Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: I can do this

(Read 14928 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I can do this
     OP - January 21, 2011, 12:18 AM

Dear fellow kuffar,

I have been postponing this introduction long enough. I have been telling myself that I am still not sure if I will stay, so I need to explore this forum better first.

Today I realized that I was simply lying to myself. The truth is I was instantly addicted to the forum. The real reason for procrastination, silly and pathetic as it may be, was fear of rejection.

While I feel very much a part of this beautiful community of ex-Muslims, I also feel different from many in a profound way. Many of you have been born into Islam and thus believing in Allah was not really your fault (for lack of a better word). I was a convert, so it seems it was completely my fault. To make things worse I was an atheist all my life before converting to Islam at age of 20. Few years later I comfortably returned to viewing the world rationally. There's considerable amount of shame inside me for being stupid enough 12 years ago to accept Islam, before I knew much about it.

I was never a mainstream muslim in any way. I was a Koran only 19er/hadit rejecter. Not being much of a follower I always had my own ideas of what is Islam and Allah etc. For a little while, of course, I felt I was the most true Muslim on earth.

Later I started hanging out with fundies, who were followers of hadith, for lack of more like-minded Muslims in my area. Fundies respected me a lot and I liked it. We jokingly called each other terrorists.

There were many reasons for my apostasy, that I will not discus now, but the main reason (which encompasses many specific reasons) was reading the Koran, a book I revered without knowing what was in it. I realized that my ideas about Islam, fluffy as they were, can not be justified and called Islamic in any way if I wanted to be honest with myself.

Once in a while I will still loose some sleep over the meaning of muqatta'at. It's personal between me and Alif Lam Meem. Does it answer why "Alex Lam Meem"?

Yours sincerely
    ALM

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
  • Re: I can do this
     Reply #1 - January 21, 2011, 01:32 AM

signwelcome
                                                                      cheers

Some standard introductory questions;

1] Where do you come from?*
    2] Are you a male or female? *
    3] How old are you?*
    4] Your sexual inclination[ LOL!  very reluctanly included in the set for the sake of completeness to comply with the standard LOL!]

Questions marked with * essential,4] is optional

sorry Islame,Saathiya et al beat you to it this time

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #2 - January 21, 2011, 02:31 AM

To make things worse I was an atheist all my life before converting to Islam at age of 20. Few years later I comfortably returned to viewing the world rationally. There's considerable amount of shame inside me for being stupid enough 12 years ago to accept Islam, before I knew much about it.

WOW! clap I appreciate your honesty and clear-headedness! That's the way to go if you want to learn from your mistakes.There's absolutely no shame in admitting that you have been stupid once in a while[who hasn't been at some point in their lives?].IMO it will be pigheadedness on you part if you try to mitigate your stupidity by lame excuses.This will only hamper the catharsis of your mind.
    People like you need to speak up for the sake of prospective converts who have been deluded into thinking that Islam is a panacea for whatever problems in life or that Islam is the ultimate philosophy of Life.

There were many reasons for my apostasy, that I will not discus now, but the main reason (which encompasses many specific reasons) was reading the Koran, a book I revered without knowing what was in it. I realized that my ideas about Islam, fluffy as they were, can not be justified and called Islamic in any way if I wanted to be honest with myself.

Please let us know. It would be of great help to a curious outsider like me in particular and other people here in general.
    The reactions to the packaging are almost always sensual,appealing exclusively to your emotions, but valuing the contents is a cerebral activity.
    It's when you ignore this truth you get into all sorts of problems.

Once in a while I will still loose some sleep over the meaning of muqatta'at. It's personal between me and Alif Lam Meem. Does it answer why "Alex Lam Meem"?

or as the inimitable yeezevee would say Alif Dum Dum Dum   Lmao
    The choice of name is the very antithesis of your personality as I see it.
    But then like they say what's in a name?........

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Reply #3 - January 21, 2011, 04:05 AM

signwelcome

How old are you?*

sorry Islame,Saathiya et al beat you to it this time

Erm, he/she was 20 12 years ago.

Welcome ALM.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #4 - January 21, 2011, 05:00 AM

Oooooops! my stupid moment......20+12 =32.
    Probably that's what happens when you involve yourself too deeply with Islam!  Cheesy
    But hey! I can always pretend that it was a rhetorical question! Just a formality! Kiss

Thomas Paine

Reply #5 - January 21, 2011, 06:47 AM

Smiley

welcome, dont feel out of place. THere are others in your position on here Smiley

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #6 - January 21, 2011, 07:49 AM

There were many reasons for my apostasy, that I will not discus now,

Please do, and also tell us how you discovered the forum

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - January 21, 2011, 08:10 AM

Hey Welcome to the forum!!!

Here is a parrot for you!  parrot

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #8 - January 21, 2011, 08:25 AM

Hello mate, welcome to the forum Greetings

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - January 21, 2011, 08:44 AM

Thank you billy, muddy, Ephemeral and Paloma. Enhanced thank you to hypocrucifier, for not making me feel horrible about being gullible and impulsive and stupid occasionally, yet not allowing me to blame Rashid Khalifa for everything.

I have a couple of minutes before work, so I can answer the questions with short answers. Will answer the rest after work.

Born and raised in Soviet Union, currently USA. Male. I don't really mind answering about my sexual orientation, but not too sure I agree that it should be important in an intro... My age has been deduced already.

Found out about the forum on Youtube.

Btw, what's up with a parrot?

Thank you again!

Reply #10 - January 21, 2011, 08:50 AM

Hi ALM!

What do you mean by "rejection"?

Btw, what's up with a parrot?

You are supposed to pluck it and than roast it.

Reply #11 - January 21, 2011, 08:57 AM

Pluck it and roast it? Jesus F***ing Christ, I would not do that to a cute little parrot unless I was really hungry.

By rejection I mean people not understanding and judging me for my mistakes, not being able or not wanting to identify with me, and not being my friends... E.g . read hypocrucifiers' response and them imagine complete opposite.

Reply #12 - January 21, 2011, 09:24 AM

hey, which part of US are you in? I am in Michigan by the way.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #13 - January 21, 2011, 04:40 PM

Welcome to the forum, bro. victory

I quit Islam well into my 20's, and I sometimes wonder why it took me so long to see through all the absurd dogma, but evolutionary psychology has taught me that the brain is prone to many cognitive biases and can easily delude itself.  The way to overcome that is to be open-minded and think critically.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #14 - January 21, 2011, 05:06 PM

Greetings Alex,

Can I have your address please so I can pass it on to the Sword of the Apostate-Slayer Mosque?

What made you think you would be rejected? What a silly goose. My standing policy is not to deny my love to anybody except the syphilic, in which case you might have to share a bed with someone else. You spin a fascinating story. Tell us what drove you to join Allah's gang in the first instance. I bet it was a love interest involving a dementingly sexy Moroccan fire-eater. Did he keep his heretical sexuality hushed up too?

So many questions, so few ...
     Reply #15 - January 22, 2011, 12:02 AM

Thank you  ateapotist, Mount a Bison

Why I left

I have to travel 10 years (more or less) back in time so the following story will hardly be "sahih".  I identified myself as Muslim at least for two years after my iman had evaporated completely. It's easier to recollect events in reverse order. I am almost certain that I finally admitted to myself that I am a kafir after reading surat-ul-hujuraat. In my Islam God was supposed to have sent a perfect guidance book, explaining all things (since hadith were merely human) for all times, for all humanity, etc etc. So why is His All-knowingness telling me how to behave around one mother f***er, whom I will never see, as he's been dead for centuries?, I thought without the curse words. The book is not that long for  the Ahad and Sammad to have the luxury of repetition, vague verses and orders how to obey a dead man. Shaytan immediately whispered to me that Muhammad was a politician and wrote the verses himself. Suddenly enlightened, I realized that obeying Allah meant obeying Muhammad and nothing more. Long before that I had many doubts, such as "did Allah really know about evolution?", or "did He know that earth revolves around the sun and where on earth is the muddy spring of Alex the Great?", or "does he think that speach and writing were not evolving, when he claimed that he taught humans writing? Before that I was reading the Koran so I could prove to all the blasphemers on the Internet that Allah is up there. I did not believe in tafsirs, not because they were obviously human, but because I despised any authority (except Allah's). So I understood the Koran how I understood it. Replying to lies about Islam on the Internet was supposed to be my jihad, but it only lead to more doubts. Before that I realized that jihad is as important to Allah as salaat and zakaat and other so called pillars. I did not have money then and did not like crowds (so no hajj) and how useful is sujud? I did not want to do real jihad (by AK47) either, so paradoxically I established hadith about jihad by pen being bestest to be sahih. It seemed like something a real nabiy would say. I think I also wondered why a complete book would leave me clueless about who was Father of Flame, who deserved his own chapter. Wondering about hell and heaven as just recompense or position of women were also evil whispers from shaytan.

Why I came

I think after I verified all the simple calculations of the "mathematical miracle", I also counted all the letters in Iqraa ('Alaq) and for whatever reason had my first Allahu Akbar moment, so to speak. By then messenger Rashad or his gang of Submitters explained to me that everything horible I associate with Islam if from hadith followers and the Koran is only filled with divine wisdom, or something. I stumbled upon the "miracle" and submitters from Internet searches for learning Arabic. And why I decided to learn Arabic only Mount a Bison could tell you...

Muddy, let me know if you're visiting Library of Congress. But beware of believers form Sword of the Apostate-Slayer Mosque.  grin12

Reply #16 - January 22, 2011, 03:42 AM

Dear Alif Alex Lam Mim,
    As my faith had already dwindled, I considered taking a look at more liberal Islam, and so once I got to free-minds, and affiliated sites propagating Khalifa's twisted view of Islam.
    In fact, I opened a topic at free-minds, explaining them that any attempt to reform/reinterpret Islam was surely going to fail, and how pathetic it is to defend Quran, but to reject hadith. It seemed their main concern wasnt really whether those ahadith were sahih or not, but rather the inconvenient bits had caused them to discard those sources concerning the Prophet.

Anyway, I can't possibly understand how anyone who has read the Quran in a language he understand, might continue believing this crap. There are so many irrelevant verses(like in Tabbat, Hujuraat), and it is sprinkled with threats everywhere..
    I think there are so many other books which I enjoyed much more.. Really, forget about the contradictions in it: The mere style and attitude of "better be a believer, or else.." really did the trick.
    The mathematical 19 curiosity is nothing but coincidence. (You should have seen through right in the middle, but well you are here now, alhamdulillah  dance )
     Reply #17 - January 22, 2011, 06:50 AM

The mathematical 19 curiosity is nothing but coincidence. (You should have seen through right in the middle, but well you are here now, alhamdulillah  dance )

A friend of mine is a fellow 19'er & I have tried hard to make him see that there is no 19 miracle.  What made you see through it?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - January 22, 2011, 07:11 AM

Hi Alex

First of all, I had the same doubts you had before writing in the forum, but ppl here were very nice actually(except some in the chat room  whistling2)

Muslims I know always brag about how people in the west are converting to Islam everyday. That's something that makes me suspect that maybe I'm stupid and don't know how awesome Islam is  Huh?, so I want to know more about people who convert to Islam.

1) When you converted, was it because you read the Quran and liked it, or was it because of how Muslims explained Islam to you?

2) Also, what was the idea you had about Islam before you converted?

3) Why did you think about converting to it in the first place?

4) Did you know people who converted to Islam and then left like you?
     Reply #19 - January 22, 2011, 09:40 AM

hiya and welcome ALM  grin12
     Reply #20 - January 22, 2011, 10:21 AM

Hi nessrriin

First of all, I had the same doubts you had before writing in the forum, but ppl here were very nice actually(except some in the chat room  whistling2)

1) When you converted, was it because you read the Quran and liked it, or was it because of how Muslims explained Islam to you?

2) Also, what was the idea you had about Islam before you converted?

3) Why did you think about converting to it in the first place?

4) Did you know people who converted to Islam and then left like you?

Hey whyme89,

I don't blame you for not reading my explanation on why I left Islam, which is completely unreadable - I was tired when I wrote that oversized paragraph. Anyway, no I have not read (much of) the Koran before I converted. I disbelieved by the time I read a third of it, or a little less, or a little more.

I was reading about the Koran and about Islam and unfortunately fell victim to that propaganda (with a special help of miracle of 19).

I don;t think I was thinking of converting, I was curious about learning Arabic which lead me to Islamic websites. Maybe I was having an existential crisis, maybe collapse of USSR left a void in me and made me question everything associated with it, including atheism (though I don't think so), maybe I wanted to be different, maybe I was depressed. I haven't analyzed this part well.

Don't know personally any converts who later left. I think in some respects it is harder for converts to leave (though not necessarily so overall), because you have made the decision to join on your own.

A friend of mine is a fellow 19'er & I have tried hard to make him see that there is no 19 miracle.  What made you see through it?

Well... A lot of useless counting of letters, verses, etc, which finally made me realize that the "simple facts" are easy to be created humanly, and most of the complicated ones are easily a coincidence. Plus necessity to remove 2 verses from The Koran to have all verses a multiple of 19, either proves that Allah failed to preserve the Koran or that he made a mathematical mistake...
    More that obsessions with numbers and gematria, I think reading the book made me realize that God really neglected the content, while trying to encode 19 in it. I still believe that someone who wrote the Koran wanted 19 in it, but, of course, I can't find any miracle in it.

Dear Alif Alex Lam Mim,
    As my faith had already dwindled, I considered taking a look at more liberal Islam, and so once I got to free-minds, and affiliated sites propagating Khalifa's twisted view of Islam.
    In fact, I opened a topic at free-minds, explaining them that any attempt to reform/reinterpret Islam was surely going to fail, and how pathetic it is to defend Quran, but to reject hadith. It seemed their main concern wasnt really whether those ahadith were sahih or not, but rather the inconvenient bits had caused them to discard those sources concerning the Prophet.

It may be so, I can't get into Rashad's mind, but I think if you have read only the Koran, then you will be quite shocked if someone told you: "have you heard about the hadith?". This whole thing makes Islam imperfect: no mention in the main source to the secondary source, with Koranic verses claiming to explain everything, and then the book makes no sense unless you know some hadiths...

Reply #21 - January 22, 2011, 10:38 AM

@ ALM IMO the only thing the communists did right was to ban  RELIGION.
    This perverted invention of man is totally out of place in the 21st century. It's supposed to promote and nurture the good in human beings but in reality it gets out the worst in Man.
    Even a pack of ferocious hyenas is preferable to some of these so called true followers of religion.

Thomas Paine

Reply #22 - January 22, 2011, 11:16 AM

Zdravstvuytie, tovarish Alex  Wink

Plus necessity to remove 2 verses from The Koran to have all verses a multiple of 19, either proves that Allah failed to preserve the Koran or that he made a mathematical mistake...

19ers bang on about the number of verses in the Qur'an a lot, but the exact number is, and always has been, contested. The original mushaf didn't even have verse numbering, which is odd if Allah really did want to preserve a numerical miracle:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=10047.msg371671#msg371671

I suppose that's another one of the reasons as to why they jettison the traditional exegeses.

A lot of this numerological stuff is plausible, some true, and some demonstrably false or highly contestable. Even something like the Bismillah having 19 letters only happened because Ali had the alif removed from the word 'ism,' or so I recall reading.
     Reply #23 - January 22, 2011, 01:00 PM

Privet Zebedee,
    "rahman" could be spelled with an alif in basmallah if that interests you still.

@ ALM IMO the only thing the communists did right was to ban  RELIGION.

Banning had it's benefits, though I would prefer the state to allow freedom of speech (including freedom of conscience and religion) and eradicate religiosity with wonderful education instead.

Reply #24 - January 22, 2011, 03:25 PM

Welcome Alex Lam Meem  Afro (btw we have quite a few converts - now ex-Muslims - here. So you're not alone!)
     Reply #25 - January 22, 2011, 06:19 PM

Thank you, Hassan. Good to know I am not special Wink

Reply #26 - January 22, 2011, 06:35 PM

A diverting story Alex. Makes me want to sweat with you beneath the sheets. What was the impetus for your conversion to Allah's gang? Did you have a Muslim colleague, a fellow student, or a boyfriend?

Reply #27 - January 22, 2011, 07:28 PM

I completely deny any association of her with the subject at hand. However... there was this delicate yet fertile muslima, who liked to cry on my shoulder when I was 18. Yet she was oblivious to the happiness she's denying both of us by wanting to "just be friends". I never forgave her for that. Had she not uttered those words, I am sure I would have engaged in the ancient tradition of bride kidnapping. Like I said, these things have no significance in my story, no matter what my subconsciousness may claim.

Reply #28 - January 22, 2011, 07:58 PM

LOL

So you converted without ever dancing between the hairy Fatima's thighs? Interesting. My longstanding policy is never to cross over to a beauty's way of thinking without a written affidavit granting me a one night roll in the hay. To convert without so much as taking her tender breasts in your mouth is disgraceful and sets a dangerous precedent.

To what extent was your conversion driven by the Quran and how much by the desire to conform with your Muslim friends? In my late teens when I became a committed Salafi, the catalyt was the Muslim youth club where they held weekend sporting events. Observing the multitude of Islamic rules did not interest me to begin with. It was a slow process of acculturation.
     Reply #29 - January 22, 2011, 08:33 PM

I'd give most of the credit to 19*6 surahs, a missing basmallah in surah 9 and extra basmallah written with 19 letters in 27:30. I am not proud of it. My process was not slow at all, due to the fact that I don't like to foresee the consequences of my actions. Muslim question was pretty marginal in my village. In my submitting days I had feelings ranging from respect to contempt towards such salafi demigods as Abdulwahhab.

• 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »