Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Trying to find a hadith... rituals not needed

(Read 1410 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Trying to find a hadith... rituals not needed
     OP - June 08, 2012, 03:24 PM

I remember reading a hadith the other day.  But i can't seem to find it via searches of my history.
    It went something along the lines of.

Someone asked Mohamed about some ritual.  The prophet said, it is not needed.  Only belief is required, but we can't tell the people that or else what would Islam be.

Does this right a bell with anyone?
    I don't think it was Bukhair... but I'd still like to have that source.

• Re: Trying to find a hadith... rituals not needed
     Reply #1 - June 08, 2012, 03:30 PM

in case anyone is wondering, I think even according to Islam's own sources, most rituals are not 'needed'.
    My investigation started on the hajj... which was as pagan tradition (Even according to Islam).
    When Islam came, many Muslims continued to perform the pagan tradition, and many were upset and thought it was unislamic (the walking from safa to marwa).
    A new verse came and basically Mohamed said, you can keep performing the hajj with safa and marwa.

It's almost as if the rituals didnt matter... it's just belief... and the rituals were mainly just continued pagan practices that he said were okay as long as you devote it to the one god... so to speak.
     Reply #2 - June 08, 2012, 05:22 PM

right.. people walked really fast between two mountains.. the tawaf.. it was a pagan ceremony from the pre-islamic time..

Narrated 'Asim: I asked Anas bin Malik: "Did you use to dislike to perform Tawaf between Safa and Marwa?" He said, "Yes, as it was of the ceremonies of the days of the Pre-lslamic period of ignorance, till Allah revealed: 'Verily! (The two mountains) As-Safa and Al-Marwa are among the symbols of Allah. It is therefore no sin for him who performs the pilgrimage to the Ka'ba, or performs 'Umra, to perform Tawaf between them.' " (2.158)

same place where the zamzam water was found.. also by running back and forth between the two mountains..
     Reply #3 - June 08, 2012, 05:43 PM

right.. people walked really fast between two mountains.. the tawaf.. it was a pagan ceremony from the pre-islamic time..

Narrated 'Asim: I asked Anas bin Malik: "Did you use to dislike to perform Tawaf between Safa and Marwa?" He said, "Yes, as it was of the ceremonies of the days of the Pre-lslamic period of ignorance, till Allah revealed: 'Verily! (The two mountains) As-Safa and Al-Marwa are among the symbols of Allah. It is therefore no sin for him who performs the pilgrimage to the Ka'ba, or performs 'Umra, to perform Tawaf between them.' " (2.158)

same place where the zamzam water was found.. also by running back and forth between the two mountains..

Yeop.  But that is not the Hadith I was looking for.  The hadith specifically has the prophet saying only belief is needed and not to tell the people.  It is an obscure one Tongue
     Reply #4 - June 08, 2012, 06:59 PM

Not sure if this is the one I saw... but it is something similar.

Narrated Anas: I was informed that the Prophet had said to Mu'adh, "Whosoever will meet Allah without associating anything in worship with Him will go to Paradise." Mu'adh asked the Prophet, "Should I not inform the people of this good news?" The Prophet replied, "No, I am afraid, lest they should depend upon it (absolutely)." 

http://www.searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=3&translator=1&start=0&number=131#131

And it is something in Bukharri.

Reply #5 - June 08, 2012, 07:12 PM

I remember reading a hadith the other day.  But i can't seem to find it via searches of my history.
    It went something along the lines of.

Someone asked Mohamed about some ritual.  The prophet said, it is not needed.  Only belief is required, but we can't tell the people that or else what would Islam be.

Does this right a bell with anyone?
    I don't think it was Bukhair... but I'd still like to have that source.

I read that, it's in the Riyad-us-Saliheen. Smiley

You should probably read an exegesis or something on it though Tongue Sounds like one of those hadith that scholars would have analysed to death XD

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »