Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Confused...

(Read 11777 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Confused...
     OP - November 26, 2010, 05:17 PM

Hi, im 18yrs old, british muslim whose just really confused. Ive been wearing the hijab on and off since i was 12 mainly for cultural reasons. ive always considerd myself a moderate muslim with liberal ideas, and i wasnt practising in the traditional sense of praying or reading Quaran. However after a bad relationship last year i found myself turning to God and repenting because i saw what happened as a punishment for dating. A few weeks later i started wearing an abaya and now i feel really confused about everything and questioning my whole belief system, and wondering if i made a mistake.
    I would really appreciate it anyone could help me with all this confusion?

thanks
  • Re: Confused...
     Reply #1 - November 26, 2010, 05:41 PM

... i found myself turning to God and repenting because i saw what happened as a punishment for dating.

Hi.

"god" punished you for dating? If this is true what does it tell you about the nature of such "god"?
     Reply #2 - November 26, 2010, 05:49 PM

Hi Aisha! Welcome to the forum.  bunny

Sorry to hear about your relationship.  far away hug

How do you feel about the gender inequality between men and women in Islam? Why is it only women are expected to cover up?

Hope you find what you're looking for here.  Afro

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    ~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #3 - November 26, 2010, 05:55 PM

Welcome to the forum, Aisha. victory

I don't believe in God, so my advice is watch this video about the book The God Virus:  (the guilt trap, in particular)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5vxPP5DmfU&feature=related

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #4 - November 26, 2010, 05:57 PM

Welcome Aysha,

I think it's really sad the way we human beings interpret bad things that happen to us as being a punishment for being bad.

A child blames himself for his parents fighting - it must be because he's been a naughty boy.

Reply #5 - November 26, 2010, 06:04 PM

Bless you, Aisha, there's no punishment for a bad relationship - it's a punishment in itself but good practice for the future too.  Next time around, it'll be easier.
    It's difficult when you've been spoonfed that kind of guilt rubbish but try to rid yourself of the notion that you're going to be 'punished' for this that or the other imagined misdemeanour.  You aren't running on tracks to the extent that you'll be derailed if you don't run to a time table outside of your own control. Presumably, you live in the UK and you have a Western outlook.  Take the advice that makes the most sense to you and plan it into the future you want for yourself.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #6 - November 26, 2010, 06:07 PM

Welcome

I am wondering, what were you expecting when you thought of joining this forum and asking such question.

Here you will find plenty of information about how ridiculous the religion is.

Anyways to answer your question, whatever you are thinking are plain and simple your own thoughts. You are trying really hard to come up with an answer what has been happening in your life has to do with some magic fairy. God is just a superstition and all the scriptures and cultural practices associated with that God (including koran) is a creation of many human beings who went through many unexplainable things (at least they can't rationalize it because of limited knowledge), and they created all these scriptures.

These scriptures including koran and hadith have many bizarre verses.. (like sun sets on a muddy spring along while people living around it on flat earth, the prophet of islam can marry any woman on earth, absolutely anyone who give herself as a gift to him 33:50, you can collect war booty as long as he gets 20% share out of it etc..) Anyways, you came to the right place, and you will find plenty of material telling the truth.

Dating is a great thing. First you need to love yourself, and everything about yourself, and then respect the person you are dating. Now, at this point, there doesn't need to be any superstitious non-sense coming to your head, like saying salam etc, that if you won't do, you would burn in hell... etc.. Also don't go too crazy either and contract STD's from random stranger.

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #7 - November 26, 2010, 06:28 PM

Also don't go too crazy either and contract STD's from random stranger.

GOOD ADVICE!  Afro

Sadly that becomes another religion by itself! PEER INFLUENCE becoming some kind of reference to replace the 'holy books'. Now that can be a very dangerous thing!

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #8 - November 26, 2010, 06:48 PM

What are you confused about?

Welcome btw Smiley

Reply #9 - November 26, 2010, 06:52 PM

BTW I think it would be counter-productive to flood this thread with quranic inconsistencies/scientific inaccuracies/Mo's morality etc... I think considering Allah on his own/problem of hell/simple theistic misconceptions (i.e. one religion must be right) etc is a more appropriate place to start.

What makes you think Islam might be true, Aisha?
     Reply #10 - November 26, 2010, 06:55 PM

It's a good thing that you're confused.....'cos religion doesn't make any sense!

Welcome.  Smiley

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #11 - November 26, 2010, 06:59 PM

Hi Aisha123, my cousins called Aisha, but don't worry you're not her lol. People here will help you out. It's a good place. Take care.
     Reply #12 - November 26, 2010, 07:07 PM

BTW I think it would be counter-productive to flood this thread with quranic inconsistencies/scientific inaccuracies/Mo's morality etc...

I was giving her welcome crash course..  Cheesy

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #13 - November 26, 2010, 08:36 PM

Welcome aboard Aisha - if you are confused dont accept what either side have to say, read up the facts & make up your own mind.  I would recommend starting by reading the Quran in english & joining a muslim forum & joining this one, asking plenty of explorative questions, and see where you go from there. 

If you want to here my side of the argument then feel free to click on the link in my signature to my blog, it has every argument I can think of that to me proves Islam & all religions are man-made (even if they are/are not a force for good)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - November 27, 2010, 12:13 AM

Welcome Aisha. I wish you all the best with your journey, please feel free to look around. We have all gone through what you are going through in some way or another... it is not easy, it is confusing it is painful. We are all here for you.  Smiley
     Reply #15 - November 27, 2010, 03:50 AM

Hi, im 18yrs old, british muslim whose just really confused. Ive been wearing the hijab on and off since i was 12 mainly for cultural reasons. ive always considerd myself a moderate muslim with liberal ideas, and i wasnt practising in the traditional sense of praying or reading Quaran. However after a bad relationship last year i found myself turning to God and repenting because i saw what happened as a punishment for dating. A few weeks later i started wearing an abaya and now i feel really confused about everything and questioning my whole belief system, and wondering if i made a mistake.

thanks

Fascinating.
     Reply #16 - November 27, 2010, 04:16 AM

thanks

Clam down, and stop being afraid.
    Rational decisions are rarely made when you are in fear. This is a large reason fear and religion go together like Chocolate and Peanut Butter. Sounds like you are scared of the boogy man, and feel you need to appease  it.
    You either believe in a god (whichever one) for intellectual reasons or disbelieve in one for intellectual reasons, if you are doing something else you are doing it wrong (which most people do...hence the large number of religious people). So relax, dont worry, sit down and examine prophet 1 2 and 3 and decide in an intellectually honest way if you believe prophet 1 2 or 3's story. Then move on accordingly.

Or maybe try forgetting all the god stuff for a little while, and work things out for yourself, instead of trying various rituals (seems you put on a abaya like it was some charm that would make allah happy and then Leonardo DiCaprio would show up)...
    see how it goes.
    Dont worry if god is punishing you for being a human being (if there is a god, you really think it would be that big a jerk?) and just live....see where it takes ya, and remember life is hard and full of suck for everyone, so ya just got to deal with it and move on.

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #17 - November 27, 2010, 04:28 AM

Welcome Aysha,

I think it's really sad the way we human beings interpret bad things that happen to us as being a punishment for being bad.

A child blames himself for his parents fighting - it must be because he's been a naughty boy.

I did something.

This ended up being in a way that I do not want/like.

And there is a supernatural cause for this wrongness.

Therefore the wrongness of this must have a reason.

Therefore I am to be blamed. The wrongness is that this cause is punishing me.

I am guilty.

I am must answer for my wrongness.

I must repent to appease this supernatural cause.

Brilliant!

I find Islam to be so very much similar to traditional Polytheism.

Allah creates this universe, within its vast scale there are many celestial bodies, amongst which there is the solar system and planet earth, within which there are humans, and these humans are faulty by nature and thus predisposed to acting in manners that are not in concordance with Allah's liking of what human's are supposed to be like. Allah thus punishes humans accordingly. Human existence is perpetuated by this law. Allah waits for you to do what you do and then responds to your actions once you are done with them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Supreme Being. But based upon my analysis of this structure on how this universe is being run from the scale of the Supreme, I'd say this is really shitty.

Doing things on purpose, while being solely responsible for them but have them ending up not according to your liking and then getting all emotional and violent about it...

now that is awfully female.
     Reply #18 - November 27, 2010, 04:45 AM

Honey, you need to stop bowing down to your silly sky fairy. Its been running things for the past few thousand years and its obvious how the methods its employs to get what it wants have been futile. I mean after while its got to realize that its got to spare us of this nonsense, cuz it ain't very effective nor respectable.
     Reply #19 - November 27, 2010, 08:19 AM

wow okay so i re read what i wrote last night and it makes me sound like a complete idiot... but i think its just because i realised everything I've believed in maybe isnt true. but im not a typical fanatical muslim im actually just a normal teenager
    ive been brought up in a very liberal way by my mum (she is a convert herself), however it is my dad that is 'religious' in the sense that while he dosent pray/ give charity etc he feels he's muslim just because his daughters are coverd up stupid i know. but ishould emphasise earing the hijab was ultimately my choice and it felt good at the time
    i guess im just looking for answers, i dont understand ive laways had some sort of belief that theres someone up there looking after people whether islam was the right way or any other religion, and i believd that as long as you were a good person i.e honest, charitable, compassionate you would go to heaven and be happy in this life whatever religion you are.
    I think the reason i believed soo strongly in all of this is because im from east london and surrounded by muslims, the majority of my best friends are muslims with similar or more traditional views to mine.
    After last year though and my break up(which was related to religion/culture) i startted praying more and honestly seeing it as my fault and a warning for the future, also my beautiful mother who has always been very relaxed abourt religion with her kids was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, which in my confused mind related it to the wrong i had done. i then found myself praying more and more and constantly in tears. But the reason im here is becasue i just started university recently and have met some of the best people buut according to my religion they will go to hell eitheir for their sexuality or just because they drink and this realy got me thinking hw can that be right, theyre good people
    im just looking for help with all of these quetions running through my mind. Cry
     Reply #20 - November 27, 2010, 08:22 AM

i dont even no anymore there was a time when it made complete sense as a way of life now it doesnt and i find myself questioning it more znd more. But at the same time even now im still thinking maybe this is the devil doing it to me or its a test
     Reply #21 - November 27, 2010, 08:29 AM

i startted praying more and honestly seeing it as my fault and a warning for the future, also my beautiful mother who has always been very relaxed abourt religion with her kids was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, which in my confused mind related it to the wrong i had done.

Now "god" is apparently punishing somebody else for what you have done. Again, what does that tell you about the nature of such "god"?
     Reply #22 - November 27, 2010, 08:30 AM

i dont even no anymore there was a time when it made complete sense as a way of life now it doesnt and i find myself questioning it more znd more. But at the same time even now im still thinking maybe this is the devil doing it to me or its a test

dear Aisha123  what is happening to you "It is called Growing up".. Don't worry about Allah.. don't worry about Questioning Islam .,  for some time use "Golden rule" in your life.,  as much as possible if not 100%., I tell you you will feel better than praying to any Allah/god..Mosque..etc..etc..

with best
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #23 - November 27, 2010, 08:31 AM

i dont knw my muslim side would say its all a test or that God is doing it 4 our own good but my rational, intellecctual side says that doesnt make sense..
     Reply #24 - November 27, 2010, 08:32 AM

Golden rule?
     Reply #25 - November 27, 2010, 08:40 AM

Golden rule?

http://forum09.faithfreedom.org/viewtopic.php?p=40859#p40859

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #26 - November 27, 2010, 08:41 AM

Welcome to the forum, Aisha. You're obviously torn between two conflicting perspectives on what's happening in your life, nonetheless, I believe everyone should have a healthy scepticism of ideas especially religion and I think you may be reaching a turning point in your life in regards to your personal beliefs about 'god' and the universe so my advice is to keep level headed about the issues and be objective.

Here, you will find plenty of information on Islam and religion in general. Hope you stick around, and keep your chin up. Wink

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #27 - November 27, 2010, 08:41 AM

i dont knw my muslim side would say its all a test or that God is doing it 4 our own good but my rational, intellecctual side says that doesnt make sense..

It does makes sense if god is evil.

How would you feel if you got arrested because your neighbour stole a car?

That would be wrong, wouldn't it?

Hence the judicial system in this country is infinitely more fair, moral and therefore superior compared to the one you described which apparently comes from god.

So, is god evil?
     Reply #28 - November 27, 2010, 08:43 AM

By far the most important part of this 'test' is to ascertain whether you believe or not. Whether you believe that Allah with all his human flaws (jealousy, vanity, violence, anger, homophobia, sexism) is the true God and that the Quran is his word. If you don't believe this you will be sent to hell forever. Punishments for all other crimes are irrelevant, because they are finite. A million billion years in hell is insignificant compared with an eternity, infinity. Do you really think a just God, an 'all-living', 'all-merciful' god would punish someone for the crime of disbelief? A completely harmless 'crime'? I wouldn't wish eternal, incomprehensible torture on my worst enemy, yet needless, unaffectable Allah would do so because someone didn't believe in him. Belief isn't a choice, nobody can choose what they actually believe. None of us are here because we decided to disbelieve in Allah. It just happened, we lost belief, no matter what we do we can't force ourselves to believe in Allah. Is it in any way fair that we should be punished for that, and so severely? Most muslims are muslim because they were born to muslim parents. Most non-muslims are so because they were born into non-muslim families. Do you really believe all those people will go to hell forever? For an accident of birth?
     Reply #29 - November 27, 2010, 08:44 AM

wow okay so i re read what i wrote last night and it makes me sound like a complete idiot... but i think its just because i realised everything I've believed in maybe isnt true. but im not a typical fanatical muslim im actually just a normal teenager
    ive been brought up in a very liberal way by my mum (she is a convert herself), however it is my dad that is 'religious' in the sense that while he dosent pray/ give charity etc he feels he's muslim just because his daughters are coverd up stupid i know. but ishould emphasise earing the hijab was ultimately my choice and it felt good at the time
    i guess im just looking for answers, i dont understand ive laways had some sort of belief that theres someone up there looking after people whether islam was the right way or any other religion, and i believd that as long as you were a good person i.e honest, charitable, compassionate you would go to heaven and be happy in this life whatever religion you are.

I used to believe that too as a Muslim. It was difficult for me to believe that my non-Muslim friends would be tortured for eternity simply because they didn't believe in Islam. But that's not Islam. In Islam, if you don't believe that there is only one God and that Mohammed was his messenger, you burn in hell. For eternity.

Do you acknowledge that the MAIN reason for you being a Muslim is that you're parents are Muslim? Do you accept that if you were born to Hindu parents, you'd believe in Hinduism; if you were born to Christian parents, you'd be a Christian; if you were born to Scientologist parents, you'd be a scientologist? Now ask yourself this: what sort of god would punish people for eternity simply because of the accident of their birth? DO you think it is fair? Do you think this is just, that a God would punish you for eternity simply because you were born into the "wrong" religion?

I think the reason i believed soo strongly in all of this is because im from east london and surrounded by muslims, the majority of my best friends are muslims with similar or more traditional views to mine.

It was hard for me to leave because of that. I'm from East London and the majority of my friends are Muslim too, my apostasy was very difficult because of that. I felt alone, isolated and that I didn't have anyone to talk to. Leaving Islam isn't easy, take your time and use your reason.
    After last year though and my break up(which was related to religion/culture) i startted praying more and honestly seeing it as my fault and a warning for the future, also my beautiful mother who has always been very relaxed abourt religion with her kids was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, which in my confused mind related it to the wrong i had done.

Sorry to hear that :(

Don't believe for a second that it was your fault. Even if it was, again, what sort of god would punish your mother for something that YOU did?
    i then found myself praying more and more and constantly in tears. But the reason im here is becasue i just started university recently and have met some of the best people buut according to my religion they will go to hell eitheir for their sexuality or just because they drink and this realy got me thinking hw can that be right, theyre good people
    im just looking for help with all of these quetions running through my mind. Cry

Don't worry, they won't go to hell.......

....cos Islam is made up Smiley

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »