Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: newcomer

(Read 2440 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • newcomer
     OP - February 12, 2011, 06:59 AM

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum. Some of you I have met in person at the ex-Muslim conference in Conway Hall on the 11th of Dec or the seminar organised by One Law for All on the 26th of Jan. But most of you will have no idea who I am, so let me introduce myself  Smiley

I am not an ex-Muslim. If anything, I am an ex-Christian. My parents have never been very religious. They call themselves 'spiritual' and have their own ideas on what may be out there. But I did go to a Christian elementary school. I think my parents wanted me to know what the predominant values of Western society are so that I could chose for myself whether I wanted to believe in Christianity or not. I did at first. Quite naturally, I think, as a child I believed most things I was told, so I believed in God and Jesus Christ. As time went by, however, I slowly stopped believing. It wasn't a very painfull process. I just stopped thinking about it for a while and found myself non-religious one day. I was lucky in that sense, because I didn't grow up having to fight the opinion of others, as some of you have (had) to do. That brings me to my reason for writing this in the first place.

My reason for entering this forum is two-fold. For one, I am a student at the University of Cambridge and for my dissertation I am looking into the process of leaving Islam. I became interested not only because of my own experience of leaving a religion, which was sort of fleeting and ungraspable, but also because ex-Muslims often seem to have an especially hard time leaving their religion. This makes it 'interesting' from an academic point of view, but I think, more importantly, necessary for the outside world to know what it is happening. I hope to introduce the topic to the academic world, with your help. Secondly, I genuinely believe in the spirit of the ex-Muslim Council. I think nobody should ever be forced to believe anything.. It is horrendous that it does seem to be happening.

I wanted to be very open about my intention to research, but at the same time, I want to make it very clear that I will never report anything that is said to me without your consent. Also, I will always, without exception, treat everything I learn from you and every contact I gain with full anonymity in my research. I realise how important that is. Not even the forum names will be mentioned.

I hope you are willing to share your experiences with me and allow me to enter in your discussions. As a researcher, and as a person.

Suzanne
     parrot
  • Re: newcomer
     Reply #1 - February 12, 2011, 09:14 AM

Hola Suzanne  Greetings

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - February 12, 2011, 09:36 AM

Welcome to the forum, Suzanne.  victory

I am willing to help with your dissertation. Smiley
    There's already a lot of useful information on this forum for you -- particularly in people's intro threads and the ex-Muslims biography subforum.  It's still a lot to trawl through. :S
    You could start threads asking people whatever you like.  You will notice that everyone's story is different.  There are young apostates still dependent on their parents, so most wouldn't dare tell them about their apostasy.  Then there are independent apostates in their 20's and 30's, who have varying degrees of relations with their families.  Some of them have told their parents about their apostasy and some haven't.  etc etc

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #3 - February 12, 2011, 10:32 AM

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

I was at the conference on the 11th of December and might have met you, did you come to the pub afterwards?

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #4 - February 12, 2011, 01:11 PM

Many greetings Suzy,

A dissertion then is it? Intriguing. Let us get together at the wine bar when my wife hits the night shift and there necking Bacardi Breezer and Brandy head back to my place to get intimately acquainted. I will be your case study. Just one condition: I demand Absolute Secrecy. Not from Allah's gang, but from my flame-haired better half.
     Reply #5 - February 12, 2011, 01:24 PM

WELCOME

Wishing you all the best and hoping that you come out with a thorough research that will enable the mainstream to know that such a class exists.
    It will go a long way in countering the propaganda of a ' true and perfect religion'

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #6 - February 12, 2011, 01:43 PM

@ MAB hey! the lady has guaranteed secrecy so there won't be any danger of being murdered by your better half.
    Moreover good researchers are objective on the job and emotions are held at bay.
    So I don't know how successful you will be in your desire to be 'intimately acquainted'  Cheesy Cheesy

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #7 - February 12, 2011, 01:46 PM

Welcome, Suzanne - my story is in my sig below Smiley
     Reply #8 - February 12, 2011, 07:12 PM

Welcome Suzanne - what subject are you studying btw?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - February 13, 2011, 02:21 AM

Hiya. Welcome to the forum. I see you have already found the parrot in your OP, but it's traditional for one to be formally presented anyway.

Have a parrot.  parrot

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #10 - February 13, 2011, 02:45 AM

Welcome Suzanne   Smiley Smiley Smiley

I would definitely be interested in participating so ask away
     Reply #11 - February 13, 2011, 09:17 AM

Hey guys (and girls),

Thank you so much for your first reactions, I feel welcome already Smiley! @IsLame: the official name of my branch of study is 'psychology of religion'. I am basically studying social psychology (how people react on other people) but am focussing specifically on religion. @Mount a bison: flattered as I am by your proposal, the intention is to keep the research largely restricted to the virtual world. And even then I have to agree with hypocrucifier: there are some ethical limitations that any researcher must keep to.. @Godisnotgreat: we might have! I was indeed at the pub afterwards, at the table with Alom.. were you there too? And @everyone: thank you for welcoming me and showing interest to help! I'll take ateapotist advice and look around on the forum a bit further first. In March I am hoping to start my interviews and am still looking for people who are willing to talk to me on msn about their story.. So, for example, downunda: would you be interested in participating in that manner? You can use a 'fake' profile if you want. Later on I'll post a questionnaire on the forum as well and I'd be really grateful if any of you would be willing to answer that (online) - but that's later. The full research starts in March but I'll be on the forum regularly to look around and ask around. Thanks guys! (and girls, again)

P.S. @osmanthus:  parrot
     Reply #12 - February 13, 2011, 11:17 AM

@Hypo

Now look what you've done. You've torpedoed my amorous designs on the pretty young thing. Tipped her off before I could hope to consummate the blossoming relationship, before that is we could dance the nocturnal sweaty dance. This is unacceptable. I will report you.

Cc: FBI, CIA, MI6.

@Suzy

I appreciate that convention demands that you play hard to get. I respect the etiquette of courtship. But if you let me whisper soft words in your ear, I promise to give you more than a case study. Kindly deposit your number in my inbox and wait by the telephone.
     Reply #13 - February 13, 2011, 11:26 AM

Welcome Suzanne!  Smiley
     Reply #14 - February 14, 2011, 09:41 AM

Thank you Aurora!
     Reply #15 - February 14, 2011, 09:53 AM

Welcome Suzanne.  Smiley Another rationalizing Ex-Christian here ^_^ Have a parrot parrot

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »