk about Jews, like all Muslims are members of some kind of secret society trying to destroy the non believers. It was too much for me.

"In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks" - Henry Drummond
  • Re: Introdcution of an old member
     Reply #1 - March 06, 2011, 02:54 PM

The dehumanisation of Muslims is something I find more unsettling than Islam itself.

Welcome to the forums!

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #2 - March 06, 2011, 03:01 PM

I at some point found Jihad watch, even though reading Robert Spencer's blog did encourage cause me to resent Muslims, I had and still do think of him as massive prick, and the more news story commentaries of his I read the more this view was validated . As for Pam Geller, I have never been able to finish one of her blog post without becoming enraged and quitting due to how bigoted she was, even while anti-Muslim sentiment was at its peak for me.

lol this.  One of the first blogs I ran into was Jihadwatch.  On some level I do like seeing the new stories from various news sources from around the world about things I normally wouldn't hear about. But his own commentary, the anti Muslim leaning newspapers like dailymail, "guest" bloggers who write absolutely stupid things totally turned me off to anything that comes out of his mouth.  I couldn't even read Pam Geller, her blog is just pure mind puree. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #3 - March 06, 2011, 03:18 PM

It's the same for me, I do like to scroll through the stories, but I almost never read through his commentaries. Trying to make it through his bigoted posts and attempts at humour is just to much for me.

"In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks" - Henry Drummond
     Reply #4 - March 06, 2011, 04:41 PM

... this is also I had heard about Palestine/Israel issue as well but I'll talk about that later if anybody was wants to know.

Have you managed to read through Joe Sacco's Palestine and Footnotes in Gaza?
     Reply #5 - March 07, 2011, 08:17 PM

Yes I have, It was very eye opening, it showed a side of the conflict I hadn't bothered to research before> Just another way this forum has changed my point of view. Di you want to hear about how my views of Israel changed?

Reply #6 - March 09, 2011, 01:07 AM

I would say my knowledge about politics is near-zero in comparison to most people on this forum. I would love to hear about some of the things you have learned as well as your views, that way I can have a starting point - I really do hate that I know so little and though I love reading, every time I have tried to open up a book to "enlighten" myself, the excess amount of content has only confused me further, and I must admit, they get intimidating.

So if you ever feel like talking about your views I am more than happy to read them (though I can not promise you much input... for now)

I am also open to any recommendations of books that are more so for beginners like myself!

=]

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan.
     Reply #7 - March 09, 2011, 03:33 AM

Welcome very interesting intro and I agree that I am anti religion anti Islam but I still think many reliious or Muslim people are good people because they are my friends and family.
     Reply #8 - March 09, 2011, 07:29 AM

Yes I have, It was very eye opening, it showed a side of the conflict I hadn't bothered to research before> Just another way this forum has changed my point of view. Di you want to hear about how my views of Israel changed?

Yes of course.
     Reply #9 - March 10, 2011, 10:50 AM

thanks for sharing woodrow. good to have you here  Smiley

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #10 - March 10, 2011, 11:51 AM

Welcome  parrot In my opinion I believe Islam itself is the problem. Religion can sometimes make good people do and think negative things if they take it too seriously.  The teachings of any religion should be challenged, not the people themselves.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #11 - March 12, 2011, 01:50 PM

Hey, thanks, Woodrow

. Di you want to hear about how my views of Israel changed?

I do.

fuck you
     Reply #12 - March 15, 2011, 07:41 PM

I've been a bit busy, but expect my views on Israel issue to come out with in the week.

Reply #13 - March 27, 2011, 10:44 PM

Yo

fuck you
     Reply #14 - March 27, 2011, 10:58 PM

Sorry for taking so long, I'm almost done though.

Reply #15 - March 27, 2011, 11:02 PM

For all the time you're taking woodrow, I'm expecting great things Smiley

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #16 - March 28, 2011, 01:20 AM

I've put this off for too long, I guess it's time to write on how my views of the Israel/Palestinian issue have changed over time and what my current views are now.

I'll start with what I thought Israel and Palestine were before becoming informed.
    The Israel/Palestine issue to me was a civil war between two dictatorships , I didn't know that Israel was a Jewish majority country or that Palestine was and Arab Muslim country, I thought they were of same ethnicity and culture.

The first videos on the issue I viewed on YouTube were about the Goldstein massacre. The way the video delivered its message only reinforced my views. Most if not all the videos I found before I really started to look were either anti Palestine or anti Israel, I didn't come across in pro Israel or Palestine information until I became serious about researching the issue.

As I was looking into Islam, the Israeli issue kept coming up so took it upon myself to look into it in more depth. After watching a few videos and reading articles, most my misconceptions had been dispelled. I had a clear grasp of what the situation was, but I had yet to pick a side. The more I learned the more difficult it would be to pick a which side I supported.

At my most pro Israeli stage I thought that Israel should get most the land, This includes all land claimed by the largest settlements (the smaller ones as well as the outposts would be allocated to Palestinian refugees) and post 67 borders along with Sinai and Golan Heights. Even at this stage I still thought West Bank and Gaza, with what little land they had, still maintained a right to they had lived on for thousands of years, and by this I mean any specific land claims that were stolen in the 67 wars by Jews, should be returned to their rightful Palestinian owners or the descendants of those owners.

At my most pro Palestinian, my opinion was borders should be expanded past the '48 borders to absorb some the  nearby Arab villages. The settlers that refuse to accept Palestinian law must be thrown out, and their housing be allocated to returning Palestinians from abroad. Settlers choosing to stay would have to pay the PA a large fee for the land stolen or be deported.

All statements below are the views I hold now.

My views on Gaza are that if Gazans want to be independent from Palestine or a part of it should be decided by its people. I lean towards it being independent, but it's their choice.

As for Jerusalem, my opinion on it has remained constant, it should be an independent city state similar to Monaco. Israel's capital should moved to Tel Aviv and Palestine's capital should be Ramallah I believe that it currently is, but I'm not sure.

My current thoughts on what should happen in the region have not been static. For quite awhile my opinion has leaned in favour of Returning to pre 1967 borders, my thought of what to do with settlers is the same as what it was during my pro Palestine phase. Israel must give some kind of compensation to the People of Palestine, how much that should be isn't for me to decided. Of course Golan Heights should be returned for Syria.

Well, that's it, if you have any question or if I left something out just let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Reply #17 - March 28, 2011, 02:45 AM

Interesting thanks for sharing Smiley
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »