Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Random Islamic History Po...
by zeca
Yesterday at 04:19 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 03:21 PM

The essence of the facts
by akay
Yesterday at 06:54 AM

Discord Group for Ex-Musl...
September 27, 2021, 02:29 AM

Story of Sheikha Latifa b...
September 27, 2021, 02:28 AM

Tommy Robinson is a refor...
September 27, 2021, 02:25 AM

God: An Anatomy by France...
by zeca
September 25, 2021, 01:04 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
by zeca
September 25, 2021, 08:02 AM

مدهش----- لماذا؟؟؟؟
by akay
September 24, 2021, 07:13 PM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
September 23, 2021, 11:00 AM

Freely down loadable Boo...
September 15, 2021, 10:15 PM

Apostasy Alternative
September 14, 2021, 09:25 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Coronavirus crisis

(Read 14282 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Coronavirus crisis
     Reply #90 - July 08, 2021, 07:53 PM

Learning to live with covid...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYTyi2pFXxk

you may like this video  dear zeca...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D0PLS7m3wk

That  is  Dr. George Saliba  talking many different subjects and on  Pandemic Lessons from Arab-Islamic Science and History   May 27, 2020  ..  very very old timer..  this is interesting .. some one blocked his words at  /around 32mts 30sec..   not sure what he said...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Coronavirus crisis
     Reply #91 - July 08, 2021, 11:05 PM

Yeez - thanks for that. I just saw the start and it looks interesting - I'll watch it all when I have time.
  • Coronavirus crisis
     Reply #92 - July 13, 2021, 04:51 PM

Yeez - thanks for that. I just saw the start and it looks interesting - I'll watch it all when I have time.

Hi zeca., I was actually interested on the works of dr,  George Saliba  w.r.t  Islam ., I was under the impression that you may have already watched some his interviews and his books/publications..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Saliba

George Saliba (Arabic: جورج صليبا) is a Lebanese-American Professor of Arabic and Islamic Science at the Department of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies, Columbia University, New York, USA, where he has been since 1979. Saliba is currently the founding director of the Farouk Jabre Center for Arabic & Islamic Science & Philosophy and the Jabre-Khwarizmi Chair in the History Department.

Saliba was one of the professors named in the 2004 Columbia Unbecoming controversy as allegedly being intimidating or unfair to students with pro-Israel views. A student of his, Lindsay Shrier, claimed that he told her that those with green eyes (like herself) are not racial "Semites", and have no valid national claim to Middle Eastern lands.[7] Saliba claims that this is a fabrication.[8] Saliba rejected the accusation and published a rebuttal in Columbia Spectator on 3 November 2004 to that effect.[8][7]

https://www.columbiaspectator.com/2004/11/03/rebutting-misguided-political-project/

good man but some times he is careless on  what he says... but I must say here his books/publications gave wonderful contribution in educating the reader on Islam/Islamic rulers and development of science and technology of that time   .

A History of Arabic Astronomy: Planetary Theories During the Golden Age of Islam by George Saliba  1995

Islamic Science and the Making of the European Renaissance by George Saliba   2011

crisis-of-the-abbasid-caliphate    by george-saliba 1985

I wonder whether you have read any of his books?? He is the author of
    Islamic Science and the Making of the European Renaissance (2007);

Rethinking the Roots of Modern Science: Arabic Scientific Manuscripts in European Libraries, Occasional Paper, Center for Contemporary Arabic Studies, Georgetown University (1999);

The Origin and Development of Arabic Scientific Thought (in Arabic, 1998);

A History of Arabic Astronomy: Planetary Theories During the Golden Age of Islam (1994);

The Astronomical Work of Mu’ayyadal-Din al-‘Urdi (d. 1266): 

A Thirteenth-Century Reform of Ptolemaic Astronomy (1990); From Deferent to Equant: A Volume of Studies in the History of Science in the Ancient and Medieval Near East in Honor of E. S. Kennedy (co-editor, 1987);

The Crisis of The Abbasid Caliphate: An Annotated Translation of Tabari’s caliphate of al-Musta’in and al-Mu’tazz (862 – 869 A.D.) (1985); and Planispheric Astrolabes from the National Museum of American History (coauthor, 1984).

• Coronavirus crisis
     Reply #93 - July 13, 2021, 08:45 PM

Yeez - the name was familiar but I don't think I've read anything by him.
  • Coronavirus crisis
     Reply #94 - July 14, 2021, 12:23 PM

Yeez - the name was familiar but I don't think I've read anything by him.

His work is really interesting and one must give a careful consideration to his thoughts., But I still think  with all his tremendous work on the contribution of medieval Arab folks to Sciences  ( so-called Islamic Golden Age  ~786  to 1258) .,  he actually seems to be missing  the basic point in his work ., Off course I may be wrong ..

well let me read through his 50 page pdf publication on Arabic science in 16th century Europe(Guillaume Postel(1510-1581) and Arabic astronomy )

I did not know anything about that guy Guillaume Postel(1510-1581)

• Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »