Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Tunisia tensions boil over as teenager dies in riot

(Read 64557 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Tunisia tensions boil over as teenager dies in riot
     Reply #60 - January 15, 2011, 12:07 AM

I heard Malta was just a stop-over for a change of plane and he's headed for Abu Dhabi or wherever it is his wife comes from.
    whose ally was that? and what did he gave to a western country??

America's.  He promised to help in the fight against al-Qaeda by not allowing it to take hold in his country.  That's why he had patrols and police watching the mosques all the time and if there was anything unusual or suspicious they were simply arrested and carted off.   Wink

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #61 - January 15, 2011, 12:11 AM

I don't think so., there are no bearded brain dead baboons in Tunisia  unless some   army rascals import them from Algeria for grabbing the power in the name of allah doll 

That would be a real tragedy,probably a new 'Iran' in the making!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #62 - January 15, 2011, 12:13 AM

Hope it doesn't become an Islamic republic!

That is for Tunisians and Tunisians ONLY decision to make. Unless you're advocating a western bacled militarycoup that will lead to civil war like it did in another N. African country  whistling2
     Reply #63 - January 15, 2011, 12:32 AM

Don't you think we have had enough of violence in the world? Hope the Tunisians make a  wise choice. Seeing some documentaries on the situation in Iran,Pakistan etc might help them in weighing the pros and cons of getting religion into the picture. Wrong medicines can be a lot worse than no medicines at all!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Reply #64 - January 15, 2011, 01:18 AM

*thamina doesn't remember the military of Iran or Pakistan, travelling to another continent to cause unnecessary violence*

I hope you know what I'm trying to say  Afro
     Reply #65 - January 15, 2011, 01:30 AM

I wasn't aware that Pakistan or Iran had to travel to other continents to cause trouble. People who think they know better and treat others like toys are abundant every where you go. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #66 - January 15, 2011, 01:47 AM

People who think they know better and treat others like toys are abundant every where you go. 

Exactly.
     Reply #67 - January 15, 2011, 03:09 AM

That's bcoz having a beard in Tunisia is illegal (I think)

I don't think so...

Errmm being an ally on the "war on terror" most likely involved in the rendition program under bush. Receiving military/financial assistance from the US. Need I go on?  

More details is needed than just statements., you know how this guy came in to power 24 years back after over throwing that Kamel Ataturk of Tunisia Habib Bourguiba., don't you??

any ways the news says "Tunisian president's plane lands in Saudi Arabia"
    The plane of Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali landed in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, reported Saudi TV network Al-Arabiya on Friday.

The president left Tunisia amid violent anti-government protests that drove him from power Friday after 23 years of iron-fisted rule, as anger over soaring unemployment and corruption spilled into the streets.

and Obama 'applauds the courage and dignity of Tunisians'.....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #68 - January 15, 2011, 03:49 AM

http://yvonneridley.org/yvonne-ridley/articles/torture-tyrants-and-tunisia-4.html

interesting article by yvonneridley on Tunisia., she wrote that in 2006

Torture, Tyrants and Tunisia

Long before I became a Muslim, the North African country of Tunisia used to evoke two images in my mind ... a sunny holiday destination for drunken chavs* and a temporary home base for Palestinian leader-in-exile, Yassir Arafat.

I don't suppose you could imagine two more different images than soccer-mad, binge-drinking Westerners and the revolutionary PLO chief who turned the Palestinian keffiyah into a worldwide symbol of heroic resistance.

The reason why I remember the Palestinian issue quite so vividly is because the country's capital Tunis was bombed by the Israel Air Force killing more than 70 people in April, 1986. It was a  sledgehammer-nut act of pure revenge from the Israeli Government after three of their Mossad agents had been executed by PLO fighters.

If you need proof of the fickle nature of the Tunisian president let me remind you that last year Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali suffered a huge dose of political amnesia when he invited the war criminal Ariel Sharon to visit his country. Has the man no shame? Apparently not.

Just like the previous Tunisian tyrant, he would rather kiss the rump of Zionists while getting on his knees to Western leaders than stand tall infront of his own people.

In fact thanks to the brutal rule of Ben Ali, I now think of something else whenever the name of Tunisia is mentioned. I think of torture, detention without trial, political and religious persecution.

Recently I joined a group of brothers and sisters at a rally outside the Tunisian Embassy in London, there were similar demonstrations held at Tunisian embassy buildings around the world.

It now seems Ben Ali is ripping the hijab off the heads of our sisters and abusing the most basic human rights and so we were protesting in defence of our Tunisian sisters ... and Islam. This sort of intimidation is disgusting. One minute Ben Ali is trying to be more West than Westerners by talking of civilisation, modernism and human rights but all the time he is quietly sanctioning the brutalisation of our hijab-wearing sisters, practising brothers and campaigners for justice.

One courageous sister told me how she fled Tunisia a few years ago fearing for her life, and she recalled how she arrived in Britain with her hijab in her pocket. Just as Ben Ali will receive his just desserts in the next life they shall also receive their reward, insh'Allah. Someone should tell the Tunisian tyrant that eternity is one hell of a lot longer than three score years and ten.

well she is right and Tunisian tyrant  left to Saudi Arabia.. read it all at the link..

Reply #69 - January 15, 2011, 01:23 PM

*thamina doesn't remember the military of Iran or Pakistan, travelling to another continent to cause unnecessary violence*

I hope you know what I'm trying to say  Afro

I wasn't aware that Pakistan or Iran had to travel to other continents to cause trouble. People who think they know better and treat others like toys are abundant every where you go.  

I am not sure about that.,   Islamic matadors from land of pure are all over the world with the support of Islamic power houses sitting in the military ., recent cases are Afghanistan and Bangladesh and that Kargil Disaster... If we add Islalmofication of Army/rulers in so-called countries ..

Going Backward ,You can add

1971 birth of Bangladesh
    Iraqi invasion   of Kuwait
    Iraqi invasion of Iran
    1967all out  attack on Israel by Muslim nations
    1961--Pakistan and Afghanistan come close to war over Pashtunistan.

and we can go back a bit in time

1969: King Idris of Libya is ousted by a coup led by Colonel Qadhdhafi.
    1973: King Zahir Shah of Afghanistan is overthrown.
    1880-Nuristan converted to Islam.
    1834--Afghan Muslims  Sikh general Hari Singh and completely eliminated Sikhs from Afghanistan
    1805- Iranian Shia Muslims attack on Herat
    1795- Iranians  invade Khurasan
    1747--1773-Ahmad Shah Durrani of Afghanistan  empire extended from Central Asia to Delhi, from Kashmir to the Arabian sea. It became the greatest Muslim empire in the second half of the 18th century.
    1764: Conversion to Islam of Areadi Gaya. ruler of Futa Bandu State in West Sudan.
    1783: Islamic heroes End of Kalhora rule in Sind.
    1761: Battle of Panipat. Ahmad Shah Durrani came to India at the invitation of Shah Waliullah Dehlavi and smashed rising Maratha power in the battle of Panipat.
    1680: Death of Marhatta chieftain Shivaji.
    1682: Assam annexed by the Mughals. Aurangzeb shifts the capital to Aurangabad in the Deccan.
    1683: The Turks lift the siege of Vienna and retreat. Kara Mustafa the Grand Wazir executed for the failure of the expedition.
    1686: Annexation of Bijapur by the Mughals.
    1687: Golkunda annexed by the Mughals.
    1675: Execution of the Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur. In Indonesia death of the queen Tajul Alam, accession of the queen Nur ul Alam.
    1609: Annexation of Bidar by the Mughals
    1611: Kuch Behar subjugated by the Mughals.
    1612: Kamrup annexed by the Mughals.
    1600: Sind annexed by the Mughals. End of the Arghun rule in Sind.
    1601: Khandesh annexed by the Mughals.
    1550: The rise of the Muslim kingdom of Atjeh in Sumatra.
    1550: Islam spreads to Java, the Moluccas, and Borneo.
    1526: The Battle of Panipat in India, and the Moghul conquest; Babur makes his capital at Delhi and Agra.

we can down  on that road  how Islam and Islamic brain washed jihad culture military fought war fares all the way to the Grave of prophet of Islam in the year 632(if he was real  not a doll generated by Feudal Islamic rascals) dear Aphrodite. And that was all in the name of Allah doll/Muhammad the prophet /Qyran the book and add to that Human Basic instincts from Allah words.. the Loot and Booty in this life and after this life  you will see warfare conducted by the Islamic Armies  dear Aphrodite.

Reply #70 - January 15, 2011, 01:55 PM

http://yvonneridley.org/yvonne-ridley/articles/torture-tyrants-and-tunisia-4.html

interesting article by yvonneridley on Tunisia., she wrote that in 2006

Torture, Tyrants and Tunisia

If you need proof of the fickle nature of the Tunisian president let me remind you that last year Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali suffered a huge dose of political amnesia when he invited the war criminal Ariel Sharon to visit his country. Has the man no shame? Apparently not.

Just like the previous Tunisian tyrant, he would rather kiss the rump of Zionists while getting on his knees to Western leaders than stand tall infront of his own people.

In fact thanks to the brutal rule of Ben Ali, I now think of something else whenever the name of Tunisia is mentioned. I think of torture, detention without trial, political and religious persecution.

Recently I joined a group of brothers and sisters at a rally outside the Tunisian Embassy in London, there were similar demonstrations held at Tunisian embassy buildings around the world.

It now seems Ben Ali is ripping the hijab off the heads of our sisters and abusing the most basic human rights and so we were protesting in defence of our Tunisian sisters ... and Islam. This sort of intimidation is disgusting. One minute Ben Ali is trying to be more West than Westerners by talking of civilisation, modernism and human rights but all the time he is quietly sanctioning the brutalisation of our hijab-wearing sisters, practising brothers and campaigners for justice.

One courageous sister told me how she fled Tunisia a few years ago fearing for her life, and she recalled how she arrived in Britain with her hijab in her pocket. Just as Ben Ali will receive his just desserts in the next life they shall also receive their reward, insh'Allah. Someone should tell the Tunisian tyrant that eternity is one hell of a lot longer than three score years and ten.
    well she is right and Tunisian tyrant  left to Saudi Arabia.. read it all at the link..

Hey!yeezevee do you think that the demented bitch is a great visionary? Tyrants are bound to fall sooner or later,socio-economic causes that make people desperate and spur them to action are the reasons that bring about their downfall. But this idiot thinks it's the people's lack of freedom to practice their religion brought about the downfall.

What a nutter! finmad She needs to be treated for OCD.

One courageous sister told me how she fled Tunisia a few years ago fearing for her life, and she recalled how she arrived in Britain with her hijab in her pocket

Good ! wear your hijab freely now and all your economic problems will be solved!

Thomas Paine

Reply #71 - January 15, 2011, 02:17 PM

we can down  on that road  how Islam and Islamic brain washed jihad culture military fought war fares all the way to the Grave of prophet of Islam in the year 632(if he was real  not a doll generated by Feudal Islamic rascals) dear Aphrodite. And that was all in the name of Allah doll/Muhammad the prophet /Qyran the book and add to that Human Basic instincts from Allah words.. the Loot and Booty in this life and after this life  you will see warfare conducted by the Islamic Armies  dear Aphrodite.

Well! Hee Ho Hum Haw! Embarrassed there was no concept of human rights those days dear yeezevee! There were absolutely no white/white mixed bleeding hearts to cry for them.
    Those poor brothers must have been defending themselves and their faith,one never knows with these biased history writers!

Thomas Paine

Reply #72 - January 15, 2011, 04:03 PM

More details is needed than just statements., you know how this guy came in to power 24 years back after over throwing that Kamel Ataturk of Tunisia Habib Bourguiba., don't you??

Yes I've heard of him. Deary me, it seems like you only have an interest in human rights in countries that aren't pro-US  Roll Eyes

Taken from the the US state department site:

The United States and Tunisia have an active schedule of joint military exercises. U.S. security assistance historically has played an important role in cementing relations. The U.S.-Tunisian Joint Military Commission meets annually to discuss military cooperation, Tunisia's defense modernization program, and other security matters.

It goes on to say:

The program provided over $4 million in assistance to Tunisia between 2001 and 2003.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5439.htm

Where did this $4 million go in 2 years? Was it used to improve the lives of the people? I think not. These 'security matters' and 'military cooperation' have been directly responsible for gross human rights violations!!  finmad

Look at this:

A resident of Mourouj al-Arba’ in the governorate of Ben Arous, Ebdelli was sentenced to 15 years in prison, the longest sentence handed down to a female Nahdha member, for creating and participating in a criminal enterprise. She served
    five years and was released in 1999.
    According to Ebdelli, the conviction was based on no more than her efforts to collect donations to help the families of prisoners.

You can read more here:

http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/tunisia0405.pdf

The US and its "war on terror" is a war on human rights and freedom!!!

Hopefully similar uprisings will take place in neighbouring countries and the wider arab/muslim world. FREEDOM!! 
     Reply #73 - January 15, 2011, 04:19 PM

Egypt and Algeria should be next ...

It will be hard for Egypt but I don't know much about Algerian politics.

Finally a breeze of freedom in North Africa.

[13:36] <Fimbles> anything above 7 inches
    [13:37] <Fimbles> is wacko
    [13:37] <Fimbles> see
    [13:37] <Fimbles> you think i'd enjoy anything above 7 inches up my arse?
     Reply #74 - January 15, 2011, 05:29 PM

Dictators only rule as long as the masses fear them, once that fear goes the dictator is exposed for the insecure retard he is and then flees  dance
     Reply #75 - January 15, 2011, 06:18 PM

This is interesting:

'First Wikileaks Revolution': Tunisia descends into anarchy as president flees after cables reveal country's corruption

A recently released June 2009 cable referred to the president and his siblings as 'The Family', likening them to a Mafia elite who ran Tunisia's economy.

The cables, published in December, also claimed that the president's wife - Leila Ben Ali - had made huge profits out of the building of an exclusive school.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347336/First-Wikileaks-Revolution-Tunisia-descends-anarchy-president-flees.html
     Reply #76 - January 16, 2011, 10:42 AM

Algeria should be next ... 

LOL no it won't.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #77 - January 16, 2011, 11:04 AM

Yes I've heard of him. Deary me, it seems like you only have an interest in human rights in countries that aren't pro-US  Roll Eyes

Let us not  get confused  Human rights with Islamic rights, communist rights, socialist  rights .,     Human rights are human rights whether they are anti or pro US., And it is generally true human rights are better served where there is freedom of expression.

Taken from the the US state department site:

It goes on to say:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5439.htm

Where did this $4 million go in 2 years? Was it used to improve the lives of the people? I think not. These 'security matters' and 'military cooperation' have been directly responsible for gross human rights violations!!  finmad

errr.,,  4million dollars in 2 years are to a country is not even pea nuts.,  

did you read the PDF? what does it say about US involvement on human rights in Tunisia? nothing...

The US and its "war on terror" is a war on human rights and freedom!!!

Hopefully similar uprisings will take place in neighbouring countries and the wider arab/muslim world. FREEDOM!!  

if Islamic Jihadis didn't do what they did to us of a,  by driving their planes in to their houses in US, its  government would have not cared on war on terror or war on anything And..and  my good friends Taliban will be ruling Afghanistan and may be even Pakistan. And no one will stop If Islamic countries would like to go democratic it is all the better .,

What all the US Govts had the policy all these years since 2nd world war is going against communism NOT against human rights.

This is interesting:

'First Wikileaks Revolution': Tunisia descends into anarchy as president flees after cables reveal country's corruption

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347336/First-Wikileaks-Revolution-Tunisia-descends-anarchy-president-flees.html

Anyways .. news says

Libya's Gaddaffi pained by Tunisian revolt, blames WikiLeaks

Cairo/Tripoli - Libyan President Moammar Gaddaffi said he was pained by events in Tunisia surrounding the overthrow of former president Zine al-Abedine ben Ali, Libyan television reported Sunday.

'I am concerned for the people of Tunisia, whose sons are dying each day,' Gaddafi said overnight in a televised statement addressing people in neighbouring Tunisia.

'And for what? In order for someone to become president instead of Ben Ali?' he added.

'I do not know these new people, but we all knew Ben Ali and the transformation that was achieved in Tunisia. Why are you destroying all of that?' he asked..

read it all at http://indepthafrica.com/news/northafrica/libyas-gaddafi-says-tunisia-ouster-was-too-hasty/

Reply #78 - January 16, 2011, 11:16 AM

Will revolt in Tunisia inspire others?
    The ouster of Tunisian President Zine el Abidine ben Ali emboldens protesters in other Arab countries, but — lacking a galvanizing event — there is doubt that Internet-fueled movements can seriously challenge entrenched regimes in the Middle East

Hours after riots forced Tunisian President Zine el Abidine ben Ali to flee his country, hundreds of Egyptians poured into the streets of Cairo with a warning to their own authoritarian president, Hosni Mubarak.

"Ben Ali, tell Mubarak a plane is waiting for him too!" they chanted late Friday night. "We are next. Listen to the Tunisians; it's your turn, Egyptians!" The slogans were a burst of envy and elation in a country where people have protested for years but have never ignited a mass movement to threaten Mubarak's nearly 30-year-old police state. Dissidents were finally daring to contemplate the possibility that public anger really could explode and bring dramatic change.

But the euphoria was mixed with sobering concern that the popular revolt in Tunisia, which, for the first time in modern Arab history, toppled a dictator, cannot be easily replicated. Across the region, bickering opposition parties and religious differences between Islamists and moderates have fueled mistrust and allowed repressive governments to splinter dissent.
    "I believe we can do here what happened in Tunisia," said Ahmed Maher, leader of the April 6 youth movement in Egypt. "But activists need to gather large numbers of people without any interference from opposition politicians with their own agendas."

Camaraderie among protesters has swept cyberspace, creating lively tableaux of opinions and strategies on Internet social networks. It's almost as if for a fleeting moment, Egyptians, Jordanians, Moroccans and others have vicariously become Tunisian. Facebook users changed their profile pictures to the Tunisian flag and uploaded riot videos from the North African country.

In Jordan, thousands of demonstrators marched Friday in several cities against rising food prices and unemployment. As regional leaders fret over the events in Tunisia and recent protests in Algeria, Arab news reports said that King Abdullah II has set up a military and intelligence task force to contain any unrest.

The question is, can protests relying on street passion and Twitter bytes overthrow other regimes that for years have consolidated their power and, perhaps more cannily than Ben Ali, conjured at least the facade of democracy.

Despite widespread public disillusionment and the excitement over what has unfolded, the Arab world is not Eastern Europe of 1989, when protesters stormed boulevards and communist governments tumbled.
    The region is consumed with Iraq, Islamic extremism, the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and the influence of Iran. These issues have tended to overshadow poverty and human rights abuses, making the chances smaller for the kind of grass-roots Velvet Revolution that overthrew the government in what was then Czechoslovakia.

Some have suggested, though, that images of the fleeing Tunisian president amid tear-gas-shrouded streets being broadcast nonstop on Al Jazeera could be the seeds of rebellion for a new era.

"Tunis today may well go down in history as the Arab equivalent of the Solidarity movement in the Gdansk shipyard in Poland in 1980 that sparked wider protests that a decade later ultimately led to the collapse of the Soviet Union and its empire," wrote Rami Khouri, director of the Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs at the American University of Beirut.

There was a magical quality to Tunisia's uprising, which transcended religious and political divides and united a population — young and old, educated and not — resentful of years of unemployment, hopelessness and oppression. A similar sense of wonder filled the Middle East during months of violent street protests in 2009 against the reelection of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

But singular, galvanizing events in those countries provided the spirit of revolt that has been absent in Egypt and other nations. In Tunisia, street rallies broke out in December after Mohammad Bouazizi, a distraught university graduate, set himself on fire after police closed his fruit stand. In Iran, a video of the death of Neda Agha-Soltan, who was shot near clashes between government militias and demonstrators in Tehran, energized demonstrators there.

Ben Ali's fate is evidence of the dangers that autocrats such as Mubarak face by clinging to their ideologies and losing touch with the aspirations of their citizens. It also points to the entrenched mechanisms of power in the region, and how aging leaders want to keep their offices in the family. Like Ben Ali, the presidents in Egypt, Libya and Yemen are grooming sons to inherit their posts.

The Tunisian regime's unraveling came during a visit to Qatar last week by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who criticized the region's "corrupt institutions" and stagnant political order. Many Arabs regard the United States with skepticism, but Clinton's pointed language suggested that Washington was intensifying pressure on Ben Ali, Mubarak and other allies over a lack of civil and economic freedoms.

"Tunisia and Egypt are very similar," said Ayman Nour, who was jailed after running against Mubarak in the 2005 presidential election. "We are talking about two police states ruled by tyrannical regimes that have presented themselves to their own people and to the West as the only possible choice for financial development, maintaining security and fighting terrorism.

"I don't think that we need nationwide protests to reach the same results as in Tunisia. We only need demonstrations to erupt in a few main cities like they did in the 1919 revolution against the British."
    Such turmoil hasn't erupted because, in part, Egypt is more tolerant than Tunisia, allowing a robust independent news media and an air of democracy. The Egyptian government's most potent threat comes from millions of disgruntled workers, but they have not aligned with disparate opposition groups. Even Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel Prize laureate and the former head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency, could not rally the country with a new protest movement.

"Tunisia was in a state of complete and full dictatorship, with no outlets for expression," wrote Abdel Rahman Mansour, a journalist and blogger. "This is not the case in Egypt, because Mubarak is smart and he can hold things in the middle."

Holding the middle in the Arab world is getting more difficult these days. Al Jazeera beams national transgressions into living rooms and cyberspace activists outflank police and intelligence networks. The young are restless, and many, like the fruit vendor who set himself on fire, are angry and bereft of hope.

Maher, the Egyptian protest leader, put it simply: "We need a starting point that will trigger people's anger."

that is a good one..

Reply #79 - January 16, 2011, 01:43 PM

Muammar Gaddafi condemns Tunisia uprising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fsye8lXgmY
    Muammar Gaddafi, an ally of Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali, said on Libyan TV that he was 'pained' by the fall of the Tunisian government. 

The Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi, has condemned the uprising in neighbouring Tunisia amid reports today of unrest on the streets of Libya.

In a speech last night Gaddafi, an ally of the ousted president, Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali, said he was "pained" by the fall of the Tunisian government. He claimed protesters had been led astray by WikiLeaks disclosures detailing the corruption in Ben Ali's family and his repressive regime...

In Egypt, a human rights activist, Hossam Bahgat, said the protests in Tunisia had encouraged those opposed to the regime of the long-time Egyptian president, Hosni Mubarak. "I feel like we are a giant step closer to our own liberation," he said. "What's significant about Tunisia is that literally days ago the regime seemed unshakable, and then eventually democracy prevailed without a single western state lifting a finger."..

read it all at http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/16/muammar-gaddafi-condemns-tunisia-uprising

Reply #80 - January 16, 2011, 01:56 PM

Israeli PM: Tunisia reflects regional instability

JERUSALEM -- Israel's prime minister says the unrest in Tunisia over the weekend shows why Israel must be cautious as it pursues peace with the Palestinians.

Benjamin Netanyahu told his Cabinet on Sunday that the violence that followed the ouster of Tunisia's longtime president illustrated the widespread instability plaguing the region.

He also says it underscores the need for strong security arrangements in any future peace deal with the Palestinians.

Netanyahu says it's not enough to "close our eyes" and sign a peace agreement.

I agree with that regional instability problem not only Tunisia and around it but all Islamic nations are at cross roads and have instability problems. But I hope preset Israeli PM doesn't add more to that instability problem..

Reply #81 - January 16, 2011, 02:11 PM

A western ally that happens to be a dictator in the muslim world (no surprise there lol) has fled

Rather like the shah of Iran!

grin12 POWER to the PEOPLE!!!!

Depends what "the people" do with that POWER.

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #82 - January 16, 2011, 02:23 PM

Not yet Egypt, please not yet.  Hang on a week or so, I'm coming there on Wednesday, don't wreck my holiday.     lipsrsealed

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #83 - January 16, 2011, 02:36 PM

Confusion..Confusion ever where on Tunisia 

Secular Good, Muslim Bad: Unveiling Tunisia’s Revolution_ Haroon Moghul  writes at  http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/guest_bloggers/4052/secular_good,_muslim_bad%3A_unveiling_tunisia%E2%80%99s_revolution/

Good one to read..

Reply #84 - January 16, 2011, 02:44 PM

did you read the PDF? what does it say about US involvement on human rights in Tunisia? nothing...

if Islamic Jihadis didn't do what they did to us of a,  by driving their planes in to their houses in US, its  government would have not cared on war on terror or war on anything And..and  my good friends Taliban will be ruling Afghanistan and may be even Pakistan. And no one will stop If Islamic countries would like to go democratic it is all the better .,

What all the US Govts had the policy all these years since 2nd world war is going against communism NOT against human rights.

Yes I read it. Do you think the security forces in tunisia that tortured and murdered weren't the same security forces that were being trained and holding joint military exercises with US?

The world didn't start on 9/11 nor did the trend of americans bombing others......... No-one?  Roll Eyes Lol wasn't it France that backed the Algeria military against the DEMOCRATIC elected govt. there? And what about what happened in Palestine.

Sorry your pathetic 'excuse' (if you can call it that) is rubbish. Human rights only matter to the US when its in their interest and to be fair almost all nations think the same.
     Reply #85 - January 16, 2011, 02:45 PM

Rather like the shah of Iran!

Depends what "the people" do with that POWER.

I think you mean the SHIT of Iran  Afro

What they do with that power has nothing to do with you.
     Reply #86 - January 16, 2011, 03:11 PM

Quote from: Aphrodite
    Lol wasn't it France that backed the Algeria military against the DEMOCRATIC elected govt. there?

Indeed, the democratically elected shariaist-jihadist government.

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #87 - January 16, 2011, 03:19 PM

Being Islamic doesn't necessarily make them jihadists but now the islamists there are salafist jihadist linked to al-qaeda  whistling2
     Reply #88 - January 16, 2011, 03:23 PM

Yes I read it. Do you think the security forces in tunisia that tortured and murdered weren't the same security forces that were being trained and holding joint military exercises with US?

Huh.. You need US military  to train  how to torture people in Islamic nations??

What is US military exercise has to do with local government of an Islamic nation that is ruling 24 years or so  torturing its own  people??

Does that US military exercise has anything to do with International Islamic Peace corps Al-Qaeda  deary Aphrodite??    
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7288436.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6545855.stm  

Al-Qaeda claims Austrian hostages :  
    Militant group al-Qaeda in Islamic North Africa has said it took two Austrian tourists hostage in Tunisia last month.

Two jailed over Tunisia bombing
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4759237.stm

Two men have been jailed for five years by a Spanish court for collaborating with a terrorist group in an attack in Tunisia that killed 21 people.

Pakistani Ahmed Rukhsar and Spaniard Enrique Cerda Ibanez were found guilty of sending money to a man believed to have financed the bombing.

Victims of the suicide attack at a synagogue on the island of Djerba included 14 German tourists.

The attack was claimed by a senior figure in al-Qaeda months later.

The attackers drove a tanker truck filled with cooking gas to the synagogue before detonating the truck, court documents said.

The world didn't start on 9/11 nor did the trend of americans bombing others......... No-one?  Roll Eyes Lol

Yes but war on terror started after 9/11., other wise America would have not cared who wears burkha where
    wasn't it France that backed the Algeria military against the DEMOCRATIC elected govt. there?

what is that has to do with Americans and what they do??
    And what about what happened in Palestine.

what happened ? what about it..
    Sorry your pathetic 'excuse' (if you can call it that) is rubbish. Human rights only matter to the US when its in their interest and to be fair almost all nations think the same.

Well pathetic 'excuse' is everywhere not just one side..

Every nation is supposed to take care of human rights with in their own country,  I am sure US might be doing that O.k. in their country.,  other wise the change the governments unlike Islamic heroes  that become rulers for life long. Not only that  and after them their sons start the game., If all the rulers after 20/30 years leave  leave the country or die, then some Army General comes with Islam..Islam ..Allah.. Allah shouts.,  

So problem is more fundamental it is mental , it is how we grow up..

Reply #89 - January 16, 2011, 03:24 PM

Being Islamic doesn't necessarily make them jihadists but now the islamists there are salafist jihadist linked to al-qaeda  whistling2

Yes it Does.,  being truly Islamic means giving life to what Islam preaches from Quran/hadith and other Islamic manuals..

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »