Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Jack Straw says some UK Pakistani men see white girls as "easy meat" for sex

(Read 36610 times)
  • 12 3 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Jack Straw says some UK Pakistani men see white girls as "easy meat" for sex
     OP - January 08, 2011, 12:19 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12141603

Former home secretary Jack Straw has said some UK Pakistani men see white girls as "easy meat" for sex abuse.

The Blackburn MP was speaking after two Asian men who abused girls in Derby were given indeterminate jail terms.

He said there was a "specific problem" in some areas where Pakistani men "target vulnerable white girls".

But Keith Vaz, chairman of the home affairs select committee, said it was not a cultural problem and it was wrong to stereotype a whole community.

And Barnados chief executive Martin Narey said the case was more about vulnerable children of all races who were at risk from abuse.

On Friday, Mohammed Liaqat, 28, and Abid Saddique, 27, were jailed at Nottingham Crown Court after being found guilty at a trial in November of charges including rape.

The judge in the case said the race of the victims and their abusers was "coincidental".

However, speaking on the BBC's Newsnight programme after the case, Mr Straw said vulnerable white girls were at risk of being targeted by some Asian men.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The string of convictions in cities such as Rotherham, Preston, Blackburn, Rochdale and now Derby have more often than not involved Asian men, specifically men of Pakistani origin, and mainly Muslim.”

Concerns over sex abuse grooming
    He said his own constituency was one of the areas where it was a problem and called on the Pakistani community to be "more open" about the abuse.

He said: "Pakistanis, let's be clear, are not the only people who commit sexual offences, and overwhelmingly the sex offenders' wings of prisons are full of white sex offenders.

"But there is a specific problem which involves Pakistani heritage men... who target vulnerable young white girls.

"We need to get the Pakistani community to think much more clearly about why this is going on and to be more open about the problems that are leading to a number of Pakistani heritage men thinking it is OK to target white girls in this way."

Mr Straw added: "These young men are in a western society, in any event, they act like any other young men, they're fizzing and popping with testosterone, they want some outlet for that, but Pakistani heritage girls are off-limits and they are expected to marry a Pakistani girl from Pakistan, typically," he said.

"So they then seek other avenues and they see these young women, white girls who are vulnerable, some of them in care... who they think are easy meat.

"Because they're vulnerable they ply them with gifts, they give them drugs, and then of course they're trapped."

But Mr Vaz, who said he represented many men of Pakistani origin in his Leicester constituency, stressed the judge in the Derby case had said the crimes were not "racially aggravated".

He told the BBC's Today programme: "What I don't think we can do is say that this is a cultural problem. One can accept the evidence which is put before us about patterns and networks but to go that step further I think is pretty dangerous."

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It's a form of racism that's abhorrent in a civilised society”

Mohammed Shafiq
    Ramadhan Foundation
    He added: "Why didn't Jack Straw say something about this (before)? He has represented Blackburn for 31 years, he's been the home secretary."

Liaqat and Saddique were the ringleaders of a gang which groomed and abused teenage girls, ranging in age from 12 to 18.

Many of the gang's victims were given alcohol or drugs before being forced to have sex in cars, rented houses or hotels across the Midlands.

Saddique, from Normanton, Derby, was jailed for at least 11 years and Liaqat, from the Sinfin area of the city, was locked up for a minimum of eight years.

Six other men had already been sentenced for their part in the abuse.

'Self-fulfilling prophecy'
    Mohammed Shafiq, director of the Muslim youth group the Ramadhan Foundation, said the abuse was fuelled by racism in parts of the Asian community.

"There is a perception that some of these young men do not see white girls as equal, as valuable, of high moral standing as they see their own daughters, and their own sisters, and I think that's wrong," he said.

"It's a form of racism that's abhorrent in a civilised society."

Mohammed Liaqat (left) and Abid Saddique, 27 were convicted of rape
    Martin Narey, chief executive of Barnardo's, said: "If there is one good thing which comes out of the Derby case it's that police will realise it's happening everywhere. It's happening in towns and cities wherever there are vulnerable girls, and in some cases boys."

But he said: "I certainly don't think it's just a Pakistani thing. My staff would say there is an over-representation of people from ethnic minority groups among perpetrators - Afghans, people from Arabic nations, Pakistanis. But it's not just one nation."

He called for more research and said: "I don't think this is so much about targeting white girls - because there black girls are also victims - it's about targeting vulnerable, isolated girls.

"And I don't sign up to the proposition that these men convicted yesterday would not have abused a vulnerable Asian girl if one had been available to them."
  • Re: Jack Straw says some UK Pakistani men see white girls as "easy meat" for sex
     Reply #1 - January 08, 2011, 12:21 PM

Reactions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12141863

I agree with this comment:

Jack straw is spot on. The problem is there within the wider community. In case of Pakistani community it is often suppressed due to social family considerations. Full exposure is required in order to tackle this unfortunate problem, and protect young girls. Khalid Malik, Weybridge, Surrey
  • Re: Jack Straw says some UK Pakistani men see white girls as "easy meat" for sex
     Reply #2 - January 08, 2011, 02:29 PM

And that poster is a Khalid, it's not racist his comment, it's reality. Thanks HO for this ( thnkyu), was just about to post it myself but then saw your thread. I shall comment further later.

Keep up the good work guys, debate is good  Afro!
     Reply #3 - January 08, 2011, 02:39 PM

Its definitely a problem thats been happening for a few years in the north and then in this most recent case in Derby in the east Midlands.

People have to tread carefully because its an issue that has to be addressed, at the same time, the stereotyping that can happen by some, especially BNP types, is not helpful.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #4 - January 08, 2011, 02:39 PM

You should implement Jim Crow laws to keep innocent white girls from being raped by animalistic brown bucks.

fuck you
     Reply #5 - January 08, 2011, 02:46 PM

Its not like that Q. There genuinely has been a phenomenon of gangs of mostly Pakistani men grooming under age white girls, getting them on drugs and drink, and then passed around to other men so these girls, in their early teens some of them as young as 13, 14, end up getting raped by dozens of men. And evidence shows that race may be a factor, the girls are racially abused. And its happened in different towns and cities, and is something of an undercover issue that they are only just getting to see the size of.

I agree with you though that this issue is incendiary, because it can be used to negatively stereotype and create mistrust and fear. It has been somewhat swept under the carpet until now.

I find it really disturbing, and proceed with caution on a case by case basis. This issue needs to be handled with care.

God is Love.

Reply #6 - January 08, 2011, 02:52 PM

1. And what difference does the ethnicity of the perpetrators and victims make in terms of policy?

2. For the underage girls being "groomed", where are their parents? Don't they have any responsibility here? Or just the dirty Pakis?

fuck you
     Reply #7 - January 08, 2011, 03:01 PM

its not just about "white girls" qman.  Girls of african decent are affected too.
    ITS WESTERN women, and just so happens that a high percentage of WESTERN
    women, are white.  

My two cents?  Dont talk about rape if you don't have a fucking clue.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #8 - January 08, 2011, 03:03 PM

My ignore list just keeps growing and growing.

fuck you
     Reply #9 - January 08, 2011, 03:03 PM

Check this out Q:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12137400

Like that guy in the above article said:

"I certainly don't think it's just a Pakistani thing. My staff would say there is an over-representation of people from ethnic minority groups among perpetrators - Afghans, people from Arabic nations, Pakistanis. But it's not just one nation."

He called for more research and said: "I don't think this is so much about targeting white girls - because there black girls are also victims - it's about targeting vulnerable, isolated girls.

"And I don't sign up to the proposition that these men convicted yesterday would not have abused a vulnerable Asian girl if one had been available to them."

1. And what difference does the ethnicity of the perpetrators and victims make in terms of policy?

"Mohammed Shafiq, director of the Muslim youth group the Ramadhan Foundation, said the abuse was fuelled by racism in parts of the Asian community."

The enticity of victims has no bearing though - as noted above the issue here is one of vulnerability.

2. For the underage girls being "groomed", where are their parents? Don't they have any responsibility here? Or just the dirty Pakis?

Oh, yeah absolutely. A lot of these girls stem from problematic backgrounds.
     Reply #10 - January 08, 2011, 03:04 PM

Q-Man

(1) I don't understand what you mean about policy. The reasons why the convictions are coming regularly now is because the agencies, police, social services etc have only just started to get to grips with it. Important to note that there have been activists from the Pakistani community who have taken the initiative on this too, raising awareness and so on.

(2) Shocked by that to be honest, Q. Takes the primary blame for these rapes away from the perpetrators. These are underage girls being groomed and raped repeatedly by many different men, hooked on drugs, psychologically broken and abused. I've read testimonies, they are heartbreaking. Many of them come from broken homes or live in care and are thereby vulnerable to predatory men. Its not racist to discuss that, the 'dirty Pakis' comment is misplaced.

God is Love.

Reply #11 - January 08, 2011, 03:05 PM

yeah qman.. where are the parents of the muslim girl/woman whose husband
    rapes and beats her?  Chances are HIS mother is just down the hall.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #12 - January 08, 2011, 03:47 PM

Q-Man

(1) I don't understand what you mean about policy. The reasons why the convictions are coming regularly now is because the agencies, police, social services etc have only just started to get to grips with it. Important to note that there have been activists from the Pakistani community who have taken the initiative on this too, raising awareness and so on.

(2) Shocked by that to be honest, Q. Takes the primary blame for these rapes away from the perpetrators. These are underage girls being groomed and raped repeatedly by many different men, hooked on drugs, psychologically broken and abused. I've read testimonies, they are heartbreaking. Many of them come from broken homes or live in care and are thereby vulnerable to predatory men. Its not racist to discuss that, the 'dirty Pakis' comment is misplaced.

Eh, whatever. Jack Straw is a sack of shit. I reserve the right to think the worst of hiim.

fuck you
     Reply #13 - January 08, 2011, 03:52 PM

You are free to think of as a sack of shit anyone you want to  Afro

The men who abuse and rape girls are solely responsible for that abuse, though.

God is Love.

Reply #14 - January 08, 2011, 03:59 PM

Check this out Q:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12137400

Like that guy in the above article said:

"I certainly don't think it's just a Pakistani thing. My staff would say there is an over-representation of people from ethnic minority groups among perpetrators - Afghans, people from Arabic nations, Pakistanis. But it's not just one nation."

"Mohammed Shafiq, director of the Muslim youth group the Ramadhan Foundation, said the abuse was fuelled by racism in parts of the Asian community."

The enticity of victims has no bearing though - as noted above the issue here is one of vulnerability.
    Oh, yeah absolutely. A lot of these girls stem from problematic backgrounds.

I do agree, I think most of it is coincidental in terms of the fact these were white girls and I do worry that politicians may overplay race as a factor. The most important factor here was that they were from broken family backgrounds but I wouldn't totally rule out elements of culture and race being involved either. Race is a sensitive topic so I think it's crucial that these cases are thoroughly analysed and investigated before any conclusions are made.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #15 - January 08, 2011, 08:07 PM

@Lilyesque: pleasure/your welcome! Smiley

Its definitely a problem thats been happening for a few years in the north and then in this most recent case in Derby in the east Midlands.

People have to tread carefully because its an issue that has to be addressed, at the same time, the stereotyping that can happen by some, especially BNP types, is not helpful.

This is the bigger issue, I think: the fact that the media, Joe Blogg's perception on generalisation, far-right minorities and the liberals in the UK all means that people have to "tread" carefully.

The media: the media is about gaining viewers, selling papers and getting website hits. It's not about the truth, it's about what is palatable for the reader, what is sensationalism and will attract an audience. In this case, it is palatable for most British readers to think this is an isolated case. It is sensationalism in the racial and gang issues at hand. And in terms of what Straw has remarked, fuels controversy and more attention (not a bad thing per se, but please read on).

Joe Blogg's perception of generalisation: "It is not good to generalise", Joe is told from a very young age. This creates a culture of taking the benefit of the doubt and thinking the best in people as a group. While I'm not knocking that this is somewhat of a virtue, I do think it off from reality. Reality is full of correlations which are important of practical reasons e.g. judging which race is more likely to suffer from a certain illness than another. Moreover, generalisation is a technical skill I think. Done right, objective data reflects reality. Done wrong, and major biases in thinking and attitudes will be inevitable.

Far-right minorities: These guys will take anything and feed it to less well informed people to pursue unjustifiable means to irrational fear and hatred. Thus the likes of Arthur on this board will buy such rhetoric via confirmation bias. Sensationalism coming from the media is a catalyst for this.

Liberals in the UK: Extending to how Joe Bloggs thinks (from my perception of the average Englishman/woman), there seems to be a culture that it is wrong in any way shape or form to associate a race or label to *anything* negative or pejorative. It's totally okay to say comments like, "Most Asian students are over-achievers", or "Most Jews are really successful in money" but it is a big faux pas to say, "Race xyz is mostly unsuccessful". While I am not condoning largely scoped stereotyping, I am promoting the necessary small and definitively scoped generalisations that exist in our reality. E.g. Many moderate Muslims support Zakir Naik. With reference to the first point on the media, such a comment isn't very palatable with say BBC audience when they learn who/what Zakir Naik really is, and so we end up with a BBC for the most part bending over backwards to give Islam a good "dawahganda" of an image.

I feel that if the above issues could be address, then we would advance from such comments like:

"Jack Straw's comments are a poor reflection on himself and the wider Labour party. The actions here perpetrated by these criminals - who happen to be of Pakistani origin - were outrageous and vile. It is a matter of great concern that a leading politician would so crassly paint a whole heritage of people with the same vile brush. Adam Walker, Leeds"

... and instead we would be able to gather objective data on the race, age, gender of the perpetrators and victims and IF there is a correlation that is beyond doubt of being just coincidence, then one can analyse and find obvious truths in the matter (the issue with Pakistani gangs, their culture, racism to English which are harsh but necessary generalisations in order to then go about resolving the issue. These generalisations would be specific, to the point and are not be confused with comment like "crassly paint a whole heritage of people with the same vile brush."

If Indian men are drugging up teenage white girls, they should be investigated and should be up for discussion. If Bengali gangs are drugging up teenage white girls, they should be investigated and this should be up for discussion. If Swedish gangs have a thing for abusing Chinese women, this should be investigated and should be up for discussion. At any point to not investigate the matter because of fear of racism; or not to discuss the issue because of the fear of generalising an entire populous - that is when nice ideals are out of touch with reality and much like multi-multiculturalism, requires the protagonists to base their future on hope rather than reality and what the data* is evidently showing.

*The data collected must be accurate, complete, fair, timely and have all the other attributes to decent scientific data.
     Reply #16 - January 08, 2011, 08:12 PM

I think there is most definitely a problem not only in the pakistani community but also other desi communities about their views of white women, I have experienced some of this myself but I don't think its a racist problem rather its a society problem where white and/or non muslim women ARE being portrayed as a being 'cheap' by the media (linked to that doc I posted yesterday)

And I don't think qman was trying to take the blame away from the rapists but he does have a point about the parents.
     Reply #17 - January 08, 2011, 08:27 PM

I think there is most definitely a problem not only in the pakistani community but also other desi communities about their views of white women, I have experienced some of this myself but I don't think its a racist problem rather its a society problem where white and/or non muslim women ARE being portrayed as a being 'cheap' by the media (linked to that doc I posted yesterday)

Feel free to relink it.  Every time I hear "the media" I automatically think of a goat whose sins are placed on it and shipped out to the desert.  When African women were slaves the mythos of a sexual promiscuous woman who had untold desires waiting to be sedated and who tactfully agreed to their rape.  When the Spaniards build mitas in Latin America to build the great Spanish empire, the Native American women were considered to be sexual animals to be tamed by the civilized Spaniards. In Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East: 1776 to the Present you'll see the presentation that Middle Eastern women appeared as seductive wildcats women whose lures were cast from behind veils and in harems and who could sexually satisfy their men like tigers.  

I think you'll find this idea that a racial or cultural group of women are perceived as "cheap" or "easy" is tied very easily to the idea of supremism.  You see it all the time in the writings of the Aryan Nation in their views of black and Hispanic women and you see it in the writings of the clerics and imams of Islam.  The correlation seems far too strong to just dismiss. You can go back and read the posts of Berberella where she talks about the views of many lapsed, cultural, and even practicing Muslim males that white women were whores and ok to sleep with because they are considered less pure and legitimate than the Muslimas.  

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #18 - January 08, 2011, 08:31 PM

Liberals in the UK: Extending to how Joe Bloggs thinks (from my perception of the average Englishman/woman), there seems to be a culture that it is wrong in any way shape or form to associate a race or label to *anything* negative or pejorative. It's totally okay to say comments like, "Most Asian students are over-achievers", or "Most Jews are really successful in money" but it is a big faux pas to say, "Race xyz is mostly unsuccessful".

Perfectly nailed it.

It is true that stereotypes can be unpleasant, but like most cliches it is true to a greater or lesser degree. Italians do gesticulate violently, Germans are efficient and the English have bad teeth. Exceptions no doubt exist but they only serve to prove the rule.

On topic: Among a community where mobile tents pass for women, why is it a blinding revelation that its menfolk should look outwards for pretty ankles? The prevailing sentiment among the hairy Turks of my acquaintance, and no doubt among every other Muslim community, is that infidels are skirt-clutching hookers between whose legs a man should dance the amorous nocturnal dance till he can land himself a morally upstanding Muslim wife.
     Reply #19 - January 08, 2011, 08:32 PM

I am disappointed by Jack Straw - first he refuses to carry out his statutory duties by refusing to speak to any electorate wearing a burkha.  Now he claim Pakistani men are more prone to raping innocent white girls.  All this from a so called left wing labourite.  

So when a group of other men try to rape girls, its just seen as rape.  When Pakistanis do it, it turns out that Pakistanis are a bunch of rapists.  

For all Islams flaws, female subjugation, niqabs & covered meat (as in the famous words of the Aussie Mullah),  i'll say one thing for Pakistani men.  They are less likely to have any form of extra-marital sex, because of the extremely conservative attitudes towards women & sex.  And for Jack straw to start blaming it on race, before even contemplating related factors such as poverty, education, ostracisation, or repression though religion is beyond belief.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - January 08, 2011, 08:35 PM

^ that.  Reading his relevant ideas he sounds like a ignorant racist.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
     Reply #21 - January 08, 2011, 08:36 PM

Feel free to relink it.  

Nel Hedayat investigates the controversial world of music videos and meets the girls who dream of dancing in them. Nel spends time with girls who are on the path to success, but also learns about the dark side of an industry where dancers chasing fame can leave themselves open to financial and sexual exploitation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x1wz7/Music_Money_and_Hip_Hop_Honeys/
     Reply #22 - January 08, 2011, 08:40 PM

Sorry I'm not a part of the empire, so I can't watch it.  :(

Reply #23 - January 08, 2011, 08:41 PM

:O The empire needs to become great again! Rule Britannia! Lol

If I find it on another site I'll send you the link  Smiley
     Reply #24 - January 08, 2011, 08:45 PM

^ that.  Reading his relevant ideas he sounds like a ignorant racist.

I dont think he's a racist, he's no right wing Tory enoch powell but an old-school labour party member with a very large Muslim consituency.  Which makes his stance all the more puzzling.  I suspect his strong inclination towards protectionism extends to members of his race & retaining 'English culture'.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #25 - January 08, 2011, 08:48 PM

I thought so.
     Reply #26 - January 08, 2011, 08:51 PM

:O The empire needs to become great again! Rule Britannia! Lol

If I find it on another site I'll send you the link  Smiley

I am aware of the sexual trap that can await a woman in the entertainment industry.  You can read Marylin Monroe's memoir after becoming famous she told a friend, " Ill never have to suck a cock that I don't want to again". Or read up on Eva Mendez's rise to fame as an actress to find out that she was told she would have to wear a bikini for a few years before having a chance to become an actress, and who regrets that he main vault to fame was the naked g/f in Training Day.  I do believe I have watched that documentary before though, something about their being chicks in the bathrooms of video shoots known as the blowjob girls.... if I remember a snippet correctly.  

Now how does that account for the apparent feeling from Asian Islamic men that white women are somehow inferior human beings to Muslim women and are looked at as more of a play thing?  Are they watching too much TV or listening too little to the preachers that say that non Islamic women are whores, sexually tempting, and somehow lesser beings than the pure innocence of the ummah?  I'm not even saying that Islam itself is at fault here, but the sense of identity politic supremism and negating a woman's possibility of being sexually active and still a wholesome human being is an influence on the problem.   

Reply #27 - January 08, 2011, 08:52 PM

I dont think he's a racist, he's no right wing Tory enoch powell but an old-school labour party member with a very large Muslim consituency.  Which makes his stance all the more puzzling.  I suspect his strong inclination towards protectionism extends to members of his race & retaining 'English culture'.

Ok, he sounds like a fearful ignorant person.  I'm sorry Islame but if someone is going to link race as having some kind of intrinsic motivating force behind rape without much backing it up I'm going to have to call it ignorant racism, thats all I can I am forced to do that. 

Reply #28 - January 08, 2011, 08:55 PM

Or perhaps Islame, just maybe, after a lot of thought and consideration he is starting to see issues with multiculturalism, with the lack of desi's integrating in England and the problem with the burqa which he has commented on before. (See "Jack Straw caused controversy in 2006 when he suggested that Muslim women should abandon wearing the burqa because it was a "visible statement of separation and difference".)

Btw, some people will think you are saying he's racist when you write "protectionism extends to members of his race & retaining 'English culture". This isn't racism, this is pure consequential thinking that developed values are better values just like developed engineering is better than third world engineering. I say developed because these values exist in the East too, like Japan/S. Korea/Singapore. Anyhow, I think he is a man of spine and we need more MPs like him to speak up.
     Reply #29 - January 08, 2011, 08:58 PM

Ok, he sounds like a fearful ignorant person.  I'm sorry Islame but if someone is going to link race as having some kind of intrinsic motivating force behind rape without much backing it up I'm going to have to call it ignorant racism, thats all I can I am forced to do that. 

I see what you mean.  I suppose what I was trying to say was that he's not a racist of the white supremacist type, but one of the leftist 'one glove fits all' variety.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • 12 3 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »