Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Astronomy Thread

(Read 23789 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The Astronomy Thread
     Reply #90 - May 08, 2011, 09:36 PM

Yes, I did copy stuff from places, if I think the words which are already out there can explain something better than I can, then why not? Why should I write every single word? I'd quote the source if you ask me to. I never claimed this stuff to be my own, there isn't any plagiarism.

Here's another way to answer your previous question.

H (which we now know as the Hubble parameter/constant), is approximately proportional to the (square root of the) total energy density of the Universe.  Inflation basically derives the expansion rate of the universe, and the "vacuum energy" that it fills space with drives away the energy density of anything else, including matter, radiation, and curvature, hence forcing Omega (arbitrarily) close to one.

The latter part of your question is is philosophical discussions which I don't want to get into. There are better people out there to discuss this, such as z10.

ETA: I apologise for what I said, Muzammil.
     Reply #91 - May 08, 2011, 10:25 PM

GRB, I dont care what anyone says, you'll always be my hero. This thread is not a dissertation, so you're not going to get marked down for not crediting sources...

And thanks starburst... Yes, I can vouch for the fact that GRB really has helped to renew my interest in physics, and to replenish my knowledge.

Hi
     Reply #92 - May 22, 2011, 06:36 PM

So, I came across this article about Dark Energy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13462926

I was particularly interested in the following bit:

To explain why the expansion of the Universe was speeding up, astronomers had to either rewrite Albert Einstein's theory of gravity or accept that the cosmos was filled with a novel type of energy.
    ----
    “The results tell us that dark energy is a cosmological constant, as Einstein proposed. If gravity were the culprit, then we wouldn't be seeing these constant effects of dark energy throughout time."

Right, so what has puzzled me about this is that I remember reading in several places that Einstein only proposed the cosmological constant because his theory predicted a non-static universe. However, when Hubble found the red-shift phenomena that was occurring in distant galaxies, an expanding universe was finally accepted by all. This led Einstein to retract his cosmological constant, saying famously that the constant had been the biggest mistake in his life, and that he really should have predicted the expanding universe directly from his own theory...

So, my question is this: why have we gone round in a full circle again? Was Einstein right all along to fudge his equation and to introduce the cosmological constant? It certainly seems that way from this article?

I tried to find the answer to what I am asking above on wikilies, but my head honestly started hurting after reading the first six lines of a relevant article. So, I really would appreciate it if someone could set me straight in a way that wouldn’t hurt my head… Perhaps J? For old times sake?

Hi
     Reply #93 - May 25, 2011, 10:52 PM

Was Einstein right all along to fudge his equation and to introduce the cosmological constant? It certainly seems that way from this article?

The basic reason he added the cosmological constant was to achieve a static universe. The CC would counteract gravity and keep it from pulling everything in the universe back together, this was sort of a balance between the mass and the gravity in the universe. This idea turned out to be wrong. So, he was wrong to put it there to make the universe static.

Since dark energy is something which is  the causing expansion of the universe by counteracting the effects of gravity, it's essentially serving as a CC. Instead of being at equilibrium, dark energy is counteracting gravity so much that it's actually accelerating the expansion of the universe.  Einstein didn't put the CC because of dark energy, but dark energy can be stated as CC. This was just a lucky accident, and some of the most remarkable discoveries in science are made by accident, this is one of them.

Sources: A book I read by Stephen Hawking, I don't know what his sources are, but he may have learned this at Cambridge, I am not sure -- I can't say anything about the sources of the sources he used.  Oh and some other stuff I've read about Einstein and dark energy somewhere.
     Reply #94 - May 26, 2011, 03:08 AM

Who the fuck is Muzammil? Why is he being an arrogant little prick? Where did this beef come from?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #95 - May 26, 2011, 03:17 AM

Chat, apparently.
     Reply #96 - May 26, 2011, 10:50 AM

The basic reason he added the cosmological constant was to achieve a static universe. The CC would counteract gravity and keep it from pulling everything in the universe back together, this was sort of a balance between the mass and the gravity in the universe. This idea turned out to be wrong. So, he was wrong to put it there to make the universe static.

Since dark energy is something which is  the causing expansion of the universe by counteracting the effects of gravity, it's essentially serving as a CC. Instead of being at equilibrium, dark energy is counteracting gravity so much that it's actually accelerating the expansion of the universe.  Einstein didn't put the CC because of dark energy, but dark energy can be stated as CC. This was just a lucky accident, and some of the most remarkable discoveries in science are made by accident, this is one of them.

What a man!!!

I’m not talking about you for once J (I will save my compliments for you in the PM that I am about to send you later), but Einstein… what a man he was. We were so, so lucky that he was behaved well enough in his previous life, to come down to us in human form. He really was one in a trillion. It is hard to imagine how anyone else could ever have come along, and given us the insights and advancements (bombs excepted) that came from that divine brain of his.

It seems that even when he was stumbling around in the dark, or even when he was fiddling his equations to fit perceived notions, he was hitting jackpots. What a guy.

Anyways, let me get this straight:

1)   He introduced CC because it would explain why the universe was static.
    2)   The universe was shown to be expanding, so he took out CC.
    3)   His original equations now fitted perfectly again with observed phenomena
    4)   The universe was shown to be expanding faster than anticipated recently, due to Dark Energy
    5)   Hang on, putting CC back into the equations explains this additional expansion perfectly

That is so fucking bizarre. He really was God.

Hi
     Reply #97 - May 26, 2011, 10:52 AM

Who the fuck is Muzammil? Why is he being an arrogant little prick? Where did this beef come from?

Muzammill is generally an okay guy from what I’ve seen. I think he was just having a bad day.

Hi
     Reply #98 - May 26, 2011, 08:21 PM

Einstein's original equations actually predicted the expansion of the universe, but he didn't like the idea of having a dynamic universe. If he hadn't introduced the CC in and stuck to the prediction of his equations, he would have been the first person to predict the expansion of the universe. So, he kinda missed out on that, but it just goes to show how amazing and strange the universe is, and it never ceases to surprise best of us. Truth is stranger than fiction, and that applies perfectly to universe we live in, and that's what I love about it.
     Reply #99 - June 15, 2011, 09:14 AM

Chat, apparently.

I really don't wanna fight, this language you're using is what got that animosity started in the first place.
     Reply #100 - June 15, 2011, 09:30 AM

I think everyone has moved on now anyways mate.

Whatever happened is just between you and J, and if you guys are okay with each other now, that’s all that matters.

Thread sneaker

Hi
     Reply #101 - June 15, 2011, 11:03 AM

Muzammil and I are freinds. We just got off on the wrong foot. Now moving on, this is a nice time to talk about some astronomy.
     Reply #102 - June 15, 2011, 11:27 AM

I really don't wanna fight, this language you're using is what got that animosity started in the first place.

No. The posts you deleted in this thread are what started it here. Don't blame anyone else. Own your words, champ.

Reply #103 - June 15, 2011, 11:34 AM

*//No. The posts you deleted in this thread are what started it here. Don't blame anyone else. Own your words, champ.//*

You don't know the background so why wasting time guessing what went wrong.
    And it really doesn't matter now, he and I are cool now.
     Reply #104 - June 15, 2011, 11:41 AM

Good.. everything is good.. But where is Astronomy.. And where is that LITTLE BLUE DOT IN SPACE??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737YnrjXV9g

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #105 - June 15, 2011, 11:45 AM

You don't know the background so why wasting time guessing what went wrong.
    And it really doesn't matter now, he and I are cool now.

Some random idiot (you) comes into this thread shooting. Not knowing you even existed until that point, I wonder who the fuck you are and what your problem is and why you're trolling GRB. You then delete the posts and blame me for starting the animosity.

Excuse me, what the fuck?

Reply #106 - June 15, 2011, 11:54 AM

Billions and billions of stars but only one Blue dot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-1W4LSf9o

Ha! that guy is having sex with cosmos .. starts with a high node and end with high node..

Reply #107 - June 15, 2011, 12:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

The video above is in better detail. The universe is vast. But what's more astounding is that it's just the observable universe. The unobservable universe is 10^(1030) times larger than the observable universe!

Ishina, chillax it's okay now. You're not being blamed for anything. We exchanged harsh words in the chat room, that's why it happened.
     Reply #108 - June 15, 2011, 12:17 PM

Fucking drama, how does it work?

Reply #109 - June 15, 2011, 12:21 PM

Fucking drama, how does it work?

Magic. Cheesy
     Reply #110 - June 15, 2011, 12:33 PM

Magic. Cheesy

Magic is goood GRB.. so where is Astronomy??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5zVlEywGZg

Reply #111 - June 15, 2011, 01:01 PM

Magic is goood GRB.. so where is Astronomy??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5zVlEywGZg

What do you mean?  Huh?
     Reply #112 - June 15, 2011, 04:21 PM

This evening in Western Europe we will have a complete moon eclipse. The moon is expected to turn into a blood-red ball. Now I don't know much about the Qu'ran and hadiths, do they give special meanings to such a phenomenon?

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #113 - June 15, 2011, 04:40 PM

This evening in Western Europe we will have a complete moon eclipse. The moon is expected to turn into a blood-red ball. Now I don't know much about the Qu'ran and hadiths, do they give special meanings to such a phenomenon?

ohhuuuffff ., when you a special meaning in Islam for eating, cleaning nose , shitting or which leg you have to put first in entering in to your house why would you think that solar or lunar eclipse will not have special meaning dear Hallakuf??

There is plenty of special meaning in Islam for Lunar eclipse..

Solar/Lunar Eclipses in Islam

Fulfilment of a Great Prophecy of Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) - Lunar Eclipse

LUNAR ECLIPSE & ISLAM

Reply #114 - June 15, 2011, 04:41 PM

What do you mean?  Huh?

well, what I mean to say was most of your posts initially in this thread was about Astronomy but later they changed to something else dear GRB

Reply #115 - June 15, 2011, 04:58 PM

ohhuuuffff ., when you a special meaning in Islam for eating, cleaning nose , shitting or which leg you have to put first in entering in to your house why would you think that solar or lunar eclipse will not have special meaning dear Hallakuf??

There is plenty of special meaning in Islam for Lunar eclipse..

Solar/Lunar Eclipses in Islam

Fulfilment of a Great Prophecy of Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) - Lunar Eclipse

LUNAR ECLIPSE & ISLAM

Thank you. Having read them, it is nothing special, apart from some superstitious crap... Pray, pray.... Wink

Religion is organized superstition
     Reply #116 - June 15, 2011, 07:04 PM

@ Jay and muzzie

What do you guys think of simon shing's book "Big Bang". IS it wroth getting i can't seem to find a good book some books are to n00bish other to advance filled with equations. I want something in bewteen with a little maths and more depth :/. I beleive The elegent universe seems nice but i can't get my hands on it.

Lost somewhere between immensity and eternity is our tiny planetary home. [carl sagan]
     Reply #117 - June 16, 2011, 02:42 AM

@ Jay and muzzie

What do you guys think of simon shing's book "Big Bang". IS it wroth getting i can't seem to find a good book some books are to n00bish other to advance filled with equations. I want something in bewteen with a little maths and more depth :/. I beleive The elegent universe seems nice but i can't get my hands on it.

Hey Skeptic, I haven't read that book. I just read its review and I think you already are well familiar with most of the topics covered in that book. The big bang, cosmic dark ages, the very first stars, the origin of heavier elements, the discovery of the expanding universe, and the not too old dark matter and dark energy. Jay might be able to help you find a suitable book.

The Total Lunar Eclipse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYyvxYs_iW0

Now I read something up there ^^^^^ about some prophecy in Islam about the blood red lunar eclipse and all. Well there's no mystery about this moon appearing red.(even if there was, you'd just be inserting the God of the gaps here)

The moon appears to be red because of the same reason the sky appears blue. Gasses in the earth's atmosphere absorb and scatter the shorter wavelength light i.e as you move from Red>Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>Violet the wavelength decreases. The sky appears blue because the gasses in the atmosphere scatter the blue wavelength light.

As the earth comes between the sun and the moon, it casts its shadow on the moon and the moon should appear dark but earth is a massive object and massive bodies bend light so the light coming from the sun gets bent and as it leaves the earth atmosphere(which has now been devoid of shorter wavelength light) it illuminates the moon and thus it appears reddish.
     Reply #118 - June 16, 2011, 02:47 AM

well, what I mean to say was most of your posts initially in this thread was about Astronomy but later they changed to something else dear GRB

They've consistently been about astronomy, we had a minor glitch in the matrix but that's been fixed now. I've not had the time to write detailed posts for the past few weeks. I'll gladly discuss astronomy though, is there something you want to talk about?

So, there have been some startling discoveries in astronomy recently. If you have heard already, please chime in.

A month ago a team of astronomers published a study after years of looking at the centre of our galaxy, their results have a striking conclusion; there may be twice as many wandering Jupiter mass planets as there are stars in the our galaxy! Our galaxy as around 200 billion stars!

The thing that strikes me most about this discovery is that these planets may have moons like Europa and Enceladus. Even if 5 percent of these planets do have moons like Enceladus and Europa, it statistically gives us around 10,000,000,000 ocean worlds where life can form and survive.

In other news, there are three lines of evidence which suggest the next peak in the solar cycle may be delayed, or it might not happen at all. So, in the next maximum of the solar cycle, we might not get to see views like this colossus M-class flare.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyi4hjG6kDM

Reply #119 - June 23, 2011, 11:37 PM

Again, an absolutely amazing discovery comes from the Cassini space probe. Cassini has detected large amounts of salt grains in the plumes emanating from Enceladus. This is amazing, it almost confirms that there is a subsurface ocean underneath the icy surface of Enceladus.

I can't wait for a marine probe to go there and check out the hydrothemral vents there. Some biologists have theorised that the environment around these hydrothermal vents can produce life, and the very first life on Earth may have arose around the hydrothermal vents in the vast oceans of our planet. The environment around these vents is as cosy for RNA as your living room is for you.

Enceladus has all the ingredients to cook up the most basic form of life, the only way to find out is to go there, and discoveries like this certainly give us a lot of incentive.
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »