Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi from on the fence muslim

(Read 97596 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Hi from on the fence muslim
     Reply #720 - February 14, 2011, 11:05 PM

i believe gorrillas do have souls, grass doesn't have a soul, but in view of what the Quran implies, grass is conscious (in ways we cannot measure).

How about dolphins? Or anything with a developed brain?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #721 - February 14, 2011, 11:06 PM

If you are going to be prepared to believe in something contrary to current scientific knowledge, then as fellow scientist, I would hope you would have some personal understanding/appreciation of it rather than just accepting it.

correction: i am not a scientist (too big a word for me).

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #722 - February 14, 2011, 11:09 PM

neither am I, I mean in the context of somebody who has studied science as a discipline or has a higher degree of appreciation for it as a means to understanding.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #723 - February 14, 2011, 11:09 PM

The distinction though lies in the fact that this question isn't used to justify *soul*

It sorta is. You're saying that as of yet, we haven't been able to explain consciousness, therefore there must be a supernatural reason for it.

In any case, i just can't pretend to know the answer to something when i don't, thus my answer to all of your questions was i don't know.

Afro

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing ~ Socrates

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #724 - February 14, 2011, 11:10 PM

How about dolphins? Or anything with a developed brain?

yeah, i think all such animals have souls (they're not ZOMBIES, but they could be, i can't tell whether they feel/experience being alive or not, by simply looking at them, but i think they do have souls).

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #725 - February 14, 2011, 11:12 PM

It sorta is. You're saying that as of yet, we haven't been able to explain consciousness, therefore there must be a supernatural reason for it.

well, there are more than one proposed solution for it (and soul is philosphically rejected), but i think soul makes sense more than any of the other suggested solutions.

Reply #726 - February 14, 2011, 11:33 PM

and soul is philosphically rejected

In a nutshell, how so?  I thought it was impossible to refute anything using philosophy as a tool?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #727 - February 14, 2011, 11:59 PM

In a nutshell, how so?  I thought it was impossible to refute anything using philosophy as a tool?

The notion of soul opens a can of worms (questions). If you have a certain question, then an answer which poses even more diffcult questions, should be avoided. Specifcally, we know nothing about the nature of the soul, in particuar, we don't know how it would interact with the body (an uncomfortable dichotomy, that poses all sorts of more difficult, unanswered questions).

Reply #728 - February 15, 2011, 12:22 AM

The notion of soul opens a can of worms (questions). If you have a certain question, then an answer which poses even more diffcult questions, should be avoided. Specifcally, we know nothing about the nature of the soul, in particuar, we don't know how it would interact with the body (an uncomfortable dichotomy, that poses all sorts of more difficult, unanswered questions).

I see - its the same as Occams razor.  I am not sure about this justification as a definitive rule  - for starters relativity wouldnt have got of the ground if Einstein had taken this principle on board. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #729 - February 15, 2011, 12:24 AM

Excuse me if I am barking up the wrong tree, but it sounds like you are not entirely comfortable with the notion of a soul DB?  If so, how else could you explain what goes to live on in an after-life?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #730 - February 15, 2011, 12:29 AM

I see - its the same as Occams razor.  I am not sure about this justification as a definitive rule  - for starters relativity wouldnt have got of the ground if Einstein had taken this principle on board. 

not only that, the *notion of soul*, philosophically speaking, is a completely artificial/foreign explanation of a natural (yet not understood) phenomena.

Reply #731 - February 15, 2011, 12:32 AM

Excuse me if I am barking up the wrong tree, but it sounds like you are not entirely comfortable with the notion of a soul DB?  If so, how else could you explain what goes to live on in an after-life?

it's either that or believing that consciousness is a *physical* attribute of matter (which implies all matter is conscious) which, although the Quran implies the same thing, is really harder to accept than the notion of soul.

Reply #732 - February 15, 2011, 12:34 AM

anyway, i'm off.

Reply #733 - February 15, 2011, 12:35 AM

dont worry, I wasnt going to reply to your post  grin12

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #734 - February 15, 2011, 01:03 AM

Regarding the soul, here's a nice little quote from a video of Daniel Dennett:

"Some years ago, there was a lovely philosopher of science and journalist in Italy named Giulio Giorello, and he did an interview with me. And I don’t know if he wrote it or not, but the headline in Corriere della Sera when it was published was "Sì, abbiamo un'anima. Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot – "Yes, we have a soul, but it’s made of lots of tiny robots." And I thought, exactly. That’s the view. Yes, we have a soul, but in what sense? In the sense that our brains, unlike the brains even of dogs and cats and chimpanzees and dolphins, our brains have functional structures that give our brains powers that no other brains have - powers of look-ahead, primarily. We can understand our position in the world, we can see the future, we can understand where we came from. We know that we’re here. No buffalo knows it’s a buffalo, but we jolly well know that we’re members of Homo sapiens, and it’s the knowledge that we have and the can-do, our capacity to think ahead and to reflect and to evaluate and to evaluate our evaluations, and evaluate the grounds for our evaluations.

It’s this expandable capacity to represent reasons that we have that gives us a soul. But what’s it made of? It’s made of neurons. It’s made of lots of tiny robots. And we can actually explain the structure and operation of that kind of soul, whereas an eternal, immortal, immaterial soul is just a metaphysical rug under which you sweep your embarrassment for not having any explanation."
    — Daniel C. Dennett

Daniel Dennett 001_wub

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #735 - February 15, 2011, 01:41 AM

Alex, it's not that I want to convince or anything, after all, we're two atheists; nevertheless, this is just my 2 cents:

@Sobieski

There is nothing in the text that says he did not start the blessings and measuring (4 days) from the beginning of earths' creation (2 days).

I think that when one wants to make an affirmative statement, like "he started the blessings and measuring (4 days) from the beginning of earths' creation (2 days)", you have to base your argument on positive evidence, like for instance, something in the text that would indicate such a thing. Arguments like "there's nothing in the text that says it didn't happen like that" don't work, because there's also nothing in the text that says I'm not a martian. In these cases the arguments from silence don't work.

What needs to be done (IMO), is deal with the text as it is, and follow the most natural reading. So here's 1st part of the verse:

"He set on the (earth), mountains standing firm, high above it",

On what did he put the mountains? On an unfinished earth? Why read it this way, is there any indication that this earth is not finished yet? There is none, in fact, after reading the previous verse, one can naturally conclude the earth was finished: "he created the earth in two days", and then the next verse refers to this earth which was created in 2 days.

Same goes for the rest of the verse.

Every authoritative interpretation assumes that total is 6 days.

Of course they do, would they say "yeah, it's a contradiction in the Quran"?
     Reply #736 - February 15, 2011, 02:17 AM

@ Sobeiski

You have this tendency of restating the same things I already addressed. For example you said [snip] when I have already explained to you that putting it in this context doesn’t change my position.

That doesn't make any sense. My sentences where I was saying what you believe required in no way that you address anything *again*. The point was asking the question at the end, which had the role of underlining your unwise approach.

Even disregarding your previous flip-flops, your response shows a disingenuous attitude. When I show your arguments don't work, then you say "if you didn’t get it the first time, then there’s no point of repeating it"; well it's not at all about me not getting it, I understood very well that you are wrong, showed why you were wrong, and finished with the rhetorical "what's your point then". So what do you do? Instead of addressing my argument on why you are wrong, you're telling me I'm not getting it.

And not only that, but you resort to ad-hominem attacks, like "it is especially annoying given that you don’t seem like the bright guy you fancy yourself to be". What? I fancy myself to be a bright guy? I'm not bright enough for your tastes? And I'm patronizing? Wow. Why, because I asked you:

You believe that? Based on what? Lack of faith in Mo's belief capabilities? Lack of persuasion capabilities on Mo's part toward fellow Arabs? Is it more easy to believe the sun sets in a pool of murky water? If you like to speculate in this way, I could also speculate that IF they wouldn't have believed that, "Allah" could have performed miracles before them, and tell them to believe it. Or "Allah" could have destroyed them for their disbelief and throw them into hell (like he threatens all over the place in the Quran to do), then he would have approached other primitive people more open to suggestions. Why didn't you choose to believe these alternatives? Because you'd like Islam to be true?

?

All those questions are void of any patronizing, and perfectly valid, prompted by your claim that Mo wouldn't have believed something. What, you don't like your claims to be questioned? And if I do question them, I'm patronizing and "not bright"? Wow, you have a serious attitude problem. That was completely unwarranted and insulting.

Ok, I won't address the rest of your post because it would be pointless after all this. I could simply adopt your m.o. and belittle you "debunker" style, but I'm not going to lower myself to your level.
     Reply #737 - February 15, 2011, 03:21 AM

Debunker!  far away hug

Happy Valentines!

(I never mean submission when I say Islam. Usually in English it stands for religion. If you prefer I use the word islam for submission, then I can use Al-islam for religion with you. Up to you, I don't care.)

Now lets discuss less boring issues.

I wonder if you evaluate unorthodoxy of your Islamic beliefs the same way I do:

Tell me, dear, in your opinion,

If you went to a quite lawless (referring here only to "man made" laws) area, inhabited by some hardcore God fearing, shari'a implementing Muslims and you explained to them your Islam and kept insisting that you have a right to understand Islam that way,

Then do you think you would leave the place with your head on your shoulders?

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #738 - February 15, 2011, 03:43 AM

What needs to be done (IMO), is deal with the text as it is, and follow the most natural reading.

Of course they do, would they say "yeah, it's a contradiction in the Quran"?

Sobieski,

About the first statement above. You make it sound as if we should take a mathematical approach here. Sort of like, simplify everything as much as possible, assume 2+2=4, x=x, x+x=2x, etc etc.  I believe that the Koran should not be interpreted in such a spirit and the most "obvious" interpretation will not  be the true interpretation every time. 

Also it is a very simple contradiction, meaning it is too obvious, if most Arabs were to understand it the way you do, I believe it would have been edited out sometime during last 1400 years.

About the second statement - I think mullahs can be creative when they want to, and then there's always "God's ways are mysterious" nonsense, you know it. Even though I believe most mullas and imams are hypocrites and non-believers, I think many Islamic scholars throughout centuries have attempted to honestly interpret the Koran. Thus when I said '...authoritative...', my stress was on consensus of such opinions. There can be very differing authoritative interpretations on issues, as is the case with stoning, killing apostates, etc.

Reply #739 - February 15, 2011, 11:04 AM

all i know about the soul is that it's what's responsible for experiencing being alive. I know nothing else.

said nother away, the soul is the only explanation i find acceptable for the *hard problem of conscienceness*.

What does the soul actually do?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #740 - February 15, 2011, 11:15 AM

yeah, i think all such animals have souls

In which case the common denominator for having conciousness or a soul is having a developed brain.  Unless you can think of any exceptions, why would you rule out that the brain is the actual cause?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #741 - February 16, 2011, 12:45 AM

Sobieski,

About the first statement above. You make it sound as if we should take a mathematical approach here. Sort of like, simplify everything as much as possible, assume 2+2=4, x=x, x+x=2x, etc etc.  I believe that the Koran should not be interpreted in such a spirit and the most "obvious" interpretation will not  be the true interpretation every time. 

Yes, that's my way of approaching the text; take the text as it written and don't add all kind of hypothesis to it. Remember, like you, I am not a faith-head, so I don't have to come up with all kinds of theories that would attempt to explain away an apparent contradiction. If the text says something, I'm gonna take as it says it, and I'm gonna jump on any attempt of the apologist to invent way outs, pointing out that the text supports in no way his or her innovations. Occam's razor should apply here too, as it applies to so many things.

Also it is a very simple contradiction, meaning it is too obvious, if most Arabs were to understand it the way you do, I believe it would have been edited out sometime during last 1400 years.

One might be tempted to think so, but the reality is different. I have done my share of textual criticism study (and it applies to all "sacred" texts), and one observation that scholars make, is that in general, early text has a stubborn tendency to survive, no matter how many difficulties it raises for the later believer/scribe. This is so prolly because the scribe considers the text sacred, and so is much more inclined to rationalize away the apparent difficulty, than to actually go ahead and eliminate/modify the text. This is why, the New Testament contains a substantial share of real contradictions, that stand out; the scribes saw them, and let them be, because the text is sacred.

Just an example: The ending of Mark's gospel has 3 textual versions: one that ends abruptly with verse 9 (the earliest one), one newer that adds a verse to serve as real ending - called the short ending, and another one that adds many more verses, called the longer ending. Because of the short and long endings, there are instances where the scribe, possessing both manuscripts with the short ending AND others with the long ending, has combined the two: tacked the short ending after vs. 9, and continued with the long version! This is remarkable because the short and long endings are mutually exclusive, they contradict themselves clearly. What is a scribe to do? Keep them both - they're both sacred obviously - and assume the longer ending was lost from manuscripts is missing from, and likewise for the short one. There are many instances where the text has survived despite the difficulties it was causing; not only contradictions, but verses that blatantly go against the official dogmas of the church.

About the second statement - I think mullahs can be creative when they want to, and then there's always "God's ways are mysterious" nonsense, you know it. Even though I believe most mullas and imams are hypocrites and non-believers, I think many Islamic scholars throughout centuries have attempted to honestly interpret the Koran. Thus when I said '...authoritative...', my stress was on consensus of such opinions. There can be very differing authoritative interpretations on issues, as is the case with stoning, killing apostates, etc.

Alex, I understand what you're saying and I agree; my reply wasn't meant to convey that they can't bring themselves to accept the evidence, but that they could not, cannot say there are 8 days there. I believe they're honestly believing there's no contradiction, because for them the text *is sacred*, and so there is no possibility for it to be a contradiction. I know this way of thinking, having thought along the same lines for a long time.
     Reply #742 - February 16, 2011, 01:10 AM

A few thoughts on the "soul"; I have studied the history of this religious concept, read books on it, studied what the Bible has to say about it, and here's the short story:

For the Jews, initially, the soul was the person itself, the physical being itself (animals were souls too). You'll encounter many times in the Old Testament instances where one hits, stabs, kills or buries a soul. There are laws regarding "dead souls" (that you should not touch them). Souls are getting weak, thirsty or hungry, etc. The person/animal didn't *have* a soul, the person *was* the soul. Another meaning of the word translated as "soul" was "life". One's soul was one's life.

The "hell" was the tomb itself, a place where nothing happens, where the dead sleep. A very few verses speak of the dead as "shadows" inhabiting the abode of the dead, and they are void of any characteristic. No torment, no sounds, no nothing, total annihilation. 

This was so until the Greek empire took over the region, having beaten the Persians (a few centuries before Jesus). The Greeks were very aggressive culturally, and the region became heavily Hellenized (not only the Jews, but the rest of the people in the ANE), and so Hellenistic ideas about the soul crept into Judaism. At this time, the Greeks believed the person *has* a soul, and the it was immaterial, immortal, and going into the Hades after the man died. For the bad people, Hades was a place of torment.

But this was just the current version of this concept. The earliest Greek ideas about the soul were that it had a more solid quality, made of aether or something, and as the time passed, this concept evolved towards an immaterial soul, a concept then borrowed by the Jews and later the Christians.     
     Reply #743 - February 18, 2011, 05:54 AM

@ Alex

By the way, if you were asked to make a guess as to the percentage of verses in the Quran that include instructions (unrelated to worship), what would your guess be?

I’m unaware of this statement (could you show me the verse?) If anything, the Quran emphasizes the afterlife and dismisses this life as a temporary stage of no real importance except as a stepping stone to the next life.

@debunker

1. IDK, should I remove repetitions (like God is so awesome and hell really sucks) to have the number more meaningful? In any case, read 3:7 concerning your heresy about establishing importance of a Koranic idea based on it's prevalence in the book.

2. Are you kidding me? You ask me where Koran says that believers will be rewarded in this life? Which Koran have you read? The one's I've found are filled with stories and promisses of God to reward believers and punish evil-doers in this world.

E.g.

Believers successful:

23:1 Successful indeed are the believers

Non-believers not successful:

Shall I tell you stories of 'Ad and Thamoud, debunker? What's the point in punishing them in this world if they will get justice in hereafter only? Did God only intervene with human fortunes in old days? If so, where's your proof?

10:17 Who doeth greater wrong than he who inventeth a lie concerning Allah and denieth His revelations ? Lo! the guilty never are successful.

10:77 Moses said: Speak ye (so) of the Truth when it hath come unto you ? Is this magic ? Now magicians thrive not.

12:23 And she, in whose house he was, asked of him an evil act. She bolted the doors and said: Come! He said: I seek refuge in Allah! Lo! he is my lord, who hath treated me honourably. Lo! wrong-doers never prosper.

Actually, read the whole sura Yusuf (it's the least boring one, I think) and tell me if the moral of the story is not: "God works in mysterious ways to reward believers in this life", in kutum sadiqeen ya debunker.

Debunker, are you by any chance a convert?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was this intro thread hijacked and who allowed it? It's wrong.

• Previous page 1 ... 23 24 25« Previous thread | Next thread »