Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Therapy ideas needed (fear of hell)

(Read 10551 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Therapy ideas needed (fear of hell)
     Reply #30 - February 17, 2011, 07:15 PM

http://www.marlenewinell.net/page/about-dr-winell

I was born and raised overseas by missionary parents. As a child I believed in Jesus with all my heart and sought to meet my emotional needs in the "family of God." As a teenager, I became immersed in my faith. I especially appreciated the church home I found when we moved to unfamiliar California.

As I matured, however, I moved away from Christianity. I attribute this to a number of factors: exposure to other worldviews, my emerging feminism, non-Christian friends who were intelligent and happy, disappointment with church rigidity, discovery of dancing and other worldly activities that were actually life-giving, and new methods of emotional fulfillment. A big revelation in my professional training was that humans can learn skills for living and relating. We don't have to be desperate for a miracle of God to make us decent.

Letting go of my faith was a long, wrenching experience. I struggled to hang on but it became a matter of integrity. I couldn•t live with the logical inconsistencies and more importantly, I was tired of all the judgement and intolerance. When I left the church, I missed the security of having all the answers and the comfort of my cosmic companion, but the relief was also intense. I came to treasure my freedom to think and feel, to respect and love people, to care for this world, and to live now.

My education led to studies in psychology and human development. As I wrote in my journal about my own spiritual journey, I also listened to my therapy clients talk about their religious wounds. I began a book about recovery. In therapy, we used guided imagery and art therapy to tap deeper processes and find healing from within. I worked on my own art projects and invited others who have joined me in art exhibits. We have expressed angry and hurt feelings, but most of all, the shows have been about liberation--choosing life and love instead of righteousness and judgment.

I have been in private practice now for fifteen years, in Colorado, California, and Australia. One of my greatest joys has been to work with people from various religious backgrounds, all healing and moving toward a fuller engagement with life - here and now in this world instead of the hereafter. My own life has taken me around the world and through many experiences, some very challenging. My two children are blessings that I cherish. Learning to be a parent was a leap forward in my personal growth and my recovery from fundamentalism. I think the way we think about and treat children is a key to how we approach life. More about this in my next book.

I am enjoying the freedom and creativity that comes with experience. In recent years I have also enjoyed working as a filmmaker - writing and directing. A subject close to my heart is creation - giving birth, living fully, having the courage to push limits. The creator is us.´

SPECIAL THANKS TO CLARAP FOR THIS VERY RELEVANT LINK.

A pity people don't seek this lady's help before falling a prey to dawahgandists.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #31 - February 17, 2011, 07:23 PM

Stick some Lady Gaga on. Hell couldn't possibly be any worse than listening to that mewling bitch.

Cheesy Cheesy That's one hell of a comment!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #32 - February 17, 2011, 07:30 PM

What's up with Lady Gaga?     Yeah she's a freak but she does make good "catchy" songs imo.   dance

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #33 - February 18, 2011, 01:50 PM

Stick some Lady Gaga on. Hell couldn't possibly be any worse than listening to that mewling bitch.

Okay. piggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfukZyVi9Hk

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #34 - February 18, 2011, 02:02 PM

This fear of hell kept me in Islam for a long time, I continued to call myself a muslim 'just in case'. However after I learnt about evolution and the errors in quran, I was convinced that Islam wasn't true, and since then I've never been afraid, the fear hasn't even crossed my mind.

I think explaining the concrete evidence against islam/quran to your mom can help her get over the fears.
     Reply #35 - February 18, 2011, 03:58 PM

much better

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #36 - February 18, 2011, 04:38 PM

I think this is all well and good, but people like your mother Muddy, or my mother, and many people's mothers won't lose their fear of hell any time soon. The very idea of "therapy" is bid'ah to most of them, they have lived their life a certain way for so long, no amount of evidence, scientific, rational or otherwise is going to get them to budge.

If we are talking about the young people then we have a hope in hell (pun intended) to get them loose of these fears but forget the older generation, they are lost causes.

I think we should focus on getting pschological support for people struggling with Islam or who have left Islam. I had CBT for a couple of months before I officially left Islam and my counsellor helped me to enact a scenario where she played my mother and I "came out" as an apostate to her. This helped me immensely when I finally had to come out to her, and just hearing my own views out loud really helped me make that leap. She was an amazing counsellor, probably the one person who has impacted my life the most.

But thinking about it, must Muslims are taught to be distrustful of non-Muslim counsellors. Their first port-of-call, they are advised, is to see their local Imam, who predictably hammers their doubts into the ground with incessant faith-blasting until they are so weary they just want to go home. The problem is a counsellor needs to be objective. You would need to get the Muslims to come to us, but even then it could be perceived as kind of prosthelytizing apostasy.
     Reply #37 - February 21, 2011, 03:18 PM

What's up with Lady Gaga?     Yeah she's a freak but she does make good "catchy" songs imo.   dance

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=186.msg337517#msg337517

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #38 - February 21, 2011, 05:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0N7JM3wZk

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #39 - February 21, 2011, 06:06 PM

LOL I have to agree with most of your description of her but I do like some of the songs she sings/promotes.

I think her latest is rather tame, or should I say lame.  wacko

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #40 - February 21, 2011, 08:51 PM

Great threat muddy!

Here's my generic and unprofessional therapy suggestion, which should be tweaked to suit individual cases, with calling it an "Islamic meditation on nature of Allah" in most extreme cases of resistance to kufr:

Close your eyes and take a deep breath. Imagine you're in a beautiful place. Think about Allah. How do you feel? Don't answer just breath deeply and feel the connection between you and the sky-daddy. Do you feel how merciful Ar-Rahman is? Do you feel how just he is? Justice is one of the attributes of Allah as he is Al-Hakim and pays every soul a just recompense. Think about your life and all the bad things you have done to wrong your soul. Think about how ungrateful you have been to Allah and how much it must have mattered to his Self-sufficiency. Think about a just recompense for your sins. Imagine a just punishment for your sins, if you are not forgiven for them by the Forgiver. Could you ever be punished with eternal punishment of fire for you sins by a just God? You are not going to hell, you're a good person. Mostly. If Allah does not forgive your sins he will punish you justly, because he is just. So you will not go to hell. Who will go to hell? No one. The bad people only reincarnate as Zakir Naik until they loose the fear of hell. Then they go to paradise or become butterflies and humming birds. Hell must be metaphorical to scare Zakir Naik, so he doesn't make love to goats. Intelligent people realize that hell, when understood literally, is against the nature of Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala. Count back from ten and slowly open your eyes. Repeat as needed.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #41 - February 22, 2011, 09:34 AM

Great threat muddy!

Did I threaten you?  Huh?

By the way, nice post..

and many others...
     Reply #42 - February 23, 2011, 01:42 AM

LOL at threat - I meant thread, of course.  far away hug

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #43 - February 23, 2011, 09:54 AM

Still threat..  finmad
     Cheesy

and many others...
     Reply #44 - March 10, 2011, 03:16 AM

Close your eyes and take a deep breath. Imagine you're in a beautiful place. Think about Allah. How do you feel? Don't answer just breath deeply and feel the connection between you and the sky-daddy. Do you feel how merciful Ar-Rahman is? Do you feel how just he is? Justice is one of the attributes of Allah as he is Al-Hakim and pays every soul a just recompense. Think about your life and all the bad things you have done to wrong your soul. Think about how ungrateful you have been to Allah and how much it must have mattered to his Self-sufficiency. Think about a just recompense for your sins. Imagine a just punishment for your sins, if you are not forgiven for them by the Forgiver. Could you ever be punished with eternal punishment of fire for you sins by a just God? You are not going to hell, you're a good person. Mostly. If Allah does not forgive your sins he will punish you justly, because he is just. So you will not go to hell. Who will go to hell? No one. The bad people only reincarnate as Zakir Naik until they loose the fear of hell. Then they go to paradise or become butterflies and humming birds. Hell must be metaphorical to scare Zakir Naik, so he doesn't make love to goats. Intelligent people realize that hell, when understood literally, is against the nature of Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala. Count back from ten and slowly open your eyes. Repeat as needed.

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »