Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:24 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: ex-Mormon engaged to ex-Muslim

(Read 23684 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • ex-Mormon engaged to ex-Muslim
     OP - February 26, 2011, 05:44 AM

Hi, I'm actually an ex-Mormon, not an ex-Muslim, but there are a lot of similarities between the two religions. I'm in the National Guard and was deployed to Afghanistan, where I fell in love with my interpreter. He's an ex-Muslim because, he tells me, he asked too many questions and looked into his faith too deeply. I had a similar experience with my Mormon faith.
    It's been 2 years and 3 months since I've seen him in person. I want to go back to Afghanistan to marry him, but he doesn't want me to take that risk, it's obviously not a very safe place to visit. Anyone who knows anything about visas from Afghanistan to the U.S., please feel free to give me advice.
    Anyway I know there are lots of people out there who don't like the U.S. military, hope you all don't have a problem with that because as crazy as everything is over there, I'm still glad I went to Afghanistan.
  • Re: ex-Mormon engaged to ex-Muslim
     Reply #1 - February 26, 2011, 05:53 AM

I'm ex Mormon too.  I wouldn't get married in Afghanistan. I swear there has to be a program to help interpreters to get American visas if their life is in danger which should be a given.  I would see if you can work though the military and state department.  Try and get him out and don't go in obviously. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #2 - February 26, 2011, 05:58 AM

It's been 2 years and 3 months since I've seen him in person. I want to go back to Afghanistan to marry him, but he doesn't want me to take that risk, it's obviously not a very safe place to visit. Anyone who knows anything about visas from Afghanistan to the U.S., please feel free to give me advice.
    Anyway I know there are lots of people out there who don't like the U.S. military, hope you all don't have a problem with that because as crazy as everything is over there, I'm still glad I went to Afghanistan.

Hi Ex_M  girl., i wonder whether you are in love with Afghanistan, its culture and its Islam or the guy??

any ways , easy thing would have been  arranging him a student visa down in  one of those Utah colleges  as a student of Journalism when you were in Afghanistan.  The 2nd best thing now is you two going to foreign country as a tourist visitors  such as west indies getting married and processing the visa.    I say still the best way is,  getting him a student visa  for him and  see how it goes from there..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - February 26, 2011, 06:05 AM

Hmm. Under Islamic law it would be fine for him to marry you I think. Muslim men (which is what he would be undercover as over there) are allowed to marry Christian and Jewish women without the women having to convert. Calling Mormons "People of the  Book" might be a bit of a stretch under Afghan law, but if necessary you could claim to be Christian. Really, if the two of you are serious, marrying him over there and then bringing him into the US as your spouse (which I assume US law allows) might be the easiest option. The Afghans wont try to stop US military personnel leaving Afghanistan. That is defo shit they don't need.

Otherwise, he might have to declare his apostasy first to make sure he does qualify for asylum. That could be more dangerous for him.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - February 26, 2011, 06:19 AM

Americangirl,
    You may need to go to Afganistan to get married. The question is how do you know for sure that he is also in love with you? Or doesn't have another wife? Are you also sure that he wants to leave his family (if any) and go with you to USA? How do you know?

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #5 - February 26, 2011, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
    deusvult - yes, there are visas for interpreters, but there is a limit of only 50 per year and his paperwork keeps getting lost as the military personnel processing the paperwork return from their deployments. It's been over two years and I don't know if it will ever work, so I'm trying to find another way while still hoping that by some miracle the interpreter visa may work out.
    yeezevee - have you ever seen Afghanistan? It's a fucking hellhole, and there's nothing I want more than to get him out of there. People get shot, kids step on land mines - it's a war zone. I've tried three times so far to get him a student visa from the local college here, but I can't get it through the mail system - apparently mail for interpreters is not a high priority in the military mail system. And he would have to prove that he was planning to return to Afghanistan, or the student visa would be denied anyway. Getting tourist visas for both of us to a foreign country to get married might be the best option - I was thinking India, but found out they have a 60-day waiting period for a legal wedding. I'm not sure what countries an Afghan citizen can get a tourist visa to.
    osmanthus - yes, in theory a Muslim man can marry a Christian woman, but it's not a matter of religion as much as whether it's pracitcal to have a wedding in a war zone. Foreigners, and foreign military members, are prime targets for kidnapping, to exchange for money or for the release of prisoners. It's a risk that I would be willing to take, because I think I could stay in secure areas and be relatively safe, but my fiancee doesn't want me taking that risk.
    Alex Lam Meem - I fought next to him in a war. I trust him with my life. I talk to him almost every day. His family (father, mother, brothers and sister) are also in danger because of his job working for the U.S. military, and if possible, we want to get them out of Afghanistan too.
    Thanks for the advice, these are the kinds of options I'm trying to look at and it helps to talk things out with people who might know more than I do.
     Reply #6 - February 26, 2011, 07:29 AM

Americangirl,

I'm not sure if it would be easier for him to go to a neighboring, safer county than Afghanistan instead of US. You could meet there and get married at US Embassy, if he loves you back as much as you love him.
    I hope you don't take anyone's advice, including mine.
    Smiley

Reply #7 - February 26, 2011, 07:44 AM

So the question is, what neighboring, safer country is there that allows Afghan citizens in on a tourist visa?  Huh?
     Reply #8 - February 26, 2011, 07:45 AM

yeezevee - have you ever seen Afghanistan? ,

well I have seen things similar if not worse ..
    It's a fucking hellhole

What can I say, Thanks to rubbish in Islamic scriptures, Thanks to Americans and thanks to  rogues in Pakistan's army  that  made a mess of that country. Please read How Afghans were between 1940 and 1970
    and there's nothing I want more than to get him out of there.

The reason you want to get him out there is because you are in love with each other  or just pity +love him as he living in one of the worst places on the earth dear Ex_M??
    People get shot, kids step on land mines - it's a war zone. I've tried three times so far to get him a student visa from the local college here, but I can't get it through the mail system -

well shit happens every where., that is life, you try your best to live happily what you have and make it better for others you live with and love.
    apparently mail for interpreters is not a high priority in the military mail system. And he would have to prove that he was planning to return to Afghanistan, or the student visa would be denied anyway. Getting tourist visas for both of us to a foreign country to get married might be the best option -

well I forgot that mail problems., yes you are right and your thinking about going to a third country like India is a good idea., Indians Afghans do get along well .,  Is that guy Pashtun ??
    I was thinking India, but found out they have a 60-day waiting period for a legal wedding. I'm not sure what countries an Afghan citizen can get a tourist visa to.

well what is there in 60 days .. time will fly., but think carefully, These American rules for Visa so computerized and bookish., even after your marriage it might take another year to get him to US of A.   I think India and Nepal is not a bad option.,

So what are you two now??   atheists??  how about his side family  are they o.k ?? or the guy has no one??

Reply #9 - February 26, 2011, 07:50 AM

So the question is, what neighboring, safer country is there that allows Afghan citizens in on a tourist visa?  Huh?

I am more than sure that former soviet republics of Central Asia, like Tajikistan, are corrupt, meaning with some $ you can probably buy him a visa. You're willing to go there? When?

Reply #10 - February 26, 2011, 07:59 AM

I am more than sure that former soviet republics of Central Asia, like Tajikistan, are corrupt, meaning with some $ you can probably buy him a visa. You're willing to go there? When?

nah..nah..., that is wrong place to go., unless some known family/friends helps them there

India and Nepal are equally  CORRUPT to this type of transient activities  and more importantly safer..

Reply #11 - February 26, 2011, 01:22 PM

Why not try Pakistan or Dubai?

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #12 - February 26, 2011, 02:59 PM

I can't believe the US military have him working for them but won't do all they can to get him out of that place.  Huh?

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #13 - February 26, 2011, 03:22 PM

I know, Maya, it's sad, but he's one of their best interpreters, working for very little pay, so of course they don't really want to let him go. I'm starting to think the interpreter visa is just a fake incentive they give so that he won't quit his job.
    I really want to go see him this summer. Not in Pakistan, that's as bad as Afghanistan with the kidnappings (his uncle just recently was kidnapped from Aghanistan and taken to Pakistan). He can't stay in India for 60 days or he'll lose his job as an interpreter and the possibility of an interpreter visa. We could still get married in India but it wouldn't count as a legal wedding. Maybe Dubai? But neither of us has been there before, India is the safest place for me that he's actually visited before. I know it's going to take another year or so before he can get to the U.S. after we're married, but it seems better than just sitting around hoping for the interpreter visa to work.
     Reply #14 - February 26, 2011, 03:37 PM

Have you ever considered Iran? It's certainly safer over there than in Pakistan.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #15 - February 26, 2011, 03:42 PM

Have you ever considered Iran? It's certainly safer over there than in Pakistan.

why Iran dear olweasel?? Iran is ruled by Baboons ., She being American, they will not hesitate to arrest her for some silly reason to get a press support from Islamic bums of Iran..

Reply #16 - February 26, 2011, 03:43 PM

Oh yeah, Iran is much safer than pro-American Central Asian republics states  idiot2 idiot2

Reply #17 - February 26, 2011, 03:44 PM

I know, Maya, it's sad, but he's one of their best interpreters, working for very little pay, so of course they don't really want to let him go. I'm starting to think the interpreter visa is just a fake incentive they give so that he won't quit his job.
    I really want to go see him this summer. Not in Pakistan, that's as bad as Afghanistan with the kidnappings (his uncle just recently was kidnapped from Aghanistan and taken to Pakistan). He can't stay in India for 60 days or he'll lose his job as an interpreter and the possibility of an interpreter visa. We could still get married in India but it wouldn't count as a legal wedding. Maybe Dubai? But neither of us has been there before, India is the safest place for me that he's actually visited before. I know it's going to take another year or so before he can get to the U.S. after we're married, but it seems better than just sitting around hoping for the interpreter visa to work.

Pakistan isn't as bad as Afghanistan...

and many others...
     Reply #18 - February 26, 2011, 03:50 PM

Pakistan isn't as bad as Afghanistan...

what kind of thinking is that muddy?

it is worse for the purpose of solving ex_M Amgirl problem., Some of the people in land of pure will not hesitate to arrest an American GI and exchange her with either with Dollars or with Afia .. lol..

unless you know Zaradri or Nawaz shariff   don't get her in trouble..

Reply #19 - February 26, 2011, 04:33 PM

I'm definitely not going to Iran or Pakistan, there are safer places in Afghanistan - hotels in Kabul where U.S. civilian contractors stay regularly. But my fiancee is completely against the idea of me going back to Afghanistan at all after what happened with his uncle being kidnapped. He says he will get his visa and get here eventually, but I think they are just using him and don't know if they will ever let him go. He's been working there almost from the beginning of the war, and speaks 6 languages fluently, so I'm sure they would like to keep him there.
    Does anyone know much about Dubai, UAE, or any other place that may allow Afghan citizens to visit? Or is India probably my best option?
     Reply #20 - February 26, 2011, 05:00 PM

A thousand greetings!

So you've fallen for the rugged charms of a tribesman from the Hindu Kush. I know the feeling. In my Islamodays I slept with a photo of the sexy Mullah Omar under my pillow. I doubt you'll find much animus against the servicemen of Freedom's Land here. But a tricky situation you've landed. Couldn't you just tell Ahmed to take a hike and find yourself a nice all American hunk with whom to have an amorous entanglement? That's a no then. Okay soldier, just trying to be practical.

A timeless idea: Pen a weepy letter to Precedent Obama telling him that you'll switch combat sides if lover boy is not fetched instantly and installed in his own bachelor pad in New York. Tell him you are poised to leap out of your third floor bedroom window and land dangerously on a plump woman and her young brood. Say you're gonna decorate your cerebral cortex on the sidewalk. There's no way he can ignore it.
     Reply #21 - February 26, 2011, 05:13 PM

Does anyone know much about Dubai, UAE, or any other place that may allow Afghan citizens to visit? Or is India probably my best option?

The only thing I can tell you about UAE (same applies to India and Dubai) is this americangirl:

Citizens of Afghanistan residing in Afghanistan must apply for a visa to United Arab Emirates in person at the nearest consulate of United Arab Emirates in Afghanistan. Please note, application procedures and fees may vary by location. If there is no consulate of United Arab Emirates in Afghanistan there may be a consulate of United Arab Emirates in a neighboring country that covers the jurisdiction of Afghanistan.

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #22 - February 26, 2011, 05:27 PM

Did he travel to Dubai, UAE before Ex-Mamg??  Dubai, UAE are pretty expensive places.,   Other thing is getting marriage certificate from these places to apply for spousal visa   your conversion in to Islam becomes necessary.  Your best bet is India, Nepal and Bangladesh., If he is familiar with India he may get help either  from any  Christian missionaries or even from Indian Govt., as both countries have better ties now.  It is also cheaper to live for a year if necessary in these places..

Reply #23 - February 26, 2011, 05:51 PM

You won't need Dubai visa for yourself though. And I am not sure if yeez is correct about converting to islam or not, because Dubai have a lot of non-muslims

and many others...
     Reply #24 - February 26, 2011, 05:57 PM

This is what I found on google:

http://www.desertspeak.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2080&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

and many others...
     Reply #25 - February 26, 2011, 06:27 PM

You won't need Dubai visa for yourself though. And I am not sure if yeez is correct about converting to islam or not, because Dubai have a lot of non-muslims

well it will be easier to get marriage certificate in that way., If Americans don't need Visa for Dubai  then   Dubai   is  not a bad idea., In fact it is better, that guy can work Dubai  for  some time to some American business centers  who needs Arabic/Urdu  or Pasthun  Translators.,  is not a bad idea.,    apart from the link you gave , these links may also be helpful to her.

http://dubai.usconsulate.gov/dubai/islamic_marriages2.html
    http://www.dubaifaqs.com/marriage-in-dubai.php
    http://www.1hitproperty.com/1213/does-marriage-and-birth-certificates-attestation-required-to-process-dubai-visit-visa-of-wife-and-kid/
    http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=92058
    http://dubai.angloinfo.com/countries/uae/dubai/marriage.asp

Where there is a will, there is a way., The only thing that Ex_Mamg need to make sure is everything is fine at both ends .. I mean she and he & their families., If they don't care about their families then NO worries.  On top of all this you don't know when the life of  journalists and translators gets threatened or even  they may loose life due to some mullah baboon babbling in those  towns

I still remember  the case of Sayed Parwiz Kambakhsh ., A journalism student  who was jailed for Blasphemy in that Land of stones and rats with baboons in Government.  

http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1118654&sid=f2d9b4b17a0a675a1d23eceea14b02f1#1118654

He was in the dungeon for more than three years. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/sentenced-to-death-afghan-who-dared-to-read-about-womens-rights-775972.html

Reply #26 - February 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Welcome americangirl. Tough situation. I wish you the best of luck.

I can't believe the US military have him working for them but won't do all they can to get him out of that place.  Huh?

You can't? I can. Our government regularly uses, abuses, then disposes of our foreign "friends" and "allies" on a regular basis, especially in the Third World, and has been doing so for a long time.

Ask the Iraqis who rebelled against Saddam in 1991 at the urging of radio broadcasts from our President and then received no support: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_uprisings_in_Iraq Or the Hungarians in 1956 who were told by Radio Free Europe to keep fighting the Soviets and UN/US support would come: http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB76/doc10.pdf, just to list two examples among many.

It's all about what you can do for us, not what we can do for you. We got the big imperial dick and we fuck people with it every single fuckin day.

fuck you
     Reply #27 - February 26, 2011, 08:23 PM

I'm not sure if his Arabic is good enough to get a translating job in Dubai. He speaks some Arabic but the languages he is fluent in are Urdu, Hindi, Farsi, Dari, Pashtu, and of course English. Is it easier to get a work permit in Dubai than in India, for an Afghan citizen?
     Reply #28 - February 26, 2011, 08:45 PM

I'm not sure if his Arabic is good enough to get a translating job in Dubai. He speaks some Arabic but the languages he is fluent in are Urdu, Hindi, Farsi, Dari, Pashtu, and of course English. Is it easier to get a work permit in Dubai than in India, for an Afghan citizen?

well they are all useful languages in Dubai., For some getting Indian Visa itself is problem unless there are proper connections.

It is NOT he getting job in Dubai  Girl., it is YOU getting job in  Dubai(lol) Cheesy .,  because  apparently you get free visa being the citizen of US of A  and chance are much better for you getting job first  and he being in Translation career, he may also get a tourist/work permit visa in Dubai .  

Reply #29 - February 26, 2011, 09:30 PM

Hey, I live in Dubai. Getting a work permit/visa is damn easy; only problem is that you need a job first. Another route is to get a student visa through joining a university. I am a Pakistani citizen and I got my student visa in 3 days, so I guess it would also be easy for Afghans. I'm not sure about Afghans specifically though, if you want I can get you more info.

Also, a Muslim man and a Christian woman can get married here. Not sure about a Christian man and Muslim woman though. If you want detailed info you can contact the Dubai Courts directly. Their number is +971-4-3347777.

Plus you NEED to have a residential visa to get married here.

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »