Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Tunisia tensions boil over as teenager dies in riot

(Read 64533 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Tunisia tensions boil over as teenager dies in riot
     Reply #180 - January 20, 2011, 10:11 PM

Oh, so you think it is not haram to make a jokie-joke about your deen? How far are you willing to go in mocking Islam and spreading ideas of it's enemies for the sake of humor?

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #181 - January 24, 2011, 05:31 AM

Quote from: Arab-Wannabe
    Robert Spencer is piece of shit and anyone who thinks he;s a scholar is an idiot and a bigot.

Funny you should mention him as there is A THOUGHT PROVOKING ARTICLE ON TUNISIA ON HIS SITE

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #182 - January 24, 2011, 05:52 AM

Obviously dictatorship was better.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #183 - January 24, 2011, 03:02 PM

Quote from: deusvult
    Obviously dictatorship was better.

Tunisian women are watching warily should the popular revolt that ousted the authoritarian president also unravel women's rights bolstered by his secular regime in this predominantly Muslim country. "I'm scared of the return of the Islamists," said Sonia, a 35-year-old government official who declined to give her last name, as the long-banned Islamist movement Ennahdha prepares to enter the newly-freed political scene.

MORE FROM EVERYBODY's FAVORITE SITE

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #184 - January 24, 2011, 03:27 PM

I guess dictatorship is better.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #185 - January 26, 2011, 11:33 PM

Huh!.. yes.. yes  dictatorship   is better  if dictator is allha doll/god/dog.. whatever,  but if it is human,  there is a universal rule that is hard to get over

"Power Corrupts, Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

so today's news at   

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Tunisia-Unrest/ss/events/wl/011311tunisia

http://indepthafrica.com/news/northafrica/former-tunisian-rulers-family-arrived-in-canada/

says ..
    Tunisia ex-ruler's billionaire brother-in-law   sought in Canada
    MONTREAL — The billionaire brother-in-law of ousted Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was being sought by Interpol on Wednesday after reportedly fleeing to Canada with his family.

Belhassen Trabelsi, the eldest brother of Ben Ali's wife Leila Trabelsi, arrived in Montreal with his wife, four children and a nanny aboard a private jet last week, the Globe and Mail and La Presse newspapers said.

The dailies said his status as a permanent resident could make it difficult for authorities to remove him amid calls from the Tunisian expatriate community for his expulsion.

Interpol earlier issued an alert for the arrest of Ben Ali and six members of his family on a request from Tunis, after an uprising forced the strongman ruler to flee to Saudi Arabia.

The cross-border police agency said that Interpol member states were asked to "search, locate and provisionally arrest Mr Ali and his relatives," pending a formal extradition request from Tunisia.

Get the political power by hook or crook or Allah hoo akbarr shoutings saty in power for 10 , 15, 20 years.. make billions of dollars and make new brother in-laws and give them billion dollars and let all live happily in foreign countries....

Yes.. dicks are better.,

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #186 - January 27, 2011, 12:04 AM

Wellington | January 24, 2011 3:49 AM | Reply

No need for Tunisian women to worry. All those intrepid Western feminists like Maureen Dowd will be right at their side, fighting for women's rights in the Islamic world as they always have. Besides, everyone knows the ultimate religious oppressor of women is the Catholic Church.

Cheesy Cheesy

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #187 - January 27, 2011, 09:36 AM

Interpol arrest warrant for Tunisia’s ex-ruler  says news

Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, his wife and other members of his family are accused of illegally acquiring assets and transferring funds abroad during his 23-year rule.
    TUNIS: Interpol issued an arrest warrant for Tunisia’s toppled president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali as protests demanding a clean break with the past mounted ahead of a major cabinet revamp due Thursday.

The cross-border police agency said that member states, including Saudi Arabia where Ben Ali fled, were asked to “search, locate and provisionally arrest Mr Ali”, pending a formal extradition request from Tunis.

The warrant applied to Ben Ali and six family members, including his unpopular wife Leila Trabelsi, the statement said.

Ben Ali, his wife and other members of his once all-powerful family are accused of illegally acquiring assets and transferring funds abroad during his 23-year rule, Justice Minister Lazhar Karoui Chebbi said in Tunis.[/b]

“No one will be above the law,” Chebbi told reporters.

The US State Department declined to take a position on the arrest alert.

“This is a matter for Tunisian authorities,” State Department spokesman Philip Crowley told reporters.

well that is just 10 years of internet.... all these tinpot dick heads should go....

Reply #188 - January 27, 2011, 10:43 AM

But the prospect of complete dicks filling the void is frightening.People,especially the women, will be truly and completely fucked.Hopefully saner counsels will prevail and people will realize that religion can't run a modern state.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Reply #189 - January 27, 2011, 10:50 AM

But the prospect of complete dicks filling the void is frightening.People,especially the women, will be truly and completely fucked.Hopefully saner counsels will prevail and people will realize that religion can't run a modern state.

I don't think that is possible unless these baboons have a MULLAH leader and takes guns in to hand the way it happened in Iran., THOSE DAYS ARE OVER ., the general public all though they are Muslims will NOT fall for the TRICKS OF ISLAMIC BABOONS..

I have hope the way  things are going in so called Muslim lands , they will go be lead by people like  Mohamed ElBaradei   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njFQxvoJp90

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/ElBaradei-Set-to-Join-Egypt-Protests-114707604.html

Reply #190 - January 27, 2011, 11:11 AM

Yep! His kind should be at the helm in all arab/muslim countries! Afro

Thomas Paine

Reply #191 - January 29, 2011, 08:13 PM

So what happened in Tunisia after Brainless Beardless billionaire Baboons left the power and left the county?

Let us see., Did any al-Quads.. al-Haramis came to power with Allah hoooo Akbaar chants??

Here is the newtube  from that little country ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7DxNjPz7zM

And that is Minister of Communication Technology Sami Zaoui

Hmmm.. No baboons.... Allah hoo akbaar..

Dauphine Elyès Jouini (who also is the vice-president for research) joined the new Tunisian government as the Minister for economic reforms

Now we are talking, it is going in right direction..  good news ..good news all over

So Old man  Mubarak  go in to Nile river...

Reply #192 - January 29, 2011, 08:15 PM

Two newly appointed members of the new Tunisian regime presented their first public statements at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Saturday.

Yassine Brahim, minister of infrastructure and transport, and Sami Zaoui, minister of information and communication technology, joined the new governor of Tunisia’s central bank, Mustapha Kamel Nabli, to announce the country is getting back to business as normal.

Brahim and Zaoui, who had both been running businesses in Europe, were appointed in the last 24 hours. Both said they had been given an hour to decide if they would take up their posts, but only took minutes to agree to the offers.

“We are in a transition period during which it is important not to have anyone from the old regime [in the new government]. We need to prove our efficiency and properly assess what we need to do,” Brahim said as he explained why he took up the post.

Nabli opened the address to the assembled media and spoke the most about how Tunisia plans to move forward following the so-called Jasmine Revolution that toppled the old regime of President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali two weeks ago.

“The situation is stabilising and security is back,” said Nabli. “This means that democracy has taken root. We have come a long way.”

“People had had such depressed feelings for so long that something had to break – which was fear of the regime,” he added. “When it was removed everything happened very quickly.”

Nabri was at pains to point out that the country’s financial system remained intact and that companies were, to the main part, trading as normal with full access to liquidity.

Democracy good for investment

“I would like to convey to investors that that the country has returned to business. Democracy is good for investment. They [foreign counterparts] will be doing business in a much more favourable environment,” Nabli said, adding that corruption would be replaced with transparency.

He urged the international community not to cancel contracts or speculate in a way that could harm Tunisia’s rebuilding economy.

Nabli said no gold reserves had been taken out of the central bank’s reserves by the fleeing regime. An inventory of reserves in Tunisia and London had shown all 6.8 tons of gold to be in place.

Nabli told swissinfo.ch that he was satisfied with the response of the Swiss government to freeze the assets of former president Ben Ali.

“We are pleased that our partner governments, whether they are in the European Union or in Switzerland, have taken precautionary measure to freeze the assets of the individuals,” he said. “But clearly the big work is ahead of us and we have to go through the legal process.”

It is unknown how much money from the former regime lies in the vaults of Swiss or other banks, he added.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/New_Tunisian_ministers_unveiled_at_WEF.html?cid=29369358

good news from every side...

Reply #193 - January 29, 2011, 09:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJlMDwaEsZ0

la..la...la..la...la..la...la..la...la..la...la..la...la..la...

errrr there only 10 guys listening to the rubbish of  a bum on  Tunisia revolt 2011: Hizb ut Tahrir's leaflet read out in mosques

Reply #194 - January 29, 2011, 09:57 PM

Sad but true. It is a very good article.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #195 - January 30, 2011, 03:49 PM

Well my man Sheikh Rachid Ghannouchi comes home  .. Hops he doesn't start Allah..alla..lallllll.la.la,...

http://www.dawn.com/2011/01/30/thousands-greet-tunisian-islamic-leaders-return.html

Sheikh Rachid Ghannouchi (C, with red scarf), head of the Ennahda movement, is welcomed by supporters upon his arrival in Tunis. -Reuters Photo

TUNIS: Thousands turned out Sunday to welcome Islamic leader Rached Ghannouchi after more than 20 years in exile, as he eyed a political future for his Ennahda movement after the fall of Tunisia’s regime.

“God is great!” Ghannouchi cried out, raising his arms in triumph as he walked into the arrivals hall of Tunis airport, with thousands of cheering supporters crowding around him before driving off to visit his family.

The crowd intoned a religious song in honour of the Prophet Mohammed, as supporters held up olive branches, flowers and copies of the Koran.

“I am so happy to be bringing him back home. I never thought I would see my brother again alive in Tunisia,” his sister, Jamila, told AFP.

There were also dozens of people protesting his arrival at the airport, holding up placards that warned against Islamic fundamentalism.

The 69-year-old said he was elated as he checked in for his historic flight at London’s Gatwick airport, where he posed with a Tunisian flag and embraced relatives before boarding for a country that he has not seen since 1989.

“When I return home today I am returning to the Arab world as a whole,” he told reporters, adding that Ennahda (Awakening) now planned to register as a political party and take part in the country’s first democratic elections.

The interim government installed in the north African state after the fall of president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali on January 14 has granted unprecedented freedoms and allowed key exiles to return despite bans from the old regime.

Ghannouchi, a former radical preacher who says he now espouses moderate ideals similar to Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), was persecuted in Tunisia ever since founding his Islamic movement in 1981.

He still officially has a life sentence hanging over his head for plotting against the president, although the new government has drawn up an amnesty law for convicted activists like Ghannouchi that now has to go before parliament.

Learn and change  my man.,

No fucking alallllllallla preaching..

Reply #196 - February 01, 2011, 05:18 PM

Synagogue torched in Tunisia: Jewish leader

(AFP) – 4 hours ago

TUNIS — Arsonists set fire to a synagogue in the southern Gabes region of Tunisia, a leader of the local Jewish community said Tuesday.

"Someone set fire to the synagogue on Monday night and the Torah scrolls were burned," Trabelsi Perez told AFP, criticising the lack of action by the security services to stop the attack.

"What astonished me was that there were police not far from the synagogue," added Perez, who is also head of the Ghriba synagogue on the island of Djerba, the oldest synagogue in Africa.

Twenty-one people were killed, including 16 European tourists, when Al-Qaeda bombers attacked Ghriba in April 2002.

good..news.. good news start now..,

Err.. Not a big deal.., they only torched Synagogue., they didn't kill juice.. be happy man..

• Tunisia tensions boil over as teenager dies in riot
     Reply #197 - January 09, 2018, 03:31 PM

Another round of protests in Tunisia: https://mobile.twitter.com/borzou/status/950257619905728512
     Reply #198 - January 13, 2018, 11:54 AM

Protests in Tunis: https://mobile.twitter.com/Rana_J01/status/951826165848793089

BBC report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-africa-42644326
     Reply #199 - January 13, 2018, 12:05 PM

Interview with Fech Nestannew spokeswoman, Henda Chennaoui: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/interview-henda-chennaoui-contract-between-company-and-politicians-broken-1620920152
     Reply #200 - January 13, 2018, 09:14 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4KSX7oEOxN0
    How will Tunisia recover from its economic woes as street protests grow?
    Demonstrations against the government’s austerity measures began on Sunday and quickly spread.
    Hundreds of people have been arrested. The army's on the streets. Buildings have been burned.
    Tunisia is widely regarded as the only democratic success story from the Arab Spring uprisings.
    However, it's had nine governments since the overthrow of its longtime dictator in 2011, and all of them have struggled to tackle high unemployment, especially among the youth. 

Reply #201 - January 14, 2018, 12:37 AM

Seven years today since Ben Ali was put on a plane to Saudi...

This looks like a good twitter account to follow: https://mobile.twitter.com/_med_Dhia
     Reply #202 - January 14, 2018, 12:54 PM

France24 reports from Tunis:

http://www.france24.com/en/video/20180114-tunisia-mulls-reforms-after-week-unrest

http://www.france24.com/en/video/20180114-tunisias-structural-problems-unchanged-seven-years-after-arab-spring
     Reply #203 - January 15, 2018, 09:50 AM

Dégage RCD!' The rise of internal dissent in Ben Ali's Constitutional Democratic Rally and the Tunisian uprisings
    This article examines the historical evolution of Tunisia’s Constitutional Democratic Rally (RCD) from its beginnings in 1987, when President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali took power, until his ousting in 2011 when the party was outlawed. I argue that the RCD evolved from a political force with wide popular support during a short democratic era (1987–89) into a repressive interest group in the 1990s, when the regime cracked down on political dissidents and popular freedoms whilst rewarding party members with lucrative benefits. In the 2000s the RCD adopted a quasi-mafiosi structure that profited the Ben Ali family, which increasingly monopolized economic and political power. Tunisia’s transformation into a near dynasty marginalized many RCD members and its wider networks, a central dynamic to understand Ben Ali’s ousting in 2011.

Although the RCD was outlawed after the uprisings, this of course does not mean that its structures have ceased to exist. The core Ben Ali family is gone, but many of its lobbies and distant relatives continue to wield vast influence in Tunisia. Indeed, many high-ranking former RCD members still fear to criticize the former regime. In one interview, for example, a famous businessman and previous RCD lawmaker denounced how Ben Ali and his lobbies ‘destroyed the entire economy’. Later he exclaimed in panic that he had forgotten the interview was recorded and demanded that it be deleted. Only after some deliberation did he agree to be mentioned on condition of anonymity because, as he put it, ‘many of the former people are still in charge’.

Reply #204 - January 15, 2018, 10:01 AM

Beyond the ‘Revolution’: authoritarian revival and elite reconfiguration in Tunisia
     Reply #205 - January 15, 2018, 09:01 PM

Rather than tackle austerity, Tunisia moves to divide protesters
     Reply #206 - January 18, 2018, 12:15 PM

Interview with Warda Atig from Fech Nestannew
     Reply #207 - January 28, 2021, 09:35 PM

Ten years on...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDHqmmJcng&feature=emb_title
     Reply #208 - July 26, 2021, 06:35 PM

robocop arrests democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/26/the-guardian-view-on-tunisias-coup-a-spring-that-turns-to-winter
     Reply #209 - July 26, 2021, 09:59 PM

Here's a more informative Guardian report from Simon Cordall, a journalist who lives in Tunis.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/26/tunisian-president-dismisses-government-sparking-street-celebrations
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »