Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What God does to your brain.

(Read 1568 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What God does to your brain.
     OP - July 12, 2014, 08:22 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/world/what-god-does-to-your-brain-20140630-3b467.html

I will try to copy and paste it, having some trouble with that lately.. too long, sorry! Still a good article.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #1 - July 12, 2014, 11:14 PM

Thanks three  Afro
    If religion is merely a product of the mind, then perhaps its effects can be simulated artificially - with potentially powerful results. In the 1990s, Canadian cognitive neuro-scientist Michael Persinger invented a ''God helmet'', which, he claimed, simulated religious experiences by directing complex magnetic fields to the parts of the brain that include the parietal lobe.

Evangelical Christians demonstrated outside the lab where Persinger tested the helmet, outraged at his suggestion that God could be replicated via a machine. But more than 80 per cent of those who wore the helmet reported sensing a presence in the room that many took to be their deity. They also became deeply emotional and, after the experiment, were filled with a sense of loss.

This led Persinger to conclude that divine visions - not to mention every other type of out-of-body experience, from the Virgin Mary being visited by the Holy Spirit to UFO sightings - were probably nothing more than people being subjected to energy fields connected to shifts in the Earth's plates or environmental disturbances.

In 2001, Persinger tried the helmet on possibly the world's most vocal atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins, who reported that his breathing and sensation in his limbs were affected, but insisted he had not seen God. Still upbeat, Persinger argued that earlier tests had shown Dawkins had far less sensitivity than others in the temporal lobes.

Or, perhaps Dawkins is simply lacking the ''God gene'' or VMAT2, to be precise, that controls the flow of mood-regulating chemicals, called monoamines, in the brain.

According to US molecular geneticist Dr Dean Hamer, subjects with this gene were more susceptible to self-transcendent, spiritual experiences. Many neuroscientists now think spiritual tendencies involve genes relating to the brain's dopamine and serotonin neurotransmitters.

Yup, we atheists lack the god gene.  Cheesy
     Reply #2 - July 12, 2014, 11:18 PM

Oh my goodness InC, you have been much on my mind. We went to a parade the other day and they played Papa Americano, and you introduced me to it. Hope you are sleeping!
    Off topic. Self control is not my thing, but I do apologize.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #3 - July 12, 2014, 11:24 PM

Oh I love that song !  dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXyEiGnkYms

Yup Im sleeping , this thanks to meditation. My brain chemistry is being affected by it. Wink
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »