Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Emergency Call! The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB) needs your support!

(Read 28685 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Emergency Call! The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB) needs your support!
     OP - January 21, 2011, 10:05 PM

The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB) needs your support!

An ex-Muslim from Birmingham writes:
    “I've discarded Islam and I want to be with others like me in the effort to break the taboo associated with leaving Islam. This organisation is significant because it represents one of the most difficult things I must deal with in my life, and is the only effort in the UK to tackle the hardships of those in much worse situations than I.”

Another ex-Muslim woman from the UK writes:
    “After 20 years of Islam, I finally gave up the prison for my freedom... It has been a long and painful journey, with many more obstacles ahead, but I am confident that things can only get better for the long-term.  Well done CEMB for creating this unified voice for ex-Muslims!”

And here’s one from Pakistan:
    “I was born and raised in a Muslim family and later studied medicine, two polarizing aspects, which led me to the conclusion that there is no god...  Living in a place like Pakistan, where there’s zero tolerance for freedom of thought and choice, I find this Council a big step forward in the face of religious conservatism, a place where people like myself can find acceptance. I reject the religious hypocrisy that surrounds me and thank you all for accepting a free mind.”

Since its establishment in 2007, the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB) has become the refuge for people to come to if they have left Islam and religion. It is a hugely important sanctuary for women and men who face threats, intimidation and/or isolation for taking this step.

And, since our inception, we’ve always been here to help – whether it is finding a safe house and giving support or defending the right to asylum for ‘apostates’ fleeing Sharia law.

In the past year, we’ve helped hundreds of people, held an important conference on Apostasy and Sharia Law, had speaking engagements across the country and developed a number of crucial resources including Guidelines for Ex-Muslims and Frontline practitioners and an information document on Apostasy and Asylum in the UK.

But all this work needs money and the CEMB is in the worst financial situation since its inception. It is incredibly hard to get support for our work from funders, even some who might be perceived as allies. The media and government, too, continue to avoid real discussion on the issues at hand. That’s why we have to depend on you for your help in getting the word out, supporting ex-Muslims and challenging Islamism and Sharia law, which punishes ‘apostates’ with the death penalty.

We hope you can take time out to send us a donation. Any amount, whatever you can give, will truly help. We are looking for people to give just £3 a month (more, if possible), so that we can begin to have an income that we can rely on.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest wishes

Maryam

Maryam Namazie
    Spokesperson

NOTES:

1. To donate to the crucial work of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain, please either send a cheque, made payable to CEMB, to BM Box 1919, London WC1N 3XX, UK or pay via World Pay by visiting: .  We desperately need regular support that we can rely on and are asking for supporters to commit to giving at least £3 a month via direct debit. You can find out details here:  .

2. You can find out about our recent activities here:
    * Our latest statement on Baroness Warsi and Islamophobia: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/indexPressreleases.html
    * Video footage on 11 December conference on Apostasy and Sharia Law, a video in Arabic (English subtitles) in support of Arabic speaking apostates as well as Guidelines for Ex-Muslims and a report on Asylum and Apostasy: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/indexResources.html
    * Inspiring statements from our members: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/indexMembers.html
    * Media coverage: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/indexMedia.html

3. For further information contact:
    Maryam Namazie
    Spokesperson
    CEMB
    BM Box 1919
    London WC1N 3XX, UK
    Tel: +44 (0) 7719166731
    exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com
    www.ex-muslim.org.uk

• Re: Emergency Call! The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB) needs your support!
     Reply #1 - January 21, 2011, 10:14 PM

Just think of it as the ex-Muslim zakat.  I am going to donate some of my cash very soon.  We need to get a few millionaires supporting us too!

• Re: Emergency Call! The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB) needs your support!
     Reply #2 - January 21, 2011, 10:17 PM

CEMB literally has no money - we run it on a shoestring and the goodwill and the unpaid hard work of the key members as it is (and I include the wonderful and unpaid efforts of the admin/mods here on this forum). I heard that some donations were fraudulent and we had to pay them back.

We get a lot of moral support and applause - but very little material support - and sadly few who will step up and take on responsibilities and be activists.

:(
     Reply #3 - January 21, 2011, 11:22 PM

Do you have some setup of how you can withdraw money from US account monthly (or through credit card)?
    If not, I think you can setup a paypal account for that matter.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #4 - January 21, 2011, 11:29 PM

Please note - I have nothing to do with the financial side and don't know how to set up anything - please either write to the address above or email Maryam.

Thanks for all your support guys - I know everyone wants to help if they can - and I know everyone is having a hard time Smiley
     Reply #5 - January 22, 2011, 01:32 AM

Have you got the account number & sort code for a bacs transfer? 

I have been wondering for a while if we should stick yours, mine & others blogs up on the self-publishing part of amazon (http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/01/18/amazon-kindle-self-publishing-platform-goes-worldwide/) rather than leaving them to gather dust on our computer hard drives?  As part of this trial, I am happy to do yours too if you like?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #6 - January 22, 2011, 09:50 AM

Sure!
     Reply #7 - January 22, 2011, 10:00 AM

Yea a automatic monthly debit from a debit card or credit card would be awesome 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #8 - January 22, 2011, 11:44 AM

Sure!

OK, I asssume you latest blog is in your sig & there are no extra parts you want to add.  Also where can i get account number & sort code details for CEMB?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - January 22, 2011, 12:02 PM

Please email Maryam at the above email address.

I have asked that a Pay Pal account be set up - that will make things much easier.
     Reply #10 - January 22, 2011, 12:05 PM

OK, is that a direct email address to her or does it go through somebody else first?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - January 22, 2011, 12:09 PM

That should get to her - but you can use these also:

maryamnamazie@googlemail.com

m.namazie@ukonline.co.uk
     Reply #12 - January 22, 2011, 12:49 PM

What is the exact state of finances? Where is money needed and what does it get spent on? Can this be publicised being a charity?

I'll chip in after next pay day but would like to see transparency on what the costs are and why please.  Smiley
     Reply #13 - January 22, 2011, 01:59 PM

Let us know once the paypal is set up and I can begin to donate.
     Reply #14 - January 22, 2011, 02:39 PM

Hi.  I am new hear and have posted the appeal on a few blogs.  Someone asked if CEMB was a registered charity and if so, its URN.  Can someone help with this?  All the best for the cause.

Religion is like a penis.  You can be proud to have one but don't show it in public, don't force it on those who don't want it and certainly don't ram it down our children's throats.
     Reply #15 - January 22, 2011, 02:58 PM

Let us know once the paypal is set up and I can begin to donate.

Amen

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #16 - January 22, 2011, 02:58 PM

What is the exact state of finances? Where is money needed and what does it get spent on? Can this be publicised being a charity?

I'll chip in after next pay day but would like to see transparency on what the costs are and why please.  Smiley

This is a valid request, I'd also like to know more about how the funds are used.

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #17 - January 22, 2011, 08:12 PM

I'll chip in after next pay day but would like to see transparency on what the costs are and why please.  Smiley

I don't know the answers to these, HO - I really don't involve myself with that side and just leave everything to Maryam and the others. I'll see if I can find out or if Zia who is a member here can clarify.
     Reply #18 - January 22, 2011, 08:14 PM

Hi.  I am new hear and have posted the appeal on a few blogs.  Someone asked if CEMB was a registered charity and if so, its URN.  Can someone help with this?  All the best for the cause.

Again - don't know - will see if I can find out.
     Reply #19 - January 22, 2011, 08:54 PM

btw for the record I have never had a penny - and never even claimed expenses which speakers are allowed to do.
     Reply #20 - January 22, 2011, 09:35 PM

And I believe you also covered the costs for hosting of this site too Hassan - I'll chip in for the hosting costs of this website (I've asked about this before). I'm not at all cynical of the way the money spent at CEMB - the reason for the transparency request is to find out how bad the situation is and if it is bad why this is (where the big costs are).

We're definitely lucky of have Hassan here guys, I think. Smiley
     Reply #21 - January 22, 2011, 09:40 PM

And I believe you also covered the costs for hosting of this site too Hassan - I'll chip in for the hosting costs of this website (I've asked about this before). I'm not at all cynical of the way the money spent at CEMB - the reason for the transparency request is to find out how bad the situation is and if it is bad why this is (where the big costs are).

We're definitely lucky of have Hassan here guys, I think. Smiley

Correction. I pay the cost of the domain <councilofexmuslims.com> - about £30/40 a year - and have since it's inception in 2007.

I don't pay for the hosting - and am not sure how that is covered - Oz can tell you more about that.
     Reply #22 - January 22, 2011, 10:14 PM

The CEMB pay the hosting costs directly.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #23 - January 22, 2011, 10:20 PM

You don't accept paypal donations, I had abit of extra cash laying around in my account and I wanted to donate like about a week ago. Now I have book a 3 week holiday, though would still donate if there was a paypal option. Personally, even if I might think the admins or the mods or even the members are dicks (wait correction I actually do think the members are dicks) I as an ex-Muslim would donate just out of principle, even if that might be a small amount. 
     Reply #24 - January 23, 2011, 01:13 AM

Re-Charity Status - it seems we do not have it. Please read the comments on this post:

http://www.skeptical-science.com/religion/council-exmuslims-britain-cemb-desperately-support/
     Reply #25 - January 23, 2011, 01:42 AM

This has nothing to do with having charitable status. Religion is a charitable object but not what we do. The charity commission has said that we cannot become a charity since we promote secularism. Plus there are many organisations such as the National Secular Society and Amnesty International that don’t have charitable status because of the charity commission’s narrow rules – that doesn’t make them worthless organisations.

Complete and utter bullshit!

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #26 - January 23, 2011, 09:28 AM

^ yeah, I raised an eyebrow to that too. However Maryam is correct:

Registered charities have to obey a number of rules and regulations set out in charity law. Those that are registered as companies have to comply with company law too. A registered charity is not allowed to have political objectives or take part in political lobbying (other than in a generally educational sense).

Cite:
    http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Start_up_a_charity/Set_up/default.aspx

So no really because CEMB promotes secularism, its more to do with political lobbying. So technically CEMB is not a charity in that sense.
     Reply #27 - January 23, 2011, 09:53 AM

I wonder how the British Humanist Association manages to maintain its charitable status. They must make the argument that "Humanism" is a belief in the same sense that religions are. Considering their aims and campaigns, they must be walking very close to the edge of what's deemed acceptable to the Charity Commission. Anyone know more about this?
     Reply #28 - January 23, 2011, 09:59 AM

Complete and utter bullshit!

I believe Maryam recently submitted an application to gain charitable status as I and others were asked for our dob/address etc... which she said was for the application. I didn't hear the outcome - so I assume from this it was turned down. Though I don't know on what basis it was rejected, I again assume that this is how Maryam understood it.
     Reply #29 - January 23, 2011, 11:38 AM

The CEMB pay the hosting costs directly.

Why do we need to pay for hosting costs? You can host php for free.
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »