Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: burqa mural Complaint

(Read 8548 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • burqa mural Complaint
     OP - November 29, 2010, 12:55 PM

burqa mural Complaint

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/complaint-lodged-over-burqa-mural-20101125-18967.html

Cigdem Aydemir, 27, a Muslim, artist and high-school art teacher, said she felt ''completely offended and insulted'' when she saw the mural pop up in her neighbourhood.  The work of a local artist, Sergio Redegalli, the piece adorns a wall of his studio facing the street and the busy rail line.

''My sister-in-law wears a burqa … my mother wears a veil,'' she said. ''I wore a veil for 10 years of my life. I think everyone has the right to wear whatever they want on their body and that kind of diversity needs to be protected.''

Aydemir went to the police and then the council to try to make the complaint, but as the mural was painted on private property neither could intervene. She lodged her concerns with the Anti-Discrimination Board, who this week notified Redegalli.

He said he had painted it to open debate about the burqa, but now felt his right to freedom of expression was on the line.

''There's a problem about the right to free expression, the loss of the ability to say something without instantly being branded a racist,'' Redegalli said. He cited a number of reasons for his opposition to the garment, including concerns about security and the rise of Islamic extremism in Australia.

''There's thousands that can say we don't actually feel comfortable about this - that's not being taken seriously,'' he said.

But Aydemir said: ''It's Islamophobic; it's feeding the racist and sexist attitudes we have in our society.''

The image has drawn fire from locals, and has been defaced at least 20 times. The former Marrickville mayor, Sam Iskander, said in September the mural ''goes against the values which the Marrickville community has believed in and practised for generations''.

So  Cigdem Aydemir, 27 gets upset as her ' sister-in-law wears a burqa her mother wears a veil,' and she wore a veil for 10 years of  her life.

So she complained to City council, Police and mayer and what not..  Now questions are

1). Should she and other Muslim women have freedom to express themselves in Burqa and complain to authoriteis on those who are questioning/insulting burqa through their art such as above??

2). Should the artists, writers have freedom to express their work on social/civil issues as the dress code??

3). What should authorities do under these circumstances in Non-Islamic world, Islamic world and Pseudo Islamic world?

One or two is o.k.  but my goodness that is a terrifying picture to see on the road...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: burqa mural Complaint
     Reply #1 - November 29, 2010, 01:02 PM

''My sister-in-law wears a burqa … my mother wears a veil,'' she said. ''I wore a veil for 10 years of my life. I think everyone has the right to wear whatever they want on their body and that kind of diversity needs to be protected.''

Aydemir went to the police and then the council to try to make the complaint, but as the mural was painted on private property neither could intervene. She lodged her concerns with the Anti-Discrimination Board, who this week notified Redegalli.

So Muslims have "the right to wear whatever they want on their body", but artists do not have the right to paint murals critical of the burqua?  Roll Eyes Shut the fuck up, bitch.

fuck you
     Reply #2 - November 29, 2010, 01:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HesjdjIro8

George Galloway speaks to 3 anti-burqa callers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpVI67GCEM

Is George Galloway right??  

I think So...

Reply #3 - November 29, 2010, 01:05 PM

It's called the "Muslim Itch" a bodily phenomena found in muslims that feel like they just have to complain, or the itch won't stop.
     Reply #4 - November 29, 2010, 01:06 PM

So Muslims have "the right to wear whatever they want on their body", but artists do not have the right to paint murals critical of the burqua?  Roll Eyes Shut the fuck up, bitch.

What ??  Q-man., I like this quote of yours  

In a war between 2 wrongs  there is a 3rd option

Now Answer me on George Galloway response dear Q....

with best regards
    yeezevee

Reply #5 - November 29, 2010, 01:08 PM

It's a typo yeezeevee, he meant to write shut the fuck up you MITCH

As in MUSLIM Itch.
     Reply #6 - November 29, 2010, 01:11 PM

LOL

Reply #7 - November 29, 2010, 01:15 PM

Dewsbury is the home of the European headquarters of Tableegi-e-Jamaat ^^^

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - November 29, 2010, 01:16 PM

mighty_cats:
    LOL

(Clicky for piccy!)

Pakistan has all sorts of people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAuefpy8M_g

Reply #9 - November 29, 2010, 01:21 PM

Dewsbury is the home of the European headquarters of Tableegi-e-Jamaat ^^^

Rogues of Tableegi  and Hizb ut-Tahrir   Must be OPENLY  debated  By Muslims and non-Muslim  folks  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6OHmmzVPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCuh5owMYoE

Reply #10 - November 29, 2010, 01:21 PM

Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - November 29, 2010, 01:25 PM

That's unreal.. that can't be lahore. Must be Karachi
     Reply #12 - November 29, 2010, 01:27 PM

Cheesy

IsLame  you are laughing but  we have to realize that it only takes  5 years to make these., That is Islamabad Pakistan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfEh8o7Xn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icPjj_i60js

Although I disagree with Musharraf  way  of playing Politics , but if that guy was killed during one of those attacks and power shifts to some other Pro-Islamic party General ., It would have taken only few years to make every women of Pakistan look like those you see in those videos.  Afghanistan and Iran is a perfect examples of recent political Islam..

Reply #13 - November 29, 2010, 01:32 PM

That's unreal.. that can't be lahore. Must be Karachi

what??  here is Lahore Lahore Girls College..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc1ZvmkcJFk

Reply #14 - November 29, 2010, 01:33 PM

Cheesy
     Reply #15 - November 29, 2010, 07:48 PM

Cigdem Aydemir, 27, a Muslim, artist and high-school art teacher, said she felt ''completely offended and insulted'' when she saw the mural pop up in her neighbourhood.  The work of a local artist, Sergio Redegalli, the piece adorns a wall of his studio facing the street and the busy rail line.

The mural says nothing about people's right to wear a burqa. It just suggests that they should refuse to wear one.

He said he had painted it to open debate about the burqa, but now felt his right to freedom of expression was on the line.

Yup, he's right about that.

But Aydemir said: ''It's Islamophobic; it's feeding the racist and sexist attitudes we have in our society.''

I call bullshit. It has nothing to do with racism. Well, it can be assiociated with racism in some people but they are really two separate issues.

The image has drawn fire from locals, and has been defaced at least 20 times. The former Marrickville mayor, Sam Iskander, said in September the mural ''goes against the values which the Marrickville community has believed in and practised for generations''.

Once again I call bullshit. Generations ago in suburbs like Marrickville racism was commonplace, as it was in many other places. So, even if this mural was racist it would not necessarily be "against the values which the Marrickville community has believed in and practised for generations".

However, since it is not actually racist and is simply expressing a dislike of a particular item of dress, all the mayor can possibly mean is that the Marrickville community believes that nobody should publicly say that they don't like something that someone else approves of. Not a particularly inspiring value IMO.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #16 - November 29, 2010, 08:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HesjdjIro8

George Galloway speaks to 3 anti-burqa callers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcpVI67GCEM

Is George Galloway right??  

I think So...

I don't disagree with G.Galloway, but neither do I agree with him fully, I do see the Burka as a Symbol of Political Islam.
     Reply #17 - November 29, 2010, 08:32 PM

Also polygamy is allowed in the UK if you marry outside of the UK in a country where it is allowed.
     Reply #18 - November 29, 2010, 08:38 PM

I don't disagree with G.Galloway, but neither do I agree with him fully, I do see the Burka as a Symbol of Political Islam.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #19 - November 29, 2010, 08:38 PM

These idiots don't realize that it's only in the society where someone else is free to paint a mural like this on private property that those women can freely choose to wear a burqa, or to not wear it. His painting is not a ban on the burqa, it's not racism. People who think challenging religious dogma is racism don't know what racism is. They should try being black in the U.S. historically, or Pakistani in Saudi Arabia today, to experience racism. They also don't know what freedom is, they think it's an entitlement that should be exclusive only to Muslims and not to anyone who challenges their dogma.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #20 - November 29, 2010, 10:03 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'm not saying ban it GING, but I do think that it is a possible sign of segregation and also of a more stringent following of their religion (and their interpretation of it (could not be the norm, doesn't really matter to me)). In my opinion the most literal interpretation of Islam is the true Islam but I am perfectly okay and supportive of a more lassais faire interpretation of it. I was just stating my opinion.
     Reply #21 - November 29, 2010, 10:10 PM

Blazay interpretation of Islam is the best because. ... well, it's less Islam!
     Reply #22 - November 29, 2010, 10:16 PM

I'm not saying ban it GING, but I do think that it is a possible sign of segregation and also of a more stringent following of their religion (and their interpretation of it (could not be the norm, doesn't really matter to me)). In my opinion the most literal interpretation of Islam is the true Islam but I am perfectly okay and supportive of a more lassais faire interpretation of it. I was just stating my opinion.

I was LOL'ing at your equating the Burqa with political Islam. The two have almost nothing to do with each other.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #23 - November 29, 2010, 10:23 PM

I bet the real reason for the complaint is because the Burqa is showing too much Burqa  Wink

Just put a Burqa over the Burqa mural and everything's fine...lol
     Reply #24 - November 29, 2010, 10:27 PM

So a piece of street art that protests against the most woman-hating misogynistic symbol that exists, that debases women to stumps of genitalia and projects upon all other women fault for their own sexual assault, is contributing to 'sexist attitudes' in society Grin

Your really could not make this shit up, not even the most pitiless satirist of Islamic attitudes could come up with a line like this Grin

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #25 - November 29, 2010, 10:54 PM

I was LOL'ing at your equating the Burqa with political Islam. The two have almost nothing to do with each other.

I know the link is tenuous but it is no doubt there. I think therefore the plan is intergration not multicultural relativism. You won't rid the problem of islamism by banning the burka but you will counteract both by forcing integration.
     Reply #26 - November 29, 2010, 10:56 PM

Lol

So a piece of street art that protests against the most woman-hating misogynistic symbol that exists, that debases women to stumps of genitalia and projects upon all other women fault for their own sexual assault, is contributing to 'sexist attitudes' in society Grin

Your really could not make this shit up, not even the most pitiless satirist of Islamic attitudes could come up with a line like this Grin

Reply #27 - November 29, 2010, 11:01 PM

Is it just me or do some muslims appear to shoot themselves in the foot whenever they open their mouths?

I like the rebuttal to Islamophobia at wikiislam excellent job of calling bullshit on that one.
     Reply #28 - November 29, 2010, 11:39 PM

After Theo van Gogh´s murder a Dutsch artist painted this on the window of his atelier :

Thou shalt not kill

The people in the next door mosque found it offensive and called the mayor who, shame on him, ordered the police out to remove it.

He later had a change of heart and apologized.

http://lvb.net/item/649

How anybody can find thou shalt not kill offensive is beyond me. Goes to show, that you can´t legislate to protect peoples feelings as there is no end to what may offend people.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »