Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Meow

(Read 4221 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Meow
     OP - February 15, 2011, 06:42 AM

Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum for quite a while now Roll Eyes and I thought I might as well join, you know? So... I'm an "ex-muslim" atheist in my first year of university. The reason I put ex-muslim in quotes is because I'm not even sure if I was a muslim in the first place. When I was a kid I always used to ask my parents questions regarding why certain things were (You know, stupid questions like why the sky was blue, why did Asians have different eyes, etc.), and hearing "Because Allah made it that way" was never a satisfying answer to me. Of course, I was just a kid so I just agreed with my parents. I became a lot more religious when I was about six to ten years old when I moved to Saudi Arabia. I had cousins living in Saudi Arabia who were heavily indoctrinated by their parents. I mean these guys would recite kalmas or play tapes from the Quran during car rides (Which in turn lead to some very verrrrrry boring car rides). So my cousins used to tell me stories all about the Quran, black magic, witches, djinns etc. And I would just eat all of it up. I used to be scared of the bathroom, (always pulling the shower curtain to make sure no witch or djinn was behind it). I went to the mosque (Of my own will) to pray at least 3 times a day (I had school Tongue). But then something happened as I approached my early teens, I started to see people suffering around the world, and wondered why Allah wasn't helping these people. I was too scared to ask my parents cause they would probably find such a question blasphemous, and I wasn't on good terms with my parents back then. It didn't help that I had no idea of what Islam really even was. I mean the sermons for Friday prayers were all in Arabic, and as far as I knew, there was no translation of the Quran avaliable in my house at the time so I didn't even know what I was reading. So I started to slowly forget about religion and was pretty much non-practicing after that, yet I still referred to myself as a Muslim.
    Well one fateful day, I was on youtube, looking up optical illusions and then I saw this video entitled "The Best Optical Illusion Ever!!!" (I'm sure at least some of you must be familiar with this video). The video talked about how prayer was not proven to have ever worked and it voiced the same sentiments that I had before (Why God doesn't help those that are in impoverished countries). Unfortunately, since I was in Saudi Arabia, the internet censorship there is intense. My only source of religion debunking material was from youtube. So I watched videos, mostly on Christianity. I was actually shocked to see that people thought the Earth was 6000 years old and didn't believe in Evolution. (No one ever brought these topics up in my household) and I started to see religion for what it really is. I was too scared to tell my friends that I stopped believing. I thought they would shun me.
    Mind you, I still haven't read a translation of the Quran, I've just deduced that any religion that says their God is All Powerful, All Knowing and The Most Benevolent is a fraud. It's such a glaring contradiction. Furthermore, many verses that people claim to have been "miracles" describing science are actually incredibly vague (That's because they're not really describing science). Why would a God reveal such epic scientific information so vaguely? I'm a fair person, so I tried to look at evidence for religion and it's just not compelling at all, filled with logical fallacies, half-assed explanations and lack of understanding of elementary science. Further down the line, I actually found a youtube channel that put Quranic claims to the test (That person is actually a part of this forum, I forgot his name on here but his youtube channel is TheIslamMiracle. Amazing work by the way  Afro) and well. Now I'm reading a translated version of the Quran for myself and saving verses in a Word Document with my own annotations on them on things that just don't make sense. I never thought it'd be this mind numbing.  wacko
    To this day I have only told one of my closest friends who is an ex-Hindu about my atheism. And it kinda wears you down after a while. I want to be honest with my friends, I want them to know that I don't believe but I know that I'll lose them if I do. There are even some friends who I suspect of being atheist, yet I'm too scared to ask them, and I'm sure they would be too scared to tell me. Most of all I want to tell my family. My parents still use "Because Allah made it that way" whenever something that confuses them comes up. My dad has become deeply religious over the years and that scares me. I know he probably doesn't understand even half of what he's reading. My sister and mother are two more examples that believe but probably (ahem, DEFINATELY) have no idea what they're believing. My sister is also really into conspiracy theories and claims that everyone's been brainwashed, when the irony is that she has been brainwashed by religion since birth, yet she is so blind to see that. So that's part of my reason for reading the Quran for myself. So that if one day I finally have the courage to tell them, I can shoot down any claim they can bring forward and hopefully they wake up. (Haha, I'll be disowned before that'll ever happen)

Anyways, yeah. That's my story. Now off to study for a Calc 2 exam Smiley
  • Re: Meow
     Reply #1 - February 15, 2011, 06:12 PM

Welcome to the forum Smiley

btw TheIslamMiracle is Mighty_Cats on this forum.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #2 - February 15, 2011, 06:18 PM

congratulations on your bravado & welcome to reality

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - February 15, 2011, 06:37 PM

Hey, welcome to the forum..

You can act like a non-practicing muslim rather then coming out as athiest. As for your parents getting religious every day, try to change their attention by taking them to movies etc..

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #4 - February 15, 2011, 06:52 PM

parrot Welcome. Steel, have a parrot  parrot
    sucks that you had difficulty having access to Internets material. I mean whether you're in support or against religion or anything as a matter a fact it's important to do your research on both sides, fairly and get your facts straight. Being hindered against finding any information on one side is mighty suspicious >_>;

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #5 - February 15, 2011, 06:58 PM

WELCOME

Where are you from? Your case shows that free thinking is very difficult to suppress even in a very hostile environment. Brainwashing is unnatural  and in the long run nature prevails and the truth dawns to dispel the indoctrinated falsehoods.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #6 - February 15, 2011, 07:54 PM

welcome to this haven of free thought . dogmatism/indoctrination is bound to fail, as we humans, just like all other animals, are eager to learn and curious, and the only, real teacher is experience, no old-fashioned, debunked, rusty dogmas.

I shouldn't be here. Really. Shaytan SWT deluded ALL of us. Amen.
     Reply #7 - February 16, 2011, 01:10 AM

Welcome to the forum, Steel. victory
    parrot signwelcome parrot

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #8 - February 16, 2011, 01:27 AM

Welcome!
     Reply #9 - February 16, 2011, 01:36 AM

Hiya. Smiley
     Reply #10 - February 16, 2011, 02:19 AM

welcome !!!!! hiding

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #11 - February 16, 2011, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. Smiley

WELCOME

Where are you from? Your case shows that free thinking is very difficult to suppress even in a very hostile environment. Brainwashing is unnatural  and in the long run nature prevails and the truth dawns to dispel the indoctrinated falsehoods.

Well, I WAS in Saudi Arabia, not in the Saudi Arabian school system though (Thank goodness). Now I'm in America for university

Hey, welcome to the forum..

You can act like a non-practicing muslim rather then coming out as athiest. As for your parents getting religious every day, try to change their attention by taking them to movies etc..

I know, I know. That's what I've been doing for quite some time now, but it does start to grate on your nerves after a while :(. I'm not very close with my parents unfortunately. When I go back to Saudi Arabia for the holidays I usually only talk to them at dinner. However, I suppose it's just how they're adapting to getting older. I mean, there's not much they can do over in Saudi Arabia, so I guess they turn to religion to occupy their time. A few people in my extended family are hardcore religious so I suppose that spills over as well sometimes. (There aren't many places to go in Saudi Arabia either besides the mall or a restaurant)
     Reply #12 - February 16, 2011, 09:57 AM

Welcome, Steel Smiley
     Reply #13 - February 17, 2011, 11:42 PM

Hey welcome Steel,

Pretty much the same advice as the above however I would like to add, the friends you refer to, are they in America or Saudi? if they're your American friends then i don't think you should underestimate their tolerance  Smiley when i first came to terms with my atheism i was afraid of letting my friends know about my views, afraid of being judged, and being an extremely extrovert it was difficult to cover my opinions, but i took a risk and told my best friend who i might add is a muslim, she and later my other friends took this news better than i did (i found it hard to accept myself, whereas they didn't even judge me) all i'm saying is, you need someone to rely on once in a while, and if you can't rely on your friends then they're not really friends are they?

of course the above is completely irrelevant if your friends are from Saudi assuming they'd be quite defensive over their religion as it is such a vital comfort zone of muslims' lives. 

good luck with whatever you do!  parrot
     Reply #14 - February 18, 2011, 12:53 AM

Thanks Smiley.

I don't have friends over here in university, I guess I give off a bad vibe or something :( . But one person (A Christian though) did ask me what religion I was and I told him that I was an atheist, he seemed kind of taken aback but it was okay. But yeah, the others are friends from Saudi Arabia, they aren't Arab though, they're mostly from Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. I'm not too trusting of people (Somehow they always find a way to screw you over, mostly unintentionally) so I'll probably never tell any Muslim friend or friend I can't completely trust who's not a muslim about it. Even though that's what I'd want to do.
     Reply #15 - February 18, 2011, 01:16 AM

Welcome Steel! You should come into to the chat sometime. Don't know if you just lived in saudi or are from there, but it's always nice to have another person who knows what it's like there.  Smiley
     Reply #16 - February 18, 2011, 02:00 AM

Welcome Steel Smiley

I'm sure you'll find this forum a great place to find like-minded people and maybe as you become more confident and at ease with your new lack of faith, you'll be able to find friends like you at uni etc. Moving to a new country for education is always hard. I only had one friend during my time at uni :( lol

Reply #17 - February 18, 2011, 04:54 AM

Your right hand?

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #18 - February 20, 2011, 03:06 PM

Welcome to the world... of the real!  Afro More parrots...  parrot parrot

Interesting story Steel, it amazes me how few Muslims have actually read the Qur'an (as I never did until I was 24!) I have a friend who is a dedicated Muslim, sends me hadith emails every day, but has never read the Qur'an.

Trust me, as you have already left Islam, by the time you finish the Qur'an you will never look back!  Smiley
     Reply #19 - February 21, 2011, 03:35 PM

I tried reading the Quran, to educate myself as a Western Islamphobe... :\ very mind numbing and unbelievable some parts.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #20 - February 21, 2011, 03:36 PM

Reading the quran won't make you understand Muslims, most Muslims have never read it (and the ones who have don't understand arabic and have read it blindly) themselves so I would just read an objective book on Muslims.
     Reply #21 - February 21, 2011, 04:47 PM

Welcome steel !:)

i feel you regarding the censorship . its not so much that i NEED to read whatever is there  anymore , its the mere notion that  a group of people have banned me from doing so , for reasons i never agreed to adopt .

LOL you're the exact scenario they were aiming to avoid! King Abdullah has called on all religious authorities to join up and fight atheism ...yey for us!:)

"Tomorrow is the today you were worried about yesterday" Unknown
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »