Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Enemies not Allies

(Read 26482 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Enemies not Allies
     Reply #60 - January 27, 2011, 09:38 PM

An interesting event, but I thought the panel was too large, the scope too wide and the time too short for much progress to be made in developing a consensus and agreeing upon a common position and future approach.

Understandably, the organisers wanted to look at the way in which both the authoritarian right (BNP, EDL, SIOE) and their counterparts on the left (Stop the War, UAF), use and distort the debate for their own ends. Given the time restraints though, a focus purely on the former would have been better and may have gone some way to avoid the rushed nature of the second half of the event. Else, making this an all- or half-dayer would have been the way to go.

Douglas Murry was certainly entertaining, and every bit as talented an orator as I'd expected, but I think he had a part to play in what became a rather confused discussion regarding the EDL. Whilst all panellists and vocal attendees seemed to be in agreement that the BNP were hijacking the fight against Islamism in various ways and for various reasons, no such agreement was forthcoming on the EDL. I find this bizarre considering the origins, membership and activities of this organisation, not to mention the statements made by prominent EDL members. The BNP, at present, are a fast dissolving entity, and one that most people have a reasonable understanding of in terms of their ideology. The EDL, on the other hand, have rapidly expanded and are something of an enigma to the British public. I could well imagine that a word association game with many people may go something like: "BNP"..."racist", "EDL"..."err, hmmm, I dunno, English??". That they have not yet been labelled in the public consciousness makes them dangerous. They also have a big street presence and, unlike the BNP, the EDL's constituent mix of old school neo-Nazism and revived 1970's/80's hooliganism, represents a genuine risk of street warfare in the UK.

I hope that no one involved in CEMB or One Law for All would want to allow Muslims to be made to feel that they are at risk of physical attacks. The fact that this would be strategically disastrous in beating radical Islam, in promoting social cohesion and in freeing those trapped in "Muslim communities" is an aside. More importantly, we must never ever resort to the promotion or appeasement of physical violence against other humans simply for their thoughts and beliefs. By forming alliances, however strategic and transient, with the EDL, we would be doing exactly that. It would achieve nothing that we currently fight for, it would destroy the good name of secularism and, I should hope, it would make it difficult for us to look ourselves in the mirror. The conference title was "Enemies nor allies", and the EDL are just that.

The role that the CEMB and One Law for All must play, as Maryam stated repeatedly and passionately yesterday, is as an alternative. We exist, in part, to show people that you CAN disagree with Islam, with Islamism and with actions carried out in their name, without being racist, without being bigoted, narrow-minded, hateful, threatening, violent or divisive. If we fail to show the greater public that they can criticise Islam, legitimately, for the sake of liberalism and freedom, then we leave them stuck - in either frustrated self-censored apathy, or in the hands of groups just as extreme and just as dangerous as the Islamists we oppose.

Good post Chris. You're a deep thinker here. Trust me, no one there last night supported the EDL. Discussions around the bigger picture was good though - well anyways, hope to see you again.

Btw, I was very pro-Reeperbahn because of the bars/clubs and restaurants it has - hope you didn't think of me being fantastically sleazy or that one particular blocked off road they have in Hamburg which women should not enter! Grin (This was a completely different debate all - a good one though!)
     Reply #61 - January 27, 2011, 09:40 PM

Btw, all due respect to Maryam - but I do feel that unfortunately her being a pro-Communist really degrades her credibility which is a real shame because she is very right on a lot of things concerning Islam. I hope that people can try to stand with her on Islam and not for her commy views.
     Reply #62 - January 27, 2011, 10:10 PM

unless you're a woman or pregnant

A woman or pregnant?  Tongue

Btw, all due respect to Maryam - but I do feel that unfortunately her being a pro-Communist really degrades her credibility which is a real shame because she is very right on a lot of things concerning Islam. I hope that people can try to stand with her on Islam and not for her commy views.

I don't think it should detract from her credibility at all.  CEMB isn't a communist organisation, and its members belong to all different political parties and none.  I think that's just a red herring.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #63 - January 27, 2011, 10:17 PM

n't think it should detract from her credibility at all.  CEMB isn't a communist organisation, and its members belong to all different political parties and none.  I think that's just a red herring.

+1

I think communism is complete bollocks - but I love Maryam and it was because of her her that started supporting and joined CEMB back in 2007. I am totally with her on all her stances. She is a rare and genuine gem!  Afro
     Reply #64 - January 27, 2011, 10:26 PM

I don't think it should detract from her credibility at all.  CEMB isn't a communist organisation, and its members belong to all different political parties and none.  I think that's just a red herring.

I agree for the most part but a tad bit of me is not so sure. There was a massive "Communist party of Iran" flag flying at the No Sharia protest last summer which confused onlookers by.

As Douglas put it last night: no political system in the world has killed more people, not even Nazism. Communism is strongly correlated to totalitarianism. And at the same time Maryam is battling against the totalitarianism of Islam. The most ironic thing with all due respect - CEMB needs MONEY right now - that thing which causes economic growth and allows us to post on this forum thanks to the flotation of Intel, Microsoft and others being publicly traded on international exchanges (just as the simplest and most obvious example I could put to you).

But anyway - I agree with Maryam we need to be more united than divided, whatever out differences on other things and I think even Douglas is aware of this (however frustrating). Anyhow, I have great respect for Maryam and agree with her on many things and I'm not discrediting her just because of this - I'm just highlighting it. Smiley
     Reply #65 - January 27, 2011, 10:31 PM

As Douglas put it last night: no political system in the world has killed more people, not even Nazism.

Poor comparison.  Nazism wasn't stable enough to last, it imploded after 12 years.  Communism, in most countries who adopted it,  has lasted for decades.  Believe me, if Hitler had lived as long a lifetime as Stalin his death toll would be at least as high, if not higher.

Anyway, pretty much the only opposition to the Mullahs in Iran is the Iranian Communist Party, so it doesn't surprise me that an Iranian secularist would throw her lot in with the commies.  Although I, like Hassan, think Communism is bollocks, I can understand why other peoples' mileage may vary.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #66 - January 27, 2011, 11:02 PM

Poor comparison.  Nazism wasn't stable enough to last, it imploded after 12 years.  Communism, in most countries who adopted it,  has lasted for decades.  Believe me, if Hitler had lived as long a lifetime as Stalin his death toll would be at least as high, if not higher.

Hmm ... would have to do my h/w with the stats but point taken.

Anyway, pretty much the only opposition to the Mullahs in Iran is the Iranian Communist Party, so it doesn't surprise me that an Iranian secularist would throw her lot in with the commies.  Although I, like Hassan, think Communism is bollocks, I can understand why other peoples' mileage may vary.

Oh I see. Thanks Cheetah - explains a lot. Smiley
     Reply #67 - January 27, 2011, 11:15 PM

Afro

I dunno if stats would help in any comparison between Nazism and Communism tbh.  Just look at the killing frenzy the Nazis went into in Auschwitz in the final days of the war if you want to see what they would have been capable of if they'd won the war. 

Reply #68 - January 28, 2011, 10:15 PM

It's on youtube now.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sighteffect#p/u/2/Q8ztRcz4v28

Reply #69 - January 28, 2011, 11:05 PM

My heroine! 001_wub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGfg5Ll-6s
     Reply #70 - January 29, 2011, 10:07 PM

Maryam & Douglas finishing up for the evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wgAliHwrNo

Some truly, excellent points with just a tad of banter comical ingenuity of course!  Cheesy
     Reply #71 - January 29, 2011, 10:20 PM

Btw, the reason things got a bit tense with the above video was because of the speaker beforehand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQL1jSnwNQ

Gotta love Shiraz! Cheesy
     Reply #72 - January 29, 2011, 10:47 PM

I dunno if stats would help in any comparison between Nazism and Communism tbh.  Just look at the killing frenzy the Nazis went into in Auschwitz in the final days of the war if you want to see what they would have been capable of if they'd won the war.  

Some quick/rough stats:

Communism
    Deaths: 94 million (+/- 15 million)
    Time span: let's say 1917 - 1979
    Average: ~1.5 million per year
    Perpetrators: not really dealt with (from a brief read / what I gather)

Nazism
    Deaths: 15 million (+/- 3 million)
    Time span: fairly definitive, around 1933 - 1945
    Average: ~12 million per year
    Perpetrators: mostly tried and executed

Conclusion: communism has killed more over a larger time span with less justice applied to the protagonist? Just marvellous.

Sources
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Book_of_Communism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_communism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
     Reply #73 - January 29, 2011, 11:06 PM

Thanks HO - sorry I couldn't make it.

Btw, no need to be sorry!
     Reply #74 - January 29, 2011, 11:09 PM

CEMB is looked down upon as an Islamophobic organization to many liberals. (It makes them feel uneasy to support CEMB)

Why is CEMB called an Islamophobic organization?

We have Muslim family and loved ones, and are certainly not ignorant of Islam.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #75 - January 29, 2011, 11:36 PM

Not "called", I wrote "look down upon". There is a difference. CEMB is for the most part an anti-Islamic organisation. Just read what the members have to say: http://www.ex-muslim.org.uk/indexMembers.html

To your average Englishman; being anti-Christian or anti-Religion is fine. But anti-Islam triggers alarm bells ringing of bigotry, hatred which leads to victimization and therefore Islamophobia. This is because they feel being anti-Islam means being anti-Muslim. Now, we know there is a difference seeing we have Muslim friends and families, but this subtly is not apparent to others.
     Reply #76 - January 29, 2011, 11:40 PM

Just To your average Englishman; being anti-Christian or anti-Religion is fine. But anti-Islam triggers alarm bells ringing of bigotry, hatred which leads to victimization and therefore Islamophobia.

Oh, I see.

It's just the double standard and special treatment of Islam.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #77 - January 30, 2011, 12:20 AM

Great discussion - really sad I missed it. I don't agree with Douglas - we can never entertain the EDL as long as they clearly have fascists and racists amongst them. That doesn't mean we don't understand or will join with those who have concerns about immigration - but we will NEVER join with a group that so clearly contains such detestable elements.

Get rid of them and stop all the football hooligan nonsense and maybe we can talk.

Until then - forget it.

I still like Douglas though - and he is a voice that needs to be heard - even though I disagree with him on many things. (And I just can't help liking the chap!)
     Reply #78 - January 30, 2011, 12:00 PM

It's just the double standard and special treatment of Islam.

Yes, exactly.

I don't agree with Douglas - we can never entertain the EDL as long as they clearly have fascists and racists amongst them. That doesn't mean we don't understand or will join with those who have concerns about immigration - but we will NEVER join with a group that so clearly contains such detestable elements.

Get rid of them and stop all the football hooligan nonsense and maybe we can talk.

Until then - forget it.

Hassan, you would have joined Maryam, Thinky, Pharia, Chris saying the same thing at the bar and I would have been single handedly trying to persuade you all you've miss understood Murray (I think).

He's not asking you to join the EDL or entertain them. He is asking don't write off the growth in the rising numbers by saying, "Oh fanstastic, hooligans, therefore I will ignore them all from this debate because I set these liberal terms and conditions before we even start a debate".

There are underlying reasons for the growth in the EDL and this is what has to be addressed. When there are concerns on mass (uncontrolled) immigration, on the appeasement of Islam and hard-line Islamic groups by the common people - then they have a right to ask questions about this. When the common person isn't allowed to say any of this (just look at how Jack Straw was beaten by the media for his comments on young Pakistani men when he clearly said the majority of rapists in jails in the UK are WHITE MALES), then you end up in this position where:

Extreme left -> Far Left -> Left ->  Slight Left -> Neutral <- ... nothing here ... <- Far right <- Extreme Right

This "nothing here" part is missing with "Slight Right" and "Right" . This gives common people a choice: associated yourself with "Far Right" or "Light Left". This inevitably leads to the growth in organisations like the EDL, like our Arthur here who is scared of what's going on but can't find any less right group to join and therefore he jumps on the EDL bandwagon.

Now, if we were to stop writing off right-ish comments the common person has (e.g. baning the burka, banning sharia law, dealing with mass uncontrolled immigration, discussing frankly about assimilation of second generation people) then just possibly we'll have the "Slight Right" and "Right" groups open into the debate.

Personally I think there is an imbalance in the UK of the left. I think Mehdi Hasan optimized this at the New Statesman! Grin
     Reply #79 - January 30, 2011, 12:07 PM

Btw, when listening to speakers like Maryam, Shiraz or Murray, let's not forget, these are pretty bright intellectuals. Talking to them face to face is like drinking out of a fire hose pipe! My point is - listen to them carefully and read between the lines because while you and I are getting on with our work on a daily basis (teaching, studying, solving other technical problems) these people have more time day in day out to study what's going on so when they come at you like a freight train with information and ideas - take your time to digest it rather than putting on any filter while listening to them because you might, just might, miss a lot of important points.
     Reply #80 - January 30, 2011, 01:28 PM

Douglas is a turn on, but I am sure he wouldn't like me.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #81 - January 30, 2011, 01:43 PM

If I was gay, Douglas would be the type of man I would go for

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #82 - January 30, 2011, 01:46 PM

You still are at-least 20% gay.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #83 - January 30, 2011, 02:50 PM

So far Douglas Murray isn't really influencing my views.  He is reaffirming them.  I thought like him before I even knew who he was.  So I won't say "I agree with Douglas".  I will say "Douglas agrees with me".

Hassan I'm sure you remember me saying something similar to Douglas many months ago on the phone (not as eloquently as him though).

ie that there are loads of perfectly decent people who aren't as knowledgeable about Islam as me or you, but they realise that there is a problem.  These people shouldn't be dismissed so quickly.  They need to be engaged with.  I can see why many of them would be attracted to the EDL.  Afterall the Left aren't exactly tackling this issue very well.

Also, it seems like anyone in the public sphere who criticises Islam needs to go through a CBR check, be of the highest moral character, and they must concur with the philosophy of the of liberal Left.  If they fail in any of these tests then their criticism of Islam (however valid) is dismissed and the focus turns to them.  ie, the Islamists get another lifeline and more breathing space to proselytise.

Reply #84 - January 30, 2011, 04:35 PM

Hassan I'm sure you remember me saying something similar to Douglas many months ago on the phone (not as eloquently as him though).

ie that there are loads of perfectly decent people who aren't as knowledgeable about Islam as me or you, but they realise that there is a problem.  These people shouldn't be dismissed so quickly.  They need to be engaged with.  I can see why many of them would be attracted to the EDL.

Yes, I do remember you expressed the same views.

Look, I have no problem engaging with 'individuals' who have concerns about immigration etc... But I will never engage with any 'organisation' that includes far-right Nazi supporters and racists or conducts themselves in the way EDL do.

Any individuals from EDL who want to engage with us 'as individuals and not as EDL' they are welcome.

But the EDL organistation itself - forget it.

Once they truly purge the nazis and racists, get a grip and stop acting like thugs - then perhaps we can engage with EDL as an organisation.

But as I say, until then, forget it!
     Reply #85 - January 30, 2011, 08:37 PM

Any individuals from EDL who want to engage with us 'as individuals and not as EDL' they are welcome.

We are so nearly in agreement then! I said to Maryam I think Murray and her would be in agreement if there was more understanding. I still stand by it! Grin

So far Douglas Murray isn't really influencing my views.  He is reaffirming them.  I thought like him before I even knew who he was.  So I won't say "I agree with Douglas".  I will say "Douglas agrees with me".

We must be the only two here I think!
     Reply #86 - January 31, 2011, 01:53 PM

However I am astonished that you say some appeared to have a soft attitude towards EDL. I know Maryam has always adamantly rejected their approaches for alliance. They should not be touched with a barge pole!

Hassan, I did not mean to imply that Maryam, or indeed anyone involved in One Law for All or the CEMB, advocated alliance with the EDL. However, there were certainly EDL sympathisers and, I am confident in saying, supporters/members in the audience. Their contributions (and very enthusiastic support for some of Douglas' more interpretable utterances) generated an atmosphere in which casual attendees could be forgiven for thinking that collaboration with the EDL remained a viable option. That was my interpretation at least.

i only have one question: did pariah get shitfaced after two wines again?

She deffered such behaviour to the following night...oh Frederico!

Good post Chris. You're a deep thinker here. Trust me, no one there last night supported the EDL.

I have to disagree with you there. Using my wonderful powers of presumption and labelling, I could have confidently identified four EDL members/supporters, and a few others at least sympathetic to them. ThinkFree was sitting next to me and he may agree...

With regards Murray, as we discussed in the pub (before it all descended into prostitution...), I'm not adamant that Murray is an EDL supporter, but think that he may be attempting to redefine the centre ground by bringing their sentiments into the mainstream. Without the EDL and similar organisations, Murray is perceived by some to be on the right fringe of acceptability, but bring them into the picture, and his views appear all the more centrist. Maybe I'm being paranoid. I attempted, and I fear failed, to explain this on the night using Pariah's wine glass and a beer mat. Have I been any clearer this time?!

...you can't completely deny someone's voice completely out of the debate when they say things that majority liberals in the UK cannot seem to pallet

Agreed. I find myself agreeing with your interpretation of Murray's statements much more than I did with the statements themselves!

The EDL have posted an article on their website about the conference, entitled "Allies Not Enemies – The EDL And The Sharia Literate Left United In The Counterjihad?" It makes for interesting reading: http://englishdefenceleague.org/content.php?198-Allies-Not-Enemies-%96-The-EDL-And-The-Sharia-Literate-Left-United-In-The-Counterjihad
     Reply #87 - January 31, 2011, 02:19 PM

ThinkFree was sitting next to me and he may agree...

I have no idea who this guy is or what he's on about. Although, I did spot a Gay that night who I subsequently warned a small Pakistanian child not to speak to over my garden fence. Said child thanked Allah for His mercy and skipped off clutching what looked like a bomb belt fashioned out of sweets.

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #88 - January 31, 2011, 08:51 PM

Hi Chris et all I've not the time to digest all this but here you go:

Douglas Murray welcomes the EDL as 'a grassroots response from ...
    By Bob Pitt
    Douglas Murray, Director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, couldn't see why it was wrong for more mainstream right-wing Islamophobes such as himself to express solidarity the likes of the EDL. As Murray put it: ...
    Islamophobia Watch - http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/

Douglas Murray Calls For Counterjihad Unity At One Law For All ...
    By Aeneas
    One Law For All held its 'Enemies not Allies' seminar in London on 26 January 2011 and it seems that Douglas Murray may have told them some home truths that they did not necessarily want to hear. In our coverage in the run up to the ...
    Liberties Alliance - http://www.libertiesalliance.org/

DOUGLAS MURRAY DEFENDS THE EDL…….. |
    By KGS
    DOUGLAS MURRAY DEFENDS THE EDL…….. Posted on 29/01/2011 by KGS. This entry was posted in EDL. Bookmark the permalink. ← BARRY RUBIN: THE NEW YORK TIMES HEARTS AL-JAZEERA……. Leave a Reply Cancel reply. Your email address will not be ...
    - http://tundratabloids.com/

The West, Islam and Sharia: Douglas Murray in support of the EDL
    By West World
    Douglas Murray in support of the EDL. Posted by West World at Saturday, January 29, 2011. Labels: Communism, EDL, Great Britain, Robert Spencer, Sharia Law, SIOA, SIOE, The Left, Totalitarianism • Older Post Home. Tweet This ...
    The West, Islam and Sharia - http://thewestislamandsharia.blogspot.com/

THE ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE EXTRA: Douglas Murray in support of the ...
    By THE ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE EXTRA
    Douglas Murray in support of the EDL at One-Law-For-All Conference. From Wikipedia -. Douglas Kear Murray, born 16 July 1979, and a political writer from Lewis, Scotland. Since April 2007 he has been the director of the Centre for ...
    THE ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE EXTRA - http://theenglishdefenceleagueextra.blogspot.com/
     Reply #89 - January 31, 2011, 08:57 PM

Gotta love the EDL claiming Douglas supports them! Which is why his thinktank writes white papers scrutinizing them.  Roll Eyes There is so much rubbish in the media and blogosphere.

Chris - yeah, he's a centrist I feel. The balance of things are so tipped left he appears on the right though.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »