Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Egypt protests: Three reported dead in 'day of revolt'

(Read 122894 times)
  • 12 3 ... 27 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Egypt protests: Three reported dead in 'day of revolt'
     OP - January 25, 2011, 08:31 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12272836

At least three people have been killed during a day of rare anti-government protests in Egypt, reports say.

In Cairo, where the biggest rallies were held, state TV said a policeman had died in clashes. Two protesters died in Suez, doctors there said.

Thousands joined the protests after an internet campaign inspired by the uprising in Tunisia.

In Cairo, police used tear gas and water cannon in an attempt to disperse the crowds.

Activists had called for a "day of revolt" in a web message. Protests are uncommon in Egypt, which President Hosni Mubarak has ruled since 1981, tolerating little dissent.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said her administration supported "the fundamental right of expression and assembly" and urged all parties "to exercise restraint".

She added that Washington believed the Egyptian government was "stable" and "looking for ways to respond to the legitimate needs and interests of the Egyptian people".

The events in Cairo were co-ordinated on a Facebook page - tens of thousands of supporters clicked on the page to say they would take part.

Reports said the social networking site Twitter had been blocked in Egypt and that mobile phone networks in the Cairo area were down.

The Swedish-based website Bambuser, which streams video from mobile phones, said it had been blocked in Egypt. On its blog, it accused Egyptian officials of trying to control the news agenda.

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo said rallies had been held in several parts of the capital, and the turnout had been more than the organisers could have hoped.

Police were taken aback by the anger of the crowd and let protesters make their way to the parliament building, he says.

There police regrouped in full riot gear with tear gas and water cannon and temporarily drove the crowd back. However, protesters threw stones and stood their ground, pushing the police back until they were on the run.

Our correspondent says the scale of the clashes will surely come as a shock to President Mubarak.

Protests also broke out in other areas, including the eastern city of Ismailiya and the northern port city of Alexandria.

In Alexandria, witnesses said thousands joined the protests, some chanting: "Revolution, revolution, like a volcano, against Mubarak the coward."

'Nothing to fear'
    In Cairo's Tahrir Square, demonstrators attacked a police water cannon vehicle, opening the driver's door and ordering the man out of the vehicle.

Officers beat back protesters with batons as they tried to break the police cordons to join the main demonstration.

Protesters alluded to the Tunisian uprising - this one using the French word "degage", meaning "out"
    One protester, 43-year-old lawyer Tareq el-Shabasi, told the Associated Press news agency: "I came here today willing to die, I have nothing to fear."

The AFP news agency reported that protesters had gathered outside the Supreme Court holding large signs that read: "Tunisia is the solution."

They then broke through lines of police and began to march through the streets, chanting: "Down with Mubarak."

Some chants referred to Mr Mubarak's son Gamal, who some analysts believe is being groomed as his father's successor. "Gamal, tell your father Egyptians hate you," they shouted.

The organisers rallied support saying the protest would focus on torture, poverty, corruption and unemployment, calling it "the beginning of the end".

"It is the end of silence, acquiescence and submission to what is happening in our country," they said in comments carried by Reuters news agency.

"It will be the start of a new page in Egypt's history - one of activism and demanding our rights."

George Ishaq, an Egyptian opposition leader, said security forces had been "confounded".

He added: "In the end, we will get our rights because this is just the beginning.

"This will not end. Our anger will continue over the coming days. We will put forth our conditions and requests until the system responds and leaves."

Disillusioned
    Weeks of unrest in Tunisia eventually toppled President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali earlier this month.

Egypt has many of the same social and political problems that brought about the unrest in Tunisia - rising food prices, high unemployment and anger at official corruption.

However, the population of Egypt has a much lower level of education than Tunisia. Illiteracy is high and internet penetration is low.

There are deep frustrations in Egyptian society, our Cairo correspondent says, yet Egyptians are almost as disillusioned with the opposition as they are with the government; even the Muslim Brotherhood, the banned Islamist movement, seems rudderless.

While one opposition leader, Mohamed ElBaradei, called on Egyptians to take part in these protests, the Muslim Brotherhood has been more ambivalent.

Our correspondent adds that Egypt is widely seen to have lost power, status and prestige in the three decades of President Mubarak's rule.
  • Re: Egypt protests: Three reported dead in 'day of revolt'
     Reply #1 - January 25, 2011, 08:32 PM

تحيا مصر
     Reply #2 - January 25, 2011, 08:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjB_0MDsSvU
     Reply #3 - January 25, 2011, 08:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90sU2WdjBE
     Reply #4 - January 25, 2011, 08:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ymcB8FA8s
     Reply #5 - January 25, 2011, 08:47 PM

Mubarak and other Arab leaders must be shitting their pants atm.
     Reply #6 - January 25, 2011, 08:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-_GDEf9uM
     Reply #7 - January 25, 2011, 08:52 PM

"We want freedom, our rights, Democracy..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfmyEtfNKt4
     Reply #8 - January 25, 2011, 08:56 PM

Good. These kleptocracies need to end.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #9 - January 25, 2011, 08:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WNTE_uqHqw
     Reply #10 - January 25, 2011, 09:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RUo3XzQ4P4
     Reply #11 - January 25, 2011, 09:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW98uP9hjzY
     Reply #12 - January 25, 2011, 09:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGN8t8ANCDs
     Reply #13 - January 25, 2011, 09:06 PM

If it gets nasty, it will get nasty for Mubarak - the police and army will side with the people.
     Reply #14 - January 25, 2011, 09:20 PM

If it gets nasty, it will get nasty for Mubarak - the police and army will side with the people.

I really doubt that, unless it gets REALLY nasty.
     Reply #15 - January 25, 2011, 09:30 PM

I really doubt that, unless it gets REALLY nasty.

It could. There have never been demos in Egypt like this before. The people really are SICK of that cunt! They want democracy and freedom. I just hope the Islamists don't hijack it.
     Reply #16 - January 25, 2011, 09:38 PM

There is no doubt that Egypt is a deeply conservative and religious country (despite the fact that it looks quite westernised) - but Egyptians are also intelligent and want their rights and freedoms and an accountable government - they will never accept a narrow theocracy. In other words they want Islam, yes, but they also want freedom and a more democratic and transparent govt.
     Reply #17 - January 25, 2011, 11:22 PM

They might, as they're already pissed off at him coz the military don't want Mubarak's son to become the next president as he has no military background unlike Hosni, Sadat and Nasser. And at the end of the day he needs the generals, they don't need him.

Mubarak and other Arab leaders must be shitting their pants atm.

Afro Don't forget the US as well, they must be really pissed off they are afterall their 'moderate allies'  whistling2
     Reply #18 - January 25, 2011, 11:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUC2-tex8_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc000YDVY5o

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #19 - January 25, 2011, 11:29 PM

I doubt pissed off is the right phrase to describe the US' reaction.  Don't forget that US foreign policy is primarily geared towards their own country's interests, which means they don't give even half a crap about Mubarak.  As long as he is replaced by someone who is equally co-operative to their objectives, the US won't care either way.

Their current reaction is probably more uncertain, because obviously they don't know who, if anybody, will be the replacement.  

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #20 - January 25, 2011, 11:32 PM

Interestingly it was democracy advocates that got the ball rolling in Egypt.  I hope they get it in the end.  Though its more than probable that the Islamic Brotherhood and extremist groups would be the main beneficiaries.     

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
     Reply #21 - January 26, 2011, 01:43 AM

I always believed that when it comes to Arab countries, a change in the people themselves is more important than a change in government. Corruption, nepotism, social puritanism, anti-pluralism, censorship, anti-freedom of speech and anti-personal freedom & privacy sentiment, subordination, sexism, homophobia...etc are all deeply-rooted in the Arab mentality. Mubarak didn't bring these with him. He's just a product of his society.

My late grandfather used to always say "it's all our fault; we've only got ourselves to blame" and he used to quote verse 13:11 from the Quran "Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves". Now I don't believe in the Quran but I still love this verse.

Arabs think of themselves as the best of people but all economic and social indicators show that they are in reality not anywhere near that and they know it. Instead of trying to identify the problem and changing it they start blaming others. First it was the "colonization" which admittedly had negative effects but in the Arab world everything was blamed on colonization even decades after most Arab nations gained independence. Then came Israel and the Jews. Now it's "corrupt" dictators.

I mean honestly, what are Egyptians anticipating? what are we anticipating? a Thomas Jefferson from Cairo? are we serious ? even if he did appear, do we really believe he won't be cast off as a heretic or a radical liberal? more importantly, even if he did maintain power, how is he gonna change the fucked-up societies?
    Arabs want something that doesn't exist which is a man with a magic stick. They better realize that soon because 'Allah will not change their lives until they start changing them'.
     Reply #22 - January 26, 2011, 01:56 AM

They want self-determination, don't they?

All countries had to achieve that before they grew up and learned how to run things properly.  Ireland, Turkey, France, America, etc, etc.  Is there a single one that didn 't have to go through this painful process before maturing into a secular democracy?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #23 - January 26, 2011, 02:09 AM

ArabsIgnorant people want something that doesn't exist which is a man with a magic stick. They better realize that soon because 'Allah will not change their lives until they start changing them'.

It is not Arabs per se, but rather the ignorant people, the uneducated, who wish such things and have no intellectual capacity to use self-reflection and self-critique as a way to bring change...  This problem of the under-educated masses is a problem everywhere my dear friend, not just in the Arab world... Even in the enlightened Austria 1/4 of the country votes for men who promise magic changes and who feed the belief of the un-educated people that the fact that they are of "austrian heritage" makes them more superior than foreigners (no matter what they work, do or their education)

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #24 - January 26, 2011, 02:48 AM

Oh wait your Austrian?  Well put another shrimp on the barbie mate!

Reply #25 - January 26, 2011, 03:39 AM

No I am not... I just live temporarily in Austria Smiley... And i think you just pissed off a lot of Austrians by thinking that they are AustrALians Cheesy....

Just look at the sun and the moon, rotating around the earth perfectly! Out of all the never ending space in the universe, the sun and moon ended up close to earth rotating around it perfectly.!!

Reply #26 - January 26, 2011, 08:54 AM

"We want freedom, our rights, Democracy..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfmyEtfNKt4

In anti-muslim language this is translated into "we want jihad to rape the infidel"

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

"Wherever you are, death will find you, Even in the looming tower."
    - Quran 4:78
     Reply #27 - January 26, 2011, 10:13 AM

I always believed that when it comes to Arab countries, a change in the people themselves is more important than a change in government. Corruption, nepotism, social puritanism, anti-pluralism, censorship, anti-freedom of speech and anti-personal freedom & privacy sentiment, subordination, sexism, homophobia...etc are all deeply-rooted in the Arab mentality. Mubarak didn't bring these with him. He's just a product of his society.

My late grandfather used to always say "it's all our fault; we've only got ourselves to blame" and he used to quote verse 13:11 from the Quran "Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves". Now I don't believe in the Quran but I still love this verse.

Arabs think of themselves as the best of people but all economic and social indicators show that they are in reality not anywhere near that and they know it. Instead of trying to identify the problem and changing it they start blaming others. First it was the "colonization" which admittedly had negative effects but in the Arab world everything was blamed on colonization even decades after most Arab nations gained independence. Then came Israel and the Jews. Now it's "corrupt" dictators.

I mean honestly, what are Egyptians anticipating? what are we anticipating? a Thomas Jefferson from Cairo? are we serious ? even if he did appear, do we really believe he won't be cast off as a heretic or a radical liberal? more importantly, even if he did maintain power, how is he gonna change the fucked-up societies?
    Arabs want something that doesn't exist which is a man with a magic stick. They better realize that soon because 'Allah will not change their lives until they start changing them'.

Yes all true IA! And sadly this has long been the only way to get rid of political leaders in the Arab world where there is no mechanism for passing on authority peacefully.

However some things are different and changing and one must take a look at the larger picture and see this as one more small step towards the change coming within the people themselves.

Although I don't want to overstate the affect of the internet, this is also a new factor, and young Arabs in the street are now being exposed to ideas and challenges to long held perceptions like never before. Many have matured and become more self-aware and self-critical and no longer willing to accept the despotic cycle that we are all used to. You yourself IA and others here are an example of that. Facebook, twitter and all the social networks, forums, blogs etc are full of young Arabs talking about and spreading ideas and information that simply was not available to them before. They are able to organise and spread the word in ways that was impossible in the past.

Again, I don't want to overstate it - but it is a new factor and it has changed the landsacpe - and ppl like Mubarak are scared of it and that is why Kareem Amer was imprisoned and why they are trying to control the blogosphere etc...

My biggest fear though is that the Islamists will try to take over - they have the organistational ability and the popular support - not because people want a Theocracy but because the people have yet to mature enough to express any sort of uprising in any other way than by justifying it by Islam. No surprise that one can of course hear cries of "Allahu Akbar" in the crowds - you and I know that you would not expect to hear otherwise - that's natural - but doesn't mean they want a narrow theocracy - nor that they want the Ikhwan or any of the other Islamists to muscle in - but as yet they cannot express an uprising in any other way - at least most can't.

I just hope that the more secular forces (who started this) will be able to keep the Islamists from trying to muscle in.
     Reply #28 - January 26, 2011, 10:17 AM

In anti-muslim language this is translated into "we want jihad to rape the infidel"

Wait! This is not a Jihad to rape the infidel?

I want no part of it then.
     Reply #29 - January 26, 2011, 10:41 AM

Egypt president’s son, family flee to Britain

http://www.inewsone.com/2011/01/26/egypt-presidents-son-family-flee-to-britain/23596

Cairo, Jan 26 (IANS/AKI) Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak’s son who is considered as his successor has fled to Britain along with his family, US-based Arabic website Akhbar al-Arab reported.

The plane with Gamal Mubarak, his wife and daughter on board left for London Tuesday from an airport in western Cairo, the website said.

Hmm.. where did billions go? Swiss banks??

I want all elected MNAs,  babboos of state, central govt including President of Land of Pure  + all opposition parties along with bearded baboons (~ 2000names) leave Pakistan and live in  England permanently.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 12 3 ... 27 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »