Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 21, 2024, 01:56 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How to engage with Muslims as a non-Muslim

(Read 7104 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How to engage with Muslims as a non-Muslim
     OP - January 19, 2011, 06:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I am an atheist, but was brought up very strict baptist christian in the UK.

I live in an area which has a very large Somali muslim population. I find that when I go into shops, walk down the street or hold doors open for people, Somalis will rarely, if ever, meet my eye or speak to me. And that's just the men. In regards to Somali women, they don't even react to my presence in any discernable way.

I was wondering if I could have advice (along with my introduction!):

What is the most progressive, effective way to engage with muslims, but specifically Somali muslims in my area? Anyone? Is this just a case of 'them being more afraid of me than I am of them'?

Thanks, and peace.
  • Re: How to engage with Muslims as a non-Muslim
     Reply #1 - January 19, 2011, 06:34 PM

Hello AlanDente,

I find it interesting that you came on a forum like this to ask how to interact with Muslims, as I am not sure if you know, that this is an "ex-Muslim" forum and the majority of the people here are no longer Muslims. Maybe you should also go to a Muslim forum and discuss that with them.
    Which part of the UK do you live in? I live around the Fulham area in London, and there are many Somalians very close by who I happen to come across quite often.

I am actually a Muslim, and I find it very hard to interact with Muslims. Despite the fact that Islam teaches one to have an upright character and to be kind and just towards people.
    Infact Muhammad (SAW) emphasised a great deal on manners, unfortunetely you find this lacking in many Muslims.
    It it so common that you will hear reverts (converts to Islam) say "I am so glad I embraced Islam, before I met Muslims".

I'll share with you some experiences I have had.
    Sometimes I would say "Salam alaykum" which is an Islamic greeting meaning "Peace be upon you", right infront of another Muslim's face, and I would get absolutely no response. Sometimes I will do exactly as you said, I would hold doors open, make eye contact, smile at people, any sort of excuse to open an interaction, but they simply don't want to know.
    Having said that, there are many Muslims who will greet you very warmly and will treat you with courtesy. I have met many who would do that to a Muslim and non-Muslim, alike.

My advice is that you should carry on doing what you're doing, and probably visit a local Mosque one day, and ask them that question directly.
    Sometimes they will mention things like this in Friday sermons, so who knows, they might even mention to the people gathered that a non-Muslim came to ask why Muslims don't interact much.
    It sounds to me, that the problem is from them, and not from you. From what you have said, you have tried to make bridges.
    The conclusion I have come to (and I could be wrong) is that they only want to interact with people they know and remain in their comfort zone, and do not like being exposed to new things.
    There tends to be fear on their part, especially if someone is a non-Muslim, they assume that you might dislike them, or that you have nothing incommon.

There also a few people who fear being corrupted, these are an extreme few who are very insecure.
    But when it comes to the poor manners of many Muslims, it is due to a flaw in their own character that they haven't worked on.
     Reply #2 - January 19, 2011, 06:54 PM

In regards to Somali women, they don't even react to my presence in any discernable way.

Somalis are gender segregated, so the sisters won't talk to you anyhow.

As for everything else, serrated_colon may be of assistance, as he was a Somali Muslim.

It it so common that you will hear reverts (converts to Islam) say "I am so glad I embraced Islam, before I met Muslims".

I've yet to hear that. wacko

Having said that, there are many Muslims who will greet you very warmly and will treat you with courtesy. I have met many who would do that to a Muslim and non-Muslim, alike.

Most Muslims I've known were very social with non-Muslims.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #3 - January 19, 2011, 06:56 PM

Hello everyone,

I live in an area which has a very large Somali muslim population. I find that when I go into shops, walk down the street or hold doors open for people, Somalis will rarely, if ever, meet my eye or speak to me. And that's just the men. In regards to Somali women, they don't even react to my presence in any discernable way.

What is the most progressive, effective way to engage with muslims, but specifically Somali muslims in my area? Anyone? Is this just a case of 'them being more afraid of me than I am of them'?

Thanks, and peace.

Hey signwelcome

Stay here for a while and you will have a lot of material to read. But as far as communicating to sumali muslim goes, they are usually always in a big group, and do not mix with others at all.

Also, don't mind AbaAbdillah. He is a muslim here and trying his hardest to convert us back to his terrorist religion.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #4 - January 19, 2011, 06:57 PM

He is a muslim here and trying his hardest to convert us back to his terrorist religion.

Oh you. Cheesy

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #5 - January 19, 2011, 07:15 PM

Muddy, future goodwill ambassador.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #6 - January 19, 2011, 07:17 PM

Hello everyone,

Thanks, and peace.

We have a few Somalis here and I'm sure they will confirm that they tend to be a very insular community and often don't like to marry or intermix even with Muslims outside their own. From my experience of Somali families at Islamia School and in the Kilburn/Willesden area, they do tend to have this habit of not making eye contact and keeping very much within their own ethnic community.

It is however common to find Muslim women avoiding the glances of the opposite sex. And sadly some Muslims also tend to shun non-Muslims, particular if they come from one of these tightly knit communities that stay within their own ethnic group.

Why not try saying: "Assalamu Alaykum!"

That should get them to look up and reply with "Wa'Alaykum Assalam!"

Afro
     Reply #7 - January 19, 2011, 07:22 PM

Welcome AlanDente. The way to engage with Muslims is the same way you engage with anyone - if you want extra brownie points then say "salaam alaikum" and shake their hand (if they are male only, otherwise kiss your hand goodbye - just kidding).

Hello AlanDente,

I find it interesting that you came on a forum like this to ask how to interact with Muslims, as I am not sure if you know, that this is an "ex-Muslim" forum and the majority of the people here are no longer Muslims. Maybe you should also go to a Muslim forum and discuss that with them.
    Which part of the UK do you live in? I live around the Fulham area in London, and there are many Somalians very close by who I happen to come across quite often.

I am actually a Muslim, and I find it very hard to interact with Muslims. Despite the fact that Islam teaches one to have an upright character and to be kind and just towards people.

AbaAbdillah, I don't want to turn this into another "on the fence" thread but don't you think that Islam and particularly the way the Qur'an talks about disbelievers has some part to play in Muslims in general being more, let's just say at best "indifferent" to their non-Muslim neighbours? As for why Muslims don't get along with Muslims, well as a Muslim I starkly remember how race trumped the idea of unity even in small gatherings like jummah prayers, people would only mingle with people from the same mother country.

It's not that Muslims have fallen off the wagon in terms of social etiquette, it's just that they have been stuck in reaction mode and are clinging to their religious traditions probably more strongly than they have ever before, which are in turn failing them miserably.
     Reply #8 - January 19, 2011, 07:25 PM

I have heard that too. Ironically I remember hearing an English convert say that and thinking she seems to have forgotten she converted after a holiday to Egypt and falling in love with the country and it's people.

I think many say this or similar things because once they become Muslim they then hold Muslims up to a much higher standard than they did before they were Muslim - and of course become disappointed with the reality which they are now also more intimately familiar with.
     Reply #9 - January 19, 2011, 08:42 PM

Hi AlanDente! Welcome to the forum Smiley I too was raised to believe in Christianity, although I suspect not in such a strict fashion as yourself. May I ask what your views are now?
     Reply #10 - January 19, 2011, 10:36 PM

Also, don't mind AbaAbdillah. He is a muslim here and trying his hardest to convert us back to his terrorist religion.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #11 - January 19, 2011, 10:58 PM

Hes joking
     Reply #12 - January 19, 2011, 11:20 PM

I have heard that too. Ironically I remember hearing an English convert say that and thinking she seems to have forgotten she converted after a holiday to Egypt and falling in love with the country and it's people.

I think many say this or similar things because once they become Muslim they then hold Muslims up to a much higher standard than they did before they were Muslim - and of course become disappointed with the reality which they are now also more intimately familiar with.

Absolutely insane! BTW is religion considered as one of the vital basic needs of a human being in Britain?
    No wonder they come up with statements like "That's not true Islam"
    Their pronouncements on the religion based on a knowledge that is skimpier than a mini skirt ,makes them insufferable.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #13 - January 19, 2011, 11:22 PM

Hes joking

Even if he was, that was still out of line.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #14 - January 19, 2011, 11:41 PM

I know.. I just didn't want someone to hijack the thread like the fence one.. Tongue

and many others...
     Reply #15 - January 20, 2011, 01:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Thanks, and peace.

Let me tell you about some experiences I had with few Muslims.

I was walking on the Syracuse University campus, Syracuse, NY. One guy came up to me and said hi then asked me, "Are you a Muslim?" I said, "No". He walked away. The guy looked like a Middle Easterner.

The second experience I had was in Canada. I was waiting on the bus stop one morning at about 8 am. One Pakistani guy was waiting also. He looked at me and asked me in Hindi (Urdu according to him), "Are you a Muslim". I said, "No". He moved away.

The third experience I had was while I was walking one summer evening in down town of my city. I heard, "Salaam Alaikum." I was pleasantly surprised. I looked at the gentleman with a smile, I knew what to say, "Walaikum Salaam". Before I opened my mouth he asked me, "Are you a Muslim". Well I couldn't help. I raised my both hands and said, "Thank God I am not, thank God I am not a Muslim." He just walked away without saying a word. I would have talked to him if he had not walked away.

Fortunately, such incidences are not very common.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #16 - January 20, 2011, 01:08 AM

Trust me, you get an even better response when you reply with "I used to be"  Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - January 20, 2011, 01:14 AM

Trust me, you get an even better response when you reply with "I used to be"  Cheesy

Gotta try that one!  Cheesy
     Reply #18 - January 20, 2011, 01:14 AM

Cheesy Thanks. Next time. But that would be a lie.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #19 - January 20, 2011, 01:15 AM

AbaAbdillah, I don't want to turn this into another "on the fence" thread but don't you think that Islam and particularly the way the Qur'an talks about disbelievers has some part to play in Muslims in general being more, let's just say at best "indifferent" to their non-Muslim neighbours? As for why Muslims don't get along with Muslims, well as a Muslim I starkly remember how race trumped the idea of unity even in small gatherings like jummah prayers, people would only mingle with people from the same mother country.

It's not that Muslims have fallen off the wagon in terms of social etiquette, it's just that they have been stuck in reaction mode and are clinging to their religious traditions probably more strongly than they have ever before, which are in turn failing them miserably.

lol I won't say too much on that, in case it turns into a debate.
    You are absolutely right, unfortunetely because of some verses they will tend to be hostile towards "non-believers".
    I have come across many Muslims who do not like to associate with non-muslims beyond necessity, and use verses from the Quran to justify their position.
    However these people are a minority and are even hostile with other Muslims who don't agree with them.
    Just to wrap it up, the way I understand it, is you are allowed as a Muslim to marry Jews and Christians, so it would seem strange why you wouldn't be able to befriend them.
    Verses 60:7-9 are what I use if I argue with a salafi who disagrees with me.
    Enough about that though.

As for Muslims towards each other. I think that's the case for the older generations, but the younger generations who grew up here, they have a wide mix of friends.
    The "reaction mode" is all for show, a few people take it to more extremes, and I don't agree with the salafi interpretation that is on the rise.

I agree to a certain degree. From another angle.
    A white English person would get exalted in an Arab country, so I can understand why they would love the people. But are they treating them so special because of their religious obligation, or due to the fact that they are tourists, and happen to be white?
    I have experienced extremely poor manners and poor hygiene from Muslims, and I think it's due to them getting their priorities mixed up.
    They put so much emphasis in looking the part, and hardly on acting the part.
    It's not just about growing the beard and wearing something Muhammad (SAW) wore, and then putting aside basic manners.
    I could fill up a whole thread with stories about what happens when I go to the mosque.
    On the flip side I have met people who are very sincere and truly have love for everyone and would never shun a non-muslim.

Hey signwelcome

I know.. I just didn't want someone to hijack the thread like the fence one.. Tongue

But you see when you act like a little bitch like that you already divert the topic.
    Yeah that's exactly what I am trying to do, convert people! Seriously grow up.
     Reply #20 - January 20, 2011, 01:27 AM

Fair enough. I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's nice to see what your views are anyway.
     Reply #21 - January 20, 2011, 11:20 AM

You will end up wishing you hadn't said that!  Cheesy

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #22 - January 20, 2011, 11:26 AM

You will end up wishing you hadn't said that!  Cheesy

Nah, love doing it & have done it loads of times already.  Look forward to the opportunity of doing it some more but am running out of people to do it too Cry

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #23 - January 20, 2011, 01:26 PM

probably visit a local Mosque one day, and ask them that question directly.

I can just see the dawahganda that would lead to  Roll Eyes
     Reply #24 - January 20, 2011, 01:38 PM

But you see when you act like a little bitch like that you already divert the topic.
    Yeah that's exactly what I am trying to do, convert people! Seriously grow up.

If you want further discussion, you are welcome to create a one on one match here and leave introduction section for introductions only.

and many others...
     Reply #25 - January 20, 2011, 06:22 PM

he asked me, "Are you a Muslim". Well I couldn't help. I raised my both hands and said, "Thank God I am not, thank God I am not a Muslim." He just walked away without saying a word.

Can't imagine why he did that.  Roll Eyes
     Reply #26 - January 20, 2011, 07:45 PM

Split thread - please stay on topic, this is an intro thread. Smiley
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=14328

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #27 - January 20, 2011, 07:55 PM

Hello everyone,

Thanks, and peace.

By the way, as CEMB's welcome tradition, here is a parrot for you:  parrot

Enjoy your stay here. You will have a lot of fun.. Smiley

and many others...
     Reply #28 - January 20, 2011, 08:34 PM

Are you a convert to Islam Huh? Usually if my parents see converts they are in complete shock mainly because they are white and muslim (at the same time which is impossible ofcourse Wink) my family get happy and try and use it as evidence of Islam being the "supreme" truth....

As Somali I recognise that fleeing the war and coming to the west they feel alien to their surroundings and can only  identify with   their own . 10 years ago when the Somali community was smaller my mother would grab the opportunity to speak to any Somali . My dad chats to everyone non muslim or Muslim ....So I'm kinda shocked lol .

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »